THE TOP 5

Aquaman 80th Anniversary Special 100-Page Super Spectacular

DC Comics | $9.99

Story: Dan Jurgens, Geoff Johns, Brandon Thomas, Chuck Brown, Stephanie Phillips, Michael Moreci, Marguerite Bennett, Dan Watters, Jeff Parker, Shawn Aldridge, Francis Manapul | Art: Steve Epting, Paul Pelletier, Valentine De Landro, Hendry Prasetya, Pop Mhan, Trungles, Miguel Mendonça, Evan “Doc” Shaner, Tom Derenick, Francis Manapul, | Cover: Robson Rocha | 1940s variant cover: Michael Cho | 1950s variant: Ramona Fradon | 1960s variant cover: Walt Simonson | 1970s variant: José Luis García-López | 1980s variant: Chuck Patton and Kevin Nowlan | 1990s variant: Yvel Guichet | 2000s variant: Becky Cloonan | 2010s variant: Robson Rocha

After defending the seven seas for eight decades, it’s time to throw Aquaman a party! This all-star-filled anthology spans across the ocean king’s legacy, not just celebrating his own triumphs, but also those of his greatest allies and enemies. We look at his ongoing romance with Mera, his bitter rivalry with Black Manta, his brotherly conflict with Ocean Master, and the inspiration he lends to younger heroes like Tempest and Jackson Hyde, the newest Aqualad. It would not be an Aquaman celebration without also looking at how he’s changed over the years, including a brand-new tale of Bombshells Aquaman. This special brings together Aqua talent past, present and future, including reuniting fan-favorite creative teams such as Geoff Johns and Paul Pelletier, Dan Jurgens and Steve Epting, alongside Dan Watters and Miguel Mendonca. Plus, two of the stories are prequels to two new Aquaman miniseries launching in September, kicking off another 80 years of undersea adventure!

Captain Comics sez: I've mentioned before that I love these retrospective anniversary issues, which are a sort of time travel through the decades of a character's existence. The last one of these was for Green Arrow, and while it was fun, it was missing something Aquaman has in abundance: logos. As you can see from the decade-specific covers below, Aquaman has had a plethora of logos, all of which are on display here. Speaking as a guy who has lived through most of these decades, that's a nostalgic feature I quite enjoy. And look: Ramona Fradon, who drew Aquaman in the '50s, contributes the '50s cover! That is too awesome for words.

Batman: Fear State Alpha #1 one-shot

DC Comics | 40 Pages | $4.99 ($5.99 card stock variant cover)

Writer: James Tynion IV | Art: Riccardo Federici | Cover: Ben Oliver | Variant: Dylan Teague | 1:25 ratio variant: Jorge Jimenez | 1:50 ratio variant: Francesco Mattina

The event over a year in the making begins! Fear State settles upon Gotham City, and no one is safe! Overwhelmed by the dual threat of the Scarecrow and Peacekeeper-01, Batman and his allies have been one step behind since the events of Infinite Frontier #0 ... and with the arrival of a mysterious anti-Oracle and the return of Poison Ivy ... Batman might have more than he can handle! 

CC sez: Well, it's finally here: The event that will drag the Bat-books into the future we saw in "Future State." Which, I will remind everyone, I did not enjoy. So I will not enjoy this event. Doesn't mean you won't, though, so here's the preview.

Crime Comics Confidential TPB

IDW Publishing | 208 pages | $39.99

Editor: Steven Brower | Story/Art: Charles Biro, Dick Briefer, John Buscema, Gene Colan, Jack Cole, Reed Crandall, Fred Guardineer, Everett Raymond Kinstler, Bernie Krigstein, Mort Meskin, Bob Powell, John Prentice, Mike Sekowsky, Leonard Starr, Marvin Stein, Alex Toth, more

Relive the days when gangsters ruled the streets in this gripping collection of notorious vintage pre-Code crime comics!

True life criminals Al Capone, Legs Diamond, Pretty Boy Floyd, Dutch Schultz, Lucky Luciano and John Dillinger are featured alongside colorful pulp fiction characters with rods ablaze. These mobsters flaunted their sexy gun molls and ill-gotten gains of big cars and fancy suits, living outside the law until getting their just desserts in the end.

CC sez: I stopped buying the Yoe Books' pre-Code horror collections when I realized they were redundant with the more comprehensive PS ArtBooks collections I was also buying. But, while PS is starting to reprint some crime books, they haven't jumped in with both feet, so this book may never be redundant. I'll probably take the chance in order to read the curated best-of that Yoe will find.

