GENRE TV

Snowpiercer, "Keep Hope Alive" (TNT, Feb. 22)

Black Lightning, "The Book of Reconstruction: Chapter Three" (CW, Feb. 22)

Superman & Lois, season 1 premiere, "Pilot" (CW, Feb. 23)

Superman & Lois, "Heritage" (CW, Feb. 23)

This two-episode premiere bumps The Flash season premiere to next week.

Riverdale, "Chapter Eighty-Two: Back to School" (CW, Feb. 24)

Resident Alien, "Love Language" (Syfy, Feb. 24)

WandaVision, episode TBD (Disney+, Feb. 26)

For All Mankind, "The Bleeding Edge" (Amazon Prime, Feb. 26)

A Discovery of Witches, "Episode 2.8" (BBC America, Feb. 27)

American Gods, “The Rapture of Burning” (Starz, Feb. 28)

Batwoman, "Do Not Resuscitate" (CW, Feb. 28)

The Walking Dead, season 10c premiere, "Home Sweet Home" (AMC, Feb. 28)

Charmed, "Yew Do You" (CW, Feb. 28)

MOVIES

Tom & Jerry (Theaters/HBO Max, Feb. 26)

One of the most beloved rivalries in history is reignited when Jerry moves into New York City’s finest hotel on the eve of “the wedding of the century,” forcing the event’s desperate planner to hire Tom to get rid of him, in director Tim Story’s “Tom & Jerry.” The ensuing cat and mouse battle threatens to destroy her career, the wedding and possibly the hotel itself. But soon, an even bigger problem arises: a diabolically ambitious staffer conspiring against all three of them.

This isn't exactly a genre film, but I suspect it will scratch some nostalgia itches with this crowd!

Deadpool Nerdy Thirty Live Virtual Event (Feb. 25)

Celebrate 30 years of Marvel’s Merc with a Mouth during Marvel’s year-long Deadpool Nerdy Thirty anniversary event! Kicking off LIVE during the DEADPOOL NERDY THIRTY VIRTUAL EVENT on Thursday, February 25 at 7pm ET, fans will get a chance to go inside the madcap mind of Wade Wilson with creators and industry legends from across the decades, spilling behind-the-scenes secrets, history, and exclusive reveals featuring Deadpool collectibles, comics, and more!

The DEADPOOL NERDY THIRTY VIRTUAL EVENT is completely free to Marvel Unlimited Annual Plus members, one of many perks including exclusive access to special invitations for Marvel events, special Marvel Unlimited Annual Plus members collector’s kits, benefits and discounts, and instant access to over 28,000 comics on Marvel Unlimited.

If you are not a current Marvel Unlimited Annual Plus member, you can subscribe to Annual Plus now at marvel.com/mu-nerdythirty and attend the virtual event. Fans who take part in the DEADPOOL NERDY THIRTY VIRTUAL EVENT will hear from some of the biggest names behind Deadpool’s decades, including Fabian Nicieza, Ed McGuinness, Joe Kelly, Gail Simone, Daniel Way, Gerry Duggan, Brian Posehn, Mike Hawthorne, and Rob Liefeld!

There will also be a limited quantity of tickets available for sale for non-Marvel Unlimited Annual Plus members interested in attending the event.

Later this year, fans will want to look out for a bonanza of new collectibles, home décor, apparel and more—all celebrating Deadpool’s signature style and flair, including:

• Deadpool Funko POP! collectibles
  • Deadpool home décor from Jay Franco and BoxLunch that instantly spice up any room
  • A Cooking With Deadpool cook book, featuring flavorful recipes that add humor, fire and fun to every cook’s kitchen
  • Marvel Legends: Deadpool’s Interactive Head from Hasbro — the perfect companion for any Marvel fan
  • And more soon-to-be-announced product hijinks just in time for the April prank season. What will Deadpool do next?!

Don’t miss the start of our wildest Deadpool celebrations all year long, LIVE on Thursday, Feb. 25, at 7pm ET!

CROSSOVERS/EVENTS

Black History Month (Marvel)

Black Panther #23

Cover by Daniel Acuña

Black History Month variant by Ernanda Souza

Variant by Julian Totino Tedesco

Written by Ta-Nehisi Coates

Art by Daniel Acuña and Ryan Bodenheim

The highly-anticipated return of Ta-Nehisi Coates’ unforgettable run on BLACK PANTHER arrives in February. Featuring outstanding art by Daniel Acuña and Ryan Bodenheim, BLACK PANTHER #23 will continue to reveal Coates’ grand vision for the character of King T’Challa and the Kingdom of Wakanda.

Deep in space, T’Challa has discovered an alternate Wakandan society. Known as the Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda, these ruthless warriors present a dark reflection of T’Challa’s kingdom. Having abandoned their peaceful ways, this powerful empire looks to conquer the cosmos … and Earth’s Wakanda is their next target. This daring, thought-provoking take on the Black Panther mythology also features surprising developments for supporting characters such as Shuri, Storm, and Black Panther’s greatest foe, Erik Killmonger. Get your first look at this pivotal chapter in Black Panther’s legacy in an all-new trailer, featuring never-before-seen artwork from this highly-anticipated issue.

With issue #23, Ta-Nehisi Coates’ contribution to the Black Panther mythology begins its startling conclusion, expanding the legend of Black Panther like never before. Throughout this bold saga, Coates’ landmark era has introduced exciting new characters, redefined favorites such as Shuri, rekindled the King of Wakanda’s romance with Storm, and resurrected one of Black Panther’s greatest foes, Erik Killmonger.

