Here's the trailer from SDCC. Season 8 launches Oct. 22, 2017.

Views: 324

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Last night's Walking Dead was OK. I'm glad they're telling coherent stories again. I do have two questions/comments:

1) What was Rick thinking, walking into the HQ of the Trash People with a "join us or die" ultimatum? Nobody agrees to those! I kept thinking, "He's got a plan. He's got a plan. He must have a plan." Because it was a sure way to get killed. But, no, he evidently believed he could talk and/or fight his way out of there all by his lonesome. 

Ridiculous! WE know some characters have plot armor, but THEY shouldn't!

The other thing was Gabriel's sickness. Last episode, when Eugene discovered him sick in that room, my first thought was "Oh oh, he's been bitten." But no, he wasn't. Still, why wasn't that Eugene's first thought? Anyway, it turns out that he got sick from wearing walker guts. Like, he had an open sore or something? All well and good, but why did the doctor think he could save him with meds (presumably antibiotics)? They don't work on bites, so why would they work in this case? It's the same virus, just introduced to the bloodstream a different way. Weird.

And it turns out that Eugene is really an amazingly cowardly louse, doesn't it?

When Rick had the trash queen down why didn't her followers simply shoot him?

I'd like to think Eugene would make the "right" choice, but who knows?

According to The Talking Dead, the last scene of next week's mid-season finale will be all anybody's talking about. Gotta be big. I'm guessing a death. Gotta be a big death. Darryl?

That's the problem with monarchs. Even if you save the life of the Trash Queen, who's to say she'll be happy about *how* you save her life? Especially if it means killing someone she's obviously fascinated with. (And yes, even if she was intending to kill him herself. She doesn't strike me as someone with predictable whims.) 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

When Rick had the trash queen down why didn't her followers simply shoot him?

One thing I loved about the Trash People sequence was that Rick's negotiation changed by the end. Not the content of it, so much, but the style -- he made demands in short declarative statements, rather than a persuasive speech. He met them on their rhetorical ground, and that's how he won the negotiation. 

They *did* set up Gabriel's sickness in the scene where they put guts all over each other. As for why it might be curable rather than threw a bite, I dunno. Maybe because the guts were taken from an inert walker, rather than an active one, and the virus loses effectiveness quickly when its host is finally for-real dead? Or maybe because the amount of exposure through guts & entrails is less than the exposure through a direct bite, and maybe the body is able to fight it off a little better in that case?

Jeff of Earth-J said:

According to The Talking Dead, the last scene of next week's mid-season finale will be all anybody's talking about. Gotta be big. I'm guessing a death. Gotta be a big death. Darryl?

Yeah it's tough to figure what they think would be shocking at this point. I see most of the main characters as being safe. Almost all of them are around in the comics long after this storyline.

The ratings have been in a steady decline since the killing of Glenn and Abraham so I can't believe they would shoot themselves in the foot by killing Daryl or Carol. I could see Dwight dying because Daryl could replace anything he does in the comics. And Tara could die. She doesn't exist in the comics. There is a character named Tara in the comics but her role is actually filled by Arat (Tara backwards) in the TV show. But neither of those deaths would really be "shocking."

So I can't really imagine what they think would be shocking. I though maybe Enid would be revealed as a traitor or something. But then again she could be slated to take on Sophia's role from the comics.

I really don't know what they could do to shock me at this point but they've managed to do it before so I guess it's possible they could pull it off again.

I think maybe if one of the Alexandrians *kills* Dwight, their former friend, possibly as Dwight is trying to help them, that would be shocking. I think the shock will come not from the death but who does the killing. Rosita?

My guess is that Daryl and Rick come to a parting of the ways (probably involving fisticuffs) and Daryl takes off on his cycle for parts unknown. We could occasionally have all-Daryl episodes exploring areas we haven't seen yet. We've seen unrelated storylines progressing independently before. And Rick isn't going to be happy that Daryl knocked down a wall at The Sanctuary, exposing non-warrior families and children to walkers. 

And what happened to Heath?

A permanent Darryl/Rick split is a really good guess, especially if one of them does something they can't take back. 

Captain Comics said:

My guess is that Daryl and Rick come to a parting of the ways (probably involving fisticuffs) and Daryl takes off on his cycle for parts unknown.

They do seem to be heading in opposite directions with Rick on course to try and differentiate himself from the Saviors and Daryl obsessed with vengeance. It's a shame though. The Captain America/Hawkeye, Butch/Sundance dynamic they have is one of my favorite things about the show.

Well. Didn't see THAT coming.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Well. Didn't see THAT coming.

Yeah, I guess that would qualify as "shocking." The character is still around in the comics so it makes you wonder if this is a point where the show will finally just take off in it's own direction and ignore the comics. Personally, I think it's a bad move. Almost a jump the shark moment. They may get a ratings spike with the mid season premier as people tune in to find out if it's really true. But I predict that the ratings will continue to decline after that.

My wife was sort of half-heartedly watching the show, but she's done now.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service