BOOM! STUDIOS

BASILISK VOL 2 TPB

BRZRKR (BERZERKER) #9 (OF 12)

• I love how BOOM! gives us a pronunciation guide for "BRZRKR." As if there's some other way to pronounce it.
  • Here's a preview.

BUFFY '97 #1

Story: Jeremy Lambert | Art: Marianna Ignazzi | Cover: Qistina Khalidah | $7.99

In this special celebratory issue, Buffy Summers and Willow Rosenberg find themselves trapped ... in a '90s teen magazine! But obviously it's not just any old magazine — this one's part of a demon's diabolical plan to feed on teenage insecurities. Meanwhile, in true '90s makeover-montage style, Spike gives Giles a hand with a fresh new look to impress a very special someone! Celebrate the 25th Anniversary of Buffy the Vampire Slayer by Jeremy Lambert (Doom Patrol), artist Marianna Ignazzi (An Unkindness of Ravens).

POWER RANGERS UNLIMITED: COUNTDOWN TO RUIN #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: Marguerite Bennett | Art: Anna Kekovsky Chandra | Cover: Keyla K. Valerio | $7.99
In the next crucial Power Rangers Unlimited special, calamity looms for fan favorites Andros and Zhan from the hit series Power Rangers in Space.

Discover their past growing up on KO-35, their journey to becoming Rangers, and the epic battle that changed their lives forever...

SEVEN SECRETS #18

VAMPIRE SLAYER (BUFFY) #3

DARK HORSE COMICS

EC ARCHIVES: CONFESSIONS ILLUSTRATED HC

• This is the final Picto-Fiction title.
  • And look at those titles! Guaranteed to titillate a '50s crowd. Or a modern one! "Man-Crazy," indeed!

HELLBOY AND THE B.P.R.D.: OLD MAN WHITTIER ONE-SHOT

Story:  Mike Mignola | Art: Gabriel Hernandez Walta | Cover: Mike Mignola | $3.99

Trouble runs in the Whittier family! When Catherine Whittier learns she's inherited the family home, she knows better than to go back alone, and Hellboy's experience with the family (in Hellboy: The Whittier Legacy) makes him the perfect one to make sure any unkind spirits are rest.  Because in a house with a history like this, "plot" can mean more than just a family graveyard.

Hellboy creator Mike Mignola is joined by artist Gabriel Hernández Walta to bring readers a terrifying new one-shot in the home of the infamous Whittier family!

• Self-contained story in the successful Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. line. 

"What I love about these little adventures is how Mignola is able to give us a full story that lives beyond the pages of the book itself." — Fanbase Press

• Uh oh, a reference to a previous Hellboy adventure I don't remember. Time to break out the Library Editions.

LIEBESTRASSE TPB

Story: Gregory Lockard | Art/Cover: Tim Fish | $19.99

During the final years of the Weimar Republic, Sam meets Philip in Berlin and they fall in love. Their romance is hit with an unspeakable reality as the Nazis come to power and fascism makes them a target. Debut writer Greg Lockard (Where We Live Las Vegas Shooting Benefit Anthology) in collaboration with artist Tim Fish (Saved by the Bell, Cavalcade of Boys) bring you the latest hit from ComiXology Originals.

2020 Glaad Media Nominee for Outstanding Comic.

• Unsurprisingly, the title translates to "Love Street."

NOCTURNALS OMNIBUS VOL 2 HC

• Dang it, I haven't finished the first one yet!

PEARL III #2

SUMMER FIRES HC

Story/Art: Giulia Sagramola | $24.99

In Giulia Sagramola's first long-form graphic novel, we follow the story of two sisters, Rachel and Sylvia, as they come of age in a typical Italian town. The two find themselves faced with the tough choices of teenage life, which mirror the fires in the surrounding hillsides of the town, as one decision or another leads to unsettled feelings and desires.

This wonderfully and meticulously illustrated tale takes all of the consternation and heartbreak we know too well from teenage life, and puts it on display in a beautiful and subdued package.

Summer Fires is presented here for the first time in English.

• I may be done with "coming of age" stories for life. I am old, and they don't speak to me at all any more.
  • Here's a preview.

TORSO TPB

Story: Brian Michael Bendis, Marc Andreyko | Art/Cover: Brian Michael Bendis | $19.99

Written by Brian Michael Bendis and Marc Andreyko and illustrated by Bendis himself, Torso recounts the story of an aging Elliot Ness in his hunt for one of America’s first serial killers: the torso killer!

Cleveland. 1935. Eliot Ness, fresh from his legendary Chicago triumph over Al Capone and associates, set his sights on Cleveland. He went on a crusade that matched, and sometimes even surpassed, his past accomplishments. But dismembered body parts started washing up in a concentrated area of Lake Erie Sound. Headless torsos that left no clues to their identity or reason for death. Elliot Ness and his colorful gang of The Unknowns chased this killer through the underbelly of Cleveland for years. As far as the public was concerned, he was never captured. But what really happened is even more shocking.

