Not every new show will merit its own thread.  Until then, here's a catch-all thread for thoughts and comments.

Views: 1263

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ClarkKent_DC said:
But it seems that somebody at CBS is absolutely bent on making Alex O'Loughlin a bona-fide star, despite two failed TV series (Moonlight, Three Rivers) under his belt. Maybe the third time is the charm.

There are some actors that networks have a feeling can carry a series, and keep pushing until they get it right (or give up). Simon Baker had a good stint on CBS's The Guardian a show that lasted but was never buzzed about), was a big part of Smith (a CBS show that crashed and burned) ... and was finally installed as The Mentalist, where I suspect he'll be for many years to come.
Doc Beechler said:
I'm still amazed that anyone wears a tie. Those things just hold on to microbes people!

If I were worried about microbes on clothes, ties are hardly the first thing I'd banish from my wardrobe.
Ties rarely, if ever, are washed. A recent study indicated physician ties as a huge factor in spreading infectious agents in hospital and outpatient settings.
Ewwwwwwwwwwwww.......
Jack Lord's tie was Patient Zero with regard to such tropical diseases and Coconut Elbow and Penile Colada.
Thinking more seriously about ties for a moment, I'd argue that, at the time of the original H50, wearing a tie said nothing about McGarret's character -- he was a professional, and that's what professionals did. With modern, more relaxed standards for professional dress, I'd suggest that not wearing a tie is also a character-neutral choice -- it's the person who wears the tie who is making a statement with the less conventional choice.

(Ties may still be de rigeur for real-life plainclothes detectives, for all I know. But on an escapist, entertainment-oriented cop show, it's likely the least important department reg that will be ignored in every episode.)
Rob Staeger said:
Thinking more seriously about ties for a moment, I'd argue that, at the time of the original H50, wearing a tie said nothing about McGarret's character -- he was a professional, and that's what professionals did. With modern, more relaxed standards for professional dress, I'd suggest that not wearing a tie is also a character-neutral choice -- it's the person who wears the tie who is making a statement with the less conventional choice.

(Ties may still be de rigeur for real-life plainclothes detectives, for all I know. But on an escapist, entertainment-oriented cop show, it's likely the least important department reg that will be ignored in every episode.)

That was the entire point of the scene I saw in that promo: Danno chose to wear a tie -- although loosely, with his shirt collar unbuttoned, which is even worse than not wearing it at all -- and McGarrett upbraided him for it.

As for them being required for real-life plainclothes detectives, like anything else, it depends on when and where. For one example, the Washington Times used to frequently run stories about the federal marshals who fly undercover on airplanes: They were obligated to follow the Department of Justice dress code and wear suits and ties, which made them stand out like sore thumbs among all the tourists on those flights. No amount of complaining to the bosses could get them exempt from the policy.
There is definitely a coastal thing that happens in real life. I attend pediatrics meetings on both coasts and it always amazes me that some physicians, even if they are sitting in a conference audience for eight hours, in the dark, listening to papers being presented always wear suits and ties or, for the women, more formal buisness attire. This pretty much only happens when most of the physicians attending are from the east coast. Ties are much less common and colors noticably brighten at California meetings. As a fellow, I wore ties...but after I became a staff physician, I stopped...I pretty much hate them. I will, sometimes, wear them if presenting...but even then, I really need to feel intimidated to do so.
I remember my first day in the office at Outdoor Life, I wore a tie. At around 10:30, one of the other editors came by and said, "There's really no need for that." Since then, I wear them for interviews, weddings and funerals -- or the rare combination of any of the above. If I ever have another "first day on the job," I might do it then, too. But as a freelancer, I'm largely barefoot!
Well, although my company has casual Fridays, and casual summers (casual Friday every day from Memorial Day through Labor Day, extended into mid-October to coincide with the end of an annual company convention), I like wearing ties and feel as comfortable wearing them as I do not wearing them.
Same here. I'll get excited about the time the DVDs come out.

Alan M. said:
I would be excited about Boardwalk Empire, but I don't get HBO, so I'm not. :-/ The advance buzz on it has been promising, though...
Pretty much what Rob said except I wore a full tuxedo with top hat during my first day at Outdoor Life.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

ClarkKent_DC replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 972 Super-Heroines
"Well, in that case, how about She-Ra, from the Masters of the Universe franchise? And Xena,…"
1 hour ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"#1 (1976) #11 (1978) in between we got Cracky, Wacky Witch, more Tom, Dick, and Harriet, Dagar, Dr.…"
1 hour ago
The Baron replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
"The funny thing is,stuff like that is in development now..  Certain types of technology…"
2 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
"GHOSTS OF ILLYRIA: Remember how episodes of the first two seasons or so of TNG seemed to be…"
2 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 972 Super-Heroines
"Added: Acromaid Baby I.Q. Commandette Ghost Woman Gotham Girl Ladybug Lady Fantastic Lightning…"
2 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion She-Hulk
"ISSUES #9-30: I was buying this series because of John Byrne, not She-Hulk, so when Byrne left so…"
3 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 957 Super-Heroines
"Cool."
3 hours ago
"Anotjher good one/"
3 hours ago
"Oh, yeah, I forgot about her."
3 hours ago
"And another."