Anyone watch the premiere?

My take, short version: Meh.

My take, long version: This is Star Trek: The Next Generation with dick jokes.

My wife complained, "This show doesn't know if it wants to be a drama or a comedy." I responded, "No, it knows what it wants: It wants to be Star Trek. They throw in the dick jokes because that's what Seth McFarlane knows how to write." 

It's mostly just regurgitated ST:TNG. Quadrants, helmsmen, warp quantum drive, guns that look and act like phasers, Starfleet The Union, "Shields up!" (why are they ever down?), aliens with funny head makeup, an android sentient robot science officer, a holodeck, and on and on and on. Even the uniforms are similar.

All the tropes are there: People running through corridors, last-minute technobabble that saves the day, phaser battles where we don't miss and the bad guys always do (except when they hit the captain, but he is not seriously impaired), human pilots when computers would be more efficient, etc.

Which would be fine if this was a parody. I loved Galaxy Quest, and would watch a TV version of that. But Orville isn't a parody -- it's just outright theft.

And I still might not mind the theft if this was just funnier. But McFarlane seems to want to be taken seriously as a genuinely heroic character. That still makes dick jokes. 

Bleah. This has a couple more episodes to get WAY better or we're gone.

Views: 433

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It’s probably not worth the grief (e.g., cost, time, bad PR).

ClarkKent_DC said:

Why hasn't CBS and Paramount sued over The Orville?

Maybe because it isn't all that easy to sue. As somebody around here was wont to say (although not frequently enough to make it a frequently used phrase), "You can always sue. Whether you have a case is another matter. Whether you can prove that case is yet another matter. And whether you can win is still another matter. But you can always sue.

I expect any attempt by CBS and Paramount to sue Fox and Universal over The Orville would turn into a minefield. I'm sure Seth MacFarlane would assert he's doing a parody of Star Trek, and parody has been afforded high protection by the nine wise men and women on our nation's highest court. 

I also expect that CBS and Paramount wouldn't want a lawsuit to upend the various business relationships -- past, present, and future -- between all relevant parties. On a cost-benefit basis, that would seem to me to be a reason to leave well enough alone. 

But what do I know? I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Why hasn't CBS and Paramount sued over The Orville?

Maybe because it isn't all that easy to sue. As somebody around here was wont to say (although not frequently enough to make it a frequently used phrase), "You can always sue. Whether you have a case is another matter. Whether you can prove that case is yet another matter. And whether you can win is still another matter. But you can always sue.

I expect any attempt by CBS and Paramount to sue Fox and Universal over The Orville would turn into a minefield. I'm sure Seth MacFarlane would assert he's doing a parody of Star Trek, and parody has been afforded high protection by the nine wise men and women on our nation's highest court. 

I also expect that CBS and Paramount wouldn't want a lawsuit to upend the various business relationships -- past, present, and future -- between all relevant parties. On a cost-benefit basis, that would seem to me to be a reason to leave well enough alone. 

But what do I know? I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

Dave Palmer said:

It’s probably not worth the grief (e.g., cost, time, bad PR).

The TL; DR version. old photo old.gif

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service