Everything old is new again.

The genius of Grant Morrison's rendition of Superman sounds like he's jumping over the Silver Age version where Superman was at his peak popularity and depicting a modern version very reminiscent of his earliest appearances.  Superman as a reactionary rabble rouser rather that an icon of the status quo.  If that's the case, I fully believe there is the potential for this book to become my favorite current series.

It's not that we haven't seen pastiches of this Superman in relatively recent times.  Warren Ellis gave us a version when he wrote about "The High" in Stormwatch.   The High even looked a bit like the early Superman, and he shared the idea of using his powers to make the world a better place (most importantly) despite what the powers that be would wish.  He had some radical ideas that, if implemented, would alter the landscape of the world beyond almost any technological advancement.  The story arc "Change or Die" in Stormwatch is one of my favorites because of it, but the problem is that Ellis ended the story by illustrating that a character like that would be destroyed by the system no matter how powerful he is. 

What I'd like to see in the new Action Comics is Superman as The High, but without the predetermined fate that his rebel ideas are for naught.  A hero who cares not a whit about governments, corporations, religions, or other traditional world controllers, but at the same time isn't a Wolverine/Punisher type of psychopath.

Morrison may have the best version of Superman for me out there yet. 

Views: 411

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I must have had a bit of a brain fart by using "reactionary."  I was probably thinking reacting forcefully to problems, but I know that's not the meaning of the word.  I'm not sure what was going through my head when I wrote it.

In any event, this book is almost exactly what I hoped it would be.  I love this new Superman,and I'll be highly disappointed if his modern interpretation in his other books is that of his more traditional "big blue boy scout."

Question:  If Action is set when he first showed up, and Justice League is set shortly thereafter, how long is he in the T-shirt and jeans outfit?  I'll be sad if he starts wearing the armor in Action.

Whats the powers with this Superman?

Whats always put me off him as a character is the constant adding of powers,I prefer just a big strong guy who can fly and is fairly invulnerable,Heat vision is tolerable,but all the others teloscopic x-ray super breath super brain etc I can do without.

I must have had a bit of a brain fart by using "reactionary."

I suspected as much. (I knew what you meant.) and i agree with you on all counts.

Whats the powers with this Superman?

I'm guessing "able to raise tremendous weigths, leap 1/8 of a mile, and nothin less than a bursting shell can penetrate his skin." For as long as it lasts (which I hope is for the foreseeable future), this is the most depowered we've seen Superman since the Golden Age.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod replied to Emerkeith Davyjack's discussion All-purpose newspaper strips discussion
"ClarkKent_DC is a gentleman and a scholar! What's the strip after Marmaduke?"
5 minutes ago
The Baron replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"It's Bender's grandfather!"
53 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion DC's 1st Issue Specials
"LADY COP: WRITER: Robert Kanigher ARTISTS: John Rosenberger and Vince Colletta PEDIGREE: None…"
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I'll start the month with this recent beauty:"
1 hour ago
The Baron replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I'm reasonably certain that Astro Boy was the first fictional robot that I ever heard about."
1 hour ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"And it's December 1.... So here are Jed and all his kin dealing with a suitably old-timey…"
2 hours ago
Luke Blanchard replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion DC's 1st Issue Specials
"I think this was the first Metamorpho story I read. I like the original series, but this issue…"
5 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to The Baron's discussion List of Super-Speedsters
"How about MERCURY the SHAZAM Elder who teamed with the JLA/JSA/Earth-S heroes…"
8 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Emerkeith Davyjack's discussion All-purpose newspaper strips discussion
"Oh, very nice! Above and beyond the call of duty, sir!"
10 hours ago
The Baron replied to Emerkeith Davyjack's discussion All-purpose newspaper strips discussion
"Thankmyou mfpr your efforts, sir!"
11 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to Emerkeith Davyjack's discussion All-purpose newspaper strips discussion
"So there you have it, from A to Z. Happy 100th Birthday, Charles Schulz!"
11 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to Emerkeith Davyjack's discussion All-purpose newspaper strips discussion
"Zits:"
11 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service