To-day , I spent two bucks on a National Edition copy of the paper New York Times* (In fact even buying yesterdays' still-on-stock as well for a reason that relates to another currently ongoing post here at CC - can you guess what it is?????) . To-day is Friday .

Friday now being the general " movies open then " day , the Grey Lady's " more populist " of their two Arts sections reviewed I guess every " mainstream " movie that opened in Manhattan to-day , meaning , I guess , " at least a one-week run in a  ' mainstream ' commercial movie house " .

There were 14 of them :

Bal (Honey)

Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: Roderick Rules

Drawing With Chalk

Illegal

I Travel Because I Have To , I Come Back Because I Love You

Korkoro

Mia And The Migoo

Miral

Mists

One Hundred Mornings

Peep World

Potiche (Trophy Wife)

Sucker Punch

White Irish Drinkers .

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The fact that this many movies opened , even during what I guess is still " the slow season " , and that I have , in irregularly buying the Friday NYT and seeing , generally IIRC , 10 or more movies reviewed each Friday proves , it seems , to me , my argument here , which is..........

That simply qualitatively(Sp??) (the only argument here) there are likely more features that open for at least some " full-fleged " commercial theatrical run that I think has likely ever been the case , in all the years since the Lumieres !!!!!!!!!

When my father was alive , he used to buy the Leonard Maltin " Movies On TV " mass-market paperback pretty much annually .

Each year it added more or less every such " released " movie in the States...

• Some of those films won't have a theatrical showing beyond places like NYC, LA, and Chicago.
  • White Irish Drinkers - They've made a movie of my bachelor days?
  • "Peep World" sounds intriguing. ;)

"Sucker Punch" is the new Zack Snyder flick. It opened everywhere today, and seems to be getting the worst reviews of the 21st century (so far). More than one critic wrote that someone should sucker punch Snyder for making this movie.

• ...Basically , a pattern such as this - of , a great deal of the time , 10 or more movies having NYC openings every week , seems to bemore or less a pattern .

Now , averaging 10 a week ( The San Francisco Chronicle had 7 . Recently , incidentally , they appear to have decided that some horror/crime movies , even fairly major releases , are Not Our Crowd , Dear , and not reveiwed them , but that doesn't apply this week . ) comes to...500 movies in a year !!!!!!!!!

Presuming some films that do not come to New York , maybe 550 movies open in the USA each year ?

That sure is a LOT of movies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The thing is , when I've brought the question of how many movies , quanatatively , open in mode4rn times , well , at a Classic Movies board I'm on , people hold up the vison of the pre-television Golden Age Of Hollywood - I remember , too , once with my late father , who grew up in that era , he said something to thelike " But in the Golden Age , Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer released a movie every week ! " , which I think also got said on that board .

True , presumably , but pre-1950 almost all movies released in America were from very few major Hollywood major studios...

• ...The equipment used to make a film has become cheaper and cheaper , and thus has worked its way fown the " food chain " , as it were , to the . at least , smaller investor-backed filmaker .

I bouught

• ...( Continuing...)...another Friday NYT yesterday , and they listed 17 movies opening that day !!!!!!!!!

( Reviewed 16 - One went screening-less . )

• Not only are there a lot of movies generally, but this year seems to be having a lot genre movies in particular. I usually write down the predicted release dates of genre movies at the beginning of the year (in case I want to write about them), and I noticed that there was at least one opening each month through August -- and in some months as many as five or six.

So far we've seen (and this is off the top of my head) Rango, Hanna, Sucker Punch, Battle: Los Angeles, Green Hornet, Adjustment Bureau, The Eagle, I Am Number Four, Season of the Witch, Mars Needs Moms, Paul, Limitless -- and we haven't even hit the big SF/superhero movies of summer yet.

• Captain Comics said:

Not only are there a lot of movies generally, but this year seems to be having a lot genre movies in particular. I usually write down the predicted release dates of genre movies at the beginning of the year (in case I want to write about them), and I noticed that there was at least one opening each month through August -- and in some months as many as five or six.

So far we've seen (and this is off the top of my head) Rango, Hanna, Sucker Punch, Battle: Los Angeles, Green Hornet, Adjustment Bureau, The Eagle, I Am Number Four, Season of the Witch, Mars Needs Moms, Paul, Limitless -- and we haven't even hit the big SF/superhero movies of summer yet.

...Answering CC , yes , and I see you did count Mars Needs Moms , so I guess you do count the more " traditional/kid-oriented " end of the animated spectrum , I guess?? the market-leaders Disney-Pixar and Dreamworks have taken this quqrter off ( Except for MNM , and , with its performance , evidently it might have done them better to so do !!!!!!! )...Since , like the Alvin movies , it's actually " LA with CGI characters interacting " , did you not count or just forget HOP ?...BTW , one of the movies I listed above , Mia And The Magoo , was an animated film from another country , an English-language version of a French?? film in cel-drawn animated!! form , like The Secret Of Kells a year or so ago ( which was also cel animation-oriented )...FTM , the French animated THE ILLUSIONIST has played here relatively long in SF ( From the director of The Triplets Of Belleville ) , I have at least thought of seeing it , and another animated " artier " film was a  British prodcution titled MY DOG MAX?? , which may have been late last year...as was megamind , I know , which I did see theatrically but I've already listed all the theatricals I've seen thus far this year on another line here...  

• ...With my time strictures I'll add on rather than correct...

I was thinking of 2009's MY DOG TULIP , and " adult "-ish anifeature .

There was an Austrailian animated a couple years back titled MARY AND MAX that , even offering Philip Seymour Hoffman as one of the leads , never played here !!!!!!!!!!! Odd .

This reply was deleted.