Hello Comic Book Fans,

It's the end of the year.  And that means it's time to look back at the best of 2010.  So here's your chance to nominate the best writers, artists, stories, characters, comics and moments of the year.  The categories are listed below.  You may nominate up to two entries per category.  You do not have to nominate for every category (in other words, you may nominate 0, 1 or 2 entries per category).  Nominations for "best single panel" should include images.  I will leave the nomination thread open for about a week.  And, most importantly, have fun.

Best Writer
Best Artist
Most Underrated Writer
Most Underrated Artist
Best Self-Contained Story (Single Issue or One-Shot)
Best Story Arc
Best Limited Series
Best Ongoing Series
Best Original Graphic Novel
Best Webcomic
Best Reprint or Archive
Most Underrated Title
Best New Title
Best Male Character
Best Female Character
Best Villain
Best New Character
Best Supporting Character
Best Team
Biggest Surprise
Best Cover
Best Single Panel or Splash Page
Best Fight Scene
Best Character Recovery
Best Superhero Story in Another Media
RIP Award for Fictional Characters

Views: 371

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Buffy - Yes, absolutely.

Jonah Hex - Just about, in the same way that Indiana Jones and the Question just about are.

Here's a (typically long-winded) reply I wrote to a blog of Chris's way back when:

If Heroes are non-costumed superheroes (they are), then you'd also have to include Buffy and a legion of her televisual predecessors such as the Man from Atlantis (remember him?) and the 6 million dollor man.

Buffy probably came closest to appropriating all the other tropes of Superherodom though, with her attempts to keep her 'secret identity' secret and supervillains and a coterie of paranormally-powered friends.

And then there are clothes or acoutrements that mightn't be capes and skintights, but are equally as instantly iconic.  The original Sandman's gasmask, for instance and even Noah's horn-rimmed glasses on Heroes.

Who wouldn't recognise Indiana Jones' costume even if it was just on a shop dummy rather than being worn by Mr Ford?  But then, is he a superhero or just a guy with a good right hook, like Flash Gordan?  But then isn't Flash Gordan a superhero too, especially with his distinctive costume with the circles on the collor of his skintight top?

And if they are not superheroes, then what's The Question, or his descendant, Rorschach?  Who would say Batman isn't a superhero?

For my money all the above are superheroes, essentially.  It is interesting how the 'costume-issue' is dealt with throughout the years though.  The big thing is the media they are in.  For some reason the costumes work superbly in the comics.  Perhaps the reader needs something recogniseable each issue which tv or film automatically supplies with a particular actor's physog.

[...] Daredevil and the Flash both have fantastically pleasing looks on the comics pages, but production teams have clearly struggled trying to translate that into what passes for 'real-life' on TV and movies. 

The adoption by the whole genre of a particular suit , chosen as you say for particular reasons and associations - ie Superman's strongman costume - seems a bit problematic to me.  Perhaps if each hero had been designed similarily thoughtfully after him, the genre wouldn't look so .... generic to outsiders looking in.  There was a reason Superman wears his undies outside his longjohns, but why later characters do isn't so clear.

Its an interesting topic.  Costumes, capes and code-names are a great alliterative tryptich* but possible the masks are where our heroes true distinctiveness lies.  I recently spent an afternoon in an ethnographic museum, devoted to the world's tribal cultures and their beliefs.  The masks fascinated me.  Comical or scary, recogniseably human or outlandishly grotesque.  Masks obviously work powerfully in the human psych as a means to transform somone into another person or endow them with super-human powers, or channel non-human forces.  In our modern world we are almost completely devoid of this constant staple of the civilisations that have preceded us.  Perhaps the only place in our culture where masks are depicted as connecting people to forces greater than human is in our pulpy, trashy comicbook tales, and it might expalin their appeal, in part.

But then there are masks and there are masks - Buffy Anne Summers rocks my world, but I probably wouldn't cross the street to say hello to Sarah Michelle 'The Duchess' Geller.

But as ever, our superheroes are a very rich area for ruminations.  I think one of the best superhero stories of 2008, by a long way, is Whedon's Dr Horrible's Singalong Blog.  I loved the way it brought superheroes all the way back to their pre-Superman pulp heroes origins.  The mad scientist in his lab-coat and the rugged hero in utilitarian black gloves, workboots and off the rail t-shirt.   As well as cutting costs and making the show accesible to non-superhero fans, I think Whedon was defintely nodding to where our brightly clad heroes grew from in the first place.

