Many years ago, I taught folklore at a summer camp(we had new campers each week of different ages, from 8-15). At the time, the folklore class was pretty unstructured, so I could more or less do as I pleased. Sometimes I told ghost stories, sometimes sports games, sometimes mythology, whatever I thought might be entertaining to the kids. One of the most useful things we did was two minute mysteries, as they allowed me to be lazy.

The basic rules are as follows: a scenario is laid before the people playing, and you're allowed to ask as many yes/no questions as you like to determine the answer. The answer to the question may also be 'Irrelevant' if it has no bearing on the solution.

I request the following :

* One question per post

* If you already know the answer, please keep it to yourself and let others play. Same with Googling the answer.

Once the scenario is solved, the person who solves it gets to post a new one OR they can pass it back to someone else who's interested (FYI, I'm happy to post more).

So here's the first scenario:

A man is found dead, surrounded by 52 bicycles. What happened?

Views: 9413

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Is the problem that the remaining leg was shorter than he expected it to be?

That's not the component I'm looking for, no. 

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Is the problem that the remaining leg was shorter than he expected it to be?

"There's an element that's missing."

"That's not the component I'm looking for."

Do either or both of the words "element" and "component" hint at the solution?

Sadly, I'm not that clever. I do suggest taking a good look at the puzzle again. 

Peter Wrexham said:

"There's an element that's missing."

"That's not the component I'm looking for."

Do either or both of the words "element" and "component" hint at the solution?

Take "a good look at the puzzle again."

"If he had seen the sawdust he wouldn't have died."

Was the man blind?

Randy Jackson said:

Sadly, I'm not that clever. I do suggest taking a good look at the puzzle again.

Your comment about being stumped was a clue, so I thought that these might be more!

To review what we know so far.

If he had seen the sawdust he wouldn't have died

He died (in a residential building) because someone (not the dead man) sawed through his wooden leg (while he wasn't wearing it), intending to harm him.  While the leg was being cut, he wasn't asleep, drunk, having a bath or shower, or wearing a different leg.

Had he voluntarily removed the wooden leg before it was cut?

That's correct Jeff. 

There's a whole story behind it that I don't remember all of the details about, but it basically comes down to: someone sawed through the leg while he was sleeping (I would have accepted 'cane' as well) in order to cause him distress, particularly (IIRC) as his room was at the top of a stairwell.

He would gave removed the wooden leg (or set aside the cane) to sleep. The perpetrator would have only needed to cut partway through in order to cause the blind man to fall when he put weight in it. 

Peter ,you were so close, but Jeff gave the missing component. I'll leave it up to the two of you to decide who goes next. 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Take "a good look at the puzzle again."

"If he had seen the sawdust he wouldn't have died."

Was the man blind?

"Was the man blind?"

Aargh!  It's so obvious when someone else points it out.  I don't think I was going to get it, so the next turn should be yours, Jeff.

I've just realised that Jeff is offline until Monday, so I will set a puzzle.

A family wakes up one morning to signs that there has been an intruder in their home overnight.  No-one is worried.

I think I've got this one.

The family wasn't worried because the "intruder" was something harmless, like a raccoon.

Right?

No.

Lee Houston, Junior said:

I think I've got this one.

The family wasn't worried because the "intruder" was something harmless, like a raccoon.

Right?

Is "no-one" worried because they're all worried?

Was Silver Sable on hand to give the Intruders appropriate instructions, and they left promptly?

Is the intruder the enemy of G.I. Joe (and therefore too small for them to worry about)?

Is the intruder Dennis Quaid in a red hat? (and therefore the movie is too bad to be scary, and they just laugh at him?)

Is it the 1989 film Intruder, and therefore all they have to worry about is being kind and rewinding?

Are the family members big fans of the 60s group the Intruders, and therefore they just kick back and enjoy their soulful sound?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service