With the Thirteenth Doctor in DOCTOR WHO, "the Doctor She ", if I might be forgiven, ____ ____, to be introduced in her first episode of a regular season

(series)oo-morrow - let's chatter Gallifreyian!

Views: 205

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For example, the 1963-1964 series of the show had eight serials with 42 episodes.

Also, at the time, they didn't know that they were creating a classic of British television that people would be interested in over fifty years later.

So I looked it up. WIki says shows were lost/erased as late as the sixth season. But even so, there's a lot of Who! If the 13th Doctor inspires me, I might go back as far as the 2005 relaunch. At least I'd see David Tennant, who is awesome.

I remember the Matt Baker Doctor from various Marvel projects -- a comic book series, maybe Pizzazz or Spidey Super Stories. They probably published other Doctors, but I don't remember them -- the Baker one stood out in my memory for his colorful, and apparently size-changing, scarf. Titan is currently running various series starring Doctors 9-13. I don't remember any Who comics that really excited me -- but then, I wasn't the target audience. They may be great for Whovians.

I'll start with Dr. 13 (heh) and see how it goes.

There was never a Matt Baker Doctor. The scarf was worn by Tom Baker, who I suspect you're thinking of.

Captain Comics said:

So I looked it up. WIki says shows were lost/erased as late as the sixth season. But even son, there's a lot of Who! If the 13th Doctor inspires me, I might go back as far as the 2005 relaunch. At least I'd see David Tennant, who is awesome.

I remember the Matt Baker Doctor from various Marvel projects -- a comic book series, maybe Pizzazz or Spidey Super Stories. They probably published other Doctors, but I don't remember them -- the Baker one stood out in my memory for his colorful, and apparently size-changing, scarf. Titan is currently running various series starring Doctors 9-13. I don't remember any Who comics that really excited me -- but then, I wasn't the target audience. They may be great for Whovians.

I'll start with Dr. 13 (heh) and see how it goes.

Oh, right. This is Matt Baker:

This is who (or "the Who") I was thinking of:

Captain Comics said:

So I looked it up. WIki says shows were lost/erased as late as the sixth season.

Episodes from later seasons were erased too, but have been recovered. The series switched to colour at the start of the 1970/seventh season. Some of the episodes from the early 1970s only survived in B&W and have been recoloured.

Marvel UK commenced publishing a British Doctor Who magazine in the late 1970s (initially as a weekly, later a monthly), during Tom Baker's tenure. The contents included B&W Dr Who comics. Instalments drawn by Dave Gibbons were reprinted in colour in Marvel Premiere #57-#60 in 1980-81.

In the 1960s the Amicus studio made two Dr Who films starring Peter Cushing, based on the first two Dalek serials. They made the stories more childish. Dell published an adaptation of the first one - Dr. Who and the Daleks, Four Color #190 - in 1966. It had art by Dick Giordano and Sal Trapani.

Apparently Jack Kirby saw one of the movies. Orikal's forehead-stalk in Thor #138-#139 seems to be based on a Dalek's eye-stalk.

Before he was cast as the Doctor Tom Baker played the villain in The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1973). Patrick Troughton played Phineus in Jason and the Argonauts (1963) and Melanthius in Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (1977). Jon Pertwee was a top radio comedian, and doubled for Danny Kaye in the London scenes of Knock on Wood (1954).

...For Doctor Who, TOS, which ran through 1989, a story arc approach was followed, with all roughly 1)2-hr in their original British broadcasts episodes written as part of a full story. and in fact, each installment meant to end on a cliffhanger,  of sorts, anyway (" Who's that? Who's that knocking at the door? " Next episode: " Oh, it's you, Doctor. "). Four episodes tended toward the standard length, but that's " tended ". When the show reached real U.S. popularity in the Eighties on PBS. this was obscured, as usual runs tended to be edited together into self-contained TV movie length, which repeats in the UK tended to be too - They called them " omnibus " form runs, I did prefer the show in the serial form in which it was written (really discovering the show about 1990 or do, after production of TOS had ceased) - It let you hear the theme more too! The show's being written in serial form was, in fact, meant to emulate the movie serials of the pre-TV era - less than a decade in the past in 1963! The modern-day series tries more to have every episode be self-contained. More later...