This 1999 Eisner Award-winner for Comic Book Excellence is re-designed in this latest edition to the Dark Horse/Jinxworld library!

• Have I read this? I know I've read Goldfish. Can't remember if I read this one, but if I did, it would literally have been decades ago. I will have to mount an expedition into the Comics Cave's rarely visited and probably haunted catacombs to see if I have a copy already. If I'm not back by next week, tell my wife I love her.
  • Here's a preview.

DC COMICS

100 BULLETS OMNIBUS VOL 2

ACTION COMICS #1044

AQUAMEN #5

BATMAN BEYOND: THE WHITE KNIGHT #4 (OF 8)

BATMAN/CATWOMAN #12 (OF 12)

BATMAN: FORTRESS #2 (OF 8)

DC VS. VAMPIRES: KILLERS #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: Matthew Rosenberg  | Art: Mike Bowden | Cover: Hicham Habchi | $3.99

In the shadow of the new Vampire World Order, Harley Quinn rules the human underworld in this age of darkness. She has survived by only looking out for herself ... but she might have just found the key to saving the world.

• This is the final mid-series one-shot before the series picks up again next week with issue #7. Yeah, we readers would prefer that all of the one-shots be included in the regular maxiseries numbering, but how does that get a whole bunch of #1s in front of the fanboys?

DEATHSTROKE INC. #10

DETECTIVE COMICS #1021

HARLEY QUINN #16

THE QUESTION BY DENNIS O’NEIL AND DENYS COWAN OMNIBUS VOL 1 HC

• Collects stories from The Question #1-27, Green Arrow Annual #1, The Question Annual #1 and Detective Comics Annual #1.
  • I want this, but I've got to draw the line somewhere on duplicating my entire collection with omnibuses. I think this falls on the other side of whatever line I draw, because I suspect Vic Sage's philosophy won't have aged well, looking a little pusillanimous in the Age of Trump. (But I did really enjoy the title when it came out. And I wish today's world was still like that one, where democracy wasn't at risk and we had the luxury of entertaining pusillanimous philosophies.)

ROBIN #15

THE SWAMP THING #14 (OF 16)

TASK FORCE Z #9 (OF 12)

TEEN TITANS GO UNDEAD TPB

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

BOYS OVERSIZED OMNIBUS VOL 2 HC

Collecting The Boys (2006) #31-47, The Boys: Herogasm #1-6, The Boys: Highland Laddie #1-6.

DEATH TO THE ARMY OF DARKNESS TPB

DRACULINA #4

RED SONJA (2021) #10

SACRED SIX VOL 2: WAR OF ROSES TPB

VAMPIVERSE PRESENTS: VAMP #1

Story: Tom Sniegoski, Jeannine Acheson | Art: Daniel Maine | Cover: Jimmy Broxton | $4.99

Torn from the pages of the hit series Vampiverse!  Meet this reality's version of Vampirella, the Vamp, a mysterious crimefighter in the 1930s classic pulp style who could give The Shadow a run for his money!  But who is the Vamp?  Where did she come from, and how did she become the scourge of all things evil?  And what is her terrifying connection to the Cult of Chaos?  Join us this summer for a titanic tale of terror, action and adventure from the creative team behind the hit VAMPIVERSE miniseries!

• Actually, a '40s vamp Vampirella kinda sounds like fun. But then, I'm a sucker for '40s femmes fatale.

IDW PUBLISHING

CANTO: TALES OF THE UNNAMED WORLD #1

Story: David M. Booher | Art: Drew Zucker | Cover: Liana Kanga | $3.99

The lovable knight Canto, his friends Falco and Rikta, and their Malorex mount are returning to the Clockwork Kingdom. But to get home, they must cross a bridge guarded by a mysterious bard. His price? A story he's never heard in all the Unnamed World. A phenomenal collection of stories by David Booher and some of comics' top artists expands the world and adventure of the fan-favorite Canto series between Canto II: The Hollow Men and Canto III: Lionhearted.

D&D RAVENLOFT: ORPHAN OF AGONY ISLE #1

Story: Aaron Harvey | Art: Corin Howell | Art/Cover: Bayleigh Underwood | $3.99

Frankenstein meets D&D! Miraculously revived from what appears to have been a gruesome death, Miranda finds herself brought back to life, with no memory, in the mysterious lab of the infamously talented Dr. Viktra Mordenheim of Lamordia. Through unsavory experiments, and flashbacks illustrated by a new guest artist each issue, Miranda will begin to piece together — literally one body part at a time — how she met such a horrifying fate. Who wanted her dead, and how has she found herself reanimated at Schloss Mordenheim? Miranda will be forced to reckon with why Viktra would go through all this terrifying trouble to bring her back.