Dark Ages #1 (of 6)

Marvel | Teen+ | $4.99

Story: Tom Taylor | Art/Cover: Iban Coello | Variant: Patrick Gleason | Variant: Inhyuk Lee | Variant: Skottie Young

This is what the Watcher has been watching for!

A danger older than the Earth threatens everything. For once, the heroes who have saved the planet so many times are almost powerless in the face of it. X-Men and Avengers assemble. Spider-People and Fantastic Four come together. Heroes for Hire fight alongside Champions. None of it will be enough. The lights are about to go out. The world outside our window ... is about to end. An all-new saga of the Marvel Universe as you've never seen it before from Tom Taylor and Iban Coello!

CC sez: Do I really want to see my favorite characters lose? I mean, real life is depressing enough.

Red Sonja #1

Dynamite | $3.99

Story/Cover: Mirka Andolfo | Art: Giuseppe Cafaro | Cover B: Jan Anacleto | Cover C: Joseph Michael Linsner | Cover D: Erica D'Urso | Cover E: Cosplay

MOTHER, PART ONE. Industry icon MIRKA ANDOLFO presents an all-new vision for the She-Devil With A Sword, in a thrilling new ongoing series! Our story begins in a village on fire, set by members of the dreaded Three-Eyed Shezem. When Red Sonja arrives, the only survivor of the flame is a lively child with curious white tattoos. The child will become Sonja's travel companion, on a journey from hardened ice to imposing forests, where dangerous secrets wait to be revealed...

Begin a trailblazing adventure with MIRKA ANDOLFO (Unnatural, Mercy) and incredible artist GIUSEPPE CAFARO (Suicide Squad)!

Neapolitan artist and writer, Mirka Andolfo is one of the most complete and eclectic Italian creators in the international field.  Her Mercy series was published almost simultaneously in Italy (November 2019, Panini Comics), France (January 2020, Éditions Glénat) and United States (March 2020, Image Comics).

Her ControNatura (Panini Comics) is one of the most successful Italian series of the last few years. Published in the USA by Image Comics under the title Unnatural, it's a best-selling hit with several reprints already.

Andolfo has been collaborating with DC Comics since 2015, having lent her pencils to such titles as Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn, Catwoman, Bombshells, Teen Titans, Green Arrow, R.W.B.Y. and Hex Wives.

Also as an artist, she's drawn comics for Dynamite and Aspen, as well as some short stories for Vertigo and DC's Young Animal, and she's working on covers for DC Comics, Marvel Comics, Valiant, BOOM! Studios, Aspen, Zenescope.

CC sez: I recently read the terrific Gail Simone run on Red Sonja, which is probably why I'm looking forward to a new series. Simone gave Sonja something Conan doesn't have: an interior life. Whereas Conan mechanically goes through the same kinds of adventures over and over, Sonja learns, grows and even reflects ruefully on her life. That makes her eminently more interesting. Well, assuming the new writer continues that trend, and doesn't reduce Sonja to her pre-Simone status, of a Conan with boobs.

OTHER ITEMS OF INTEREST

Almost American #1

Aftershock | $4.99

Story: Ron Marz | Art: Marco Castiello | Cover: Rus Wooton

Spies ... like us? In 2008, husband-and-wife Russian intelligence operatives walked into the U.S. Embassy in the Dominican Republic in order to defect, making a deal to trade secrets for new lives. But instead of the American Dream, Janosh and Victorya Neumann found themselves caught up in red tape, bureaucracy and turf wars between the FBI and CIA — all while their past tries to kill them.

Based on the real-life story of real-life spies, ALMOST AMERICAN is written by comics master Ron Marz in close consultation with the Neumanns, with art by rising star Marco Castiello.

CC sez: I enjoyed The Americans and I like Black Widow, so that's two steps toward this book. The clincher, though, is the presence of writer Ron Marz, who's never written anything I didn't enjoy.

Avengers #48

Marvel | Teen+ | $3.99

Story/Cover: Javier Garrón | Variant: Ernanda Souza

WINTER HULK IS COMING...

Get your first look at the cover of AVENGERS #48, on sale in September!