It looks BBC2 has already run the new episode and is running out off and on all day. I’ll watch tonight.

i feel like I SHOULD write about the new doc, but am afraid I’d say something boneheaded, given the depth of my ignorance. What say all you veter.an Whovians post your reactions, and I edit them into a Column?Easy and quick for me, TCa gets decent copy, and you guys get in print (if you want). Some of you have your own publishing ventures coming up and this would be a handy ad.

Seeing as I'm from 'Old Blighty ' I do feel like I can comment on the Doctor probably more so than most other threads on this site.... So.....

I was surprised by it.  Surprised the new-Doctor didn't really annoy me as new ones usually do until they settle down but just as surprised that nothing here seemed remotely new.

Substitute Whittaker for any of the NewWho Doctors and the episode wouldn't seem markedly different.

Storywise  it felt like a scorecard was being checked off as we went along especially when it came to the companions. The baddie's motivations painfully familiar and even the death of an innocent felt telegraphed, cliched and lacked any emotional impact.

I just felt the whole thing was .... dull.

I don't think this marks the end for the programme - but I can't see it keeping hold of any first-time viewers - otherwise it's same -old same-old  but  nowhere near the shot-in-the-arm I (personally) felt it needed.

(Runs for cover...!)

“I most likely won't get to see any of them until they come out on DVD. :( ”

Tracy was out of town this weekend. We’ll watch it tonight.

“If I started my Doctor Who adventure here, would that work?”

Not all “new Doctor episodes” are good jumping on points (IMO), but I’ve a feeling this one will be. Despite the fact that the Christmas special ended on a cliffhanger (almost literally), in the era of the #metoo movement and all the press surrounding the first female Doctor, I imagine this episode will draw lots of new viewers. The BBC would be fools not to make it new-viewer friendly.

“Also, is there indication of the content of those ... 97 ... episodes?”

In addition to the paperback books Bob mentioned, audio recordings of all the missing episodes exist and are available commercially. Don’t let this be an impediment to watching the current show (as I did when I first heard about Doctor Who in the 1980s). I didn’t start watching Doctor Who until 2009, and now I own all of the episodes on DVD (plus CDs of the missing episodes), as well as many original audio stories from Big Finish). But I’m a completist; there’s no need for anyone to go that far overboard to enjoy the show.

“I'll start with Dr. 13 (heh) and see how it goes.”

Dr. 14, AFAIAC. There’s one Doctor (one of my favorites, played by John Hurt) no one counts (for reasons I will never understand).

“Before he was cast as the Doctor Tom Baker played the villain in The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1973).”

The first thing I saw him in (although I didn’t realize it at the time) was the 1975 Frankenstein: The True Story TV movie. (He played the ship captain who discovered Frankenstein in the framing sequence.) I didn’t figure it out until last year when I watched all the “Frankenstein” movies I could find.) Patrick Troughton guest-starred on an episode of Space: 1999 around that same time.

“I feel like I SHOULD write about the new doc, but am afraid I’d say something boneheaded, given the depth of my ignorance.”

Ah, just run it by Bob first.

Ah, well. The hard way, then.

Hey, one question: Is the new Doctor's personality in line with the old one(s). Does that change, or is the character the same no matter the actor? And does Whittaker pass muster there?

I'm told that BBC America is offering the episode on-line. If I can, I will watch it at the library tonight, and start a spoiler thread for the episode (unless someone else starts one first).
The Doctor's baseline personality (good person who fights evil) stays the same, but hir surface quirks vary from actor to actor.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service