So what did you think of Episode 1?  I liked just about everything about it.  The casting and the production both captured the tone of the comic.  A few observations:

• I like the creator credits: "Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore, & Charlie Adlard"  Both artists had a lot to do with the look of the comic and the TV adaptation, even if they aren't credited with co-ownership in the comic.
  • The conversation between Shane & Rick in the police car before the shootout was not in the comic, but it establishes their relationship nicely.
  • The shootout itself was much more elaborate (and violent) than the comic version.  I guess they decided it needed to be more dramatic for TV.  No big deal.
  • The meeting with Monroe & Duane in Rick's old neighborhood was done really well.  The bit at the end where Monroe was unable to shoot his zombified wife is an addition, which enriches the portrayal of his character, as well as presenting the complexity of the zombie phenomenon in the story.  How human are they?
  • Rick's horseback entry into Atlanta was terrific!  It's no surprise that they've been using a shot from that heavily in the series promos.
  • My one real complaint: I thought that the zombie behavior was inconsistent.  Most of them are slow, shambling, and mindless, as they are portrayed in the comic.  But when it serves to increase story tension, they suddenly become considerably smarter and faster.  I don't think the zombies in the comic would have followed Rick under the tank, for example.
Looking forward to the rest of the series, like few things on TV recently.

Views: 3083

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That was just a nod to the sponsor, Powdermilk Biscuits. Heavens, they're tasty. And expeditious.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

That was just a nod to the sponsor, Powdermilk Biscuits. Heavens, they're tasty. And expeditious.

Awesome.

I must've missed that commercial.

Here's something else to ponder until October: this photo from a deleted scene indicates that Rick's Group ran into a bunch of zombies during their run to escape the Termites. Maybe they keep them around like Hershel was doing? And why the heck are they deleting scenes?

Maybe they keep people around to use as distractions to lure walkers away, the way Rick used the pigs last season? We did see that one lone guy torn apart by a large group of walkers, although that was pretty far from Terminus. Could he have made it this long all on his own? And how does one guy get caught by a big group of walkers that way anyway? But I digress.

Anyhoo, Kirkman says in that article that they dropped all kinds of clues about what's coming. I'm not sure I'm clever enough to figure any of them out, but I may watch that episode again, which I've never done before. But then, it's a long time til October.

-- MSA

It was powdered milk? I didn't know what was in that little trash heap, although I thought I saw a paper plate. I assumed it was just evidence that they were feeding something in the boxcar. Turned out to be more prisoners, but I think we were supposed to be expecting walkers.* Rick was certainly acting like he expected trouble inside.

(*The thought crossed my mind that there might be walkers inside, but I dismissed it because if the Terminites wanted to kill them, they'd had plenty of opportunity to do so. And it seemed silly to use that much ammo to chase the group to death-by-walker, when they could have just killed them outright and not used as many bullets.)

Incidentally, my wife and I were trying to figure out how long it had been since the apocalypse began, using Judith as a guide. We figured about a year, given that for Rick to plausibly believe the baby was his Lori had to have gotten pregnant (by somebody) right around The Turn. And Judith is what, one or two months old?sO 11-12 months.

There are plenty of flaws in our theory, one being we can't be sure if Rick knew how long he'd been in a coma. Also, I think they use different babies, because Judith never seems to be the same size from episode to episode -- so her age is just guesswork. And have we ever seen winter? It does get cold in northern Georgia in winter, and the closer you are to the Appalachians/Blue Ridge Mountains the colder it gets and the greater the possibility of snow. Maybe winter came and went in the prison, where they were sheltered from the elements, and we were seeing spring when Rick started planting. Anybody have any thoughts about this?

Also, I'm assuming walkers are not edible, or the humans would quickly learn to turn the tables (so to speak)! We did see a dog tugging on one by the roadside in one episode (the first dog I recall seeing), but maybe he hadn't learned not to eat them yet. Or maybe dogs can stomach them, whereas humans can't. Or maybe the cannibal taboo extends to walkers, although I think that would fade quickly in light of survival.

I guess I'll be thinking about stuff like this until October! And while we're waiting, here's a preview of Season 5:

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/28272.html

It was powdered milk?

It was. Three ripped-up boxes of powdered milk and two paper bowls. I have no idea what that means, but I've thought several times, especially when Carl was complaining about eating dry cereal with Michonne, that powdered milk would be a good thing to have.

if the Terminites wanted to kill them, they'd had plenty of opportunity to do so.

Yes, but they could've wanted to feed them to the walkers in the railcar, who they were keeping as a weapon, like the Guv was. Better to herd them over than kill them and have to drag them, although they sure used a lot of bullets that weren't necessary in any event.

Incidentally, my wife and I were trying to figure out how long it had been since the apocalypse began

I got the impression at season's beginning it was 18 months since the beginning, so now maybe another few weeks. I think quite a few months passed between the end of season 3 and the beginning of this year, with the crops and such, and maybe that's when winter came through. There shouldn't be a gap this time.

Also, I'm assuming walkers are not edible.

I thought of that too. Anybody who could bite a guy's carotid artery to survive wouldn't have a problem cooking up a walker. I don't know that they know it for sure, but they probably don't want to risk it. Maybe the flesh is so dead that it obviously smells like something you wouldn't cook.

It's interesting to listen to the actors, because for right now, they don't know anything more for sure than we do. The writers are still apparently working on the scripts and haven't started filming, so none of us know. I'm sure Andrew Lincoln can't wait to see how he gets them out the railcar! I do hope he does something and isn't just rescued by Carol. I like when heroes make defiant vows and then follow up on them rather than luck out.

-- MSA

Mr. Silver Age said:

It's interesting to listen to the actors, because for right now, they don't know anything more for sure than we do. The writers are still apparently working on the scripts and haven't started filming, so none of us know. I'm sure Andrew Lincoln can't wait to see how he gets them out the railcar! I do hope he does something and isn't just rescued by Carol. I like when heroes make defiant vows and then follow up on them rather than luck out.

-- MSA

Agreed.

But speaking which, when Rick "They're going to feel stupid when they realize they've screwed with the wrong people" with that determined look in his eye, it immediately made me think of this scene:

Yes, there's something wrong with me that I find a comic-book equivalent for everything. But in my defense, it was a very similar situation: The X-Men weren't just beaten, they were beaten thoroughly, quickly and without really getting a shot in. So for Wolverine, now all alone, to utter a defiant vow -- from a sewer, where he'd unceremoniously ended up -- would normally be the height of hubris. But somehow you believed him.

As we believe Rick!

If that's being wrong, I don't want to be right. This is one of those few times when being compared to Wolverine is a good thing.

My only problem with the line was that he should've said, "They're really gonna regret it when they find out," as opposed to "they're going to feel stupid." Because hurting their feelings isn't really his plan at the moment.

BTW, two things I read online: First, the way the group was herded to the railcar, around all those corners and then lining them up one by one, is allegedly exactly how cows are taken to slaughter.

Second, three people have been upgraded from guest stars to cast members for Season 5: Rosita, Tara and Gareth. So he won't be going out in the first episode. But then, the Guv was upgraded last year, and look how he turned out.

-- MSA

When Rick & Co. arrived (through the "back door"), they entered a room where a woman was sending out the radio message and other people were doing something at long tables. Did anybody understand what it was they were doing? I couldn't pick out anything specific.

There's a woman working at the local Apple Store who looks very much like Carol.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service