Captain's Note: It's a new year, so let's try something new with this feature. Y'all let me know if you like this approach.

GENRE TV OF NOTE

The Expanse, "Tribes" (Amazon Prime, Jan. 6)

Star Trek: Discovery, season 3 finale, "Outside" (CBS All Access, Jan. 7)

The Stand, "The House of the Dead" (CBS All Access, Jan. 7)

I wanted to watch this, but the wife vetoed it. Evidently she's had enough of pandemics for a while.

Teen Titans Go!, 300th episode, "Justice League's Next Top Talent Idol Star: Dance Crew Edition" (Cartoon Network, Jan. 8)

Featuring World-Famous Dance Crew, The Jabbawockeez

Start the New Year off with a bang as Cartoon Network celebrates the monumental 300th episode of Teen Titans Go! with the premiere of "Justice League's Next Top Talent Idol Star: Dance Crew Edition" Friday, Jan. 8 at 6:00 p.m. ET/PT.  It's time for another Justice League talent competition! This time, the top dance crews from across the DC universe will battle on stage with their super-powered moves. Left without a crew, Robin uses Raven’s spellbook to conjure up a dance crew powerful enough to help him take out the competition. Featuring a special appearance from world-famous dance crew, The Jabbawockeez, the stage is set for one of the Titans’ most epic showdowns.

Leading up to the premiere, catch up on Teen Titans Go! all week beginning Monday, Jan. 4 through Thursday, Jan. 7 from 6-8 p.m. ET/PT.

A Discovery of Witches, season 2 premiere, "Episode 2.1" (BBC America, Jan. 9)

American Gods, season 3 premiere, “A Winter’sTale” (Starz, Jan. 10)

The Watch (BBC America, Jan. 10)

GENRE MOVIES OF NOTE

Zombie Bro (NR, comedy/horror, limited theaters, Jan. 8)

Francine is a normal ten-year-old girl living with a not-so-normal family. Teddie, her older brother, is a zombie. When Francine catches her brother, biting someone, she doesn’t know what to do. But when people all around Francine start turning into zombies, desperate times call for desperate measures, and the family tries to stop the apocalypse armed with her father’s impressive blowgun collection and not-so-impressive policeman’s expertise, they must work together to save the town!

DIGITAL COMICS OF NOTE

Sensational Wonder Woman #1 (DC Comics, Jan. 6)

A combination of fan-favorite storytellers and trailblazing new writers and artists are coming together to celebrate Wonder Woman’s 80th anniversary with an all-new DC Digital First series, Sensational Wonder Woman. Published weekly, this reader-friendly, high action series is poised to deliver dynamic, standalone stories that are free of continuity, giving hardcore fans even more Wonder Woman action to love and new fans a fun starting point to enjoy stories and provide a gateway to discovering more about Princess Diana.

For the first digital arc, newly announced Harley Quinn writer Stephanie Phillips, Wonder Woman: Agent of Peace artist Meghan Hetrick and colorist Marissa Louise pit Diana against the evil Doctor Psycho. During a battle with the villain, Wonder Woman sacrifices herself to stop him, the impact from his psychic blast trapping her in an alternate reality. With the help of guest star Hawkgirl, Diana must remember who she is before it’s too late.

Future digital/print arcs will spotlight Diana teaming up with other allies from the Wonder Woman mythos, such as Cheetah, Steve Trevor, Hippolyta, Wonder Girl and others. The stories come from a host of talented creators, including writer/artist Colleen Doran, Alyssa Wong and Eleonora Carlini, Mirka Andolfo, Corinna Bechko, with more to come.

Sensational Wonder Woman #1 by Stephanie Phillips and Meghan Hetrick arrives on all participating digital platforms on Wednesday, January 6, 2021, with a main cover by Yasmine Putri. The print version arrives in comic book stores on Tuesday, March 2, 2021, and will also include a variant cover by EJIKURE.

Truth & Justice #1 (DC Comics, Jan. 8)

This January, the ideals of truth and justice — concepts synonymous with DC’s superheroes from the Golden Age of Comics to the present day — are the foundation for a new anthology comic book series, Truth & Justice. This series continues in the tradition of popular DC titles such as Adventures of Superman, Sensation Comics and Legends of the Dark Knight, exploring the length and breadth of DC’s rich character history. In addition, the series will serve as a platform for new, emerging storytellers to reveal their takes on popular DC characters.

Truth & Justice debuts digitally on Jan. 8, 2021, with the first of three 99-cent weekly stories, which will be collected as a 40-page print issue available Feb. 16, 2021. Vixen makes her Truth & Justice entrance in a story written by Geoffrey Thorne (Future State: Green Lantern, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Marvel’s Avengers: Black Panthers Quest), with art by Chris Cross and Jordi Tarragona.

Mari McCabe is many things: superhero, model, activist; but can she add god-killer to the list? Vixen teams up with Dr. Mist and Impala of the Global Guardians to face down an ancient deity that’s taken over the body of a scientist investigating powerful magical artifacts. Vixen will need to dig deep and use all the abilities in the animal kingdom to face down this powerful primeval threat!

Subsequent installments of Truth & Justice will showcase the heart and spirit of the wide-ranging characters featured across DC’s Multiverse. With an endless array of characters to choose from — heroes, villains, aliens, animals — you name it, we have it!

