I love Blackest Night, but I am tired of everyone assuming there will be a white lantern (or lanterns). It's too easy to go there--I think Geoff Johns is a better writer than that. Infact -- If there's a white lantern, I'll frickin, wear white underpants (tighty whiteys), and run down the street -- That's how positive I am that isn't going to happen. It's too predictable and he's quite good at throwing curve balls. I could see white energy from the various rings being combined, but I just don't see an actual white lantern or lanterns.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Welcome to the Captain Comics Message Board, Larfleeze!
  • Welcome, Larfleeze -- we're glad you're here!

And if you *do* make the run, we expect/dread pictures!
  • I don't know if I want to see a White Lantern or not but I can see how it might be done. You'd need an individual capable of representing each of the seven emotions of the spectrum. Of course, it'd probably be Hal. He's already had green, red, blue, and (I'm fairly sure) has wielded a yellow ring. That leaves orange (Hal can be selfish), indigo, and sapphire.
  • I usually don't speculate on storylines, because if you can guess the ending, they're not very good, and if you can't -- well, you can't. Plus, I hate to shade into the area of critiquing things I haven't read yet.

But in this case I wanted to say howdy to Larfleeze -- welcome, Larfleeze, we're glad you're here -- and side with him (or her). A White Lantern not only seems like a pedestrian conclusion, but also a boring character. Already writers claim that writing Superman or Captain America is too difficult because they're too perfect. What would they do with an emotionally harmonious character (or one who could have that effect on others)? Most writers would run away.

So I hope and expect the conclusion to Blackest Night (like most of it so far) will take me by surprise. The best stories are the ones I can't guess what's going to happen next, and that's what Blackest Night has been so far. I hope the ending lives up to the build-up, and I finish the last book saying "I sure didn't see THAT coming."
  • Thank you everyone for the welcome!

I'm interested to see if maybe the white light actually helps Nekron -- don't remember the issue, but when all the assembled Corps were firing at the giant black lantern I believe Black Hand said something about them feeding Nekron's power.
  • Welcome, Larfleeze!

You're right about Black Hand's remark. It makes me wonder if a White Lantern would be effective anyway.

I'm with Cap on this; I've been greatly enjoying the ride so far, and I hope that there's a great ending. I'm trying not to build my expectations too high, but I like most of Johns' work so far, and I'm hopeful he can deliver the goods.
  • Cavalier said:
    I don't know if I want to see a White Lantern or not but I can see how it might be done. You'd need an individual capable of representing each of the seven emotions of the spectrum. Of course, it'd probably be Hal. He's already had green, red, blue, and (I'm fairly sure) has wielded a yellow ring. That leaves orange (Hal can be selfish), indigo, and sapphire.

Hal has possessed the Orange briefly (the cover of the Agent Orange HC shows it), and he's certainly encountered the Star Sapphire energy a bunch over the decades to qualify, even if he didn't wield it. He might have, but I haven't read enough old GL to be able to say.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! It's a pretty lame website, but I did it myself, so tough noogies

Listen to WOXY.com, it's the future of rock-n-roll!

• My personal guess is that IF there's a White Lantern, it'd be in the literal sense - as in a giant power battery created by the "rainbow coalition" somehow as a "finishing move." Possibly destroying and/or radically changing all or some of the various Lantern Corps in the process.

I agree that there probably won't be a "White Lantern" character, unless it's something like Hal Jordan becomes White Lantern to focus the energy of the aforementioned finishing move or something, but returns to normal after that one-shot maneuver.
  • Larfleeze said:
    You will all see.

If we don't, your neighbors will.
  • I thought GL/GA 76 already proved there was a "White Lantern." Always workin' for the blue-skins...
This reply was deleted.