To-day , I spent two bucks on a National Edition copy of the paper New York Times* (In fact even buying yesterdays' still-on-stock as well for a reason that relates to another currently ongoing post here at CC - can you guess what it is?????) . To-day is Friday .

Friday now being the general " movies open then " day , the Grey Lady's " more populist " of their two Arts sections reviewed I guess every " mainstream " movie that opened in Manhattan to-day , meaning , I guess , " at least a one-week run in a  ' mainstream ' commercial movie house " .

There were 14 of them :

Bal (Honey)

Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: Roderick Rules

Drawing With Chalk

Illegal

I Travel Because I Have To , I Come Back Because I Love You

Korkoro

Mia And The Migoo

Miral

Mists

One Hundred Mornings

Peep World

Potiche (Trophy Wife)

Sucker Punch

White Irish Drinkers .

Views: 318

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Captain Comics said: "Not only are there a lot of movies generally, but this year seems to be having a lot genre movies in particular."

And coming next year, the return of Judge Dredd to movie screens. Maybe they'll do it right this time.

www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2063730,00.html

...In to-day's Grey Lady there are 16 films noted as having opened , 2 of them ( the new Tyler Perry one of them ) not having held critics' screenings and not reviewed to-day .

White Irish Drinkers , mentioned above , opened in San Francisco to-day .

The director of it is someone who , per earlier reviews I saw , " directed many TV-movies as well as one ( theatrical ) Steven Segal vehicle back in the day " . Later , another review specified that said director was the creator of...

What?

PowerBook Pete said:
What?
...OK , I did get cut off in the middle of that and then , didn't get arount to getting back later , so...

...( White Irish Drinkers: )

the " The Ghost Whisperer " TV series and apparently spent his own , personal , money on making this feature .

When movie critics note that the director of a feature film as being " a TV director "/having done much TV work - Or music videos - it is rarely a complimentary note upon those critcs' part !!!!!!!!

...19 movies are reviewed in the Times to-day !!!

See what I mean ???

Among them are Hobo With A Shotgun , Under The Boardwalk: The Monopoly Story , and The People Vs. George Lucas .

...I bought a Grey Lady to-day .

There are SIXTEEN movies listed as opening in NYC . 14 are reviewed , two didn't have critics' screenings ( One an Indian/" Bollywood " movie IIRC . ) .

None are particularly " big " Arguably , Ralph Finnes starrig in and directing Shakespere's TITUS ANDRONICUS is the " biggest " , and that's partly the " star-directs-'self " appeal as well as The Bard's prestige .

I suppose the " kiddie " market biggies opened last week , and the more-mainstream adult-oriented Oscar contenders - Meryl Streep IS Snatcher Thatcher!!!!!!!!!!! - are holding back a week or two...

...At The Captain's home , I saw a header/teaser for a story saying that 570 movies had played in Memphis this year , and they were going to list all of them...Could my conc4ept have been a bit of an influence here ?

Don't worry , it's alright , if it'll improve the Captain's status and his home paper's likewise:-)...

...When living in San Francisco a few years ago , at the annual Silent Movie Festival held there , ( I don't understand this " crossing out " thing and I don't have time to correct it . Pleeze Excyooze . ) I saw a mdade-in-the-00s new silent movie , on very much an " indie " level I suppose , shot with an old-style camera and with intentionally 20s-style " minimal " special effects !!!!!

I forget its title right now , I believe the Festival keeps its archives up so.........

...Mel Brooks DID do " Silent Movie " in the Seventies , y'know .

Oh , wait , it did have ONE word of dialogue...spoken by Marcel Marceu !!!!!!!!!!!

...I bought another Grey Lady to-day .

To-day , in Fun City:

BETTER THAN SOMETHING: JAY REATARD

BEING FLYNN (based on a book I have read)

BLACK BUTTERFLIES

LAST DAYS HERE

LET THE BULLETS FLY

DR. SUESS'S THE LORAX

ART IS...THE PERMANENT REVOLUTION

BOY

HEIST: WHO STOLE THE AMERICAN DREAM ?

PAAN SINGH TOMAR

PATRIOCRACY

PROJECT X

THE SALT OF LIFE

THESNOWTOWN MURDERS

WHERE ARE YOU TAKING ME ?

THE WOODS (ooh , now THERE'S a juztaposition :-))

LONDON PARIS NEW YORK

TIM AND ERIC'S BILLION DOLLAR MOVIE

..." Being Flynn " is based upon the book

" ANOTHER B*LLSH*T NIGHT IN S*CK CITY " , by Nick Flynn .

The lat two are listed as not having provided critic's screenings , so for reviews later , but apparently San Francisco fog is less dangerous than Grey , as the SF Chronicle reviewed Tim And Ernie's..." !

A pretty " indie " - in whatever sense - week , obviously .

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service