I'm really interested in this approach. It mirrors something I've been thinking about: Instead of pitting online sales and brick-and-mortars against each other, how about posting a bunch of new comics featuring B-list characters online that cost less than print, and only those that sell well get promoted to a print version, that is technically "canon." Both markets are served, more material sees the light of day and the industry gets stronger revenue streams. See what I have to say about Future State: The Next Batman below for more.

CROSSOVERS/EVENTS

Dark Nights: Death Metal (DC Comics)

Dark Nights: Death Metal #7 (of 7)

Written by Scott Snyder

Art by Greg Capullo, Jonathan Glapion and Others

Cover by Greg Capullo and Jonathan Glapion

The Batman Who Laughs variant cover by David Finch

The Batman Who Laughs variant cover by Stanley “Artgerm” Lau

The Batman Who Laughs variant cover by Jae Lee

1:25 variant cover by Doug Manhke

1:100 Black & White variant by Greg Capullo and Jonathan Glapion

$5.99 Us | 48 Pages | 7 of 7 | Fc

Card Stock Covers

The song remains anything but the same as the house lights start to come up on DC’s biggest, baddest battle for control of the Multiverse! The Darkest Knight is on the verge of ending this concert once and for all, but Wonder Woman has more than just a greatest hit planned. The Amazonian warrior stands ready to shred the Darkest Knight, solo! Plus, this extra-sized finale issue includes not one but two mind-blowing epilogues that lead directly into the next phase of the DC Universe — and no fan will want to miss that!

This is the Dark Nights finale, which has been a long time coming — more than seven months, anyway. And it was supposed to kick off "5G," the radical re-imagining of DC's characters planned by former co-publisher Dan DiDio. Instead, it's kicking off "Future State," which is what 5G has been reduced to: two months of a radical re-imagining of DC's characters.

Future State (DC Comics)

I've put these on my pull list, because some of the material here will outlast Future State, like the Tara Flor Wonder Woman (who is getting her own TV show). I know some of it will be crap, but I hope the preponderance is good. If not, I have wasted some money. Again.

Welcome to DC Future State, a two-month extravaganza that reveals what lies in store for the World’s Greatest Heroes! Spinning out of the finale of Dark Nights: Death Metal #7 (on sale January 5), DC Future State will take you on a journey from the near future to the end of time to witness the destinies of heroes like Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, the Justice League, the Teen Titans, and so many more.

Future State: The Flash #1 (of 2)

Written by Brandon Vietti

Art by Dale Eaglesham

Cover by Brandon Peterson

Card stock variant cover by Kaare Andrews ($4.99)

$3.99 US | 32 Pages | 1 of 2 | FC

With no powers, no backup and no other choice, Barry Allen and the other former Flashes face the deadliest threat they’ve ever encountered — Wally West. Possessed by an evil force trapped for thousands of years inside the Speed Force, Barry turns to his greatest foes’ weapons to save the young man he loves like a son. In the end, how much will Barry sacrifice to save the former Kid Flash?

Wait, Wally West is going crazy? Again? Some higher-up at WarnerMedia must really hate Wally, because he's become a punching bag. I'm not even a Wally-booster (I'm an old Silver Ager, so Barry's my guy), but enough's enough.

Future State: Harley Quinn #1 (of 2)

Written by Stephanie Phillips

Art by Simone Di Meo

Cover by Derrick Chew

Card stock variant cover by Gary Frank ($4.99)

In a bold move that rocks Gotham City, the Magistrate has imprisoned Harley Quinn! The villain once known as the Scarecrow, now a pawn of the Magistrate, taps into Harley’s knowledge of Gotham’s villains and the Black Mask Gang for his own dark purposes. Crane and his bosses think they have Harley Quinn defeated and her spirit broken, but they are sorely mistaken—and Harley will have her revenge. Written by rising star writer Stephanie Phillips and drawn by fan-favorite artist Simone Di Meo, the next era of Harley Quinn begins here!

Future State: Superman of Metropolis #1 (of 2)

“Superman of Metropolis” written by Sean Lewis, art by John Timms

“The Guardian” written by Sean Lewis, art by Cully Hamner

“Mister Miracle” written by Brandon Easton, art by Valentine De Landro

Cover by John Timms

Card stock variant cover by Inhyuk Lee ($6.99)

Team variant by somebody

Card stock blank variant cover

$5.99 US | 48 Pages | 1 of 2 | FC

Before leaving for parts unknown, Clark Kent entrusted Earth’s safety to his son. Now, Jonathan Kent is Superman! Top priority for this new Superman: to protect Metropolis. When a new version of Brainiac attacks, Jon takes drastic measures — which result in the Bottle City of Metropolis! But watch out, Jon, because Supergirl is on her way, and she is not happy with your decision.

The Guardian

Meanwhile, in the new bottle city, a new hero has risen. Jake Jordan, the former Manhattan Guardian, came to the City of Tomorrow to start over. But he’s not the only one who wants a new beginning. An anarchist calling herself Honest Mary sees this time of trouble as an opportunity for rebirth—and she’ll tear down the entire city to prove her point. Does Jake have what it takes to save his new home from disasters both inside and out of the bottle? Superman’s former pal Jimmy Olsen is going to make sure he does!

Mister Miracle

Finally, the current Mister Miracle, Shilo Norman, is also in the bottle, and he’s looking for a way out! He’d better be careful, though, or he may end up someplace unexpected. It’s a story that continues in Superman: Worlds of War #1!

