It's that (increasingly vague and amorphous) time of year again!

Views: 1278

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Based on its pilot episode, The Blacklist is (so far) my favorite new show of the season.  Yes, it's derivative and Yes, it seems to be telegraphing its "mystery" and Oh My Yes, that climax was annoying to anyone who knows anything about the National Zoo.

But James Spader seemed to be having a good time, and I had a good time watching him.

I was kind of underwhelmed by the two season premiere episodes of The Big Bang Theory. They do what they do quite well, but I'm finding it a bit harder to swallow that Raj hasn't realized yet that he'd be happier if he came out of the closet, and much harder to swallow that Amy thinks Sheldon's wonderful. I'm waiting for the episode where she wises up, gets her self-respect back and dumps him for being a bad boyfriend.

The thing is, the producers don't seem to think there's anything wrong with this setup, and that she -- and we viewers -- should be happy with the incremental moments of "growth" in Sheldon's character. But over the years, he's gone from being endearing in spite of himself to a straight-up jerk to being a narcissitic sociopath. And why should Amy want a "boyfriend" who is disdainful of her specialty, dismissive of her work, and regularly and routinely condescending to everyone within earshot?

Well, as promised, I watched the second episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. This one was more like the Law & Order of old, in that there was actually a trial. Oddly, Capt. Cragen was not in this episode, but Detective Munch was, acting as if he was the commander. When did that happen? Did he get a promotion to lieutenant or something?

As for the story, it was no great shakes. Entertainment Weekly notes that it wasn't just "Paula Deen shoots Trayvon Martin(!)" -- no, there was so, so much more there: "'Law & Order: SVU': Every Issue Shoehorned Into the Paula Deen/Trayvon Martin Episode"

ClarkKent_DC said:

Well, as promised, I watched the second episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. This one was more like the Law & Order of old, in that there was actually a trial. Oddly, Capt. Cragen was not in this episode, but Detective Munch was, acting as if he was the commander. When did that happen? Did he get a promotion to lieutenant or something?

As for the story, it was no great shakes. Entertainment Weekly notes that it wasn't just "Paula Deen shoots Trayvon Martin(!)" -- no, there was so, so much more there: "'Law & Order: SVU': Every Issue Shoehorned Into the Paula Deen/Trayvon Martin Episode"

I saw that episode as well, and I thought it was pretty good. I've never been a regular of this version of the show though. I do recall (last season maybe?) Munch had passed the Sergeant's exam and temporarily took over for Cragen. I noticed the absence of Cragen this episode as well, but saw him in the clip of next week's so he looks to be around.

Anyone catch Ironside? I didn't hate it, and I like seeing Blair Underwood on TV again as well as Pablo Schreiber on a regular gig. It is nothing great though. Another cop show in NYC.

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

Anyone catch Ironside? I didn't hate it, and I like seeing Blair Underwood on TV again as well as Pablo Schreiber on a regular gig. It is nothing great though. Another cop show in NYC.

I got around to it last night. I read a couple of reviews that weren't kind, like this from The Hollywood Reporter:

If you're old enough to remember the original "Ironside," you're out of the demo and NBC doesn't care what you think anyway. However, you won't be able to figure out why they remade it if you watch this remake.

If, on the other hand, you've never heard of "Ironside" and this version starring Blair Underwood is your first exposure, you also won't be able to figure out why they remade it or, in this case, made it for any reason.

I like Blair Underwood, too, but he hasn't had much luck with TV series in recent years. As for this one, well ...

Yes, I am old enough to remember the original Ironside, and, like the remake of Hawaii Five-O, it's not for such geezers who saw it back then and know what the differences are.

Like the setting. Trading San Francisco for New York is a step down in my book; it automatically makes it stale. There's a big country out there; let's see more of it! Plus, it'd be worth it to see this Robert Ironside tackle those hills. 

I have no doubt this Robert Ironside would; he could probably bench-press the old Ironside and his wheelchair. The pilot went miles out of its way to tell you over and over again that this Ironside is not your father's Ironside. He's rough, he's tough, the ladies love him (so, presumably, his equipment still works), and, in short, he's a badass.

He came off, though, like a bully. Worse, he came off like a stock character, The Maverick Who Doesn't Play By the Rules.