WORLD WAR SHE-HULK, the upcoming arc in Jason Aaron and Javier Garrón’s action-packed run on AVENGERS will continue into September with AVENGERS #48! This explosive new arc will see She-Hulk facing off against Red Guardian and the Russian Winter Guard, who are tasked with bringing Jen to justice. After being taken prisoner and sent to the notorious assassin-training academy known as the Red Room, She-Hulk will be transformed into something terrifying and the Winter Hulk will be unleashed upon the world. Who will dare to try to stop her? Find out in this exciting new chapter in the saga of She-Hulk when AVENGERS #48 hits stands on September 1st!

World War Hulk was a pretty big deal, so maybe World War She-Hulk will be, too.

Batman/Superman 2021 Annual #1

DC Comics | $5.99

Story: Gene Luen Yang | Art: Paul Pelletier, Francesco Francavilla | Cover: Bryan Hitch

The epic epilogue to the Archive of Worlds saga! In his pursuit of perfection, the godlike Auteur.io sought to create and destroy worlds with the wave of a hand and a flair for the dramatic. But against all odds...the World of the Knight and the World of Tomorrow live on! The Batman of the noir-tinged streets of Gotham City finds himself stranded in the sunny, retro-futurist World of Tomorrow — and Superman discovers himself in the opposite predicament. With their home worlds in decay and only one chance to save them, the key to preserving their very existence is but the flip of a coin. Or the flip of this book! This special flip book is two times the story, with one full comic on one side and one full comic on the other, meeting in the middle! Follow Superman’s journey on one side of this epic flip book annual, and turn the adventure over to crusade with the Batman and his trusty sidekick, Robin!

I'm really impressed with the thought and craft that's gone into this series, continued here with a flip book! A flip book! Somebody's working OT!

Beauty: All Good Things one-shot

Image | $4.99

Story: Jeremy Haun, Jason A. Hurley | Art: Matthew Dow Smith (CA) Nick Filardi | Art/Cover: Jeremy Haun

JEREMY HAUN and JASON A. HURLEY, along with artist MATTHEW DOW SMITH, return to the devastating world of THE BEAUTY for a 48-page special, showcasing the finale of the groundbreaking horror series. #BEAUTYFREE

CC sez: I started reading this series when it first came out and enjoyed it, but like with all books that I only receive digitally, I plain forgot about it. If it's not sitting on my desk, it's out of sight, out of my mind. I may go back and catch up someday (when they invent an eight-day week), but in the meantime I thought I should alert current readers about this one-shot.

Demon Days: Cursed Web #1

Marvel | Teen+ | $4.99

Story/Art/Cover: Peach Momoko | Variant: Jenny Frison | Variant: Agnes Garbowska | Variant: Gurihiru | Variant: Peach Momoko

SPIDERS AND WOLVES AND YOKAI... OH MY!

Mariko Yashida journeys deep into a dark forest to find answers about her past. Instead, she finds a magical wolf with three toes and a strange girl with a pet spider. But there are deadly creatures in these woods too — a mysterious, blue-skinned woman and a giant with super-strength and claws — and they're after Mariko! Don't miss this epic tale, straight from the creative mind of STORMBREAKER PEACH MOMOKO! Book THREE of FIVE of the DEMON DAYS saga!

CC sez: Man, I was all wrong about this series, which I thought was a series of one-shots that were only related conceptually. But then I read the first two issues — in reverse order — and discovered my error. All of these one-shots do tell discrete stories, but taken as a whole they tell the coming-of-age tale of this continuity's Mariko Yashida. Delightfully, I might add. I do enjoy Peach Momoko's lovely Edo-era-influenced art. (But I also love just about everything Jenny Frison does. Look at that lovely cover below.)

EC Archives: Vault of Horror TPB

Dark Horse | $19.99

Story: Al Feldstein, Johnny Craig, Gardner Fox, William M Gaines, Richard Connell | Art: Johnny Craig, Harry Harrison, Wally Wood, Harvey Kurtzman, Graham Ingels, Jack Kamen | Cover: Johnny Craig

The terrifying opening of the Vault of Horror, presented as a deluxe-size trade paperback for the first time!

This ghastly grimoire collects issues #12-17 of the classic horror series, including unforgettable stories from the all-star artistic lineup of Al Feldstein, Johnny Craig, Bill Gaines, Johnny Craig, Wally Wood, Harvey Kurtzman, and more! Featuring a foreword by legendary horror writer R.L. Stine.

CC sez: In previous conversations on the board, several Legionnaires expressed convincing skepticism in DH's commitment to reprint the entire "New Trend" oeuvre in this format. After all, we've seen them pull the plug on reprint series plenty of times before, like with Archie and Crime Does Not Pay. But for those who want EC collections in a cheaper format than the HCs, here's a new title, for as long as Dark Horse sticks with it.

