Not every new show will merit its own thread.  Until then, here's a catch-all thread for thoughts and comments.

Views: 1148

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As for the question:

Commander Benson said:
In fact, I wonder why the producers didn't go that route. Why risk turning away fans of the original show, and if the target audience is those too young to remember the original, like CK, why bother making the new guys "McGarrett" and "Danno" and so on?

... it's my theory that the a pre-sold property helps the show get the green light; it gives whoever has the power to say thumbs up or thumbs down one more reason to say yes to that project that the next project doesn't have. But after it gets approved, it has to stand or fall on its own merit ... or its marketing (witness the swift failure of Lone Star).
I remember Hawaii 5-0 not just as a weekly show; in the '80s, CBS reran it after the local 11 o'clock news Monday through Friday. It was a sacrifice on the network's part; back then, nobody was beating The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, no matter what they put on.

In any event, I'll give Hawaii 5-0 Version 2.0 a try at some point. After all, it's got Grace Park. In a bikini.
Cavalier said:
Commander, your feeling on Hawaii 5-0 are very similar to my opinion of the re-made Battlestar Galactica. Just wait, though. Later this season we'll have a new Rockford Files, too. Whether that will be a remake (boo!) or sequel (yay?) is beyond my current knowledge.

Is that project still alive? Last I knew, the pilot was a mess and they re-edited it and came up with a re-edited mess, and decided to re-start from scratch
ClarkKent_DC said:
The Big Bang Theory recently re-ran the last four episodes of last season, to lead up to the season premiere this week. It's a good thing, too, because I somehow missed the season finale, in which Wolowitz and Raj fixed Sheldon up on a date via a computer dating service ... and the woman was such a perfect match it was frightening. I can't wait to see where things pick up from there!

Well, that was a disappointment.

Now, I love The Big Bang Theory as much as ever, but I felt this season premiere was far from one of its best outings. Two of the defining characteristics of Sheldon are his absolute certainty that he is always right and his self-absorbed disregard for others, and it's tricky to do that and still make him endearing regardless. I felt in this episode, he crossed on the wrong side of the line and it made it hard to believe that Penny would still put up with him.

Penny's relationship with Sheldon is probably more key to the show than Penny's relationship with Leonard, and it's an admittedly delicate balancing act; I hope they do better in the episodes ahead.
ClarkKent_DC said:
My laugh for the day:

ClarkKent_DC said:
At first I was hot on Hawaii Five-O, but after seeing a bunch of promos last night, I'm not so sure. But then, I actually remember the original series, and it's clear they're going after an audience that doesn't.

Chris Fluit said:
The new show I'm looking forward to the most is actually Hawaii 5-0. And no, I don't remember the original- it was canceled when I was six- so I guess I'm the target audience, according to CK.

Commander Benson said:
Now, the Good Mrs. Benson saw the debut episode of the new 5-O, and her evaluation was this: if they didn't call it Hawaii 5-O, but it was just four cops in a similar tropical city, I would probably like it. She knows me well enough that she is probably right. I would even be willing to give the show a watch if it was something like Hawaii 5-O: 2010. In other words, it would make sense that Hawaii's state police force was an on-going entity, and McGarrett and Williams and Kono and the others had retired long ago, with others moving up to take their places. And the four featured now, on the new show, are simply the members of the state police who are there now.
In fact, I wonder why the producers didn't go that route. Why risk turning away fans of the original show, and if the target audience is those too young to remember the original, like CK, why bother making the new guys "McGarrett" and "Danno" and so on?

Sorry for the miscitation, buddy. That's what I get for only doing a quick scroll-back at 0400.
OK, I remember the original, but I was 10 when it went off the air. I like the new show, like that's it's called Hawaii Five-O, and don't care that it isn't "in continuity" with the original.

Jeff, if I had to go back and watch 15 years worth of a mediocre cop show in order to enjoy this one...I'd start medication.
Jeff, if I had to go back and watch 15 years worth of a mediocre cop show in order to enjoy this one...I'd start medication.

Fortunately, I hear you know a good doctor.
The original was on for 15 years!? Yikes. It's not really that I feel I have to watch the original in order to enjoy the remake; I just prefer to experience the original version (of anything) first.

Don't worry, though; it's not on my list of things to do. Watching all of Bonanza is, but first I have to convince Tracy she likes it (which may take longer than watching the series itself).
It's quite all right. I still get a kick out of over all those times people confused my postings for those of DneColt, and vice versa ... even after he stopped using an image of The Spirit as his avatar.

Commander Benson said:
ClarkKent_DC said:
My laugh for the day:

ClarkKent_DC said:
At first I was hot on Hawaii Five-O, but after seeing a bunch of promos last night, I'm not so sure. But then, I actually remember the original series, and it's clear they're going after an audience that doesn't.

Chris Fluit said:
The new show I'm looking forward to the most is actually Hawaii 5-0. And no, I don't remember the original- it was canceled when I was six- so I guess I'm the target audience, according to CK.

Commander Benson said:
Now, the Good Mrs. Benson saw the debut episode of the new 5-O, and her evaluation was this: if they didn't call it Hawaii 5-O, but it was just four cops in a similar tropical city, I would probably like it. She knows me well enough that she is probably right. I would even be willing to give the show a watch if it was something like Hawaii 5-O: 2010. In other words, it would make sense that Hawaii's state police force was an on-going entity, and McGarrett and Williams and Kono and the others had retired long ago, with others moving up to take their places. And the four featured now, on the new show, are simply the members of the state police who are there now.

