So just for stars and garters, I decided to throw together a comic book quotes contest. I'm going to list 30 quotes, and your job is to identify as many as possible.Some of these quotes will be beyond simple to identify as they're so famous. Others...not so easy. In fact, I'm not expecting anyone to get them all, as you'd pretty much have to be me to understand where they come from.

Quotes span from the Golden Age to current times, and while they're dominated by Marvel and DC, there's indie stuff and other types of content as well. Most quotes involve one character, one panel, but there are a handful that feature either multiple characters or cross multiple panels. Also, there are some quotes that aren't actually quotes at all, but text from narrative captions.Scoring is as follows:

Identify title: 1 point

Identify issue number: 1 point

Identify character speaking: 1 point

Identify character being spoken to: 1 point

Identify any other relevant context: 1 point

So now that you all know the relevant details, let's get on to the contest:

1    I did it 35 minutes ago.
2    We mutants! We Slicer Dicers!
4    Where's my money honey?
5    Beer bong? This is a vodka bong now, P****!
6    I'm a nasty piece of work, chief. Ask anybody..
7    The planes' on automatic and I'm on the smooch beam!
8    For Asgard! For Midgard! For Myself!
9    Everything's fine...everything's fine...and life goes chuggin' along like a seventy-four Chevy Vega
10    Easy baby…it's all over now…you didn't think I'd let him hurt my flower girl, did you?
11    I may be a criminal lunatic, but I'm an American criminal lunatic!
12    Ultron. We would have words with thee
14    I did it! I'm free!
15    The Phantom Stranger is talking.
16    Si...and I would have defeated you all if the Teen Titans hadn't interfered!
17    Reed, what exactly are molecules?
18    No! Nuns in a station wagon loaded with high explosives! Just my luck!
19    Didn't suck
19    .Dead! They're d...dead.
20    S***! I'm Speedy man! What the f*** do you want?
21    Mr. Wicker, believe me, you don't know from invulnerable. I know from invulnerable…
22    Only one of us is going to walk out of here--under his own steam--and it won't be me!
22    The Batman, in full pursuit of the fleeing monk...
23    I found Vicente at home busily preparing a steak dinner for both of us. Two bottles of cold German beer awaited our parched palates. Vicente's good suit coat was nowhere to be seen
24    I think of Sarah. The rest is easy.
25    I mean, I'm god of evil. What am I gonna do?
26    Many are the things a writer is forced to do by the crash-pounding of his creative soul
27    Just remember, this was your own idea
28    Don't...be mad Rahne,..I..I'll never...do it...again
29    I have dealt with your kind before, superhero/ Beneath your gaily colored leotards, you are all conflicted, lonely and wracked with self doubt. There is only one way to deal with you people. Shirtless fighting!
30    Nobody loved him better than us. Nobody!

Good luck everyone!

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Should we respond with our answers here piece by piece, or by direct message? It'll probably make for a more exciting thread to do it out in the open.

• Definitely out in the open. It's more fun that way.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Should we respond with our answers here piece by piece, or by direct message? It'll probably make for a more exciting thread to do it out in the open.

• I think I can get the first one off the top of my head. Ozymandias says "I did it 35 minutes ago" to Rohrshach, Nite Owl II and Silk Spectre II in Watchmen #12, after he had explained his master plan. Dan Dreiberg says something to the effect of "don't do it!' And Ozymandias says something to the effect of "I'm not some Republic serial villain. Do you think I'd tell you my masterstroke if you had any chance of affecting its outcome? I did it 35 minutes ago."

• I assume we should do this without Google.

I had the Watchmen one that Cap got, which probably everyone else got.

Numbers 8 and 12 must be Thor, but I have no idea from where.

Number 25 must be Loki, but I have no idea from where.

• I'm guessing No. 4 is from Luke Cage, Hero for Hire #8, Luke asking Dr. Doom for his money.

• No. 24 is probably from Sin City, what Marv thinks to himself before cutting off the arms and legs of the martial arts guy.

• The second one is, I think, from the Dark Knight Returns. I'd have to look it up to give the details.

• No. 14 is from Amazing Spider-Man #33, as Spidey frees himself from the machinery in Doc Ock's underwater base.

• No. 26 is from an essay Gary Friedrich wrote about the creative drive in the issue of Justice League of America that guest-starred Harlan Ellison Harlequin Ellis. It has, rightly, been subject to ridicule ever since. I don't remember the issue number, but it had a Neal Adams cover.

• No. 22 is from a Captain America story, which I remember this very board having fun with many years ago. That's really all I remember.

This reply was deleted.