It's that time of year again!
Continuing the tradition started by Doctor Hmmm? back in 2010, and followed inconsistently since (2011201320142015201620172018 and 2019), here's a catchall thread about any and all shows debuting or returning this fall, with an emphasis on the shows that don't generate their own threads.

Views: 340

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I remember the original One Day at a Time (and miss the late Bonnie Franklin), and find this version a little jarring in that it's similar but not the same. Kind of like how someone who grew up watching George Reeves on The Adventures of Superman might regard Dean Cain on Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.

I haven't seen any of the Netflix episodes; it didn't make them available when the show moved to Pop! Maybe those were the ones the critics were drooling over. The ones I've seen, on Pop! and CBS are pleasant, but no great shakes. (The Very Special Episode, which was animated, dealt with the family preparing to handle a visit from their right-wing cousins from Florida. Like Very Special Episodes, it tried too hard.)

It's a nice little show, and I hope it finds a new berth. I also hope Netflix frees up the other episodes when it moves.

Also, this shows how, these days, ratings aren't the driver for why shows get canceled. Pop! has moved away from scripted shows, which seems odd to me; people barely noticed it existed until it put on Schitt's Creek.

Here's a piece from The Hollywood Reporter about the corporate machinations behind One Day at a Time's moves from one platform to another: "'One Day at a Time' Canceled at ViacomCBS; Sony to Shop Former Pop Comedy"

We saw the earlier seasons of the show on Netflix, which are still available there. Production of this show shouldn't be too expensive (it's almost a one-set stage play), so hopefully it will continue somewhere. It sounds like Sony is really "bullish" on relocating it.

Superstore readies for a clearance sale. From TVLine: "Superstore Ending With Season 6"

There's no tomorrow for One Day at a Time. 

From Deadline: "‘One Day at a Time’ “Officially Over” As Efforts to Find New Home Come to an End"

From Entertainment Every Four or Five Weeks"One Day at a Time Executive Producers Reveal the Stories You Never Got to See"

Everybody gets a happy ending, more or less. One regret: They never managed to get Valerie Bertinelli in an episode.

One Day at a Time co-showrunner Gloria Calderón Kellett released the loglines of the episodes that didn't get filmed in Season 4.

From TVLine: "One Day at a Time's Final 6 Episodes Revealed: Here's What Would Have Happened In the Back Half of Season 4"

In the "everything old is new again" vein, there were announcements today for revivals of Night Court, Little House on the Prairie, All My Children (as a prime-time series) and L.A. Law, plus a spinoff of Superstore featuring Cheyenne and her dim-bulb husband Bo.

You should give it another try. It's a good show.

ClarkKent_DC said:

I have tried B Positive a few times and found it pleasant (except for the creepy opening credits, which they've toned down a little). It rests very heavily on the charm of Annaleigh Ashford, and needs to, since Thomas Middleditch's character is such a sad sack. Fortunately, she's the stronger half of this odd couple.

One critic noted that she doesn't say her lines so much as sing them, which is an apt description, owing to her background as a Broadway musical star. Without her, this show would be nothing. 

The other day I watched the first episode of Mr. Mayor, and I didn't laugh once. I won't be returning. A friend of mine told the second episode was a little bit better. It would have to be 100x better for me to even consider watching another episode.

I DVR-ed Mr. Mayor and Call Me Kat for my mother since she likes Ted Danson and Mayim Bialik but she did not care for either!

She did like Miss Scarlet & the Duke and I'm going to see if she likes the new Walker reboot.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service