I don't know why these backups have such crappy previews. Presumably they have to be ready at the same time as the main features. Alas, this all DC provided.

Future State: The Next Batman #1 (of 4)

“The Next Batman” written by John Ridley, art by Nick Derington

“Outsiders” written by Brandon Thomas, art by Sumit Kumar

“Arkham Knights” written by Paul Jenkins, art by Jackson Herbert

Cover by Ladrönn

Card stock variant cover by Jim Lee and Scott Williams ($8.99)

$7.99 US | 64 Pages | 1 of 4 | FC

Gotham City has always been dangerous — but now, it’s downright deadly! Following the tragedy of “A-Day,” the mayor allowed the private law enforcement group known as the Magistrate to take over policing so-called mask crime — and that has given rise to a new Dark Knight! What is this mysterious crime fighter’s connection to former Batman weaponeer Lucius Fox? The fight for justice has never been this dangerous!

Then, in an new tale of the Outsiders, everything in Gotham City may be under the thumb of the Magistrate — but even members of that totalitarian force know that the outskirts of town are protected by the sword of Katana!

Plus, ride with the Arkham Knights on their quest for freedom. Arkham Asylum has been decommissioned, and the Magistrate rules the land with an iron fist and zero tolerance. Now it’s time for the lunatics to take back their town! Follow Croc, Two-Face, Phosphorus, Zsasz, Clayface, and Astrid Arkham as the Arkham Knights raise holy hell on the occupiers of Gotham! 

Yes, Next Batman seems to be virtually identical to Current Batman. But he's Black. So it's completely different!

Also, I'm delighted to see the return of the 64-page anthology. I fondly remember Dollar Comics in the '70s, with all the back-up strips and Golden Age reprints. I loved Action Comics Weekly. I thrilled to Tower's double-sized T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents, DC's 80-Page Giants and everybody's annuals. Yes, they cost more, but I prefer comics that take me longer than 10 minutes to read.

Further, the new, streamlined DC won't have any B-list characters headlining comics, so the only way their stories can continue is as backups. If that's the only way I can see Hawkman and Martian Manhunter adventures, I'll take it. And, as I say above, these B-list stories could debut as digital — as long as the comic shops had a monopoly on A-list characters, where they make most of their money, they wouldn't complain. (I do think digital ought to wait at least a week on your Batmans and Spider-Mans, to give the comic shops first crack.)

The March solicitations show that DC is planning to continue the 64-pagers after Future State is over, so they're giving it a fair try. I've got my fingers crossed.

Future State: Swamp Thing #1 (of 2)

Written by RAM V

Art by Mike Perkins

Cover by Mike Perkins

Card stock variant cover by Dima Ivanov ($4.99)

Welcome to DC Future State, a two-month extravaganza that reveals what lays in store for the World’s Greatest Heroes! Spinning out of the finale of Dark Nights: Death Metal #7 (on sale January 5), DC Future State will take you on a journey from the near future to the end of time to witness the destinies of heroes like Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, the Justice League, the Teen Titans, and so many more.

In FUTURE STATE: SWAMP THING #1, from the ashes of a terrible war, life blooms anew in Swamp Thing's image. The remnants of humanity lie in hiding, forever in the shadow of the green god who now rules the planet. When the new avatar of the Green uncovers a stray human, a rebellion is revealed! But this Swamp Thing is no stranger to violent ends, and neither are his creations. If it's war humanity wants, it will be at their doorstep — and Swamp Thing will never be the same!

FUTURE STATE: SWAMP THING #1 (of 2), “Obsidian Sun,” written by Ram V. with art and cover by Mike Perkins and a card stock variant cover by Dima Ivanov, hits shelves January 5.

Evidently, what happens here is going to be important somehow when Swamp Thing returns with  the same creators in a 12-issue maxiseries starting in March. I can't imagine how, since this story happens later than the maxiseries (being at the end of time and all), but that's what DC says.

Future State: Wonder Woman #1 (of 2)

Writer/Art: Joëlle Jones

Cover by Joëlle Jones

Card stock variant cover by Jenny Frison ($4.99)

Covers by both Joëlle Jones and Jenny Frison? If they threw in Nicola Scott, they'd hit the trifecta of my favorite female artists.

Team variant by Matt Taylor

Deep in the heart of the Amazon rainforest lies a hero of mythic legend ... Wonder Woman! But in the absence of Diana, Yara Flor has risen out of obscurity to protect Man’s World from the magic that lies within it. Along with her trusty steed, she journeys to the Underworld to rescue one of her Themysciran sisters from the grasp of Hades. Will she unleash the wrath of this god in the process? You won’t want to miss this first appearance of a character who will change the history of Wonder Woman forever!

King in Black (Marvel)

I won't be reading these, because I have absolutely loathed Venom since his inception, and I don't care how much lipstick they put on that pig, I won't like him. So you're on your own on this one. (I am pleased with the return of the Valkyries, though, even if it's only four of them. What's a Norse mythology without Valkyries?)

Guardians of the Galaxy #10

Written by Al Ewing

Art by Juann Cabal

Cover by Rafael Albuquerque

THE GUARDIANS CLEANSED?!

