Replies

• Don't scare me there. From the title, my first was that you were dead. Then I saw you started the thread so that theory went out the window. ;)
  • ......Alright , to start:

Two different celebrities have been in the news recently with at least th more sensational media prclaiming them " NEAR DEATH " .

They are: Randy Travis and Nelson Mandela .

Now , ignoring the considerable difference in age acheived by either person (Thus , a bit of a " man/dog bites dog/man " question in news coverage of them .):

Do you think there are many people , especially in the U.S.A. , non-related , who would be - somewhat - equally affected by both men's passing , should both deaths occur soon ?????

Now , of course , their acheivements were different:

Mandela was a leader of the South African anti-apartheid movement and helped , after enduring years in prison , lead his country to a post-apartheid future . Randy's accomplishments were that of an entertainer/performing artist/pop culture figure .

But , I'm just askin'...........

• I have a standing joke with my wife. I have a tendency to write off some well-known people, usually actors, as dead when I hear they are very sick. I do this unconsciously, and am very surprised at a later date when they are alive and kicking. I say that "I prematurely buried another one".

• I have a memory from my childhood of 2 grown-ups discussing the early death of Clint Eastwood whilst watching one of his westerns.  "Isn't he dead now?  Poor man.  Loved his films..."

They weren't exactly cinephiles.

The sad irony is that one of them is now long dead, and Clint is alive and well and discussing high politics with furniture on national TV.

• According to Wikipedia (I know, I know ...), Randy Travis was close to death a few weeks ago, but is now considered to be on the road to recovery.  Sadly, he's had a slew of personal problems in the last few years.  If he were to pass on, it would be significant to fans of country music for sure, and the over 40 crowd in general in North America would at least recognize the name.  I don't know how much worldwide appeal he has but I suspect it would be limited - country music, moreso than rock or other genres of music, seems to be very American.

Nelson Mandela, without a doubt in my mind, will be mourned worldwide.  He is one of the imposing figures of the latter half of the 20th century.

• I'd agree with John. In the U.S. Randy's death would be bigger. He had a ton of hits especially through the 80s, and country music fans are certainly loyal. I would consider him and George Strait the last of that era of country music. Before Garth Brooks (and those that followed) came along and it became too slick, over polished, and over produced for my taste.

Since all of his troubles have occurred near me I've certainly heard all about it in detail.

Knowing America's youth most of them have probably never heard of Mandela. They may bot be fans of Randy, but their parents may have at least played some of his music.

• You're kidding, right?

Randy Travis has his fans, both for his music career (even on kids shows, like this bit on Hey Arnold ("The Simple Things") and his acting career, like his turn on Touched by an Angel as a man with a mentally challenged younger brother (see here: "Fear No, Part 3" and here: "Fear Not, Part 4"), but Nelson Mandela is an internationally known icon of social justice.

Plus, there aren't a whole heck of a lot of country music fans, relative to the broader world of pop culture -- more than comics fans or jazz music fans, but far, far fewer than fans of practically everything else.

• ...On a board I have elsewhere , I have posted a thread - findable on the " start " page  - listing EVERY movie i have seen in a theater , or " semi-/quasi-theatrical situation , from some time in 2005 on !!!!!!!!!!!

A fair amount of " Our " flicks there .

http://www.delphiforums.com/ComicsTaterPop/start

• ...Circumstance has brought me up to San Francisco , my home for about 14 years - I remember that my leaving it came at just about the time the New 52 hit the shelves , actually !!!!!!!!!!! ( Can you say " stands " in this especially-cliched-then metaphor , anymore ????????? )

• Anybody hear about Dick Van Dyke?  His car caught fire, and he had to be YANKED out of it as he was trying to call for a tow truck on his cell phone and didn't seem to comprehend how bad it was.  Before it was over, his car was burnt TO A CINDER. Damn, he's lucky to be still with us!

This reply was deleted.