Things I 'learnt' from comic books

Back in the Sixties, when the Superman Family were forever meeting/romancing doubles of themselves, I remember editor Mort Weisinger's lettercol telling us more than once that everyone on Earth has 17 doubles (so how many must there be across the universe?). I'm now 45 and have never met anyone unfortunate enough to look like me and am beginning to think he made this up. Any more dubious facts?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "17 Doubles"? That means there's 18 of me? Geez, I hope the other ones are doing better than I am...
  • The Baron said:
    "17 Doubles"? That means there's 18 of me? Geez, I hope the other ones are doing better than I am...

See I want them to be doing worse than me. Me am Travis Herrick #1
  • I love the shamelessness of that "fact," and the size/precision of the number. "Everyone on Earth has *a* double" sounds superficially more plausible, but 17 sounds [i]authoritative[/i], while if true making the [i]recycling[/i] of the "person who looks exactly like a Daily Planet staffer" plot seem more plausible.
  • I have 16.5  doubles.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! It's a pretty lame website, but I did it myself, so tough noogies

Listen to WOXY.com, it's the future of rock-n-roll!

• I have multiple doubles as I have been mistaken for other guys many, many times. When I was in college, a girl stormed up to me after a lecture, furious that I didn't say hello to her...only after a few moments did she realize her mistake.
  • With me, it's always "Mr. Sellick, would you sign my autograph book, please?"

I get so tired of hearing that.
  • Doc, we need a picture.
  • Martin Gray said:
    Doc, we need a picture.

https://captaincomics.ning.com/photo/holly-and-me?context=user
  • [I] am beginning to think he made this up.

Knowing Mort, it's more likely someone told it to him earlier that day, and he just passed it off as his idea.
  • Doc, GASP . . . it's YOU!

Hmm, a thinner Kurt Busiek, maybe?

My double is Mr Potato Head. See my Facebook profile pic (ie am at work so not able to upload).

Anyone else learn anything?
This reply was deleted.