• KNULL and his dragons are cleansing entire worlds of life. SPARTAX is their next target — and the GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY can’t save it alone.
  • It’s a good day for the return of the legendary STAR-LORD ...
  • Meanwhile, as the team battle cosmic horror, something worse is waiting — as the clock ticks down to the Last Stand in ...
  • THREE ...

King in Black: Return of the Valkyries #1

The main cover by Mattia De Iulis depicts the four Valkyries.

This variant by Phil Noto depicts the mysterious fourth Valkyrie.

This variant Cover by Artgerm depicts the Valkyrie Hildegarde.

Variant by Mattia De Iulis

Hidden Gem variant cover

Todd Nauck headshot variant

Variant by Skottie Young

Written by Jason Aaron & Torunn Grønbekk

Art by Nina Vakueva

The Valkyries, some of the finest warriors in the Marvel Universe, will rise again this January in KING IN BLACK: RETURN OF THE VALKYRIES.

Written by Jason Aaron and Torunn Grønbekk with art by Nina Vakueva, this brand-new series will star Jane Foster, Dani Moonstar, Hildegarde, and a brand-new Valkyrie with a startling origin. This band of Asgardian legends will reunite to take down Knull as his unrelenting darkness threatens to overtake the Nine Realms.

As Knull’s conquest spreads throughout the galaxy, the Valkyries will be locked in a battle only they can hope to overcome. What is the secret weapon the mysterious new Valkyrie holds and more importantly, will it be enough to turn the tide? Find out on January 6th but in the meantime, see the Valkyrie come to the aid of the Marvel Universe like never before in the KING IN BLACK: RETURN OF THE VALKYRIES trailer, featuring never-before-seen art!

“The Valkyries — these powerful women who navigate both the spaces of the living and the dead — are inherently interesting to me,” says co-writer Torunn Grønbekk.  “The role demands a perspective on life and battle that is quite unique; they see the whole picture, always, and when you combine that with the great humanity you find in characters like Jane Foster and Dani Moonstar, you get something really special. It takes courage to see the world through the eyes of a Valkyrie (especially when that world is under attack by Knull!), and that makes for complex and exciting stories of the kind I want to tell.”

Once there was an entire army of Valkyries, but now Jane Foster is the only one. When the King in Black comes to Midgard, Jane must rebuild the Valkyries to help stop him — starting with Hildegarde, a warrior from Asgard’s own hallowed halls, and X-Man Dani Moonstar, a former Valkyrie herself. But what Jane doesn’t know … is that she never was the only Valkyrie after all.

"To match the epic, dark, horrific madness that is King in Black, we're bringing the Valkyries into uncharted territory, leading up to a battle only they can fight. This is going to be a spectacular adventure, one I can't wait for you all to read," Grønbekk told ComicBook.com. "I'm also tremendously excited to work with Nina on this book. The script is filled with weird and terrifying stuff, and she's taking it in strides — her work is mindblowing!"

Who is the fourth warrior? Jason Aaron and Torunn Grønbekk team up with artist Nina Vakueva for a story that will rock the foundations of the Marvel Universe!Fans can see this mysterious new character in all her glory on Phil Noto’s gorgeous variant cover for the debut issue.

“When [editor] Wil Moss asked me to create a new design for a Valkyrie, I didn't believe him!” De Iulis said. “I'm so excited about this because it is my first experience in this field and I'm really honored to work on this amazing and powerful character!”

Emerging just as Knull’s takeover begins, this new Valkyrie’s past holds dark secrets that will change everything you thought you knew about this group of Asgardians and reveal what their future in the Marvel Universe holds. Check out Phil Noto’s cover, Mattia De Iulis’ character designs, and be there when this all-new Marvel hero joins the fight against Knull this January in KING IN BLACK: RETURN OF THE VALKYRIES #1.

Spider-Woman #8

Writer: Karla Pacheco

Art: Pere Perez

Cover: Jung-Geun Yoon

Variant by Dave Johnson

Marvel vs. Alien variant by Javi Garron

Rated T+ / $3.99

SPIDER-WOMAN BREAKS BAD!

• As the cure comes in sight, SPIDER-WOMAN puts it all on the line ... then she crosses it.
  • With friends like OCTAVIA VERMIS, who needs enemies? Not Jessica Drew, but it looks like she's getting them anyway.
  • Even if Spider-Woman can find the cure, what will there be left to save?

Venom #32

Writer: Donny Cates

Art/Cover Iban Coello

Variant by Ryan Stegman

Marvel vs. Alien variant by Ryan Brown

Rated T+ / $3.99

KING IN BLACK ARRIVES!

EDDIE BROCK is about to face the biggest challenge of his life ... but he's not alone.

FIRST ISSUES OF NOTE

Eternals #1 (Marvel Comics)

Writer: Kieron Gillen

Art: Esad Ribic

Cover by Mahmud Asrar

Variant by Mahmud Asrar

Russell Dauterman depicts former Avenger Sersi through the ages.

Rian Gonzales’ depicts a battle between Marvel’s greatest tricksters.

Variant by Humberto Ramos

Todd Nauck headshot variant

Behold this rising Marvel star in all her glory on Frank Cho’s mesmerizing cover. One of the most prominent Eternals characters, Thena was once thought to be the goddess Athena herself and is set to play a major role in Gillen and Ribić’s upcoming run.

Phastos and Thor smash their way to glory on Art Adams' explosive cover.