The mystery of how he wound up in that wheelchair was a bit of a shock, and well played, but it bothers me that Ironside 2.0 is a mere sergeant. The old one was Chief of Police! 

And the show, being set in the 21st century, was far more gory and brutal. My son wandered in during the scene where the sister of the victim in the Case of the Week was holding a man hostage with a gun, and said "You watch really intense shows" (the last time he wandered in when I was watching TV, I was watching the Law & Order: SVU season premiere).

But the biggest, and worst change -- no theme! Good grief! That Quincy Jones score was one of the coolest TV themes of ALL TIME!

I forgot to mention I have never seen the old version. I certainly know of its existence, but again I never saw it. Obviously, I agree with you about it being in NYC. That is one of the reasons I like Justified. It is set in rural Kentucky, you can't get much more off the beaten path than that.

He came off, though, like a bully. Worse, he came off like a stock character, The Maverick Who Doesn't Play By the Rules.

The mystery of how he wound up in that wheelchair was a bit of a shock, and well played, but it bothers me that Ironside 2.0 is a mere sergeant.

I agree on both of those as well.

I really love Justified. I came to it late but have caught up with all the seasons. Justified, like ALL of the CSI shows, is filmed in the Los Angeles County area. Even the CSI New York show was filmed here.

If you really want to see Blair Underwood at his best, check out his movie with Sean Connery, Just Cause.

Nobody's said anything about ABC's "Lucky 7," and now there won't be much to say; it's the first show to be canceled this season, after only two outings. They'll fill the gap with reruns of "Scandal."
Speaking of "Scandal," I've watched it a few times, but I can't get into it. I know people who are deeply devoted to it, who salivate over every twist and turn.

I like Kerry Washington; she's quite beautiful and she wears fabulous outfits and has immaculately styled hair, and I'm proud of what she represents -- the first Black woman lead in prime-time drama in nearly 40 years, and the first Black woman to be nominated for the Best Actress in a Drama Emmy in nearly 50 years -- but I can't get into the show, because it's just too stupid!

The other night, there was a special, "Scandal: The Secret Is Out," that recapped the events of last season to help new viewers get up to speed. My wife was offended at all the immoral behavior -- our political fixer has an affair with the President of the United States! A cabal rigs voting machines in Ohio to get him elected! POTUS gets shot and it was a Supreme Court justice who ordered the hit! When she confesses this to POTUS, he smothers he in her hospital bed! The White House chief of staff is gay, and his spouse is a reporter, putting his pillow talk in print! The First Lady is angling for her own political career! POTUS wants a divorce so he can marry the mistress! -- where I look at it all as happening in some Bizarro world I want no part of.

...What is the point of the new ABC series " The Goldbergs " ?????????

Or , rather , what is the point of its using the name of the famed- - in early TV " histories as well as OTR ones . - series about a Bronx , NY lower-middle/secure-working-class Jewish family...

...IIRC created by and starring (as Molly Goldberg) oen Gertrude Bloom .

I've never seen (nor heard) an episode of it , though a  fairish amount of the later , filmed , TV episodes apparently survive . There was a documentary film ABOUT the history of the series a few years back , which played here in (yes , I'm back in ,) San Francisco briefly ~ I didn't see it .

I thought that it might've been a good idea to play it as a double bill-length showing with some generally-agreed-upon - Three or four?? - classic episodes OF " The Goldbergs " with it . But NOOOOO !!!!! :-)

The same publicity picture from the series , of Gertrude,  in character as Molly , leaning outside of her apartment kitchen window , always appeared to recur in TV histories when the series was covered .

This included in the late 90s , when CBS celebrated what I guess was the 50th anniversary of the TV network as an a tive concept?? The 75th of the network in general?? with a brace (" Brace " doesn't mean " just two " , does it ? ) of clipfest specials , and in the appropriate one when " The Goldbergs " was mentioned ~ Here came that picture again .

Yoo hoo , Mrs. Bloooommmm !!!!!!!

Now , obviously , like ' The Johnsons " , or " The Smiths " , " The McGillicuddys " , " The Browns " , " Goldberg"  is a common enough family name that one could certainly have more than one TV family use the name ~ But , with the exact same syntax as the series' title ???????????

Oy vay !!!!!

The new Goldbergs was created by Adam F Goldberg and is based on his home movies he shot as a kid. You can see some of the original footage in each of the episodes.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service