Here's the trailer from SDCC. Season 8 launches Oct. 22, 2017.

Views: 700

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I thought they said it. I could be wrong, though. I agree that would gunk up the works.

Of course, it might explain why nobody on the show can hit the broad side of a barn. Even from the inside.

Captain Comics said:

Of course, it might explain why nobody on the show can hit the broad side of a barn. Even from the inside.

Unless they're shooting zombies. In which case, it's a perfect head shot every time.

Online article: Either Rick or TWD Needs to Die.

Honestly, I don't disagree. rick crossed a line yesterday, even worse than the one when they slughtered the outpost members in their sleep. We've discussed how this might be the point at which the show forever deviates from the comic book. I wonder if they might not be making rick into Negan and Negan into Rick. I'm already liking Negan more than I am Rick right now.

And what do you want to bet the preson Negan picked up in the car is the gal who knows Dwight is a traitor? The next two episodes should be good. and the debut of the new season of Fear is the same night as the season finale of TWD!

That's a good analysis. But I can't imagine the show killing off Rick; they will have to find a way to redeem him.

CBR had another theory about who Negan picked up: Gregory, who escaped with the Savior prisoners and is unaccounted for. That could present another set of complications.

SPOILERS FROM THE COMIC BOOK

SPOILER SPACE ENDS

I was unconvinced when Rick spared Negan in the comics, because it really wasn't explained at all, and if anybody -- ANYBODY -- needed killing, it was Negan. I could see one person feeling forgiveness, but ALL of them? That is to say, maybe Rick was in a charitable mood, but would Maggie go along with that? Rosita? Ezekiel?

So maybe the TV show is trying to establish some kind of rationale. And I think they're doing that by:

1) Making Negan more sympathetic. And, 

2) Making Rick so awful he realizes how far he's gone and decides to spare Negan as part of an attempt to redeem himself. 

The weird thing is, just a few episodes ago he got into a fistfight with Daryl over killing Saviors who might not be bad people. He didn't hesitate this time. Also, he was pissed at Daryl because Daryl shot a guy to whom Rick had given his word that he wouldn't harm. This time, he gave his word and broke it himself. Did the writers forget which character they were writing?

I still think they're building to a Rick/Daryl schism, but they're just being incredibly sloppy about it. If they're not, the scenes mentioned above have no explanation. 

Captain Comics said:

The weird thing is, just a few episodes ago he got into a fistfight with Daryl over killing Saviors who might not be bad people. He didn't hesitate this time. Also, he was pissed at Daryl because Daryl shot a guy to whom Rick had given his word that he wouldn't harm. This time, he gave his word and broke it himself. Did the writers forget which character they were writing?

I still think they're building to a Rick/Daryl schism, but they're just being incredibly sloppy about it. If they're not, the scenes mentioned above have no explanation. 

I think their intention with those scenes was to set a baseline for Rick's behavior at the time, and then have this week's scene to show how much Carl's death has shaken him from his foundations. I think the key to that is in what Morgan says to Rick when he asks why he took him in: He took him in because his son was there. His son's presence made him a better man. It's been the same for Rick -- and Carl's absence has driven him to be more violent and wrathful. I think it's Carl's letter that will bring him back from that, and let him still hold on to that piece of himself (much like Jadis's photos and Negan's Lucille, if we want to tie in the other storyline, thematically).

BTW, I loved Jadis's secret apartment!

You make a lot of sense, Rob -- what sold me is how you tied the other storylines in thematically. That's something TV writers in general like to do, and these writers in particular. Sounds like you nailed it.

Jadis did have a nice apartment, didn't she? Ikea chic! But she chose to live in garbage. It could be part of her performance art, but it does raise the question of whether the other Garbage People knew about it, or had apartments of their own, or what. And why did they go along with her performance art? Were they all frustrated mimes? I'd call that a mystery, except that I don't care about Jadis in the slightest.

I am interested in the helicopter and the solar panels Simon mentioned. I have to wonder if that's tied into Glenda to the Good Witch, who couldn't possibly NOT have access to a really civilized place, because as I said above, she's far too clean and well-dressed for the zombie apocalypse, plus preposterously vulnerable in that van with only two unarmed bodyguards. So I'm guessing she and the helicopter come from someplace that didn't collapse, like (in the comics) the Commonwealth. That's who I assume Eugene was talking to on the radio, and Glenda showed up because Eugene told them where they were.

So how about the penultimate epidode of the eighth season (April 8)? I really liked it. It advanced the p;lot on all fronts. We found out who Negan picked up in his car; we learned Simon's fate; Dwight's in trouble; we learned the contents of Carl's letter to his dad; we learned the contents of Carl's letter to Negan; it set a a big ambush for the season finale.

April 15: TWD season finale and FTWD new season on the same night! Can my heart stand the shock?

Oh! And Eugene's macaroni, cheese & sardines sautéed in garlic dish!

You know I'llk be trying that this coming weekend.

There were two aspects I didn't like about the penultimate episode:

1) Simon's death was a let-down. He was such a great villain, I was hoping for a great send-off. Instead, there's a hokey mano-a-mano thing where Negan doesn't even have an ace up his sleeve. I expected something more than that. (Although using Simon as a guard walker was brilliantly nasty.) 

2) The "nothing happened" thing happened again. Daryl and Rosita kidnap Eugene, but Eugene gets away, so Nothing Happened. Also:

a) They kidnap Eugene but don't save Gabriel? Cold.

b) Eugene gets away from Super Tracker Daryl in a way I thought of the instant I saw those slag piles? Jesus, dude, just put a few bullets in there to see before you move on. 

Also, it looks like Aaron's bizarre hunger strike/stalking thing at Oceanside is going to work. Which is, you know, preposterous. 

Other than that, it showed some movement, which is pretty welcome.

Which brings us to the final episode, and my hopes for it. They won't happen, but I want Rick, Negan and Eugene to all die. All three have passed the point of redemption on my personal morality scale, and I want them gone. In a world where death is so commonplace, they don't deserve to suck up food, air, water and space.

Really liked the TWD season finale.

Really liked the FTWD season opener.

Two of my firends at work refuse to watch the FTWD opener (despite my recommendation).

I'm having lunch with a third friend today so that we can discuss both episodes.

Oh, I made the sardines with mac & cheese dish. It was ever bit as good as I expected, but I must admit it did stink up the house for the rest of the day.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service