We've done this before (here, here, and here), but now it's time for this year! This is a place for comments about any and all shows, but especially for shows that don't generate their own threads.

Views: 1912

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is Jarvis supposed to be a hundred years old in the present? How old is Tony Stark supposed to be today, considering his father was active in WWII? Or is everybody taking the Infinity Formula?

Wikipedia states Fury's father shot down the Red Baron. Seriously? Next we'll find out one of Steve Rogers' ancestors was the guy that caught John Wilkes Booth.

Ron M. said:

Is Jarvis supposed to be a hundred years old in the present? How old is Tony Stark supposed to be today, considering his father was active in WWII? Or is everybody taking the Infinity Formula?

Wikipedia states Fury's father shot down the Red Baron. Seriously? Next we'll find out one of Steve Rogers' ancestors was the guy that caught John Wilkes Booth.

Jarvis doesn't appear in the movies in the present, just the voice of J.A.R.V.I.S. ("Just a Rather Very Intelligent System").

I don't know about your other questions.

Surprisingly, the season finale of Covert Affairs became the series finale: "USA Network Cancels Covert Affairs"

A little while back, I watch the series finale of White Collar, a show I didn't even start watching until about three months ago. It caught my interest because I kept seeing promos for it during Suits, which I also wasn't watching. I guess I'm becoming a belated fan of the USA Network lineup -- I'm just beginning to pay attention to Burn Notice, although I have to say Covert Affairs didn't do much for me.

As for White Collar, I've caught a few of the second season episodes, some of the fourth season, and all of the fifth and sixth seasons to the end, although the sixth season was only six episodes long.

Anyway, White Collar had that light mystery/Mission: Impossible vibe. It featured the adventures of one Neal Caffrey, a master conman and forger who in the pilot (which I haven't seen), broke out of prison to locate his girlfriend just months before his sentence was up. Peter Burke, the FBI agent who caught Caffrey in the first place caught him again, but Caffrey finagled a deal to work off the additional time added to his sentence because of the escape by helping the FBI on sting operations to catch other bad guys. 

It was a breezy cat-and-mouse show. Burke never fully trusted Caffrey, with good reason; sometimes Caffrey would slip his leash and do some freelance stealing on the side for himself, aided by his pal from the old days, Mozzie. The show was strictly for entertainment. It wasn't portentious like Mad Men or making any grand statement about the human condition like The Wire; it was just fun.

I was actually at home tonight (no tutoring and no karate for once), and watched the whole thing first run. I'm not sure the last time I did that with any TV show. I thought it was fun. I hope we get some cool comics out of this.

Richard Willis said:

Marvel's Agent Carter debuts tonight.

That's what makes me wonder, if they're saying he was active 70 years ago, maybe he's dead in the Movieverse and Stark made JARVIS based on his braintapes or something.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Ron M. said:

Jarvis doesn't appear in the movies in the present, just the voice of J.A.R.V.I.S. ("Just a Rather Very Intelligent System").

Either Tony or his dad probably just used their tech-know-how to simulate his voice. It shouldn't be that hard.

Ron M. said:

That's what makes me wonder, if they're saying he was active 70 years ago, maybe he's dead in the Movieverse and Stark made JARVIS based on his braintapes or something.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Ron M. said:

Ron M. said:

Wikipedia states Fury's father shot down the Red Baron. Seriously? 

Seriously.  It happened in "He Fought the Red Baron", from Sgt. Fury # 76 (Mar., 1970).

There was actually some disagreement over who shot him down. A pilot said he did then a ground crew said they did it. The pilot then said he shot down a red Fokker, he never said that it was the Baron.

Officially, it was A. Roy Brown who shot down Herr von Richthofen. However, I think there was some actual dispute in terms of whether it was Brown who fired the killing shot.

Wouldn't it have been weird if his first name had been Charles?

Several people claimed credit.

Commander Benson said:

Seriously. It happened in "He Fought the Red Baron", from Sgt. Fury # 76 (Mar., 1970).

Leading up to this issue, DC's Star-Spangled War Stories had been featuring Enemy Ace, which was a take-off on the Red Baron. I have a feeling this inspired the Sgt Fury story.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service