Ikaris soars to new heights with Captain Marvel on Jenny Frison’s cover.

Lightning strikes on Khary Randolph’s cover featuring Storm and Sersi.

It’s clobberin’ time with the Thing and Thena on Greg Land’s cover.

The Eternals battle their way through an army of Deviants on John Romita Jr.’s epic Hidden Gem cover.

Variant by Alex Ross

Variant by Jen Bartel

Variant by Bosslogic

Variant by Dave Johnson

Variant by Esad RibicVariant by Michael Del Mundo

Variant by In-Hyuk Lee

Variant by J. Scott Campbell

Variant by Jeff Johnson

Kirby crackle variant

Jack Kirby reprint variant

Variant by Peach Momoko

Variant by Takashi Okazaki

Variant by Dan Panosian

Variant by Brian Pelletier

Variant by Joe Quesada

Variant by Esad Ribic

Variant by Ron Lim

Variant by Otto Schmidt

Variant by Walt Simonson

Variant by Superlog

Variant by Skottie Young

Variant by Leinil Francis Yu

NEVER DIE. NEVER WIN. ETERNALS #1

Mastermind creators Kieron Gillen (The Wicked + The Divine, Uncanny X-Men, Thor) and Esad Ribić (Secret Wars, King Thor) join forces this January to redefine one of Marvel’s most fascinating mythologies in ETERNALS #1. Readers will experience Jack Kirby’s classic creation in an epic saga that will enthrall both longtime fans of the Eternals and those experiencing these enigmatic heroes for the first time. The groundbreaking new series will reintroduce classic Eternals characters for a new age, reveal new members of the legendary group, and feature the return of one of Marvel’s most feared villains, the Mad Titan himself, Thanos.

“The joy of Eternals for me is it's just so much, but it's also such a clean, accessible book in terms of, 'These are people who we're going to hang around with, they're fun to be with, and oh my god! They're in trouble,’" Gillen told Comic Book Resources. “It does everything I love a Marvel book doing in terms of action, romance, and philosophy of ideas, but it's also absolutely me coming back to Marvel with the kinds of skills I've honed over in indie books like Die, The Wicked & the Divine and Once and Future; that way of thinking about how to make a universe really pop.”

Whether you are a longtime fan of the Eternals or experiencing these enigmatic heroes and demons for the first time, be prepared for an unpredictable heroic journey that will change everything you thought you knew.

"I said if I was ever to do a book again at Marvel, it would have to be something I've never done before. This is exactly that. This is me teaming up with literally my favourite artist of the epic, taking one of those lightning-storm Kirby visions and re-making it to be as new as the day it was forged,” Gillen said. “While Esad makes whole worlds on the page, I'm applying all the skills I've developed when I was away. It's a lot. It's everything. There's enough scale packed in here that I believe that when you look at the comic, you'll see the pages slightly bulge. Essentially "Eternal" has to mean "never going out of style" which means we're aiming for "Instant classic." Also - fight scenes, horror, human drama, emotions, explosions. Comics!"

That's a lot of covers! Impressive, but what's important is what's in between the covers. I've never thought of Eternals as one of Kirby's better ideas. It's another hidden civilization of super-powered people, like the Inhumans, only with the Green Lantern Corps problem: They all have identical powers. They don't even have original names, most of which are corruptions from Greco-Roman mythology.

Now, if they actually were Marvel's Greco-Roman gods, that would be interesting. Especially if it implied that all of Earth's pantheons are different kinds of beings, instead of all of them being "gods."

Well, maybe the new kids can pique my interest. They do seem to have realized that Thena is a more interesting lead than Ikaris. (Heh. Almost anybody would be.)

Generations Shattered #1 one-shot

Written by Dan Jurgens, Andy Schmidt and Robert Venditti

Art by Ivan Reis, Bryan Hitch, Kevin Nowlan, Aaron Lopresti, Fernando Pasarin, Paul Pelletier and others

Cover by Ivan Reis and Joe Prado

Card stock variant cover by Lee Bermejo

Prestige Format  | $9.99 US | 80 PAGES | FC | DC

A threat of cosmic proportion to DC’s newest (and oldest) universe compels one of the most unusual groups of heroes ever assembled to take on the most mysterious foe they have ever encountered. What started in Detective Comics #1027 explodes out of Dark Nights: Death Metal to tell the story of the generations-spanning history of the DC Universe! Join the original Batman, Kamandi, Starfire, Sinestro, Booster Gold, Dr. Light, Steel, and Sinestro in their quest to save the universe before time runs out …

I think this is connected to Future State, in that it will split DC's history and characters into four generations preceding the 5G ones. That was the original plan from what I read eons ago, but it might have changed.

Last Witch #1 (BOOM! Studios)

BOOM! Studios reveals a first look at THE LAST WITCH #1, the premiere issue of a brand new original series from writer Conor McCreery (Kill Shakespeare), artist V.V. Glass, colorist Natalia Nesterenko, and letterer Jim Campbell, a young adult fantasy comic book series that shows that the greatest magic of all lies inside of us, available in January 2021.

On the day of an annual festival, young Saoirse’s father and entire village are destroyed by the vengeful Cailleach. Now, on the run with her mysterious Nan and her younger brother Brahm, Saoirse discovers that the blue-black birthmark across her shoulder that has always made her an object of teasing is actually a powerful witchmark, which allows her to resist dark magick … and take it for herself.