Fire Power by Kirkman & Samnee #15

Image | $3.99

Story: Robert Kirkman | Art/Cover: Chris Samnee, Matthew Wilson

After the stunning events of the last issue, the Serpent’s Omen takes hold! Now, Owen has no choice but to fight back — and the Fire Power might not be enough. But first Ling Zan, Kellie and Owen will have to sort out, well, a lot.

CC sez: I guess Skybound is going to send me a preview of every issues of this title. *Shrug* OK, I'll post 'em if they send 'em.

The Lot #3 (of 4)

Bad Idea | Teen+ | 40 pages | $5.99

Story: Marguerite Bennett | Art/Cover: Renato Guedes

PLUS: An All-New BAD IDEA B-SIDE

RATED: T+ FOR ABJECT TERROR, PSYCHOLOGICAL HORROR AND INVOKING DESPAIR

In the 1970s, legendary filmmaker Oliver Larsen began production on what was to be his horror masterpiece. Obsessed with authenticity, the megalomaniacal director insisted on filming a real-life occult ritual performed by actual cult members. The cast and crew, of course, gave no credence to the cultists' beliefs, but soon were proselytised as something awoke that day on the studio lot. In the bloody aftermath, the production was permanently shut down, the footage suppressed, and the soundstage that bore witness forever shuttered.

Until today.

Aviva Copeland is the newly promoted studio head — the youngest in decades. Great things are expected of her. Maybe greater than is fair. She has the unenviable task of restoring the studio's fading image and resurrecting its financial viability. She's up for the challenge. Poring over the sea of red in the company ledger she finds just the thing to help her do it — a prime piece of California real estate has been sitting unused on the studio books, hemorrhaging money for decades. Why would they let a lot this valuable just rot? Aviva will soon find her answer and with it she will discover that though the lot may have been closed for a half-century, it’s far from empty … and the evil that lives within its haunted walls will soon seize its chance to kill again.

CC sez: For a company that says it's going out of business, Bad Idea sure publishes a lot of books. Here are September's.

Monster Kill Squad #1 (of 4)

Bad Idea | 32 pages | No ads | $6.99

Story: Christos Gage | Art: Tomas Giorello | Colors: Diego Rodriguez | Cover: Tomas Giorello, Lewis LaRosa, Diego Rodriguez

PLUS: An All-New BAD IDEA B-SIDE

Once upon a time, monster attacks were rare. A forest witch might murder a few hikers, a killer clown might eat a few children, or a malevolent ghost might drive a young couple insane just for the hell of it. But these events were scarce, easily covered up, and soon faded into campfire stories good for a laugh.

But no one’s laughing now. Over the past 90 days, cryptozoological attacks have increased a hundredfold, and the arcane has become everyday. Monsters of every shape and size strike at will, and the good, taxpaying folks of the US of A have had enough of this nonsense.

Enter: THE MONSTER KILL SQUAD. A Government Unit of the most dangerous motherfuckers on the planet, the deadliest folks alive are here to put a bullet in the brain of everything that walks, crawls, flies, or hides in shadows. And if it doesn’t have a brain, all the better — we’ve got a gun for that, too.

Witches and wraiths. Demons and deadites. Goblins and ghosts. There have always been monsters. Now there are monster killers, and the MKS will kill it, and kill it good.

Pyrate Queen #1

Bad Idea | 32 pages | No Ads | $7.99

Writer: Peter Milligan | Art by Adam Pollina | Colors: Tamra Bonvillain | Cover: Adam Pollina with Tamra Bonvillain

This September, embark on a tale of love, loss, life, death and bloody revenge! Meet Monday Ryan, a pyrate with a bad reputation and a price on her head. To be a pyrate is to live a short and merry life and to live it free. It ends for most with a length of rope and a four-foot drop.

After a series of successful attacks, Monday Ryan, her husband, and her crew of bandits are targeted and pursued relentlessly by the British Royal Navy. When a violent trap leads to their capture, Monday and crew are fitted for the gallows — until the Royal Navy learns that Monday’s pregnant. Civility prevents the hanging of a pregnant woman, and Monday is spared the noose, but her crew and husband are not. Set adrift on a small raft and left to her fate on the open sea, Monday vows that the life growing inside her will be born into a world where its father’s death has been avenged. She will find and kill every last soul responsible for her husband's death, and her baby will enter into this world free of vengeance, free of bloodshed, and free of a future drenched in violence.