“We’re so excited to bring BLACK PANTHER back to the stands, and we thank all our readers for their patience,” said editor Wil Moss. “I promise, these last three issues will be worth the wait -- Ta-Nehisi and Daniel have been building to this finale for over two years now, and the ensuing battle between the forces of T’Challa’s Wakanda and Emperor N’Jadaka’s Intergalactic Empire is going to knock your socks off! Just wait’ll you see who shows up to help defend Wakanda …”

Def Jam Recordings Collaborates With Marvel Comics To Celebrate Iconic Black Panther Series With New Short Stories

Def Jam Recordings and Marvel Comics – two iconic brands who have left an indelible stamp on popular culture the world over – today announce a special collaboration designed to integrate the voices of young Black creatives with one of the most transformative characters and storylines in graphic arts history: Black Panther. Three of Def Jam’s rising stars – Saint Bodhi, Bobby Sessions, and Kaash Paige – will each contribute character-driven short stories in Black Panther #23, #24, and #25, the last three issues of the “Intergalactic Empire” saga from the acclaimed creative team featuring writer Ta-Nehisi Coates and artist Daniel Acuna.

In celebration of Black History Month, arriving February 24th, Black Panther #23 will see buzzing South-Central-LA singer/songwriter Saint Bodhi share her take on Storm for an emotional story grounded in tragedy and acceptance.  One month later in issue #24, Dallas-native, revolutionary rapper Bobby Sessions will tell a story about the King of Wakanda Black Panther himself.  And in the series finale issue #25 in April, “Toxic R&B” breakout star Kaash Paige will forge a tale about Wakandan Princess Shuri and the power of knowledge. Aligned with the Def Jam Forward initiative to promote social, economic, and educational equality, each three-page story will also feature an exclusive one-page Def Jam artist profile.

"Bringing these two logos together was a dream,” said Def Jam partnerships consultant Jonathan Rheingold. “There was a mutual desire to unite these two great brands for a mission and a cause — leveraging Def Jam's rising stars and the legendary Marvel characters to tell powerful stories that would make an emotional connection with fans of both cultures.”

Bodhi, Sessions and Paige are stepping into comics for the first time within these highly anticipated issues, but each of the Def Jam artists have a long-standing passion for Marvel and the world of comics and graphic arts in general. And like the inspirations behind their latest albums, the challenges faced by Marvel’s heroes are not so far removed from their own. “My album Mad World is a raw, honest, and very personal journey into my life and upbringing in South Central L.A.,” Saint Bodhi writes. “I grew up with a not-so-normal past.  I say the things people are afraid to say. I let you experience the ‘mad world’ that is my life.”

Similarly, “Teenage Fever is my debut album and it was important for me to capture my last year of being a teen through my music,” says 20-year old Kaash. “This chapter of my life is coming to an end so I wanted to put all my experiences into a document that will live forever.”

“My album Manifest is a guide for people to transform into the greatest version of themselves,” Sessions concludes.  “A body of work that will lead people to find their inner super hero!”

Bodhi, Sessions, and Paige will bring their short stories to life alongside some of Marvel’s most talented comic book writers and artists. Kicking off with her Storm story in Black Panther #23, Bodhi will be joined by co-writer Danny Lore, artist Alitha Martinez, and colorist Rachelle Rosenberg. Don’t miss this iconic new issue of Black Panther and Bodhi’s Marvel Comics debut, on stands in comic shops everywhere February 24th! As a bonus, Bodhi’s debut story will also be included in Marvel’s Voices: Legacy #1, a celebration of Black voices and artists, on sale the same day.

Over the next week, fans can tune in to Marvel’s podcasts on SiriusXM including This Week in Marvel, Women of Marvel, and Marvel’s Pull List to hear from these artists making their Marvel debuts. More information about Sessions and Paige’s stories will be released in the coming weeks.

King In Black: Return of the Valkyries #3

X-Men #18

Cover by Leinil Francis Yu

Black History Month Variant by Ernanda Souza

Written by Jonathan Hickman

Art by Mahmud Asrar

Marvel / Teen+ / $3.99

Future State (DC Comics)

Future State: Aquaman #2 (of 2)

Art and cover by Daniel Sampere

Card stock variant cover by Khary Randolph ($4.99)

Written by Brandon Thomas

$3.99 US | 32 Pages | FC

Andy Curry, daughter of Arthur and Mera, has had a pretty terrible month. Jackson Hyde, a.k.a. Aquaman, won’t stop calling her Aqualass when she’s told him a thousand times it’s Aquawoman. She’s manifested a new power that scares the absolute hell out of her. Oh, and she and Jackson just got ripped apart in the midst of a cosmic space ocean and she can’t find him anywhere! For the first time in her 14 years, Andy’s all alone — and it’s gonna take her wits, her will, and every single lesson Jackson ever taught her to survive.

Future State: Batman/Superman #2 (of 2)

Cover by David Marquez

Card stock variant cover by Arthur Adams ($4.99)

Written by Gene Luen Yang

Art by Ben Oliver, Scott McDaniel and others

$3.99 US | 32 Pages | FC

Superman has fallen deep into the Magistrate’s Kryptonite caverns, and now he’s at the mercy of a gruesomely transformed Professor Pyg! So what do animalistic body modification and caves of Kryptonite have to do with the Magistrate’s growing fascist state in Gotham City? That’s what Batman needs to find out as the race against time to save the Man of Steel nears its end! All we know for sure is that during this battle, something happened that drove a wedge between Bruce and Clark. ... Discover the answers in the conclusion that will rock the World’s Finest to their core!

