We've done this before (here, here, and here), but now it's time for this year! This is a place for comments about any and all shows, but especially for shows that don't generate their own threads.

Views: 2024

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hope that frees up Margo Martindale to appear on The Americans more often.

I walk through the room sometimes when my wife is binging on shows I'm not interested in. Currently she's catching up on Homeland, and I've watched here and there. I can't see any reason to watch the show except to see just how crazy Claire Danes can get. She's always wolfing down the scenery, and yet she never loses her job. It left plausibility in the dirt a long time ago, I guess.

"‘Constantine’ to Stop Production After 13 Episodes, Remains in Con...

With any other show, such news would be the kiss of death. But in this case, because the show's premiere was relatively late in the season, they want more time to look at the numbers and consider whether to bring it back for a second season.

Happy Days's pilot was rejected, ended up an episode of Love American Style, the series went into Limbo for several years, finally got a mid-season start in January of 16 episodes, and ran for eleven years, long after the original star had left.  So shows have come back from much worse and become hits.

Yeah, but networks give shows a much shorter leash these days. I hope Constantine isn't canceled though, from what I  have seen it is good. I just need to get caught up.

Things are really different in a lot of ways. Bad Judge and A to Z were canceled, but they're keeping them on the air anyway, burning off all the episodes that have been ordered. They could have done that with Constantine, but didn't, specifically saying the door's still open. That's a good sign.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Things are really different in a lot of ways. Bad Judge and A to Z were canceled, but they're keeping them on the air anyway, burning off all the episodes that have been ordered. They could have done that with Constantine, but didn't, specifically saying the door's still open. That's a good sign.

Interestingly, they've changed their strategy on burning off episodes. It used to be that they would pull the show immediately and burn off episodes during rerun time. Now they seem to just keep them in place. This probably fits with the new pattern of trying to have new product almost year-round, which they have been doing the last year or so.

Richard Willis said:

Interestingly, they've changed their strategy on burning off episodes. It used to be that they would pull the show immediately and burn off episodes during rerun time. Now they seem to just keep them in place. This probably fits with the new pattern of trying to have new product almost year-round, which they have been doing the last year or so.

It's partly that, and it's partly that they're making fewer pilots, so they have fewer substitutes ready to go. The ones that are really good would have been launched at the start of the season; the ones that are halfway decent they want to hold back to give a good launch at mid-season so they'll stick. That leaves the ones, then, that are less-than-great.

So in some cases I guess they think it's better to burn off the shows where they are scheduled because they really don't have anything  on hand they think will do better.

It's fitting that Constantine is benefiting from a "Sticking with the devil you know" philosophy.

It's a lot more difficult to get a hit these days. Not like the 60s, where they thought nothing of cancelling Gillgan's Island when it was still popular and think nothing of it. Fox used to run The Simpsons three times a day. The show made fun of it in one episode by saying they were running Krusty the Clown three times a day because, on their channel "we got nothing else." How long did Fox survive off of Married With Children while their other shows kept coming in last on the charts?

Red Band Society's order is capped at 13 episodes. Unlike Constantine, it doesn't look like there's hope for a second season.

I talked to my twentysomething nephew this weekend, and he didn't even know there was a Constantine TV show! Ah, the lost youth of today ...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

The Baron replied to Captain Comics's discussion This Week in Comics: Aug. 15-21, 2022
"Or "list", as some people say?"
5 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I think three of mine have been reposted thus far this month, and I know I've done it a couple…"
6 hours ago
The Baron replied to Captain Comics's discussion This Week in Comics: Aug. 15-21, 2022
"Is Cyber Force a super-hero team?  Should they be on the lit?"
6 hours ago
Tracy of Moon-T replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Dark Shadows
"621 - The camera crew was off their game. The concrete floor and lighting equipment is clearly…"
6 hours ago
Luis Olavo de Moura Dantas replied to Captain Comics's discussion This Week in Comics: Aug. 15-21, 2022
"Crimson Storm's cover reminds me a bit of New Mutants #1, mainly because Cannonball has a…"
7 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Captain Comics's discussion This Week in Comics: Aug. 15-21, 2022
""What's your take on [Cyberforce], Legionnaires?" This is my take: "I'm…"
7 hours ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"And my apologies to JD DeLuzio - my only excuse is that 11 days is a long time! And the first one…"
7 hours ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
7 hours ago
Luis Olavo de Moura Dantas replied to Captain Comics's discussion This Week in Comics: Aug. 15-21, 2022
"Ultraseven is now published by Marvel, then. I wonder if it is licensed or an in-house IP."
8 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of Super-Hero Teams
"Thank you, sir, I have added both the ASH and the LDH."
10 hours ago
Captain Comics posted discussions
10 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"The Whitman Tell a Tale books were more like the Little Golden books."
10 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service