GI JOE: A REAL AMERICAN HERO #294

GODZILLA: BEST OF GODZILLA ONE-SHOT

Story/Art: Various | $6.99

Since the dawn of the Cold War, one monster has reigned supreme-Godzilla! Now, in this first issue in a series of reprints that showcases some of the greatest Godzilla comic book stories ever told by a variety of superstar writers and artists, find out why Godzilla is the undisputed King of the Monsters. And at almost a hundred pages, this comic is nearly as gargantuan as its monstrous star!

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #50

TMNT #130

TMNT: THE LAST RONIN HC

TRANSFORMERS: BEAST WARS VOL 2 TPB

TRANSFORMERS: FATE OF CYBERTRON

Story: Brian Ruckley | Art: Various | Cover: Nick Brokenshire | $7.99

The thrilling conclusion to the saga that started in Transformers (2019) #1! The Decepticons have the upper hand. Cybertron is falling. And Optimus Prime has an imploder — possibly the most dangerous Cybertronian-built weapon in history — to his head. This is the Autobots' last stand. But what does triumph look like in a desperate situation? The War for Cybertron may end here, but the Autobots and Decepticons aren't done yet!

TRANSFORMERS: KING GRIMLOCK HC

IMAGE COMICS

THE DARK ROOM HC

Story: Gerry Duggan | Art/Cover: Scott Buoncristiano, Tamra Bonvillain | $19.99

Bestselling writer Gerry Duggan (X-Men, Deadpool) teams with acclaimed illustrator Scott Buoncristiano (Angel, Angel + Spike) and lauded colorist Tamra Bonvillain (Once & Future, Wonder Woman) for an upcoming action/adventure/horror and humor mashup titled, The Dark Room.

"Collaborating with Scott and Tamra has been one of the great joys of the last year," said Duggan. "It combines so many things I love: monsters, photography, ancient evils, a werewolf, New York City and the skeleton of a young man that died breakdancing in the mid-'80s. Scott is going to be your new favorite artist, and if you don’t have fun with this comic, you’re at least a little dead on the inside."

Dounia Mahoney is no ordinary broker of antiquities, she sees the world’s many blessings and curses and tries to keep cursed items out of the wrong hands. She and her friends set out to hunt for a camera containing an undeveloped photo of the face of true evil threatens to wipe out New York City one chilly autumn evening. If you didn’t already want to read it, there’s also a werewolf and the dancing bones of Times Square with a haunted boom box. The comic is pure, uncut fun.

Buoncristiano added: “I couldn’t be happier that my first comic is a hardcover graphic novel published by Image Comics, the best place for creator-owned comics."

DEPARTMENT OF TRUTH #19

GHOST CAGE #3

IMAGE 30TH ANNV ANTHOLOGY #3

MONSTRESS #41

PUBLIC DOMAIN #1

Story/Art: Chip Zdarsky | $3.99

Multiple Eisner, Shuster and Harvey award winning writer/artist Chip Zdarsky brings readers a heartfelt and humorous high-stakes drama in the upcoming series Public Domain. Previously published via his “It’s Chip Zdarsky’s newsletter, okay?,” this ongoing title will launch in print format for the first time this June from Image Comics.

Public Domain follows Syd Dallas, the legendary comic book artist responsible for pop culture’s greatest hero: THE DOMAIN! But his sons Miles and David have a complicated relationship with both the creation and their creator. Can they convince their dad to fight for their family’s legacy?

This thought-provoking series shines a light on the all-too-common battle between creators and corporations in a world where the billion-dollar creations dominate the cultural landscape. It also marks Zdarsky’s return to fully illustrating a series since the end of the beloved Image Comics title Sex Criminals.

“I’ve been itching to draw a new series for a while now, and Public Domain was the perfect subject matter for me to tackle,” said series creator Zdarsky in an exclusive on the announcement with Comic Book Resources. "Publishing the installments through my Substack has been an amazing experience, but everyone kept asking me, “when will we get physical?” I greatly misunderstood the question and blocked a lot of people on Twitter. But now I understand and am thrilled that Image is going to be printing Public Domain!"

RIGHTEOUS THIRST FOR VENGEANCE #9

SINS OF THE BLACK FLAMINGO #1 (OF 5)

Story: Andrew Wheeler | Art/Cover: Travis Moore | $3.99

A sinister and sexy five-issue miniseries, Sins of the Black Flamingo by critically acclaimed writer Andrew Wheeler (DC’s JLQ, Marvel Voices: Pride) and superstar DC Comics artist Travis Moore (Wonder Woman, Nightwing, Superman: Son of Kal-El) will launch from Image Comics in June for Pride Month 2022.