Future State: Dark Detective #4 (of 4)

Cover by Dan Mora

Card stock variant cover by Brian Bolland ($6.99)

“Dark Detective” written by Mariko Tamaki, art by Dan Mora

$5.99 US | 48 Pages | FC

Bruce Wayne may be a dead man in the eyes of the villainous Magistrate, but this dark detective isn’t through yet! In this pulse-pounding finale, Bruce makes his final move and comes face to face with the man at the top of Gotham’s oppressive regime, Peacekeeper One! With bombs planted and the trap waiting to be sprung, this final battle will decide the fate of Gotham City once and for all ...

“Red Hood” written by Joshua Williamson, art by Giannis Milonogiannis

And after the events of the last “Red Hood” chapter, Jason Todd is a wanted man. He got too close to the mystery of the new Red Hood Gang, and that forced the Magistrate to take extreme measures — because no one can know the truth. Hurt and alone, Jason must turn to some unlikely allies if he’s going to survive!

Future State: Superman: House of El one-shot

Cover by Yanick Paquette

Card stock variant cover by Jay Anacleto ($6.99)

Written by Phillip Kennedy Johnson

Art by Scott Godlewski

$5.99 US | 48 Pages | FC

Centuries into the future, the bloodline of Kal-El, the hero we know as Clark Kent, continues. Meet a new generation of Kryptonian heroes as they stand against one of the greatest threats they’ve ever faced: a diabolical foe called the Red King. Get ready for the unexpected debuts of the twins known as Rowan and Ronan Kent, descendants of Jonathan Kent. Rowan is the new Superman of Earth, while his sister is a Blue Lantern. Also on board are Theand’r Ban-El, whose mother was Tamaranean, and other heroes — all led by the original Man of Steel himself! Plus, don’t miss an appearance by the Black Racer!

See how the future of the Superman Family comes together in this wild, extra-size special!

Future State: Legion of Super-Heroes #2 (of 2)

Art and cover by Riley Rossmo

Card stock variant cover by Ian MacDonald ($4.99)

Written by Brian Michael Bendis

$3.99 US | 32 Pages | FC

The unthinkable has happened: one of the Legionnaires has betrayed the entire galaxy! The United Planets is in ruins, the team has been scattered across the cosmos, and madness reigns on multiple worlds! Now the surviving Legionnaires are just discovering the real truth behind what has happened to their dream of a new age of heroes. Don’t miss this shocking twist 1,000 years in the making from the team of writer Brian Michael Bendis and visionary artist Riley Rossmo.

Future State: Suicide Squad #2 (of 2)

Cover by Javi Fernandez

Card stock variant cover by Derrick Chew ($6.99)

$5.99 US | 48 Pages | FC

“Suicide Squad” written by Robbie Thompson, art by Javi Fernandez

Peacemaker attacks! Assigned to bring Amanda Waller back to Earth-1 at all costs, the Suicide Squad battles Waller’s private Justice League on Earth-3. As lives are lost and blood is spilled, the fate of the Multiverse will be decided by Superman!

“Black Adam” written by Jeremy Adams, art by Fernando Pasarin

Also in this issue, the 853rd Century is burning, and only Black Adam can save reality from the onslaught of murderous rage from a new threat spawned from a former hero.

Future State: Superman vs. Imperious Lex #2 (of 3)

Cover by Yanick Paquette

Card stock variant cover by Skan ($4.99)

written by Mark Russell

art by Steve Pugh

$3.99 US | 32 Pages | FC

It’s really happening: Lexor has joined the United Planets! While surveying, Lois Lane and Superman discover that the planet is rich in minerals, causing Lex Luthor to try and exit the federation to make a pretty penny! Realizing he can’t leave without agreement from Earth, he imprisons Lois Lane, then whips up the propaganda machine against Superman. Now the power couple must work together to break free and stop Luthor’s plans! But how can they fight a whole planet that’s designed to hate them? 

Generations Forged #1 one-shot

Cover by Liam Sharp

Variant cover by Gary Frank

Written by Dan Jurgens, Andy Schmidt and Robert Venditti

Art by Bryan Hitch, Mike Perkins, Bernard Chang, Paul Pelletier and others

$9.99 US | 80 Pages | FC

Dispersed through time by the villain Dominus, our ragtag team of generational heroes — featuring 1939 Batman, Kamandi, Superboy, Steel, Starfire, Sinestro, Booster Gold, and Dr. Light — must find a way to restore the timeline … and what they ultimately discover is something far, far greater. You’ll have to read it to believe it as time dies … and generations rise! 

My comics shop ran out of Generations Broken #1 (or whatever it was called) and I toyed with ordering it online. But then I read what y'all had to say about it, and figured it wasn't Future State-related enough to make reading it urgent. Now I see in DC's May solicitations that they're going to package the two books as an HC, so I guess I'll just wait for that.

King in Black (Marvel)

Black Cat #3

Cover: Pepe Larraz

Writer: Jed MacKay

Art: C.F. Villa

Marvel / Rated T+ / $3.99

Stealing from a space god has made Felicia Hardy pull out a whole new bag of tricks. And some of these tricks? Their effects may last far beyond the invasion of the King in Black.

King in Black: Namor #4 (of 5)

Cover by Leinil Francis Yu

Variant by Valerio Giangiordano

Writer: Kurt Busiek

Art: Ben Dewey, Jonas Scharf

Marvel / Teen+ / $3.99

The Black Tide's wave of devastation now threatens Atlantis itself. Namor, Dorma and Attuma may be the undersea world's only hope, but unless they can shake off their utter defeat from last issue, they don't even stand a chance. And worse, the one possible weapon they could wield against the Black Tide is in Murmansk, thousands of miles away. It's Atlantis' darkest hour.

