Not every new show will merit its own thread.  Until then, here's a catch-all thread for thoughts and comments.

Views: 784

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It has been, recently. But until then, it was an unfunny hole where Parks & Recreation should have been.

(It may have been a better show than the two glimpses Kathy & I took led us to believe. But in each instance, we watched the first scene and then immediately moved on to something else.)

I watched Outsourced since the beginning. I may have missed an episode here or there. It wasn't great but it got better towards the end. With that said it's not something I cared if it stayed or went I watched it because it was on. I highly recommend the movie the show was based on. I"m pretty confident that even those who despise the show will enjoy the movie.

I was afraid Parks & Rec wouldn't come back when it wasn't in the fall lineup. Glad it's back. I've been a fan since the first season. The show has improved each season, this season has knocked it out of the park (pun intended).

Rob Staeger said:

It has been, recently. But until then, it was an unfunny hole where Parks & Recreation should have been.

(It may have been a better show than the two glimpses Kathy & I took led us to believe. But in each instance, we watched the first scene and then immediately moved on to something else.)

ClarkKent_DC said:
Chris Fluit said:
Rob Staeger said:
ClarkKent_DC said:
But it seems that somebody at CBS is absolutely bent on making Alex O'Loughlin a bona-fide star, despite two failed TV series (Moonlight, Three Rivers) under his belt. Maybe the third time is the charm.

There are some actors that networks have a feeling can carry a series, and keep pushing until they get it right (or give up). Simon Baker had a good stint on CBS's The Guardian a show that lasted but was never buzzed about), was a big part of Smith (a CBS show that crashed and burned) ... and was finally installed as The Mentalist, where I suspect he'll be for many years to come.

I remember (or at least think I remember) that Matthew Perry was in a few failed sitcoms before finally finding success with Friends and the wife from King of Queens had a couple of shots before that one as well. Sometimes the networks are right that they have a good actor/potential star and just need to find the right vehicle. Another example: one of the stars of Prison Break had previously been in the quickly canceled John Doe. Of course, sometimes they're not right. But I'm not assuming Hawaii 5-0 will suck just because Moonlight did.

Oh, man ... Matthew Perry was in one absolutely dreadful show called Second Chance back in the '80s. Kiel Martin, fresh off Hill Street Blues, played a guy who died but wasn't admitted into Heaven or Hell because his record in life wasn't clean enough or rotten enough for either place to accept him. So, instead, he was given the chance to guide his younger self, Chazz -- played by Matthew Perry -- onto the straight-and-narrow, despite the negative influence of his best bud, Bootch. A few episodes in, they dropped that angle and made it a outright buddy comedy, boosting the raunch factor in the wake of the then-new Married ... With Children. Matthew Perry is lucky he even has a career after that mess.

Speaking of Matthew Perry and Second Chance, somebody out there noticed that the pilot episode, which aired in 1987, had Moammar Khadafy getting killed in the future year of ... 2011! See here: " Whoa: '87 Matthew Perry Sitcom Correctly Predicted the Year of Ga...

The original Hawaii Five O was on for 12 years!   Ending in 1980 or 81.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

The original was on for 15 years!? Yikes. It's not really that I feel I have to watch the original in order to enjoy the remake; I just prefer to experience the original version (of anything) first.

Don't worry, though; it's not on my list of things to do. Watching all of Bonanza is, but first I have to convince Tracy she likes it (which may take longer than watching the series itself).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service