Mirka Andolfo’s Sweet Paprika #2 (of 12)

Image | $3.99

Story/Art/Cover: Mirka Andolfo| Cover B: Stjepan Šejić | Cover C: Guillem March | Cover D: Andrew Hickinbottom | Cover E: Mirka Andolfo

In Sweet Paprika #2, Paprika finds herself in a difficult situation when her father's illness and the complex work situation that awaits her both compete for her attention. And the only kind of business she’s not really able to handle: a dinner where being dynamic, kind and relaxed is just as important as being competent. But there is also another reason why the young and skilled professional is in trouble: she doesn't want to see one of the guests again...

Sweet Paprika is perhaps best described as Bridget Jones’s Diary meets Sex and the City, with a pinch of The Devil Wears Prada and provides readers with a sultry, romantic romp.

CC sez: I wasn't impressed with the story in the first issue, but the art was attractive, and they sent me these lovely covers, so I have to post 'em. I mean, I'll post anything by Stjepan Šejić.

Noir Is the New Black Vol 1 TPB

Fairsquare Comics | Mature | $25.00

Story: David Walker, Brandon Thomas, Melody Cooper, Brandon Easton, various | Art: N. Steven Harris, MD Bright, Marcus Williams, Karen Darboe, Walt Barna, David Brame, various

Unhinged. Unfiltered. Unstoppable... This is Noir Is The New Black: 40 Black creators delivering 16 Noir stories in a unique way. for the first time, the most successful African American comic book creators like David F.walker, Brandon Thomas, Brandon Easton, Melody Cooper, Md Bright, N.steven Harris as well as a new generation of writers and artists of color from all around the world such as Karen S. Darboe, Walt Barna, Marcus Williams, Quinn Mcgowan, Roxxy Haze, Greg Burnham, and many more, are banding together for a unique anthology of 100% creator-owned Black Noir comic stories.

CC sez: One of the best things in comics in the modern era is books like these, which tell stories of people never mentioned in my history classes. Black people were marginalized in the '40s, sure, but they weren't all maids and butlers (which period movies suggest), and I want to read about those who dared be more. These stories will probably give us hard-luck shamuses like Sam Spade, only with the added handicap of institutionalized racism, which should make for interesting reading. Plus, that's one classy cover.

Our Stories Carried Us Here GN

Green Card Voices | $24.99

Story/Art: Various | Cover: Nate Powell

A bold and unconventional collection of first-person stories told and illustrated by immigrants and refugees living across the United States. Stanford scientist, deaf student, indigenous activist, Black entrepreneur - all immigrants and refugees - recount journeys from their home countries in ten vibrantly illustrated stories. Faced by unfamiliar vistas, they are welcomed with possibilities, and confronted by challenges and prejudice. Timely, sobering, and insightful, Our Stories Carried Us Here acts as a mirror and a light to connect us all with immigrant and refugee experiences.

CC sez: Everything I said above applies here, except that cover art is kinda amateurish. If the insides are similar, I may not be able to force myself to read it.

Providence Compendium TPB

Story: Alan Moore | Art/Cover: Jacen Burrows

Finally, the complete Alan Moore masterpiece in one 480 page tome - the PROVIDENCE COMPENDIUM! Providence is Alan Moore's quintessential horror series! In it, he weaves and reinvents the works of H.P. Lovecraft through historical events. It is both a sequel and prequel to Neonomicon.   The PROVIDENCE COMPENDIUM is the complete series, all twelve issues by Alan Moore and Jacen Burrows, in one 480-page volume.

CC sez: Has this last Alan Moore comics work been collected before? I'd prefer a hardback, but if this is all we're going to get, I'm definitely going to acquire it.

Telepaths #1 (of 6)

Artists Writers & Artisans | $3.99

Story: J. Michael Straczynski | Art/Cover: Steve Epting

The brand new epic from comic book legends J. Michael Straczynksi (The Amazing Spider-Man, Thor) and Steve Epting (Captain America: The Winter Soldier). An electromagnetic disturbance results in the sudden awakening of telepathic powers in a tenth of the Earth's population. In the moments after the world comes to grip with this development, newlyBoston police find themselves sent against a wrongly convicted prisoner who becomes a hero and leader of other telepaths trying to escape a world in which their powers will make them targets. Both are heroes of their own story, and the future may depend on whether or not trust can be found between them.

"Sins Past" may have permanently altered my view of JMS' work, but there's no denying he's a big name in comics. Here's his latest.

