Many years ago, I taught folklore at a summer camp(we had new campers each week of different ages, from 8-15). At the time, the folklore class was pretty unstructured, so I could more or less do as I pleased. Sometimes I told ghost stories, sometimes sports games, sometimes mythology, whatever I thought might be entertaining to the kids. One of the most useful things we did was two minute mysteries, as they allowed me to be lazy.

The basic rules are as follows: a scenario is laid before the people playing, and you're allowed to ask as many yes/no questions as you like to determine the answer. The answer to the question may also be 'Irrelevant' if it has no bearing on the solution.

I request the following :

* One question per post

* If you already know the answer, please keep it to yourself and let others play. Same with Googling the answer.

Once the scenario is solved, the person who solves it gets to post a new one OR they can pass it back to someone else who's interested (FYI, I'm happy to post more).

So here's the first scenario:

A man is found dead, surrounded by 52 bicycles. What happened?

Views: 17621

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No.

Peter Wrexham said:

Is it a cupboard or closet door?

A woman and her young son live alone in a house.  They have lived there since the son was born.
The mother has told her son there is a door in the house he must never open.  If he does their life together will never be the same.  To prevent this the door is always kept locked.
One day the mother leaves the house and forgets to lock the door.  The son can't resist the temptation and opens the door.  What he discovers does indeed ruin their life together.  What did he see?

The door doesn't lead into another room, or out of the house, or into a cupboard or closet.  Curious.

Is it the door to some form of storage (but not a cupboard or closet)?

Let me clarify my earlier question:

Does opening the door actually reveal anything significant that is on the other side of the door?

No. But keep going  you're asking the right questions.

Peter Wrexham said:

A woman and her young son live alone in a house.  They have lived there since the son was born.
The mother has told her son there is a door in the house he must never open.  If he does their life together will never be the same.  To prevent this the door is always kept locked.
One day the mother leaves the house and forgets to lock the door.  The son can't resist the temptation and opens the door.  What he discovers does indeed ruin their life together.  What did he see?

The door doesn't lead into another room, or out of the house, or into a cupboard or closet.  Curious.

Is it the door to some form of storage (but not a cupboard or closet)?

Hmmm, I'm going to break the yes no answer rule and say it's significant only to the boy.

JD DeLuzio said:

Let me clarify my earlier question:

Does opening the door actually reveal anything significant that is on the other side of the door?

Is it possible to walk through the opened door?

Does he see a photograph of himself with a woman (his actual mother) whom he resembles strongly?

Yes.

Peter Wrexham said:

Is it possible to walk through the opened door?

No.

Misery in Spades said:

Does he see a photograph of himself with a woman (his actual mother) whom he resembles strongly?

Is there any science fictional or supernatural element to this puzzle?

No.

Peter Wrexham said:

Is there any science fictional or supernatural element to this puzzle?

It will help to think about the first statements in the puzzle. They are ALONE in the house and the boy has lived there ALL his life.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"ISSUE #32: Despite the cover, this issue is a seriocomic and not-so-thinly-disguised tribute to…"
9 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Adams also helped Atlas Comics get its start. "
39 minutes ago
Doctor Hmmm? replied to Captain Comics's discussion 'Batwheels' premieres this fall
"I have to say, "Legion of Zoom" makes me smile."
1 hour ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
1 hour ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"The first Robin of spring, just hanging around...."
3 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
7 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"Nor these:"
11 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
""He also says he’s been there before, hinting that he was reincarnated." Alec does…"
12 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
""Who was later known as Louise 'Weezie' Simonson." Artists frequently use…"
12 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
""I suspect that management demanded that the Monitor and Harbinger be shoehorned into every…"
12 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"Not these guys?"
12 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"ANNUAL #2: Swamp Thing uses his newly discovered abilities to go "Down Amongst the Dead…"
12 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service