Sorry for the threadrot. Having an iconic look is a big part of being a superhero (being iconic is about being more than human), and the Doctor, Jonah Hex and Indiana Jones all qualify. Buffy just looks like Sarah Michelle Geller (for now!), but she's a fairly distinctive looking young woman all the same, and an icon in her own right.
Maybe my mention of The Ghost Whisperer and Fringe earlier aren't so off-base after all; the former uses her super powers (psychic powers/communication with the dead) to solve crimes, and the latter is basically a team of science adventurers like the Challengers of the Unknown...

You could also, I guess, count Chuck (everyday guy given extraordinary abilities which he puts to use fighting evil), too...

Alan M. said:
Maybe my mention of The Ghost Whisperer and Fringe earlier aren't so off-base after all; the former uses her super powers (psychic powers/communication with the dead) to solve crimes, and the latter is basically a team of science adventurers like the Challengers of the Unknown...

You could also, I guess, count Chuck (everyday guy given extraordinary abilities which he puts to use fighting evil), too...

I don't watch any of those three shows, but there is the added complication that Genre TV shows and films these days are made by people steeped in superhero culture. So modern shows have a lot about them that is 'superheroey'.
Two *great* choices, Jason!

Jason Marconnet said:

Best Splash Page. Issue 3 of Astonishing Spider-man & Wolverine by Andy Kubert. This one really needs to be seen in person. It's a 3 page fold out of Wolverine staring down Doom the Living Planet!

Best cover Green Hornet #11. The cover is by Alex Ross. Not a great series but it's had some good covers.

Best Writer

Geoff Johns

Gail Simone
Best Artist

J.H. Williams III

Fabio Moon

Guy Davis
Best Self-Contained Story (Single Issue or One-Shot)

Hellboy Beasts of Burden

Hellboy In Mexico
Best Limited Series

Mystery Society

Stumptown
Best Ongoing Series

The Sixth Gun

Fables
Best Webcomic

I don't keep up with many webcomics but I did enjoy The Night Owls on the now deceased Zuda brand. Some others to look at Ectopiary and The Phoenix Requiem.
Best Reprint or Archive

The Amazing Screw-On Head and Other Curious Objects

Starstruck
Best New Title
Best Team

Green Lantern Corps
Best Cover

Batwoman #0
Best Superhero Story in Another Media

You guys seem to be having an intense discussion over this one :) while I;m not sure I would categorize these characters as superheroes but I would nom Misfits TV series.
RIP Award for Fictional Characters

Nightcrawler

Thanks for the comments and the nominations, everyone.

Rob, I completely agree regarding Yildiray Cinar.  He was one of my favorite artists when he was working on Noble Causes.  I haven't enjoyed his work as much on Legion but I think you may have correctly identified the problem.  Dang.  Now I want a new inker for Legion.

Chuck Armstrong, just a quick note: the limit is two nominations per category.  It looks like you have three nominees for best artist. 

Sorry bout that I just cut pasted off a doc I had started to try and keep up my moms on. All changed.
Consider Guy Davis withheld.

Chris Fluit said:

Thanks for the comments and the nominations, everyone.

Rob, I completely agree regarding Yildiray Cinar.  He was one of my favorite artists when he was working on Noble Causes.  I haven't enjoyed his work as much on Legion but I think you may have correctly identified the problem.  Dang.  Now I want a new inker for Legion.

Chuck Armstrong, just a quick note: the limit is two nominations per category.  It looks like you have three nominees for best artist. 

bump

A couple more nominations:

Best female character: Frau Totenkinder from Fables, and Pearl from American Vampire.

Best male character: Ragdoll from Secret Six, Tracy Lawless from Criminal

Best new title: Scarlet, and Batman, Inc.

Most Underrated Writer: Art Baltazar/Franco (like Chris said, comedy is hard and they make it look easy. I'm crediting them as writers because of the dry-cleaner swap gag that kicks off the Tiny Titans/Little Archie crossover.) and Palmiotti/Gray for Jonah Hex, and the excellent Power Girl.

Best writer: Some of my faves have already been nominated, but I'll round out the group with Scott Snyder (American Vampire/Detective) and Brian Lee O'Malley (Scott Pilgrim).

My second nomination for best Superhero in another media is Hit Girl from Kick Ass the movie.

I haven't nominated best story arc yet:

Blackest Night

Brightest Day

Jason, the category is actually "superhero story" not "superhero."  So Hit Girl wouldn't qualify, though Kick-@ss would.
Oops. Ok, I'll nominate Kick @$$ then. It was a pretty fun flick.

Chris Fluit said:
Jason, the category is actually "superhero story" not "superhero."  So Hit Girl wouldn't qualify, though Kick-@ss would.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service