I've made my distaste for Venom, and therefore this whole crossover, clear. But I confess to being curious about this title, as it appears to be set in Namor's youth. (Not only is Attuma not yet an enemy, but Dorma is alive.) It makes me wonder if they characterize young Namor as Bill Everett did back in the '40s and '50s when he wrote stories of Namor's youth? To tell you the truth, he's a much more fun character that way; I find his modern age presentation as a pompous jerk to be a real turn-off. In fact, back when I was a huge John Byrne fan, Namor was the first Byrne book I couldn't force myself to read.

King in Black: Planet of the Symbiotes #1 (of 3) 2nd Ptg

King in Black: Return of the Valkyries #1 (of 4) 2nd Ptg

King in Black: Return of the Valkyries #3 (of 4)

Cover: Mattia De Iulis

Head shot variant by Todd Nauck

Variant by Phil Noto

Writers: Jason Aaron, Torunn Gronbekk

Art: Nina Vakueva

Marvel / Rated T+ / $3.99

THE NEW VALKYRIE FINDS HER WEAPON — WILL IT BE ENOUGH?

Plus, a spotlight on Dani Moonstar as the X-Man fights to save both human and mutantkind! Jane Foster is going to need all the friends and power she can muster, but Knull and his symbiote army are slaughtering at a rate that even a hundred Valkyries couldn't match ... and now Knull has some of the world's greatest heroes on his side. Can four warriors hope to stem the tide?

Sword #2 2nd Ptg

Symbiote Spider-Man: King in Black #4 (of 5)

Art/Cover: Greg Land

Writer: Peter David

Marvel / Rated T / $3.99

FORCES COLLIDE!

Spider-Man and his allies learn you can't just walk around Knowhere without running into trouble ...

Enter: ULIK!

When was the last time we saw Ulik? I remember while reading Thor a long time ago thinking that I wasn't all that interested in the character, since he had proven to be no real threat to the Thunder God. (He lost every fight.) Maybe the writers/editors had the same idea. Anyway, having him fight other characters, who aren't divinely stronger than he is, is a better use of a villain who was in a rut (boast he was going to beat Thor, fight Thor, lose to Thor).

Mech Strike (Marvel)

Captain Marvel #26

Mech Strike variant by Leonel Castellani 

Marvel Voices (Marvel)

Marvel’s Voices: Legacy #1

Cover by Taurin Clarke

Stormbreakers variant cover by Natacha Bustos

Variant by Olivier Coipel

Variant by Edge

Variant by Ken Lashley

Variant by Ernanda Souza

Written by Stephanie Williams, Ho Che Anderson, Danny Lore, Nnedi Okorafor, Tochi Onyebuchi, Mohale Mashigo and John Ridley

Art by Natacha Bustos, Sean Damien Hill, Valentine De Landro, Chriscross, Ken Lashley, Chris Allen and Olivier Coipel

Marvel Comics celebrates Black History Month in part with MARVEL’S VOICES: LEGACY #1. In addition to the all-star list of creators contributing to the issue, MARVELS VOICE’S: LEGACY #1 will also have a stunning collection of variant covers by some of the industry’s biggest talents. Marvel’s Stormbreaker Natacha Bustos, Olivier Coipel, Ejiwa "Edge" Ebenebe, Ken Lashley, and Ernanda Souza honor Marvel’s legacy of Black heroes in incredible depictions of iconic characters such as Storm, Shuri, Black Panther, Monica Rambeau, and many more.

Featuring a dazzling array of stories by both new and established creators, MARVEL’S VOICES: LEGACY #1 will consist of seven thrilling tales plus an introduction by New York Times best-selling author Nic Stone (Shuri: A Black Panther Novel). Eisner Award-winning writer Nnedi Okorafor (Shuri) pens a Venom story highlighting the importance of heroes who fight for the downtrodden. Explore Blade’s legacy – vampiric and heroic – in a story by writer Danny Lore (2020 Ironheart). And in their exciting Marvel Comics debuts, Ho Che Anderson (King) brings Luke Cage fans an old-school story about the choices that make a hero, author Tochi Onyebuchi (Beasts Made of Night, War Girls) tells an action-packed tale of a wild night in Madripoor with Domino, writer Stephanie Williams highlights family in a light-hearted Monica Rambeau story, and Marvel’s most promising young heroes — Ironheart, Ms. Marvel, and Shuri — team up for an adventure by award-winning novelist Mohale Mashigo (The Yearning)! Lastly, Academy Award winning screenwriter John Ridley closes out this epic issue with a poignant look at the impact of Miles Morales. See these outstanding writers take on their favorite heroes in tales designed to inspire and uplift, featuring interior art by ChrisCross, Valentine De Landro, Sean Damien Hill, Ken Lashley, Natacha Bustos, Chris Allen, and Olivier Coipel.

“I’m deeply appreciative of having had the opportunity to contribute to this amazing collection of narratives,” Ridley said. “Marvel’s Voices reminds us all of the power of words, representation and self-expression. And to be able to add to the growing legacy of Miles Morales…. That’s about as good as it gets.”

“With each one of the stories created, we have a chance to see the unique perspectives of all the creatives involved, and in many ways, the impact of the over 80-year legacy of the Marvel Universe and its characters on writers and artists of color,” Marvel’s Voices host Angélique Roché told SYFY Wire. “That is the beauty of Marvel's Voices, it strives to bring to the forefront the unique experiences and perspectives of diverse communities through the lens of — and our shared love of — the Marvel Universe.”

“One of the exciting things about the Marvel's Voices program is bringing in new talent. We’re trying to find people who can continue to add to the Marvel Universe and who we can continue to elevate,” Editor Sarah Brunstad told Marvel.com. “As an editor, you’re always trying to recruit the next hot creator, and to be given the freedom to hire a bunch of new people — that’s very exciting. That’s the ground floor of the next generation of writers and artists, the kind of stuff you want to look back on in 10 years and say 'this is where it started.'”

