Views: 596

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...Okay , I HAVE revived my " The First Superman Story..." thread , which ( I think :-) !!! Well then , I would , wouldn't I ? ) might serve well for discussing the " first " Superman , the Superman of the earliest stories , perhaps streching it up to Pearl Harbor or so...I'm not putting a link up , as it is on THE SAME BOARD , YOU SILLY BLOOMIN' WANKERS! , ha ha hah hah , and I have some difficukties with my access/equipment/amount of computer time that makes that streching rhings a bit...
...Anyhow , I have had something of a philosophy that the Superman of the first few years might be said to be a different Superman - a different Man of Tomorrow from that " Kal-L Earth-2 Superman " that DC filled out the details on in the 70s , too - and who , along with his Lois , died in INFINITE CRISIS , properly , I believe - ( Or did DC reverse THAT ??!!??!!??? ).........I think the Superman of , oooohhhh...

...maybe 1938-41 , not only because of his differing origin(s) and level of poers , but his ( as demonstrated in the stories ) somewhat differing attitude and philosophy , might be said to be a different Superman...and there's a 21st Century mainstream-Superman-title story that suggests DC could think that , too !!!!!

Okay , over to my " First Superman Story " line...

...That article appears to be claiming that , in 2013 , the S/S descendants will get 100% of Superman , inas thing are now standing , including comics rights .

That true ?????

The way I read it, they'll get 100 percent of the Superman that existed before any "work for hire" was done for National, or whatever the company was called then. That is, the one described above.
I'm beginning to think that this judgement is a BIG factor in DC's new Action #1 and its revamping of Superman's costume and backstory. But we'll have to wait and see...

...BTW , is anyone aware that Malcolm Wheeler-Nicolson's children claim that Seigel and Schuster had sold Supeman to National/DC/whatever before the Leibowitzs?? took DC from their father , that he had just been , at that time , waiting for more finance to come along so that he could start an additional publication , and that they saw the original Superman strips ( Or , their proofs/for-publication copies . ) hanging around the family house many times ?

This bears no relation to the lawsuit , just for some more background on the Super-background...

Oh , and what was that early-times version of an early Superman newspaper strip proposal that involved only Seigel , no Schuster , another artist all together , that was more about a " Super-Baby " version of Superman ?

New developments: The court pretty much ruled against the Siegels on all counts: "O'Melveny Strikes Again in Superman Copyright Battle"

So far as the court is concerned, this never-ending battle is at its end.

CK's link has expired. The following link gives the info:

http://www.law360.com/articles/414921/how-they-won-it-o-melveny-res...

Anticipating this link also going away, to summarize the court found that Siegel's heirs had signed away rights in 2001; Shuster's heirs, in 1992. Their lawyer was found to be negligent in advising the clients to go against the agreements to bring the suits.

ClarkKent_DC said:

New developments: The court pretty much ruled against the Siegels on all counts: "O'Melveny Strikes Again in Superman Copyright Battle"

So far as the court is concerned, this never-ending battle is at its end.

Well, this saga has reached its end: The U.S. Supreme Court chose not to take up the Siegel family's appeal. From The Hollywood Reporter: "Supreme Court Denies Review of Superman Rights".

Arts Technica gives a quick rundown of the legal issues, and notes Chief Justice Roberts recused himself because he owns Time Warner stock: "Supreme Court Won't Hear Superman Heirs' Copyright Case".

Io9 is saying Jack Kirby's family likely made a smart move in reaching a settlement with Marvel mere days before the Siegels lost their last shot in the courts: "The Supreme Court Won't Hear the Superman Copyright Case"

I think we all knew they wouldn't take up the case. They avoid anything controversial.

Probably right about Jack's family. Marvel might have decided to tell them to get lost figuring the same thing would happen to their case if they appealed.

Perhaps the Siegel family could get the rights to The Reign of the Superman if they called him something else, but that character can't have much potential, even if he made that spaceship and got more of that gas before his powers wore off.

As for lawyers being negligent about advising their clients, I discovered that first hand when my parents were talked into an irrevocable trust by a lawyer that didn't bother to explain exactly what "irrevocable" was to them.

Ron M. said:

I think we all knew they wouldn't take up the case. They avoid anything controversial.

When the Supreme Court decides not to take a case they are implicitly saying that the lower court was correct. When they do take a case they are saying it might be right or it might not.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Captain Comics posted discussions
2 minutes ago
Captain Comics replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion R.I.P. Tom Palmer
"From the Hollywood Reporter Heat Vision newsletter: SAD NEWS ARRIVED AS WE FINISHED THE NEWSLETTER:…"
5 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Sandman (TV)
""They make changes for all kinds of reasons..." The combination of issues #9 and #13 into…"
27 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion R.I.P. Tom Palmer
"Well shit. First Neal Adams and now Tom Palmer. There is no one whose pencils Tom Palmer could not…"
44 minutes ago
ClarkKent_DC posted a discussion

R.I.P. Tom Palmer

A sad announcement on legendary comics inker…See More
1 hour ago
Richard Willis replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Sandman (TV)
"Jeff of Earth-J said: ...... some photos of the guy playing Dream but he didn't look…"
1 hour ago
Randy Jackson replied to Randy Jackson's discussion The List of Superhuman Characters who Can Split into multiple versions of themselves or multiple physical people
"Eclipso,  The Spectre and Composite Superman are good  Captain Marvel(Xam) doesn't…"
3 hours ago
Randy Jackson replied to Randy Jackson's discussion The List of Superhuman Characters who Merge Together
"Sounds like Robby Reed belongs on the list of characters who split. The others are good and will be…"
3 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
3 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"While we're waiting for Tracy to catch up, why not read today's Superheroes Every Day…"
3 hours ago
Luis Olavo de Moura Dantas replied to Randy Jackson's discussion The List of Superhuman Characters who Merge Together
"Vanguard's exact nature hasn't been clarified far as I know.  The composite form…"
3 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Eric L. Sofer's discussion Are any new books worth it?
"Okay, Eric, specifically for you... THE MARVELS by Kurt Busiek and Yildiray Cinar. 12 issues,…"
3 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service