It's that time of year again!

We've done this before (herehere, and here), but now it's time for this year! This is a place for comments about any and all shows, but especially for shows that don't generate their own threads.

I was reminded it's that time again when I happened to catch a TV special on Friday night. Ken Jeong, of Hangover movies fame, was hosting a show that was full of nothing but promos for ABC's upcoming season. This includes Dr. Ken, a sitcom about a physician starring Ken Jeong himself, who was a physician before he became an actor. 

The new show I'm most looking forward to is Supergirland I have some interest in Quantico. I might give The Muppets and Code Black a try, too.

As for returning shows, I will be happy to have The Big Bang Theory, The Good Wife, Brooklyn Nine-NineAgent Carter and Chicago Fire back. I'm okay with Law & Order: Special Victims Unit and Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I'm lukewarm about Gotham and Chicago PD. And the two backdoor pilots for Chicago Med completely turned me off; I'd never want to go to that hospital. 

Views: 920

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

UNDATEABLE: I've been meaning to mention how much I'm enjoying Undateable this season. I liked this show to begin with, but after broadcasting a show live last season, they decided to broadcast this entire season live. I like live TV, and broadcast live seems to have reinvigorated this show. Most (all?) of the main characters are played by stand-up comedians, and acting live gives them the opportunity to ad lib, try to crack each other up, and break the fourth wall. In addition, each episode features a different band in the studio to play them in and out of commercial breaks.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Oddly, we've made it this far into the new TV season, and not a single show has been canceled!

According to AdWeek the new tactic is not to drop a show, but to cut back its esisode order: "Why Buyers Aren't Panicking About All the TV Shows Getting Trimmed... These days, it's better to leave a failing show on the air because there's no certainty any replacement will fare better, but it IS certain that nobody will watch reruns. 

It had to happen sometime: "Wicked City Canceled at ABC"

It happened again: NBC gave the ax to The Player, Wesley Snipes' comeback vehicle. The Wrap marvels at the fact that it wasn't even the lowest-rated show on TV: "‘The Player’ Is Canceled – Why Are These 7 Lower-Rated Shows Still...

I've never before visited this thread, but over the holiday weekend, I have binged on two shows that I wanted to comment on.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine: I realized the other day that this is one of the most socially diverse shows on TV, and it never ever comments on it. I'm sure it's not the only one, because I don't watch all that much TV during the week, but I love the way this show has a cast that is full of people who are Caucasian, African American, Latin American, gay, straight, etc., and never once does it make anything of it. Add this to the fact that it is one of the most smartly-written comedies since 30 Rock, and you have one awesome and important series.

Shameless: I watched all twelve episodes of season 5 yesterday and today. This series is completely depraved (and that is one HUGE understatement...), but this season really brought home the horrors of mental illness for me. Watching Ian go from being a very level-headed guy to being diagnosed with bipolar disorder really took me to a place where I could come much closer to understanding it. Wow. This show is painful, hilarious, gut-wrenching, and stomach-turning, and then hilarious again all at the same time.

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

I've never before visited this thread, but over the holiday weekend, I have binged on two shows that I wanted to comment on.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine: I realized the other day that this is one of the most socially diverse shows on TV, and it never ever comments on it. I'm sure it's not the only one, because I don't watch all that much TV during the week, but I love the way this show has a cast that is full of people who are Caucasian, African American, Latin American, gay, straight, etc., and never once does it make anything of it. Add this to the fact that it is one of the most smartly-written comedies since 30 Rock, and you have one awesome and important series.

I like that, too, especially as they were smart enough to make full use of the cast and not let it be "The Andy Samberg Show."

The two leaders are Black men, but they're from different molds: the captain is taciturn and humorless where the sergeant is passionate, but both care about their people and get the best from them. And there are two Latina women, but they're from different molds: one is eager, cute and something of a suckup, while the other is driven and no-nonsense. The other three guys, frankly, creep me out, but this is a workplace comedy, where such characters are to be found.

Supergirl gets a full-season pickup! "CBS Orders Seven More Episodes of Supergirl"

TV Cheat Sheet handicaps which TV shows are not long for the world: "13 TV Shows for Men Likely to Get the Ax After This Season"

And word leaked out via Twitter and Facebook -- from two actors in the cast -- that Mike and Molly is in its sixth and final season. CBS didn't want it any more, and the producers found no takers when they tried to shop it elsewhere. 

I think that's the purpose of Hitchcock and Scully, to be honest. I really like Doyle (Joe Lo Truglio), though. He is the kind of guy who creeps you out, but then you realize after awhile what a loyal friend he is to Samberg and really any other character on that show. He's the guy most of us never really think about until he takes a bullet for us.

(And I have secret hopes that, one day, Hitchcock and Scully will be the actual heroes in an episode.)

ClarkKent_DC said:

The other three guys, frankly, creep me out, but this is a workplace comedy, where such characters are to be found.

Man, I have to say that I binged Fargo Season One over the weekend, and holy crap was that ever fantastic! I've been watching season two on and off throughout the fall, but I have started back from the first episode last night and this evening and just watched for more and more connections with the first season and the movie, loving every second of it.

Colin Hanks, Billy Bob Thornton, Kirsten Dunst, Ted Danson, Nick Offerman, Jean Smart, Keith Carradine... Wow. What amazing performances all around.

We've been watching the Fargo series every week of both season one and season two. No need to binge. Tonight we'll watch the final episode of season two. It entirely lives up to the original movie in style and clever writing. The actors in both seasons have been well-cast and top-notch.

I see that, after two seasons, the science fiction series Extant has been cancelled. Too bad. It had a high standard of writing and excellent special effects.

Yep, Fargo is about as good as it gets. I like how it seems to exist in a Cohen-verse and references scenes from some of their other movies like Miller's Crossing and No Country for Old Men.

I've been binging on Season 2 of The Leftovers this week. Really good stuff from Damon Lindelof. Anyone who liked the sort of bizarre esoteric aspects of his work on Lost would probably enjoy this show.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service