I prefer diversity to be introduced in a story organically, which is how I prefer anything to be introduced in a story. But I guess they're making up for lost time.

Stormbreakers (Marvel)

Marvel Voices: Legacy #1

Stormbreakers variant by Natacha Bustos

FIRST ISSUES

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Faith #1

Cover: Kevin Wada

Writers: Jordie Bellaire, Jeremy Lambert

Art: Eleonora Carlini

Boom Studios / $7.99

THE FUTURE OF THE BUFFYVERSE BEGINS HERE!

The future of the Buffyverse begins in an all new one-shot revealing the secrets of Faith the Vampire Slayer.

With no Watcher, no idea how to harness the power in her and no idea where it came from, Faith has fallen back on old habits — and morals — to guide her.

But what happens when those morals don't line up with the Council's ... or with Buffy's?

The origin of Faith is revealed here for the first time, with a shocking ending to this issue!

A perfect jumping on point for new and longtime Buffy fans alike that sets the stage for shocking events to come.

By the Horns #1 (of 6)

Art/Cover: Jason Muhr

Markisan Naso

Scout / $3.99

Elodie hates unicorns. For nearly a year, she's dedicated her life to tracking down and killing them all for trampling her husband, Shintaro. Now exiled from her farming village of Wayfarer for selfishly neglecting her duties, Elodie and her half wolf/half deer companion, Sajen, search the continent of Solothus for clues to the whereabouts of unicorns. When they discover a lead in the port city of Lycus, their revenge mission suddenly takes a dangerous turn.

Captain Marvel: Marvels Snapshots #1

Cover by Alex Ross

Variant by Roe

Written by Mark Waid

Art by Colleen Doran

Marvel / Teen+ / $4.99

A team of heroes fights a stirring battle for the safety of the planet. A young woman struggles with desperation and despair, trying to cope in the modern world. But that’s only the beginning.

Featuring Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel, and a few more surprises, Kurt Busiek invites superstar creators MARK WAID and COLLEEN DORAN to tell a tale of inspiration within inspiration, as we see how the world’s marvels have inspired others — and how they’ve been inspired themselves.

I think this is the last of these.

Chasing the Dragon #1 (of 5)

Art/Cover; Menton3

Writer: Denton J. Tipton

Heavy Metal $3.99

In Chasing the Dragon, New York Times-bestselling writer Denton J. Tipton and acclaimed painter menton3 explore a dark fantasy world ravaged by the rampant abuse of a drug made from the blood of dragons. When two young slaves discover a terrible secret that could change the course of the world, will a meek alchemist's apprentice and a drug-addled concubine survive long outside their cages? For fans of Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad.

OMG, Angelinie Jolie is in this comic book! Oh, wait, I guess she was just used as photo reference.

Fear Diaries Special Edition one-shot

Art/Cover: Nicolas Touris

Writer: Garrett Gunn

Source Point Press / $9.99

When we are young, our parents tell us that there is nothing that goes bump in the night. That the terrifying monsters that live in our bedrooms are figments of our imagination. Our eyes playing tricks on us. They tell us that the Boogeyman doesn't exist. That there is nothing under our beds or lurking in the shadows of our closets. There there is nothing to be afraid of. There's only one problem. They lied.

Moon Maid: Three Keys #1

Cover A: Richard Ortiz

Cover B: Carola Borelli 

Cover C: Richard Ortiz

Writer: Mike Wolfer

Art: Miriana Puglia

American Mythology / $3.99

Edgar Rice Burroughs' fantastic, sci-fi adventure of the world inside our hollow moon explodes in an exciting new direction in this tale of an all-new, all-different "Moon Maid!" Living in seclusion in the crumbling, ancient city inside one of the moon's craters on a remote island, Loh-ee-nah's solitary existence is about to be shattered, threatening the earth-shaking secret that lies within the overthrown city of Groethe. As if gigantic creatures stalking the jungles of her island sanctuary wasn't enough to contend with, Loh-ee-nah finds herself compelled to take in a roving band of displaced Va-gas, the monstrous, cannibalistic adversaries of her people, but why would she sacrifice her safety among the ruins of Groethe in order to save the life of a dying enemy? You'll find out all that and more in this brand-new, canonical excursion into the Edgar Rice Burroughs Universe, written by Mike Wolfer and premiering the incredible art of comics newcomer Miriana Puglia!  Available with three covers - Main by Richard Ortiz, Variant by Carola Borelli, and 300 Copy Limited Edition Virgin Cover Variant also by Ortiz. 

This book doesn't just feel like something that ought to be published by Dynamite, it's an ERB property, just like Dejah Thoris. Why isn't Dynamite publishing it? 

Nuclear Family #1

Art/Cover: Tony Shasteen

Writer: Stephanie Phillips

Aftershock / $4.99

America, 1957. Elvis dominates the airwaves and apple pie is served after every meal. But, with the dark cloud of nuclear holocaust looming, Korean War vet Tim McClean's major concern is taking care of his family in the atomic age.

When the first bomb does drop on an unexpecting Midwest city, Tim and his family find themselves plunged into a strange new world, where what's left of the Unites States has gone underground while continuing to wage war on Russia with unthinkable tactics.

Based on Philip K. Dick's short story Breakfast at Twilight, NUCLEAR FAMILY is written by Stephanie Phillips (Butcher of Paris, Heavy Metal, ARTEMIS AND THE ASSASSIN, RED ATLANTIS) and illustrated by Tony Shasteen (Star Trek). It is Cold War era science fiction at its most timely and terrifying.

