Not every new show will merit its own thread.  Until then, here's a catch-all thread for thoughts and comments.

Views: 799

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just watched Undercovers via my cable company's on-demand feature (Isn't living in the future wonderful?).

Ye gods, the two leads, Boris Kodjoe and Gugu Mbatha-Raw, are gorgeous. They're so gorgeous, they make your teeth ache. And it's kind of nice that Gugu Mbatha-Raw keeps her name; in the old days, they'd have made her change it to something like "Gina Mason." As for Boris Kodjoe, he's an incredibly lucky dude; his TV wife is almost as gorgeous as his real wife! He must have made a deal with the devil.

As for the show, it was entertaining enough; they're clearly going for a Hart to Hart vibe with the banter and repartee between the two, who are a pair of retired spies who get pulled back in for lots of globe-trotting and derring-do. It's a little more real-world than Chuck, but just a little; it plays up the glamour more.

And man, those two are gorgeous!
Y'know, when I saw the spread in Entertainment Weekly's TV preview, I thought, "Those two are gorgeous. I'm gonna have to watch that." And a show with a Hart to Hart vibe sounds like an excellent way to spend 40-some minutes.
Well, saw 5 minutes (maybe three) of Outsourced, and then flipped to a Tivo'd Daily Show. I give it 3 eps before cancellation.
Tonight we watched the season openers of Mother, Community, and Bones. Mother was exceptionally good. Community was typically good, and Bones was decent. (Jenn is the bigger Bones fan and she thought it was terrific.)
I have not, for many years, had much interest in any new fall season. When I was a youngster, barely past the time when we used to watch the television sets in the window of the hardware store and got our own set, I never missed TV Guide's annual "Fall Preview" issue. It's something that is long a routine of the past---like the ritual of, every January, looking at the calendar and figuring out which holidays fell on a work/school day (Yayyyyyy!) and which ones fell on a week-end (Boooooo!)---but I would pore through that "Fall Preview" issue, decide which shows I wanted to see, and then see how they fell on the schedule. With luck, none of them were counter-scheduled; the ones that were, I had to decide which show I would watch first-run and the other during the summer re-runs.

That's what watching television was like, folks, in the days before VCR's and TiVo.

But the vast majority of new television programmes, over the past fifteen years or so, have interested me not a whit. Of the programmes discussed on this thread, I have never heard of approximately 30% of them, and I have never seen at least 75% of them.

There are a rare few that have latched on to my interest. I'll get to those in a minute.

As all of you have guessed, I have no interest in the remade Hawaii 5-0. They are trying to re-invent the wheel, when the old model was perfectly fine. It's bad enough that David Caruso tries to mimic Jack Lord, over on CSI: Miami, and hasn't got a tenth of Lord's panache. But there is no way that I'm going to buy into a bunch of loose-standard twenty-somethings as being Hawaii's elite state police force.

Now, the Good Mrs. Benson saw the debut episode of the new 5-O, and her evaluation was this: if they didn't call it Hawaii 5-O, but it was just four cops in a similar tropical city, I would probably like it. She knows me well enough that she is probably right. I would even be willing to give the show a watch if it was something like Hawaii 5-O: 2010. In other words, it would make sense that Hawaii's state police force was an on-going entity, and McGarrett and Williams and Kono and the others had retired long ago, with others moving up to take their places. And the four featured now, on the new show, are simply the members of the state police who are there now.

In fact, I wonder why the producers didn't go that route. Why risk turning away fans of the original show, and if the target audience is those too young to remember the original, like CK, why bother making the new guys "McGarrett" and "Danno" and so on?

There are four shows, all of the returning, in which I do have an interest:

Big Bang Theory, which so far hasn't run out of steam

Two and a Half Men, which has.

The Biggest Loser, the only reality show that really does do a service, to both the contestants, and by example, the audience. I wish they'd stop tinkering with it, trying to find new gimmicks, and just go back to the basic concept: select sixteen or seventeen people who really need that kind of attention and put them through the mill.

Criminal Minds, which has fascinated me from the start. Even back when Mandy Patinkin was supposed to be the major draw, I found Thomas Gibson's character to be the most interesting---because one only saw bits and pieces of the man's character. I give major points to Gibson's ability to take a character who is stony-faced and speaks mostly in monotone and invest him with such humanity.

That said, though, I believe the show is making a mistake in trying to top itself each season. I understand that we have to see a certain amount of the death and misery and cruelty demonstrated by the serial killer of the week. Yes, I accept that the cute little family that we see in the show's teaser is going to meet a horrible fate before the opening credits roll. And other innocent people are going to suffer and/or die.

But in the last couple of seasons, the show has heaped on increasing amounts of horror and gore, to the point where it is close to overwhelming the viewer. The most critical mistake was killing of Hotchner's ex-wife, last year. (The fact that she did not die bravely, as the hearts-and-flowers fans of the show insist, but cowardly, is a separate issue.) That was the one last measure of grief that tilted the show too far. Yes, perhaps it is unrealistic, but it would have been far more cathartic for the viewers to see a happy ending to that situation.

I still watch the show, but it is no longer the "must see" that it used to be for me.