Wonder Girl #3

DC Comics | $3.99

Story/Art/Cover: Joelle Jones | Card Stock variant ($4.99): Matteo Scalero

Let the training commence! Now crowned Hera’s champion, Yara needs to start acting like one. Enter Eros, the goddess’s favorite grandson and the god of love. Can Yara resist his charms long enough to master her unpredictable new powers? All the gods are watching … are you?

Evidently, the price we're going to pay for an all-Joelle Jones title is tardiness. The second issue was a month late, and this third issue was originally solicited for June.

EVENTS/CROSSOVERS

INFINITE FRONTIER

Infinite Frontier #5 (of 6)

DC Comics | $4.99

Story: Joshua Williamson | Art: Xermanico, Paul Pelletier, Jesus Merino | Cover: Mitch Gerads | Variant: Bryan Hitch | Variant: John K. Snyder III

In Infinite Frontier #5, Roy Harper finds himself forced to do things on his own. He’s been through a lot since he was Green Arrow’s sidekick, and usually, the only person he can count on is himself. Hence, he’s hiding the fact that he’s back from the dead from his old friends. He comes across Jade, who has also been stranded by herself — can he help her while letting her help him? Because neither of them can handle Darkseid all by their lonesome. Meanwhile, Barry Allen sends out a call: it’s time for all the heroes exploring the Infinite Frontier to come to the Omega Planet!

This book gives us the Continuing Adventures of Roy Harper, President Superman, Flashpoint Batman, Cameron Chase and Barry Allen. What's not to love?

LAST ANNIHILATION

Last Annihilation: Wiccan and Hulkling #1 one-shot

Marvel | Teen+ | $4.99

Story: Anthony Oliveira | Art: Jan Bazaldua | Cover: Luciano Vecchio | Variant: David Lopez

WORLDS APART, BUT NEVER ALONE!

The Last Annihilation has hit the Kree/Skrull Alliance. Wiccan and Hulkling must split up to simultaneously defend two planets against the Mindless Army! But will the individual newlyweds be enough to fight off the forces of Dormammu? Or will they become the next casualties in this senseless war?

CC sez: Not crazy about that cover art — it has a real "middle school reader" vibe — but at least "Last Annihilation" is stepping forward, and out of Guardians of the Galaxy.

MILES MORALES 10TH ANNIVERSARY VARIANT COVERS

This year, Marvel Comics will commemorate the 10th anniversary of one of its brightest stars—Miles Morales! The young Brooklyn-based Spider-Man took the world by storm when he was created by writer Brian Michael Bendis and artist Sara Pichelli’s in 2011’s Ultimate Fallout #4 and has skyrocketed to stardom ever since. The last decade has seen Miles star in both his own hit ongoing series as well as team books such as Champions and All-New Avengers plus major appearances in film, video games, and more. Marvel is proud to celebrate the character’s incredible impact this year with a series of variant covers crafted by the industry’s top artists including Mike Del Mundo, Javier Garrón and Russell Dauterman. This stunning series of covers will showcase Miles in a variety of different iconic looks from his classic suit to the inspired collection of suits from the blockbuster PlayStation game Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales.

CC sez: I don't really have anything to say about this. Just passing on the news.

SINISTER WAR

Sinister War #4 (of 4)

Marvel | Teen+ | $4.99

Story: Nick Spencer | Art: Mark Bagley | Cover: Bryan Hitch | Variant: Mark Bagley | Variant: David Baldeon | Variant: Jeffrey Veregge

Things just got worse for Spider-Man. It didn't seem possible, but it's true. If you think you have seen Spider-Man take a beating, you haven't seen anything this brutal.

CC sez: Man, this event is turning into torture porn. Yeah, we get it, Spidey is horrifically outnumbered. Why doesn't he call the Avengers? Get on with it, already.

ADVENTURES

INTO THE UNKNOWN

Barnstormers Vol 1 GN

Insight Kids | $14.99

Story: Kenny Porter | Art/Cover: Renny Castellani

The year is 1928. Pilots from the Great War find themselves thirsty for daredevil antics and adventure. The Barnstormers land at local farms, performing stunts and giving rides to make a living. When giant occult monsters escape the conflicts of the Great War, the Barnstormers find themselves enterprising as adventurers, monster hunters, and hired guns. Evil and danger loom on the horizon, but for Roscoe Adams and his wingman, Clyde Turner, no monster is too big for the bounty! Together, our heroes embark on the job of their lives by saving the country from giant monsters and taking out the cult of sorcerers who unleashed them on the world.