With colors by Tamra Bonvillain (Wonder Woman, Crush & Lobo) and lettering by Aditya Bidikar (Arkham City: The Order of the World, John Constantine: Hellblazer), Sins of the Black Flamingo not only boasts one of the strongest creative lineups of the year, it's also one of the few American comic books from an all-queer creative team.

"Positive representation is vitally important," said Wheeler. "But we also need complicated, messy, queer anti-heroes, and the Black Flamingo is messy as f*ck!"

Occult Noir. Miami Sleaze. In Sins of the Black Flamingo, Sebastian Harlow is the eponymous Black Flamingo, a flamboyant and narcissistic thief who gets his kicks stealing mystic artifacts from the wealthy and corrupt of Miami’s occult underground. But when his latest job leads him to his biggest score so far, the hedonistic outlaw discovers something he wasn’t looking for — something to believe in.

Wheeler added: "With Sins of the Black Flamingo I want to introduce readers to a glamorous, tawdry world of dark secrets and queer spectacle that's unlike anything they've experienced before. Thanks to the incredible talents of Travis, Tamra, and Aditya, I think that's exactly what readers are going to get! These artists are the best in the business, and I'm so proud to be working with them!"

" 'Be Gay Do Crimes' as pure pop art." — Kieron Gillen, The Wicked + The Divine, Die

"Sebastian Harlow is the most exciting new character in years!" — Chip Zdarsky, Batman, Newburn

SPAWN: SCORCHED #7

WHAT'S THE FURTHEST PLACE FROM HERE? #7

WHAT'S THE FURTHEST PLACE FROM HERE? VOL 1 TPB

MARVEL COMICS

AVENGERS #57

CAPTAIN AMERICA SYMBOL OF TRUTH #2

IRON CAT #1 (OF 5)

Story: Jed Mackay | Art/Cover: Pere Pérez |  Variants: Skan, Ron Lim, John Tyler Christopher | Teen+ | $4.99

Black Cat’s luck never runs out! After penning back-to-back series for the iconic Marvel heroine, writer Jed MacKay will return with another Felicia Hardy adventure in IRON CAT, a new limited series with artist Pere Pérez. Announced this morning at ComicsPRO, IRON CAT will see Black Cat team up with Iron Man to investigate the reemergence of the extraordinary Iron Cat armor. First appearing in BLACK CAT #11, the armor stole the hearts of fans with its sleek design by artist C.F. Villa. But after a thrilling showdown, Felicia surrendered the armor back to Stark, so who is controlling the suit this time …?

Both Black Cat and Iron Man thought they had seen the last of the IRON CAT armor. And if Felicia is surprised to see the armor again, you can imagine how furious Tony is. There’s someone new in the Iron Cat armor and they have a plan that will put them in the crosshairs of all the heroes of the Marvel Universe. Both Iron Man and Black Cat’s secrets and mistakes are going to come back to haunt them, and it’s going to get ROUGH!

"Curiosity may have killed the cat, but as always, satisfaction brings it back. It was with a heavy heart that we said goodbye to the ongoing BLACK CAT series last year, but now what would have been the next arc in that series lives on in its own right — IRON CAT!” MacKay said. “The fan-favorite Iron Cat armor returns ... but who's in it this time? It certainly isn't Felicia Hardy, as the Iron Cat comes gunning for her right off the bat. It's a rare pleasure to have a second chance to pick up a story that you thought lost, and I'm really excited for people to rejoin Pere and I on another Black Cat adventure!"

“I've been reading Jed's BLACK CAT series for a while now, and it's great to be a part of this storyline,” Pérez said. “I mean, there's heists, chases, fights, Iron Man. ... You can't go wrong with that. We'll also see how some parts of Felicia's past come back to haunt her. Felicia and Tony's worlds are pretty much opposite, so you can imagine how crazy things can get if you make those two work together. Can't wait to show everybody what we are cooking.”

• I'm kinda losing track here. Iron Man's marrying Hellcat, right? And he's, what, "just good friends" with Black Cat? And there's an Iron Cat, too?

IRON MAN/HELLCAT ANNUAL #1

Story: Christopher Cantwell  | Art: Ruairí Coleman  | Covers: Logan Lubera, Stanley “Artgerm” Lau, Peach Momoko, Chrissie Zullo | Teen+ | $4.99

Writer Christopher Cantwell has put Iron Man and Hellcat’s blossoming romance through the ringer in the pages of his acclaimed run on IRON MAN. And this June, he’ll team up with amazing artist Ruairí Coleman to deliver a major turning point for the pair in a story that also dives deep into Hellcat’s fascinating history. IRON MAN/HELLCAT ANNUAL #1 will be a giant-sized epic showcasing why Tony and Patsy may be Marvel’s next great super hero romance.

