...Following in the massive footprints of the " Incomprehensible Idiot  " thread , I present...........

ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Views: 1174

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...I haven't time for a full post or a link:

But , in my ham where I get a " local San Francisco news " site called " Hoodline " - They recently ran an OTR-centered piece , a look back at San Francisco-set soap opera " One Man's Family " .

Try www.hoodline.com .

I have received 5 Facebook likes (so far) regarding my sharing of a post from the feed of my FB friend Skip Williamson showing his new grandson , Remy , held by his mother , Remy .

Bluntly , to be Debbie Downer here , the post may have been put up by Skip's caretaker - Some years ago he was found fallen down and injured on the street , presumably from an attack/mugging , and can no longer take care of himself  , or draw professionally or speak , I guess , on a " normal " level for many years now .

...Looking up Bud Sagendorf , I see this old post of mine ~ I may have seen an argument that FAMOUS FUNNIES had some filler puzzle/joke/whatever from , if not the very beginning , pretty early on (Also , that FF used , as well as well-known/highly popular strips , made use of quite minor , nonsuccessful strips - Maybe even already discontinued ? ~ might as well have the syndicates make something back on them !!!!!!!!!) .

In 1933 , Humor Publishing put out DETECTIVE DAN , one of three as-it-turned-out one-shots from this publisher which were in a larger-sized format which featured original comics material .

I can't find the info on the other two issued , this computer has blocks on it for the likes of Toonopedia and GCBD ! :-( Detective Dan went on to a successful , if brief (by " big " newspaper strip standards) ,newspaper strip run as DAN DUNN .

I have long seen that Siegel and Shuster submitted an early version of SUPERMAN to this publisher and that it was slated to be published ! But it never was , and that this , earliest known , vesion of the Kal-El story is lost...I saw a splash/presentation page from it?? , showing a waayy Art Deco rendition which is posted from DC -

well , here - dcartists.com/superart/JOE_SHUSTER.htm !

Richard Willis said:

For the 1933 one-shot, Famous Funnies-Carnival of Comics, the Grand Comics Database only lists the various strips showing characters and creators. There are no notations about the stories being reprints or new. It is likely they were all reprints because at the time the early comics were simply reprinting newspaper strips. The comic magazines (size/shape isn't important) were very popular and lucrative. Not until comics that could could easily be reprinted were exhausted did they go to the additional expense of adding new comics to the magazines. As far as I have ever heard New Fun #1(note the title) was the first one to include new material.

...In 1929 Dell attempted THE FUNNIES - which was , apparently , basically a stand-alone Sunday comic section  with entirely original comic strips nobody had ever heard of , with no Sunday newspaper attached , just as (as it turned out) the Depression was knocking upon the doorway !

Brilliant idea , dudes .

...TheComicBooks does some more discussin' of pre-ACTION #1 CBs . Let's see if this link goes up !

www.thecomicbooks.comnsp1-01.html

It seems to say that Famous Funnies started including original material with the 2nd issue of the ongoing series .

Any other opinions you or I may have of
him aside- I found it encouraging that Donald Trump seemed to give encouragement to the space program in his Inaugural address ! :-)...

...How do you feel about one of : our : movies getting an Oscars Best Costumes\Hairstyling nod ?

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was one of the movies nominated for costume design for the Oscars. I haven't seen it yet, but this is one of the categories that genre movies normally get as a back-handed compliment. There are rare exceptions, but most genre movies don't get acting, directing or best picture nominations, let alone win them, no matter how deserving.

...Thank you for thinking of another one , I was referring to SUICDE SQUAD .
Before the noms were announced I was aware of speculation that DEADPOOL might get a Best Picture nod , I saw a link to an article speculating that that I didn,t follow .

Richard Willis said:

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was one of the movies nominated for costume design for the Oscars. I haven't seen it yet, but this is one of the categories that genre movies normally get as a back-handed compliment. There are rare exceptions, but most genre movies don't get acting, directing or best picture nominations, let alone win them, no matter how deserving.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service