Stray Dogs #1 (of 5)

Cover A: Tony Fleecs and Trish Forstner

Cover B: Horror movie variant by Tony Fleecs and Trish Forstner

Cover C: Blank

Cover D: Acetate variant

Writer: Tony Fleecs

Art: Trish Forstner

Image / $3.99

Image Comics will unleash a five issue, Don Bluth-style thriller called Stray Dogs by My Little Pony artists Tony Fleecs and Trish Forstner this February.

In an exclusive scoop, The Hollywood Reporter revealed that Paramount Animation "has picked up the rights to [Stray Dogs], setting Game Night scribe Mark Perez to write the script. Gary Dauberman, the horror filmmaker who counts the Annabelle and It movies among his writing credits, is set to produce via his banner, Coin Operated."

As the mystery unfolds over each issue of the comic book series, fans will be treated with special Horror Movie homage variants that feature a canine spin on the iconic imagery. The first, of course, will be a nod to Silence of the Lambs.

It’s scary being the new dog. In this suspenseful new series, readers meet Sophie, a dog who can’t remember what happened. She doesn’t know how she ended up in this house. She doesn’t recognize any of these other dogs. She knows something terrible happened, but she just…can’t…recall...WAIT! Where’s her lady? Now Sophie has to figure out where she is, what’s happening and how she’s going to survive this.

“When I had the idea for this comic, a suspense/horror story told from the perspective of dogs, I knew that if I wanted it to REALLY work, I needed it to look exactly like one of those great, 80s-90s era animated movies," said Fleecs in an exclusive scoop at The Hollywood Reporter on the announcement. "That’s what made me think of Trish.”

Forstner told THR: “I had studied with Don Bluth in his online program and learned some of his theories on storytelling and acting for animation. Drawing this book, I’m taking those ideas and creating believable, lovable characters with emotional acting and expressions. This story is something special.”

This looks like a cute Disney-style animal story. Of course, I outgrew Disney-style animal stories a few decades ago. But I suspect that, despite the familiar art style, it's a bit more serious. I have a DRC, so I'll find out soon.

Two Moons #1

Cover A by Valerio Giangiordano

Cover B by Gerardo Zaffino

Cover C: Blank

Writer: John Arcudi

Art: Valerio Giangiordano, Dave Stewart

Image / $3.99

Fan favorite Rumble and B.P.R.D. writer John Arcudi joins rising star artist Valerio Giangiordano for a bone chilling tale of terror in the forthcoming Two Moons. The all new ongoing horror series is set to launch from Image Comics this February.

Perfect for fans of series like Manifest Destiny and American Vampire, Two Moons invites readers on the long journey of a young Pawnee man named Virgil Morris — aka Two Moons — fighting for the Union during the Civil War. When he is suddenly confronted with his shamanic roots, he discovers horrors far worse than combat as the ghosts of his past reveal the monstrous evil around him!

"Two Moons is a book I’ve been trying to write for years. It’s a horror/action story first and foremost, but it’s more than that for me and, I hope, for the reader," said Arcudi in an exclusive scoop on the announcement with The Hollywood Reporter. "The complicated history of indigenous peoples during the 19th C. was what inspired me to take this story on and we explore some of that through the eyes of a young Pawnee man as he grows to learn more about his place in the world. And Valerio Giangiordano is absolutely KILLING it on the art! Could not have asked for a better collaborator on this gorgeous book. I’m excited to see this finally get out of my head and into readers’ hands."

If this is set in the Civil War, I have one request: Do NOT make the hero a Confederate. I've had enough of the "Lost Cause" propaganda, especially having to stomach the Confederate battle flag in the Capitol on Jan. 6.

GRAPHIC NOVELS OF NOTE

Complete Darkness Vol. 1

Art/Cover: Marc Silvestri

Writers: Garth Ennis, David Wohl, Malachy Coney

Art: Michael Turner, Joe Benitez

Image / $49.99 HC / $29.99 TPB

The criminal underworld of New York City is a dark and brutal place, but it's never seen horror like this ...

In the opening salvo of this bestselling series, created by industry legends MARC SILVESTRI and GARTH ENNIS, up-and-coming mobster Jackie Estacado discovers a nightmarish new inheritance-the supernatural power known only as the Darkness! Weighing his conscience against the ability to mold the shadows to his will, Jackie finds himself dealing with worse than the usual wiseguys: an ancient cult, an angelic archenemy, and the corrupting consequences of the demonic entity empowering him. All this and more, gorgeously rendered and painstakingly assembled in the first of a series of absolute collected editions

Collects DARKNESS #1-18, TALES OF THE DARKNESS #1-4 & 1/2, DARKNESS: PRELUDE #1, WITCHBLADE #10, #18 & 19.

I sampled the original Image titles in ... what was it, 1992? I found Rob Liefeld's material to be derivative drek, Todd McFarlane's work to be more flash than substance, Erik Larsen's Savage Dragon too juvenile, and Jim Valentino's occasional forays as not ready for prime time. (To be fair, I felt the same about this work when it was being done at Marvel — I just saw nothing at Image to change my established opinions.) I sampled, and quit, all their titles.

That leaves Jim Lee and Whilce Portacio, whose work I thought was professional, original-ish and attractive. I didn't buy a ton of their early Image work, which I vaguely remember was a result of their books arriving erratically.

Lucky for me, Jim Lee joined DC and WildStorm went with him, making it easier for me to follow those books (due to DC's greater distribution reach, bigger press runs and reprint lines). That left Portacio's Top Cow, and while I'm not familiar with the entire oeuvre, I was aware of Witchblade and The Darkness, the former because of the TV show and the latter because it seemed related to Witchblade comics. And here again, I'm in luck: Image is re-publishing Witchblade from the beginning in Omnibus form, and now The Darkness is following suit. That's pretty much all I need to fill in the blanks in my Image collection, such as it is.