After Tony’s shocking marriage proposal in IRON MAN #20, Hellcat travels to San Francisco to get her house in order … only this house is an aging Victorian manor left to her by her mother Dorothy. The house and its secrets will reunite Patsy with old friends like Hedy Wolfe — as well as others she’d hoped to leave dead and buried. When a supernatural crisis arises, will Hellcat and Iron Man combined be enough to beat back the flames of Hell itself?!

On his reinvigorated take on the character, Cantwell says, “Hellcat has one of the most unique — and at times inscrutable — origin stories in Marvel Comics, but also one of my favorites. I love that Patsy got her start in teen romance comics in the '40s and yet was still somehow able to ride the wave into the rise of superheroes, becoming Hellcat. With an epic and circuitous backstory that now spans more than 75 years, I’ve had a blast exploring the rich tapestry that is Patsy — first in IRON MAN, and now with even more depth in this annual. In this tale, we focus on Hellcat’s peculiar relationship with Hell itself … after all, she’s spent some time there, and she once suffered a tumultuous marriage to Daimon Hellstrom, the Son of Satan. Patsy began as one of America’s first sweethearts, then became a hero, but she’s felt a darkness pull at her for years. It’s deep and twisted and personal and ugly … and maybe … a little alluring? Her relationship with Iron Man has been a welcome counterweight to that — a light that’s dissipated some of the shadows in her. But this story explores Patsy’s connection to a scarier realm. Yes, she can be charming and bubbly and sweet, but is there a power in those fires of Hell that might illuminate a deeper truth?”

JANE FOSTER: SAGA OF VALKYRIE TPB

MARVEL STUDIOS FALCON AND WINTER SOLDIER ART SERIES HC

MECH STRIKE: MONSTER HUNTERS #1 (OF 5)

Story: Christos Gage | Art: Paco Diaz | Cover: Pere Pérez | Teen+ | $3.99

Last month, a brand-new era of MARVEL MECH STRIKE was announced, complete with a new season, new merchandise, and of course, a brand-new limited series tie-in comic! Starting in June, MECH STRIKE: MONSTER HUNTERS will be five-issue saga written by Christos Gage and drawn by Paco Diaz. The series will feature Iron Man, Black Panther, Hulk and more of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes outfitted in their brand-new monster-hunting mech suits!

In last year’s AVENGERS: MECH STRIKE, the Avengers donned new mech armor to battle an unprecedented threat. Now a trio of the world’s most notorious super villains, assembled by Doctor Doom, have used the Eye of the Kraken to give themselves a mystical — and monstrous! — upgrade. In order to defeat their foes, the Avengers must undergo a similar transformation — and become MONSTER HUNTERS! But will the heroes be consumed by their dark new powers?

“I've been a fan of giant robots and Marvel comics since I was a little kid,” Gage said. “The only other thing I loved as much was monsters. And now Mech Strike has gone and put them all together! It's like I've been preparing my whole life to write this comic. You'll get heroes, villains, giant mech suits, monsters and monster mech suits ... everything a great comic book should have! It's the Avengers fighting the Marvel Universe's deadliest villains to prevent a monster apocalypse. But can they prevent themselves from becoming the very monsters they're trying to stop? Artist Paco Diaz is pulling out all the stops to melt your eyeballs when you see this! Hmm...eyeballs...yeah, we just might have a few of those too ...”

MS. MARVEL: BEYOND THE LIMIT TPB

NEW FANTASTIC FOUR #1 (OF 5)

• See last week.

SABRETOOTH #4

SHE-HULK #4

SILVER SURFER REBIRTH #5 (OF 5)

SPIDER-MAN 2099 EXODUS #3

STAR WARS: DARTH VADER #24

STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #21

STAR WARS: HAN SOLO & CHEWBACCA #3

STAR WARS LEGENDS EPIC COLLECTION VOL 2: TALES OF JEDI TPB

STAR WARS: OBI-WAN KENOBI #2

THOR: LIGHTNING AND LAMENT #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: Ralph Macchio | Art: Todd Nauck | Cover: Ron Lim | Teen+ | $3.99

This June, behold a saga that will go down in Asgardian history! From comic greats Ralph Macchio and Todd Nauck comes THOR: LIGHTNING AND LAMENT #1, an extraordinary one-shot brimming with an adventure worthy of the God of Thunder! THOR: LIGHTNING AND LAMENT will be a perfect entry point to the Thor mythos and its iconic characters just in time for Thor’s 60th anniversary. Packed with fresh insights into Thor, Loki and Odin’s intense and dramatic family dynamic, this unpredictable story promises to thrill new and longtime fans alike!