CC sez: Here this is, whatever it is.

Dirty America GN

Second Sight | $9.99

Story: Hannu Kesola | Art: Sauli Jokinen | Cover: Sami Kivela, Julia Riitijoki

The year is 1976. The place is Texas. Roy, Harry, and John have been best friends for nearly five decades. However, the trio find their friendship tested after an ill-fated hunting trip turns deadly. Can John, now the town sheriff, make things right as their small Texas town turns into a stage for a brutal murder?

CC sez: One thing you can count on with stories set in Texas: violence.

Lone Sloane Delirius 2 HC

Titan Comics | 72 pages | $19.99

Story: Jacques Lob | Art: Phillipe Druillet, Benjamin Legrand

Lone Sloane, the Ulysses of space, cosmic freebooter and rebel, endlessly struggles against dark gods, robotic entities and alien forces!

The lonely traveler is in trouble, Lone Sloane is stuck on the planet aptly named Delirius!

CC sez: I hate to say it, but Druillet is just too weird for me.

Multi Mind Mayhem Vol 1: Isekai Tensei Soudouki GN

One Peace Books | Mature | $12.95

Story: Takami | Art/Cover: Honoji

Bard Cornelius: the son of a nobleman of Mauricia, an empire located in a parallel universe. But Bard is no ordinary boy - he's got three souls packed into one body! Aside from his own consciousness, he's got Oka Sanai, a miserly samurai, and Masaharu Oka, a high school otaku who loves animal ears. With his extra knowledge of military tactics and business acumen, Bard's ready to cheat his way to the top! Get ready to enjoy the manga version of this hit isekai light novel series!

CC sez: Talk about multiple personalities!

Rock & Roll Biographies: Judas Priest

Acme Ink | $3.50

Story: Michael Aushenker Art: Mats Engsten, Victor Moya | Cover: Victor Moya

Screaming for leather!? The only other band that Todd Loren and Rock and Roll comics never did!!! Take a journey with undoubtably the greatest heavy metal band on the planet as they find their roots from playing hippy music to head banging hits! Included is an incredibly special 5-page bio back up story too big to mention the bands name here!

CC sez: A band in which I have utterly no interest.

Taarna: Elements one-shot

Heavy Metal | $2.99

Story: Dave Erwin, Matt Medney | Art/Cover: Butch Guice

Originally published in Heavy Metal magazine, this story follows Taarna's past to its current bold new direction.

CC sez: Hey, it's that chick from the Heavy Metal movie! I don't remember anything about her, but she's got a great look.

Versus Fighting Story Vol 1 GN

Ablaze | $12,99

Story: Izu | Art/Cover: Kalon Madd

From Japan to the USA, the e-sport phenomenon continues to grow!

The first manga dedicated to the world of e-sports competition!

Max Volta, leader of a team of professional players, launches an assault on the Capcom Pro Tour, one of the major international competitions for Street Fighter V. Everything does not happen as expected for the arrogant and overconfident Max ... even after being named top pick to win the tournament, he suffers a crushing defeat. Max takes it out on his friends, which leads to his sponsors pulling out. He is afraid his career is over. But then the mysterious Inés offers to return to the basics of "VS fighting" and put together a team capable of beating the Japanese god of fighting games ... which will cause a storm in the world of professional gaming.

Whether you're a beginner or a combat game specialist, you'll enjoy taking a dive into the heart of the competition in this humorous adventure and its gallery of colorful characters!

Officially endorsed by Capcom and the fighting game community, featuring genuine Street Fighter characters, and produced in the vein of the best sports sh nen, discover the e-sports spirit, as you have never seen it before.

CC sez: Fighting ... gamers. Not actual fights, I'm guessing. Slap fights, maybe.

Warlash: Bioburden one-shot

Asylum Press | $3.99

Story: Jovan Sekuloski, Riste Sekulowski, Frank Forte | Art: Frank Forte, Riste Sekulowski, Edu Menna | Cover: Homeros Gilani

Warlash, an armored warrior of the apocalyptic future, is back. This issue gives us more tales of hardboiled science fiction crime noir. In "The Superiority Complex," Warlash gets word there is a new threat to Pittsburgh, a Cyborg who goes by the name of The Superior, and he's about to prove his namesake. And in "The Mega Fiend" Warlash is on the hunt for a mutating bio-weapon, what he finds is a beast beyond anyone's imagination. In "BioBurden," Warlash battles a creature who is the product of a genetic experiment gone bad. Is he good or evil? Warlash may not have time to find out, as the bio-creature spreads his contagion.