And speaking of Jim Lee ...

Jim Lee’s X-Men: Artist Edition

By Jim Lee, Chris Claremont and Scott Williams

$150.00 US, 160-page, black-and-white hardcover, 12” x 17"

IDW / $150.00

In October, IDW Publishing (OTCQX: IDWM) will celebrate the dynamic artwork of industry icon Jim Lee with the addition of Jim Lee’s X-Men Artist’s Edition to its multiple Eisner Award-winning AE line.

Nearly 30 years ago, Jim Lee joined writer Chris Claremont and inker Scott Williams to launch Marvel’s all-new, all-different X-Men – the classic 1990s “Blue Team” that defined the look and attitude of the X-Men brand for a generation. The impact his dynamic artwork has had on the comics industry — on his legions of fans and the artists who have been inspired by and emulated him — is truly immeasurable. In a career filled with highlights, his work on X-Men is arguably his most popular and enduring.

“While I had intended to follow in my father’s footsteps and become a doctor, comics were always my passion, and incredibly, more than 30 years ago, I became the artist of my favorite comic book, The X-Men,” says Lee. “Bringing those characters to life on the printed page was an amazing experience and while several decades have since passed, I still fondly look back on this work with great pride. Flipping through this book will, I have no doubt, rekindle lots of happy memories for me … and I hope for you as well.”

This Artist’s Edition will include the entire complete story from the bestselling comic book of the modern era, X-Men #1. Additionally, this book will include scans of gorgeous original artwork from some of Lee’s best and most iconic issues — covers, splashes, pin-ups, and interior pages. Each page has been meticulously scanned from Lee’s original art for this book, affording the reader insight into his creative process never before available outside of original art collectors.

As with all Artist’s Editions, each gorgeous page will be reproduced from scans of the original art and printed at the same size they were drawn, with all the distinctive creative nuances that make original art unique – a perfect representation of the work in its original form.

I was on Marvel's comp list when the specific issue on the cover above came out ... and they didn't send it to me. But I didn't miss it, as it was a flashback issue that didn't impact the ongoing storylines.

Then I started reading references online to Wolverine meeting Captain America and Black Widow in World War II. "What th-?" I thought. "How is that possible, when Logan was in the Canadian army in WWII and Natasha was a child? And, come to think of it, how can Natasha still be in her 20s/30s if she was a child in World War II? That's never been explained, has it? And further, how is it possible that I have never read this issue of Uncanny X-Men, when I thought I had them all?"

It turned out to be a VERY popular issue, and it took me a couple of years to finally find a NM copy. And now I have all the answers to all my questions, which I have forgotten. But I remember very specifically my difficulty in getting it!

The Marvel Art of the Brothers Hildebrandt HC

By Greg and Tim Hildebrandt

$59.99 US / $79.99 CAN / 284-page, full color hardcover, 9” x 12″

IDW / $59.99

Fans of classic fantasy illustration and Marvel's most iconic characters are in for a one-of-a-kind treat with The Marvel Art of the Brothers Hildebrandt, a deluxe, oversized art book featuring hundreds of paintings and sketches by legendary illustrators Greg and Tim Hildebrandt. Published by IDW, this 284-page, full color hardcover will be available for purchase beginning February 23, 2021.

In 1994, Greg and Tim Hildebrandt began an amazing relationship with Marvel Comics, producing the incredible Marvel Masterpieces trading card set, featuring all of The House of Ideas' most incredible characters: Spider-Man, Captain America, Black Panther, the X-Men, the Fantastic Four, and so many others! The entire set is reproduced in The Marvel Art of the Brothers Hildebrandt, alongside showcasing model photos and preliminary drawings of the paintings.

This beautiful art book also includes the X-Men 2099 painted graphic novel, written by John Francis Moore and illustrated by the Brothers Hildebrandt, as well as a treasure trove of illustrations that came after their massive Marvel Masterpieces undertaking. Artwork from the ‘90s through today, published as trading cards, posters, and more, are featured with insightful commentary, amusing anecdotes, and candid reminisces by the one and only Greg Hildebrandt.

“In 1993, I walked into Marvel, met Tom DeFalco, told him that I wanted to do something in comics, and he said, ‘How about 158 trading cards?’ I thought that this would be the opportunity of a lifetime, and it proved without a doubt to be one of the top highlights of our careers. I had a blast painting so many heroes and villains in Marvel’s library of characters. Painting these still brings out the kid in me,” says Hildebrandt. “This book is the most comprehensive collection of our Marvel art, and I’m so happy to be able to have it available all in one beautifully produced book for fans to enjoy.”

“The word ‘legendary’ is bandied about a lot when describing the subjects of art books,” says editor Scott Dunbier, “but when it comes to the work of The Brothers Hildebrandt, it’s almost impossible to describe them any other way. Their careers, together and separately, prove them to be masters of their craft. As a lifelong fan, I can’t wait to hold this in my hands.”

The Marvel Art of the Brothers Hildebrandt is available for preorder via booksellers and comic book specialty retailers. Visit www.comicshoplocator.com to find a store near you.

The Michael Moorcock Library: Elric the Eternal Champion Vol 1 HC

Written by Michael Moorcock

Illustrated by Phillippe Druillet

Adapted and illustrated by James Cawthorne

Titan Comics, 56pp, $19.99, £17.99

Seminal sword-and-sorcery author Michael Moorcock weaves stunning blend of magic, heroism, and wonder as his legendary Eternal Champion Elric features in two rarely seen adventures, featuring artwork from legendary French artist Phillippe Druillet.