The Mighty Thor has abandoned Asgard in her greatest hour of need, leaving the Realm Eternal in the hands of his half-brother Loki, in the absence of its rightful ruler, Odin. With Asgard under assault by legions of trolls, and the Lady Sif hovering near death due to a possibly fatal wound suffered in battle, can anyone save the Golden City from annihilation?

• Boy, it's been a long time since I've seen that ensemble. In retrospect, it doesn't really say "viking," does it? Pure Kirby.
  • Most artists gave up on the underpants-on-the-outside look by the Silver Age, but Jack Kirby never did, did he? Thor wore the shorts, as did Giant-Man and even Iron Man (although his were metal). His '60s take on Captain America still included blue gym shorts over the blue leggings. Meanwhile, over at DC, Green Lantern, Flash and Atom discarded the shorts. But Silver Age Hawkman retained them, as did Golden Age legacy characters Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. There's a dissertation in there somewhere.)

THOR: SAGA OF GORR THE GOD BUTCHER TPB

VARIANTS #1 (OF 5)

Story: Gail Simone | Art/Cover: Phil Noto | Teen+ | $3.99

What would it really be like to meet an alternate version of yourself, another you who had made different choices and lived a completely different life as a result? That's the question facing Jessica Jones, as what seemed like a routine investigation instead has her encountering other incarnations of herself from across the Multiverse. Can Jessica get along with herself? Will she want to kill her other selves? And will seeing the lives she could have led drive her into a self-destructive spiral? This is what happens when you meet ... the Variants!

• Here's a prediction: Yes, she will want to kill her other selves. (At least the Krysten Ritter version would.)

VENOM: LETHAL PROTECTOR #3

WOLVERINE PATCH #3

X-CELLENT #4

X-FORCE #29

X-MEN RED #4

MAGAZINES

ALTER EGO #176

BACK ISSUE #136

COMIC BOOK CREATOR #28

STAR TREK EXPLORER MAGAZINE #3

BOOKS

DORIS DAY — IMAGES OF A HOLLYWOOD ICON

To commemorate the 100th anniversary of the birth of one of the most beloved and successful actresses and singers in the history of show business, Hermes Press is proud to announce the publication of DORIS DAY — IMAGES OF A HOLLYWOOD ICON, featuring rare and previously unpublished photographs from the late star's personal collection.

Born in Cincinnati, Ohio on April 3, 1922, Doris Mary Anne Kappelhoff had dreams of becoming a professional dancer before a near-fatal car accident during her teen years left her bed-ridden with a shattered leg for over a year. While listening to the radio during her recovery and becoming entranced by jazz vocalist Ella Fitzgerald, Doris embarked on singing lessons for two years, resulting in her becoming a local radio star and joining big bands — where she adopted the stage name of "Day" — leading to a plum position with the Les Brown Orchestra.

While touring cross-country with Brown, Day had several hit records with the band, culminating with the end-of-World-War-II anthem “Sentimental Journey.”  After a failed marriage and giving birth to her son Terry, Doris relocated to Los Angeles, where she was discovered by famed film director Michael Curtiz (Casablanca) and signed to a contract with Warner Brothers.

Starting with the 1948 Technicolor musical Romance on the High Seas, where she introduced the Oscar®-nominated hit song “It's Magic,” Day quickly ascended to the top of the most popular stars in Hollywood. While continuing her recording career, she moved effortlessly between song-filled, nostalgic features such as Calamity Jane — introducing the Oscar®-winning hit “Secret Love”; gripping film noir (Storm Warning); musical biography (Love Me or Leave Me); a Hitchcock thriller (The Man Who Knew Too Much) and modern romantic comedies with Rock Hudson (Pillow Talk), Clark Gable (Teacher's Pet), Cary Grant (That Touch of Mink) and James Garner (The Thrill of It All).

Despite not making a film since 1968, Day still holds the record as the number one female box-office star. Her many honors include the Cecil B. DeMille Award for outstanding contributions to the entertainment industry, the Los Angeles Film Critics Award for Lifetime Achievement, a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award, an Academy Award® nomination for Pillow Talk and the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Her films and recordings continue to appeal to audiences all over the world. Her iconic Oscar®-winning hit “Que Sera, Sera” (“Whatever Will Be Will Be”) was not only the theme to her top-10 television series The Doris Day Show, but has resonated globally with several generations.

A lifelong animal lover and pioneering animal welfare advocate, Day focused her later years on her heart's passion — making this a better world for animals and the people who love them. Her celebrity voice has been instrumental in reducing shelter euthanasia, introducing spay/neuter initiatives, lobbying for laws that protect animals, and many other programs. Since 1978, the Doris Day Animal Foundation has grown into a national non-profit animal welfare leader and continues to carry on Day's legacy.