CC sez: Every once in a while I get a press release pushing one Warlash crowdfunding or another. Then sometimes, like this week, some actual books come out.

Warlash: Cold Metal Mayhem one-shot

Asylum Press | 32 pages | $3.99

Story: Frank Forte, Dwayne Harris | Art: Frank Forte, Steve Mannion, Dwayne Harris | Cover: Andy Hall

Warlash, an armored warrior of the apocalyptic future, is back. This issue reintroduces Warlash with three tales of hard-boiled science fiction crime noir. "The Generator" Warlash goes on the hunt for a missing girl, only to find she has been kidnapped by a super villain who has activated her mutant powers. And in "Grubbs" Warlash goes into the seedy underground sewer system to chase a mutated monster who is devouring people at will, illustrated by "Stealthy" Steve Mannion.

Warlash: Cold Metal Mayhem #1 is written by Frank Forte (Lovecraft Country, Heavy Metal, Zombie Terrors) and Dwayne Harris (Heavy Metal) Illustrators include Steve Mannion (Fearless Dawn), Dwayne Harris and Frank Forte with a cover by Andy Hall.

This is Asylum Press’ first new print release since Fearless Dawn: Chibi Finale #1 in 2015. This is also Asylum Press’ return to print comics production with new series and titles to be announced in the coming months.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 80TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIALS: I stopped buying these after the "Big Three," but you have been so enthusiastic about them that I'm starting to second guess my decision. Can you tell me how many I have missed? I prefer the HC editions as they include all the covers plus some extra stories as well. can anyone tell me how many have been released in HC as well?

CRIME COMICS CONFIDENTIAL: This one is BIG. (Did you know it was big?) Also, although published by Yoe Books, it's edited by Steven Brower. I don't know what kind of difference that will make (if any), but I have learned to trust any anthology published by Craig Yoe.

FIRE POWER: I hope that shrug was for the previews Skybound has been sending you and not the title itself. Otherwise, I'll be very disappointed in you, young man! 

• Fear State - I love these events now that I have no interest in them. It gives me a reason to drop the titles involved in it for a few months, if not forever.

Crime Comics Confidential TPB - This might go on a wishlist. Unless, I pre-ordered it. I don't remember.

(But I also love just about everything Jenny Frison does. Look at that lovely cover below.) - I actually did not like Jenny Frison's covers initially, but now I love them  I can admit when I am wrong.

Fire Power by Kirkman & Samnee #15 - I agree with Jeff. I initially picked this up on his recommendation,

Sinister War #4 (of 4) - CC sez: Man, this event is turning into torture porn. Yeah, we get it, Spidey is horrifically outnumbered. Why doesn't he call the Avengers? Get on with it, already. - You make me happy I skipped this, skipper!

• Jeff of Earth-J said:

80TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIALS: I stopped buying these after the "Big Three," but you have been so enthusiastic about them that I'm starting to second guess my decision. Can you tell me how many I have missed? I prefer the HC editions as they include all the covers plus some extra stories as well. can anyone tell me how many have been released in HC as well?

All I'm aware of are Flash #750 Deluxe Edition and Wonder Woman #750 Deluxe Edition, Jeff. There are a lot of other "80 Years" HCs beyond Action, Detective and the two above, but the ones I have don't collect the covers from the Super-Spectaculars. Here are the ones I'm aware of:

• Batman: 80 Years of the Bat-Family
    • Batman: The Bat & The Cat — 80 Years of Romance
    • Flash: 80 Years of the Fastest Man Alive
    • Green Arrow: 80 Years of the Emerald Archer
    • Green Lantern: 80 Years of the Emerald Knight
    • Green Lantern: John Stewart — A Celebration of 50 Years
    • Joker: 80 Years of the Clown Prince of Crime
    • Robin: 80 Years of the Boy Wonder
    • Wonder Woman Through the Years
    • Wonder Woman: 80 Years of the Amazon Warrior

I'm not quite sure why WW gets two. I have one and the other on order, so I can't compare yet to see how much they overlap.

• Thanks!

Upon closer inspection, I have only the Action Comics and Detective Comics ones in HC. I also have the Flash #750 and Wonder Woman #750, plus the Flash  and Robin "80 Years" ones. Now at least I have a list of the ones I missed for the next sale. 

This reply was deleted.