Nan must teach Saoirse to control her powers so that she can combat the dreaded Cailleach and her devious handmaidens, before they can release the terrifying Eater of Worlds from the faerie lands — and destroy all living things!

THE LAST WITCH is the latest release from BOOM! Studios’ award-winning BOOM! Box imprint, home to groundbreaking original series such as Lumberjanes by Shannon Watters, Grace Ellis, Brooklyn Allen, and Noelle Stevenson; Giant Days by John Allison, Lissa Treiman, and Max Sarin; Juliet Takes a Breath by Gabby Rivera and Celia Moscote; The Avant-Guards by Carly Usdin and Noah Hayes; Fence by C.S. Pacat and Johanna the Mad; Goldie Vance by Hope Larson and Brittney Williams; and Seen: True Stories of Marginalized Trailblazers.

Not my cup of tea, but maybe it's yours.

Scout’s Honor #1

Writer: David Pepose

Art: Luca Casalanguida

Cover A: Andy Clarke w/ Jose Villarrubia

Cover B: Brent Schoonover

Aftershock Comics

Years after a nuclear apocalypse, a new society has risen from the ashes…and their bible is an old Ranger Scout manual.

A young Ranger Scout named Kit has endured the harsh survivalist upbringing needed to conquer the irradiated Colorado Badlands. But after discovering a terrible secret once lost to history, Kit must risk everything on a dangerous quest to uncover the truth behind the Ranger Scouts’ doctrine.

From multiple Ringo Award-nominated writer David Pepose (Spencer & Locke, Going to the Chapel, The O.Z.) and artist Luca Casalanguida (James Bond, Lost Soldiers) comes a post-apocalyptic coming-of-age tale that proves when all you know is a lie, a Scout’s Honor is the only way to move forward.

Sengi And Tembo #1

Created, Written and Illustrated by Guiseppe Falco

Scout Comics

Dramatic life changes force a mouse and an elephant, both inhabitants of the African savannah, to rethink how they have understood their worlds, causing them to form an unusual bond of friendship.

The Story …

The African savannah, a windswept expanse of tall grass, a few all-too-rare trees, overwhelming heat... and more than a few hungry predators.

Sengi, the little mouse, finds himself alone after the death of his mother and must learn to survive. Tembo, the old elephant, feels that his life is coming to an end. So he decides to leave his herd to try to reach the “Land without beginning,” a mythical place accessible by a secret passage to the west. 

For a few days, these two disparate lives, that of the pragmatic mouse and the even-tempered elephant, will collide and join paths. Their futures will be changed forever

From Creator/Artist Guiseppe Falco:

Entrusting a creation to a Publisher always creates a little fear and tension in me. How will they treat it? Will they take care of it? How will they present it to the world?  When Scout Comics decided to be the Publisher of Sengi and Tembo, I was very happy about and I was certain that they would take great care of it.

Sengi and Tembo tells my point of view on life. An important theme dressed, though, with fun outfits. I hope that the final result, thanks to the work of all of us, will also appeal to you readers

The Wrong Earth: Night and Day #1

Writer: Tom Peyer

Art: Jamal Igle / Juan Castro

Cover: Jamal Igle

Ahoy Comics / $3.99

The vengeance-dealing Dragonfly sticks it to the man! The acrobatic sleuth Dragonflyman assists the police! These alternate-earth versions of the same masked crimefighter meet face-to-face for the first time in this new series by the original creators of the smash-hit The Wrong Earth! Will their impossible encounter result in a team-up ... or an all-out war?

Every AHOY title also features extra bonus prose stories, beautifully illustrated.

Wednesday January 6 is the publication date for THE WRONG EARTH: NIGHT AND DAY #1, the first issue in the follow-up series to AHOY's very first smash hit THE WRONG EARTH by writer Tom Peyer and artist Jamal Igle. (If you didn't catch the first season, it's about two versions of the same superhero who get trapped on each other's earths: the grim and violent Dragonfly & the upbeat, morally-upstanding Dragonflyman.)

WRONG EARTH received a ton of praise from heavy-hitters when the first season debuted:

“I just want you to know that I’ve loved Tom Peyer’s genius brain for thirty years and THE WRONG EARTH is just pure, undiluted Tom Peyer as it exists in its most natural form. If you love superheroes, you NEED this. If you HATE superheroes, this will change your mind.” ― Mark Millar

“THE WRONG EARTH is far more than a one-note gag — Tom and Jamal have made a surprisingly deep exploration and commentary on where this medium has been, how it got to where it is, and where it can go.” ― Mark Waid

“A fun and funny mash of silver age goofiness and grim & gritty superheroics. Such a fun idea and well done.” — John Layman

“I knew this was going to be good when I saw Peyer and Igle on the credits, but now I really want to see how it all plays out.” ― Jeff Parker

The new season finds gritty Dragonfly and his cartoonish doppelganger Dragonflyman meeting face to face for the first time on a third and entirely new wrong earth. The solicit copy is below, and I've included a link to a review copy as well as preview pages ready for publication showing how both superheroes have gotten accustomed to life on their doppelganger's planet — as well as a potential glimmer of hope for escape.

Everybody seemed to like The Wrong Earth. Well, here's the sequel.