DORIS DAY — IMAGES OF A HOLLYWOOD ICON, published in association with the star's estate. Offers hundreds of photos, including glamorous publicity portraits, behind-the-scenes images with famous friends and colleagues, and glimpses into her personal life. Longtime fan Paul McCartney has composed a Foreword. Turner Classic Movies host Eddie Muller and singer-historian Michael Feinstein have contributed appreciations of Day's motion picture and recording careers, respectively. A filmography and discography are also included.

MORE COMICS

AGENT OF W.O.R.L.D.E.#1 (OF 4)

Story: Deniz Camp | Cover: Jason Wordie | Art/Cover: Filya Bratukhin | Scout Comics | $4.99

Horny robots! Super-evolved orangutan bosses! Joyriders from the 26th Century! Nothing fazes Philip Blank, top agent for the sci-fi spy organization known as W.O.R.L.D.E.! But lately, Philip's been wondering if there isn't more to life than saving the world through creative violence. What is Philip hiding from WORLDE, and how far will he go to keep it hidden? The most beautifully bizarre book of the year is here!

• Any guesses on what W.O.R.L.D.E. stands for? I'm going to say "Wide Open Range Leaves Dust Everywhere."

ARCHIE JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #331

BALLAD OF RONAN #2 (OF 6)

BROKEN EYE #3

BUZZARD AND BONE #3 (OF 4)

CAVEWOMAN: MIDNIGHT MADNESS

Story/Art: Devon Massey | Cover: Budd Root | Amryl Entertainment | Mature | $3.99

It's movie night at the Moon Valley Video Store and owner Carrie Fulton invites you to join in the festivities as long as you dress up like your favorite movie character. The movies start at sunset. There is plenty of popcorn, pizza, nachos and root beer, help yourself and spend the evening hanging out with all your friends. Meriem, Mona, Ty, Sally, Bruce, Kevin and Lynne, Devon, Joe, Windy and Mark. All of your friends will be there. But be careful, someone here is planning to ruin Carrie's video evening. Who is behind this insidious plot?

• Do I have to mention this is an homage to the famous Vampirella poster of the 1960s?

CRYSTAL PLANET #1 (OF 5)

Story: Joe Satriani, Tony Lee | Art/Cover: Richard Friend | Opus Comics | $4.99

A vivid space odyssey where Satchel Walker, a man out of time, finds himself caught between desperate factions as they battle for resources in the perilous orbit of a dying star. It's music, and more importantly the power and emotion that music can conjure, which could bring an end to the conflict, restore harmony to the timestream, and reveal Walker's true place in the universe.

DISTORTED #4

FORMIDABLES #1

Story/Art: Chris Malgrain | Advent Comics | $3.99

Unbound Realms brings you the most fascinating heroes of the Oniric Comics Group: The Formidables! But can even they stop the terrifying power of the Storm Fighter?

FREAKS & GODS VOL 2 #2

GIANT-SIZE PUBLIC DEFENDERS ONE-SHOT

• More Dave Sim stuff.

GOOD BOY VOL 2 #2 (OF 4)

GRIMM FAIRY TALES #61

HIT ME #4

HONCHO #1 (OF 2)

Story: Jeff McClelland, Jeff McComsey | Art/Cover: Jeff McComsey | CEX Publishing | Mature | $7.99

Fifteen years after World War III, Captain Donald Stanley returns to America on a mission to reunite a fractured nation ... and play baseball? This two-volume giant-sized miniseries written by a pair of Jeffs, Jeff McClelland and Jeff McComsey, Honcho combines some good old fashion adventuring in a post-collapse America with its still-thriving greatest pastime. A lot has changed since last time Captain Stanley stepped foot on his native soil, but one thing that hasn't changed is it's still three strikes and you're out at the old ballgame.

LAND OF LIVING GODS #5

LIFE ZERO #5

MINDSET #1

Story: Zack Kaplan | Art/Cover: John Pearson | Variant: Martin Simmonds | Vault | $4.99

Vault is thrilled to announce the new psychedelic sci-fi thriller, MINDSET, written by Zack Kaplan (Eclipse, Port of Earth), drawn & colored by Eisner-winning artist John J. Pearson (Blue In Green), lettered by Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou (The Blue Flame, Engineward), and designed by Tim Daniel.

MINDSET centers around four grad students who accidentally discover mind control, put it in an app, and set out to free over one billion users from technological addiction. But are they freeing the world or controlling it? It’s a cautionary tale about how idealistic dreams are corrupted, how our own minds are locked in an existential battle with technology, and perhaps, how we might win it.

