I has now been six months since I stepped away from Little Orphan Annie, much longer than I had intended to. It occurs to me that it would be nice to have all those posts in one place. As soon as I get them moved here, I will continue from where I left off (February, 1938).

Views: 159

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Did Tracy tell you that? Yeah, if you throw enough jokes out one after another after annother, some of them are bound to score. (It's like an episode of MST3K in that respect.) We both found ourselves laughing out loud more during the second half than the first, and the post-credits sequence had the most laughs overall. I'll probably post something more about it later over in "What Movies Have You Seen Today?"

Yes,I get all my reports on your activities from her.  

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Did Tracy tell you that? Yeah, if you throw enough jokes out one after another after annother, some of them are bound to score. (It's like an episode of MST3K in that respect.) We both found ourselves laughing out loud more during the second half than the first, and the post-credits sequence had the most laughs overall. I'll probably post something more about it later over in "What Movies Have You Seen Today?"

OCTOBER 1938: Jack wakes up two hours after Ace has left and follows in pursuit. Ace, expecting the ambush, is carrying a gun. Not knowing Ace in on the road, Gudge plans to murder him tonight at their nightly meeting by the well. Shanghai sees him sees him walk into the orchard and decides to take Ace’s place. Meanwhile, four men with machine guns attempt to overtake Ace, but he fires first and rams their car into the cliff face. Jack catches up to find the truck okay, the cargo intact, the hired killers dead, and Ace mortally wounded. Jack and Ace have just enough time to say their farewells before Ace dies. The next day, Gudge is nowhere to be found. Later, Annie sees Shanghai with a wheelbarrow full of dirt going to fill in the old well.

And that’s just the first week of October!

I'm always amazed at how violent those stories were.

The next day, Gudge is nowhere to be found. Later, Annie sees Shanghai with a wheelbarrow full of dirt going to fill in the old well.

Aha! Never let a well go to waste.

OCTOBER 1938 (con’t): Looking for Gudge to ask him some questions about the incident, the sheriff comes across Shanghai continuing to fill in the well. Shanghai makes repeated “inside” references regarding Gudge that only he is privy to, but on two occasions he suggests that Gudge will be heard from again. (?) Over the next several days, many of the townsfolk discuss Gudge with Shanghai as he continues to fill the well. The job takes him the rest of the month. When he is finished, he asks Jack if he can get a ride on one of his trucks to a port city to “see the lights.” He meets with a group of rough-looking sailors led by a man named “Shark” in a seedy waterfront dive. When he returns, he goes from person to person, saying his goodbyes, then he slips off into the night, but first he sends an anonymous letter to the police telling them to look in the well for Gudge’s body.

With Ace gone, Jack and Rose grow closer.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service