GRAPHIC NOVELS OF NOTE

The Eternals by Jack Kirby Monster-Size HC

Writer/Art/Cover:  Jack Kirby

Rated T /  $125.00

Experience the Eternals like never before in this super-sized edition! The limitless imagination of Jack "King" Kirby unleashed countless creations into the world of comics. Captain America. The Fantastic Four. The Avengers. The X-Men. Each timeless creation was imbued with Kirby's inescapable graphic power, his boundless capacity for capturing the human condition and his eternal search for meaning in the cosmos. And Kirby's The Eternals revealed an entire new realm of heroes! Once worshipped as gods, this fantastic group left Earth to explore the stars after warring with the Greek, Roman and Norse pantheons for supremacy over humankind. But the Eternals are just one part of a cosmic mythology. Their opposites - the Deviants - also secretly populate Earth. And the towering cosmic entities that created both - the Celestials - are fated to return and judge us all! Collecting ETERNALS (1976) #1-19 and ANNUAL #1.

I've seen some enthusiasm for this among the Legionnaires, and good on ya. As I remark elsewhere, I don't think this was one of Kirby's best efforts. Not only was it derivative, but the inspiration was nonsense from Erich von Däniken, like Chariot of the Gods. So instead of this I got the Omnibus, which contains not only this material, but later Eternals stuff as well, by writers such as Neil Gaiman, some of which I didn't buy in individual issues. To each his own, says I.

Graphic Classics GN Vol 1: Edgar Allan Poe’s Tales of Terror

Writer: Edgar Allan Poe

Art: Various

Cover: Craig Wilson

Graphic Classics / $19.95

The revised fifth edition of Graphic Classics: Edgar Allan Poe is now in full color, with 27 new pages! Twelve classic stories and poems by Edgar Allan Poe interpreted in comics and illustrated stories by today's artists that include Gahan Wilson, Spain Rodriguez, Rick Geary, Richard Sala, Maxon Crumb, and others. Plus a bonus sequel to a Poe classic by Clive Barker. Illustrated by Mark Nelson. Introduction by Joe R. Lansdale.

I got all these Graphic Classics collections when they were first offered years ago in B&W. As anthologies featuring different creative teams on each story, they were the usual hit and miss in terms of my enjoyment. They were more hit than miss, which is why I got them. Plus, you know, famous literature.

Now, it looks like they're re-releasing them in color. I'm not going to buy them all again, but I did want to share my experience.

House of El Book One: The Shadow Threat

Written by Claudia Gray

Illustrated by Eric Zawadzki

Colored by Dee Cunniffe

Lettered by Deron Bennett

208 Pages / $16.99

Welcome to a brand-new vision of one of the most famous tragedies in all of comics from New York Times bestselling author Claudia Gray and illustrator Eric Zawadzki. In this first graphic novel in a trilogy, explore Krypton like never before: through the eyes of two teenagers on opposite sides of the same extinction-level event.

Zahn is one of Krypton's elites: wealthy, privileged, a future leader. Sera is one of Krypton's soldiers: strong, dedicated, fearless. Their rule-bound society has ordained that their paths should never cross.

But groundquakes are shaking the planet's surface. Rebellious uprisings are shaking the populace. Krypton's top scientists — Jor-El and Lara — conduct a secret experiment that is meant to reform their planet from the cellular level up. Zahn and Sera must join forces to investigate the hidden dangers truly threatening Krypton. In the process, they form a bond that just might endure past the end of the world ...

Known for her acclaimed Star Wars novels, Evernight series, and other sci-fi/fantasy works, YA author Claudia Gray is coming to DC next January to share a brand-new vision of the destruction of Krypton, one of the most famous tragedies in all of comics. In House of El, Gray will explore life on Krypton through the eyes of Zahn and Sera — two teenagers who are different in every way — as they come together to investigate the dangers threatening their planet. The three-part young adult graphic novel series will be brought to life by illustrator Eric Zawadzki (Heart Attack), and the first installment will debut January 5, 2021.

About Claudia Gray

Claudia Gray is the New York Times bestselling author of many science fiction and paranormal fantasy books for young adults, including the Defy the Stars series, the Firebird series, the Evernight series, the Spellcaster series, and Fateful. She's also had a chance to work in a galaxy far, far away as the author of the Star Wars novels Lost Stars, Bloodline, and Leia, Princess of Alderaan. Born a fangirl, she loves obsessing over geeky movies and TV shows, as well as reading and occasionally writing fan fiction; however, she periodically leaves the house to go kayaking, do a little hiking, or travel the world. She will take your Jane Austen trivia challenge any day, anytime. Currently she lives in New Orleans.

About Eric Zawadzki

Eric Zawadzki grew up in Vancouver, but he's recently relocated to Calgary. He's most well-known for the critically aclaimed THE DREGS and ETERNAL. His most recent work in comics is HEART ATTACK, for Image/Skybound comics, which he co-created and illustrated.

Praise for ‘House of El’

"This promising trilogy opener features an extensive, fascinating interpretation of Krypton’s flawed perfection, with intriguing political theater and existential quandaries. … A solid pledge for an adventure to come” ― Kirkus Reviews

"A strong start to this trilogy about the last days of Krypton. Will thrill Superman fans and action fans alike.” ― School Library Journal

" … a great entry point for new fans. … Zawadski and Cunniffe's beautiful artwork depicts Krypton covered with detailed, Art Nouveau–inspired skyscrapers and intricate technologies in pastels with lavish gold accents.” ― Booklist

I've been reading this one off and on while reading other things, and it's not bad. I'll have a full review when I'm done.