There are two new shows premiering this season that have my attention:

Mike & Molly. I don't recognise any of the cast of this show, other than Swoosie (named after a B-17, for crying out loud) Kurtz, but the chemistry is there. Like most shows Chuck Lorre has had a hand in, most of the humour comes from the dialogue. The cast hasn't quite got the timing down yet, in delivering the lines, but it'll get there.

$#*! My Dad Says. I don't think I would get along with William Shatner very much. He's probably a nice enough fellow, but he is too visceral---intensely so, sometimes---for me to be comfortable with. And he can come across as being full of himself. And certainly, he's been guilty of hammy, arch-acting, relying overmuch on a few stylisitic gimmicks. But when he applies himself, the man can deliver a top-drawer performance. (Check out his performance in The Intruder [1962].)

I discovered that Shatner had a flair for comedy in his guest appearances as "the Big Giant Head" on 3rd Rock from the Sun, so I planned to see his new sitcom. I watched it last night. He was a tad overblown, but generally delivered a solid comedic performance. It got enough laughs out of me, though, that I'll keep tuning in, for now.
Commander, I have a collection of TV Guide "Fall Preview" issues from 1977 through 2000, and I used to pore through them in exactly the same way you used to do. Years down the road, I would enjoy perusing them again to remind myself of shows I used to watch at the time but had since virtually forgotten. Sometime in the '80s my TV viewing dropped to almost nil but I would continue to buy those "Fall Preview" issues year after year. (As with Sports Illustrated's annual swimsuit issue, I used to say I read each publication "regularly.") I would continue looking back through them from time to time, but I never got the same enjoyment I used to because I had barely seen any new shows in over a decade.

Then in 2001, I simply forgot to buy one. The last time I considered it I noticed TV Guide isn't even the same size anymore and (IIRC) the contents were spread across multiple issues, so I gave it a pass. Yesterday someone at work asked me which new shows I'm going to be watching this season. I said to ask me again in a couple of years when they're available on DVD.
Commander, your feeling on Hawaii 5-0 are very similar to my opinion of the re-made Battlestar Galactica. Just wait, though. Later this season we'll have a new Rockford Files, too. Whether that will be a remake (boo!) or sequel (yay?) is beyond my current knowledge.
For me, I don’t like to watch sequels or remakes if I haven’t seen the original (and have any interest in it at all). For example, I have no business watching the new Hawaii 5-0 because I haven’t seen all of the originals yet. (Great theme song! We used to play it in pep band in high school.) The recent remake of V was another matter, though. Tracy wanted to watch because she had warm fuzzy feeling about the original, which I had never seen. It didn’t matter, though, because I had no interest in seeing it. We did find some cheap sets of the original mini-series and final movie on VHS which we watched during the hiatus. It wasn’t as good for Tracy as she remembered, and for me those are hours I’ll never get back. We stuck out until the end of the new VAngel and Lost on DVD), and were both disappointed to learn it’s on ongoing rather than a mini-series. Speaking of V and Lost, although I saw V first, Elizabeth Mitchell is Juliette as far as I am concerned.
I'm pretty much of the same feeling about Hawaii Five-O - it's not that I think it's a sacrilege, or an affront to the memory of Squirmin' Herman Wedemeyer, or whatever, I'm just not particularly interested in it. I think I also agree with the Commander that it would have been nice if the new show was "in continuity", the way Next Generation was for Star Trek.
Now, the Good Mrs. Benson saw the debut episode of the new 5-O, and her evaluation was this: if they didn't call it Hawaii 5-O, but it was just four cops in a similar tropical city, I would probably like it.

I agree with the Good Mrs. Benson. I might watch more episodes -- the new Danno's combination "New Jersey fish-out-of-water" + devoted father personality was fun -- but I'm going to have to ignore the names and just pretend this is 5-0: 2010. On the plus side, I get to listen to (an abbreviated version of) one of the all-time great TV themes every week.

Plus, you know, Grace Park in a bikini.
...if they didn't call it Hawaii 5-O... I would probably like it.

I felt the same way about those Mission: Impossible movies. (Another great theme song!)
My laugh for the day:

ClarkKent_DC said:
At first I was hot on Hawaii Five-O, but after seeing a bunch of promos last night, I'm not so sure. But then, I actually remember the original series, and it's clear they're going after an audience that doesn't.

Chris Fluit said:
The new show I'm looking forward to the most is actually Hawaii 5-0. And no, I don't remember the original- it was canceled when I was six- so I guess I'm the target audience, according to CK.

Commander Benson said:
Now, the Good Mrs. Benson saw the debut episode of the new 5-O, and her evaluation was this: if they didn't call it Hawaii 5-O, but it was just four cops in a similar tropical city, I would probably like it. She knows me well enough that she is probably right. I would even be willing to give the show a watch if it was something like Hawaii 5-O: 2010. In other words, it would make sense that Hawaii's state police force was an on-going entity, and McGarrett and Williams and Kono and the others had retired long ago, with others moving up to take their places. And the four featured now, on the new show, are simply the members of the state police who are there now.
In fact, I wonder why the producers didn't go that route. Why risk turning away fans of the original show, and if the target audience is those too young to remember the original, like CK, why bother making the new guys "McGarrett" and "Danno" and so on?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service