Sorry for the miscitation, buddy. That's what I get for only doing a quick scroll-back at 0400.
Ya know I don't think I ever saw an episode of the original Hawaii 5-0 series. They showed it in reruns all the time around here, I would stick around for the opening and then change the channel to some other rerun I was more interested in.
Doc Beechler said:

Chuckle! We're off to the races, again.

It's probably a matter of perspective. I saw the pilot when it aired back in 1968 (while visiting my aunt and uncle's farm in DeGraff, Ohio) and watched it until it went off the air in 1980. Until it got passed by Law & Order in 2003, Hawaii Five-0 was the longest running crime show on American television.

I see where you're coming fron, Doc, in your evaluation of Hawaii Five-0 as "mediocre". The last three seasons or so were simply going on intertia. Especially the last season, when most of the long-time regulars were gone and McGarrett headed a mostly all-new crew. The chemistry between the earlier regulars was gone at that point.

The real draw of the show, for many seasons, was the juxtaposition of seeing the elabourate plan of that episode's villain(s) come to fruition with the painstaking efforts of Five-0 to unravel them. Not that the bad guys were sympathetic---they rarely were---but they had devoted such meticulous effort in the machinations that one was almost sorry for them when McGarrett and crew began to take them apart.

While not a police procedural, the boys at Five-0 did not rely upon unlikely leaps of logic, like a good many detective shows of the late '60's and '70's did. The pieces of the puzzle were assiduously put together. One of the great setpieces of the show was the chalkboard in McGarrett's office. Often the villains had access to the most sophsiticated equipment of the day to carry out their evil doings. Yet, McGarrett and his team would sit in his office and list all the gathered facts on that chalkboard and then think it through, until they found the connexion.

The chemistry between the regulars was important, since the show---like Law & Order---rarely delved into the personal lives of the Five-0 agents. There were occasional references to their pasts and infrequently, a relative might show up for an episode. (In a neat touch, one of the few historical details we know about Steve McGarrett is that he was a graduate of the Naval Academy. That was never mentioned in dialogue on screen; we know this from his graduation diploma from the Academy that hung on the wall directly behind his desk chair.)

Consequently, any sense of involvement with the regulars came from their interaction with each other. McGarrett was hard-nosed, all-business, relentless, and the infrequent times he smiled, it seemed more like a death-like rictus. But it felt genuine---unlike David Caruso's portrayal of Lieutenant Horatio Caine on CSI: Miami. He tries to channel Jack Lord's McGarrett, but it comes across as staged and affected.

Danny Williams, Five-0's second-in-command, was much more affable, but his mind was nearly as sharp as the boss's was, and the times when we saw circumstances make him assume the big chair, we saw that a different personality could still get the job done. Of the last two original Five-0 members, Chin Ho Kelly had a dry wit and Kono was the easiest-going of the bunch, but both totally professional.

A brilliant bit of casting was Richard Denning, in the recurring rôle as Hawaii governor Paul Jameson. In Ric Mayer's book, Murder on the Air (Mysterious Press, 1989), he points out that Denning was one of the few actors who looked stern and steely enough that it would be believable that McGarrett would take orders from him.

However, much of that was gone by the time you probably started watching the show, Doc. So I can understand your evaluation.
ClarkKent_DC said:
ClarkKent_DC said:
The Big Bang Theory recently re-ran the last four episodes of last season, to lead up to the season premiere this week. It's a good thing, too, because I somehow missed the season finale, in which Wolowitz and Raj fixed Sheldon up on a date via a computer dating service ... and the woman was such a perfect match it was frightening. I can't wait to see where things pick up from there!

Well, that was a disappointment.

Now, I love The Big Bang Theory as much as ever, but I felt this season premiere was far from one of its best outings. Two of the defining characteristics of Sheldon are his absolute certainty that he is always right and his self-absorbed disregard for others, and it's tricky to do that and still make him endearing regardless. I felt in this episode, he crossed on the wrong side of the line and it made it hard to believe that Penny would still put up with him.

Penny's relationship with Sheldon is probably more key to the show than Penny's relationship with Leonard, and it's an admittedly delicate balancing act; I hope they do better in the episodes ahead.

Well, y'know, maybe it needs Grace Park in a bikini. :)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"ISSUE #32: Despite the cover, this issue is a seriocomic and not-so-thinly-disguised tribute to…"
19 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Adams also helped Atlas Comics get its start. "
50 minutes ago
Doctor Hmmm? replied to Captain Comics's discussion 'Batwheels' premieres this fall
"I have to say, "Legion of Zoom" makes me smile."
1 hour ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
1 hour ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"The first Robin of spring, just hanging around...."
4 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
7 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"Nor these:"
12 hours ago
""He also says he’s been there before, hinting that he was reincarnated." Alec does…"
12 hours ago
""Who was later known as Louise 'Weezie' Simonson." Artists frequently use…"
12 hours ago
""I suspect that management demanded that the Monitor and Harbinger be shoehorned into every…"
12 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"Not these guys?"
12 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"ANNUAL #2: Swamp Thing uses his newly discovered abilities to go "Down Amongst the Dead…"
13 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service