Oh My Gods! GN (Etch)

Written by Stephanie Cooke and Insha Fitzpatrick

Illustrated by Juliana Moon

$12.99 TPB/$24.99 HC

Karen's a normal New Jersey teen: she plays video games with her friends and watches movies with her mom, and sometimes eye-rolls at her eccentric dad, Zed, whom she only sees on "major" holidays (what even is Panathena?). But when her mom gets a new job and Karen moves to Greece to live with Zed, she discovers everything she's learned about Greek mythology is a little less myth and a little more eek!

Active members of the comics community, Stephanie and Insha started with a pomegranate seed of an idea "Clone High meets Greek myths" and it quickly evolved into a wholesome yet hilarious slice-of-life story dealing with issues kids face every day: moving, making friends, reconnecting with a parent, classmates mysteriously being turned to stone -- Okay, not an everyday issue for most people, but when (surprise!) your dad is Zeus, your new home is the actual Mt. Olympus, and your classmates are reborn gods, goddesses, centaurs, and nymphs? Your definition of normal changes real quick.

The first in a new middle grade graphic novel series, Oh My Gods! reads as if Raina Telgemeier and Rick Riordan teamed up to write a comic, and offers a fresh and funny spin on Greek mythology. Please let me know if I can send you a PDF or hard copy of this fantastic(al) story or connect you with Stephanie and Insha for interview.

Advance Praise for Oh My Gods!:

"[An] adorable father-daughter-bonding story with a twist. ... A fun romp with minimal drama and plenty of heart makes this a refreshing read, and a teaser ending indicates more to come. -- Booklist

"A breezy tone and well-placed gags keep things moving in Cooke and Fitzpatrick's series opener. ... Instantly inviting art with strong lines and a colorful palette by Moon quickly situates the reader." -- Publishers Weekly

"Visually, Moon's bright and expressive art propels Cooke and Fitzpatrick's narrative, with tidy stylization and an alluring full-color palette. ... Intriguing." -- Kirkus

About the Creators:

Stephanie Cooke is an award-nominated writer and editor based out of Toronto, Canada. Her writing work is featured in Millarworld Annual, The Secret Loves of Geek Girls, and Toronto Comics Anthology. Oh My Gods is her debut graphic novel. Visit her on Twitter and Instagram @hellocookie

Insha Fitzpatrick is a New Jersey-based writer, editor, film nerd, and professional spooky person. She’s the founder and co-Editor-in-Chief of DIS/MEMBER and co-Editor-in-Chief of Geek’d Out. Her bylines include Geek.com, Birth.Movies.Death. Visit her at www.ifitzpatrick.com onTwitter: @benwyyatt and on Instagram: @iinshagram.

Juliana Moon is a Brazilian digital artist working in comics and illustration. She lives in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Visit her at www.julianamoon.com, on Twitter @notjulianamoon and on Instagram @julianamoon.

A review copy of this came in the mail, which I haven't yet read. My wife did, and recommended it, so it's on my on-deck circle.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "Captain's Note: It's a new year, so let's try something new with this feature. Y'all let me know if you like this approach."

I like it. I skim "This Week in Comics" every week to get a general idea of what's ahead, but I'm generally not too interested about what publishers think I should know; I'm more interested in what you think (all of "you"). The blue text helps to focus on the personal opinions rather than the hype. 

• Just what I was going to say!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"Captain's Note: It's a new year, so let's try something new with this feature. Y'all let me know if you like this approach."

I like it. I skim "This Week in Comics" every week to get a general idea of what's ahead, but I'm generally not too interested about what publishers think I should know; I'm more interested in what you think (all of "you"). The blue text helps to focus on the personal opinions rather than the hype. 

• Well, I can't offer as much as I used to, back when I did weekly recommendations.

I used to buy comprehensively, so I could speak comprehensively. But in 2010 I had a revelation, in that I was spending a ton for stuff I didn't really want so I could talk about it, for which I was paid peanuts (or not at all). Plus, I was not getting any younger, and at some point I was going to have to quit spending yuuuuge amounts of cash on comics, because I was closer to retirement than the other end. Also, my job (at the Memphis Commerical Appeal) kept getting dicier every year, and that eventually caught up to me (in 2017), when my entire department (and many others) were all layed off at once.

What set off this revelation was that one of the Big Two -- I don't remember which one -- dropped me from the review list, and the idea of suddenly buying that entire line every month was a cold bath. And I knew the other one would follow suit -- each always followed the other, for the 30 years I've been dealing with them -- and sure enough, the other one dropped me as well. By then I'd already come to a clear-eyed understanding that I was no longer going to be comprehensive.

So now it's been more than 10 years since I stopped reading every bloody thing on the market. (Getting Marvel and DC for free made it possible for me to buy the little guys -- so that stopped in 2010 as well.) So all I know is all I know.

Like everyone else.

• I had to split this post in two when additional previews came in. The Manga and All the Rest sections can be found in This Week in Comics: Jan. 4-11, 2021, Part II.

• I'm with Jeff and Richard, I like the new format. I'm always interested in what you or anyone else has to say about the new stuff coming out.

This reply was deleted.