Based on Michael Moorcock's beloved original stories,  through the brilliant artistry of James Cawthorne this book revisits and reimagines his iconic hero, Elric of Melnibone, nearly fifty years after his inception. Elric has been continuously in print since the 1970's, and has been a staple character in pop culture, having appeared in comics, album covers, song lyrics, and even role-playing games. Essential reading for all fans of the novels and those wishing to dip their toes into Moorcock's vivid fantasy world.

I'm pretty sure that I have all the Michael Moorcock adaptations in floppy form, and yet I keep getting these "Library" collections. Once a sucker, always a sucker, I guess.

Nubia: Real One GN

Art/Cover: Robyn Smith

Writer: L.L. McKinney

DC / $16.99

Can you be a hero ... if society doesn't see you as a person?

This February, fan-favorite young adult (YA) author L. L. McKinney (A Blade So Black trilogy) and artist Robyn Smith will put a fresh, contemporary twist on Nubia — the twin sister of Wonder Woman — bringing their authentic voices to the character in Nubia: Real One.

The original YA graphic novel is an endearing tale filled with heart and wit and follows a teenage Nubia as she learns to embrace her true self in a world filled with racial inequality, police brutality, school violence, and other timely issues affecting young people today. The book is a perfect read for teens ages 13+ and hits stores and online retailers on February 23, 2021.

Nubia has always been a little bit … different. As a baby she showcased Amazonian strength by pushing over a tree to rescue her neighbor’s cat. But despite Nubia’s similar abilities, the world has no problem telling her that she’s no Wonder Woman. And even if she were, they wouldn’t want her. Every time she comes to the rescue, she’s reminded of how people see her: as a threat. Her moms do their best to keep her safe, but Nubia can’t deny the fire within her, even if she’s a little awkward about it sometimes. Even if it means people assume the worst. When Nubia’s best friend, Quisha, is threatened by a boy who thinks he owns the town, Nubia will risk it all — her safety, her home, and her crush on that cute kid in English class — to become the hero society tells her she isn’t.

From the witty and powerful voice behind A Blade So Black, L. L. McKinney, and with endearing and expressive art by Robyn Smith, comes a vital story for today about equality, identity, and kicking it with your squad.

Planning on reading this, but already worried about the art. Not my cup of tea.

Post York OGN

The Dark Horse Comics imprint founded by Karen Berger, Berger Books, welcomes its latest graphic novel — Post York, an innovative expansion of the acclaimed one-shot by James Romberger (7 Miles a Second, The Late Child and Other Animals).

The polar ice caps have melted, and New York City is flooded beyond recognition. Amidst the ruin, an independent loner along with his cat and only friend, navigates the submerged city as he tries to live another day. But everything changes when he encounters both a mysterious woman and a trapped blue whale. Will they be each other's salvation ... or destruction?

Their paths intertwine surprisingly, daringly, dangerously with others from this makeshift community — from outsiders like himself to the depraved and ruthless elite; all struggling to maintain a sense of normalcy in a city drowned in its past.

“When James told me he was expanding POST YORK into a graphic novel, I leapt at the chance to publish this singular and riveting story of daily survival in a not-so-far-fetched NYC,” said Karen Berger. “It couldn’t be more timely nor terrifying."

“Post York's hero is my son Crosby and the story is my apology to him for the mess my generation has left the planet in” Romberger added “The book is created in an experimental way; it is improvised directly onto the art boards without script or preliminary layouts. The alternative endings came about this way, as did certain narrative twists that grew from my conversations with Crosby, and from his rap song.”

Write It in Blood

Rory McConville (Judge Dredd), Joe Palmer (2000 AD) and Chris O’Halloran (Ice Cream Man) will team up this February for an original graphic novel out from Image Comics. This new tragicomic crime tale will explore family loyalty and broken dreams.

“I’m thrilled to have been a part of making this book happen,” said Palmer. “Rory’s a great writer and has crafted a really tight crime thriller. The fact that Image comics is publishing it is a dream come true! If you’re into Coen brothers’ movies and crime stories with a streak of humour you’ll love this.”

On the eve of their retirement, two hitmen — Cosmo and Arthur Pryce — drive through the Texas countryside with the infamous Little Harkness in the trunk of their car. The brothers are meant to deliver Harkness to their boss, but matters become complicated when Arthur’s recklessness jeopardises Cosmo’s retirement plans and puts a target on their backs.

McConville added: “Collaborating with Joe, Chris and Hass on Write It In Blood has been an incredible experience. They're all doing career-best work and I hope people enjoy reading the book as much as we did making it.”

See "This Week in Comics: Feb 28, 2021, Part II" for more.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• NAMOR: I really liked John Byrne's Namor, but I've liked little of what Marvel has done with the character in the past 20 years. As you and I discussed once before, Cap, there is potentially a group of fans who know the sub-Mariner as nothing but a villain. Talk about not being able to bring oneself to read a series, for me it's this one (and the latest iteration of "Atlantis attacks). That was really tough decision for me to make because I really love the character. I didn't even know this series was set during Namor's youth, but it's a moot point because I am just as turned off by this "event" as you are. I would not expect this series to be anything like the Everett version. Remember the Bill Jemas version from the early 2Ks?

ULIK: Funny what you say about Ulik. I will soon post something quite similar as soon as I get back to my "Post-Kirby Thor" discussion.

• I'm sure Gary Frank's variant cover to Generations Forged #1 is a homage, but I can't name the original.

Re. the Elric volume, I believe the first three images are Druillet's, and the others Cawthorne's. There's an account of Cawthorne's career here.

This reply was deleted.