“MINDSET is a mind-bending sci-fi thriller about four wide-eyed grad students who discover mind control and put it in an app, and a dark journey that follows, twists and turns, murder and mystery, love and heartbreak through the absurd world of overnight technopreneurs and social media empires," said Kaplan. "But the series is really about a dilemma I think we all feel today. How do we use devices, social media and apps to connect with each other and feel influential without allowing the technology to influence the very choices we make and thoughts we have? We believe the timing for the story couldn’t be more socially reverent, since we’ve increased our dependency more than ever on technology, but as Silicon Valley tightens its digital grip on our behavior, mind control exists right now."

“Eisner-winning artist John Pearson delivers a creative vision in the footsteps of Bill Sienkiewicz and Dave McKean, and Eisner-worthy letterer Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou brings a level of artistry to the lettering that’s next level, continued Kaplan. "We’ve pursued a very collaborative and cohesive approach with the intention of creating a multi-layered comic experience, which is what made collaborating with brilliant editor Adrian Wassel and the entire team at Vault Comics such a perfect union here. Give us your minds and prepare to have them blown away!”

“I set out to factor in a range of divergent approaches to the art to reflect the nature of the story, mixing traditional and digital approaches in a tactile way," added Pearson. "The artwork isn’t merely an extension of the story, it’s substantial and distinct, with its own visual narrative. We’ve developed a story where we’re dealing with themes surrounding social media, misuse of power and mind control, all very much in a post-truth context. The questions that I’m pushing throughout the series with the art reflect and subvert these themes, making the viewer question what they’re seeing and the reliability of the art presented to them, alongside (and at times against) the narrative. It’s aiming to be much more than simply an illustrated thriller, I want it to be a tangible experience with the reader as an active participant, with us leading them through a story that they can revisit time and again.”

NAUGHTY LIST #3

NEVERENDER #2 (OF 6)

NEW MEN #4 (OF 4)

OBLIVION TRIALS #1 (OF 4)

Story: Brandon Chen, Fred Packard | Art/Cover: Anderson Carman | Source Point Press | $3.99

What mystery lies on the other side of the afterlife?

After his own abrupt death, a young boy, Kiko, finds himself whisked to an ethereal world into the boat of Charon, a deity that presents him with a choice that will decide his eternal fate.

PENTAGRAM OF HORROR #2

REDMAN #1 (OF 5)

Story/Art: Matt Frank | Behemoth | Mature | $3.99

From the studio that created the cult TV show Ultraman (Now a Marvel Comics series and Netflix Show). Here is Redman, the Kaiju Hunter...

Trapped in a desolate and yet somehow familiar world populated with a vast array of the ferocious beasts known as "Kaiju," Redman continues his endless Red Fight, battling tirelessly to cull the monsters. With each fierce battle, the mysterious, blood-splattered "hero" sinks closer to his prey, ready to strike. This while a sinister form watches and records his every move...

TAKEDOWN #1

Story: Geoffrey D Wessel | Art/Cover: Zach Bassett | Cosmic Times | Mature | $3.99

Officer Josiah Bledsoe is one of the toughest cops in the Department of Adjudication. But his limits will be tested with the return to Earth of the Star Corps traitor who ruined his dreams, and is now the right hand of the dreaded Nebula Empire!

TALES OF TERROR QUARTERLY BACK TO SCHOOL ONE-SHOT

Story: Dave Franchini, Joe Brusha, Ralph Tedesco, David Wohl | Cover: Al Barrionuevo | Zenescope | 72 pages | $8.99

In these hallowed halls of learning, a new guidance counselor has arrived with a very...unique view of right and wrong. Her name is Keres, otherwise known as the Goddess of Death, and it's best to heed her teachings as your very life may depend on it.

Follow four new tales of terror, as both students and teachers alike will be finding out firsthand that the lessons learned can sometimes be fatal.

Don't miss this terrifying collection of stories set in the most terrifying place one can imagine, high school, in this new, over-sized issue!

• If my teachers had looked like that, I might have enjoyed high school.

TAROT WITCH OF THE BLACK ROSE #134

ULTRAMAX #2 (OF 4)

WE PROMISED UTOPIA #4

MORE COLLECTIONS & OGNs

ADRASTEA HC

Story/Art: Mathieu Bablet | Magnetic Press | Mature | $29.99

After 1,000 years on his throne, the former king of Hyperborea sets out for Mount Olympus to ask the gods why he was cursed with immortality, and how he might finally be allowed to die to rejoin the one he once loved. On his way, he will meet men, women, gods and goddesses who will influence and reveal truths to the traveler that he has long since forgotten.

ANGELA DELLA MORTE VOL 2: WE CAN DESTROY THE SOUL TPB

BOOT BLACK HC

Story/Art: Mikael (A) Mikael | NBM | $27.99

In the spring of 1945: the war leaves only death and destruction in its wake. To escape the horror of the present, Al, an American soldier, the only survivor of his unit, immerses himself in the memories of his New York life. Son of German immigrants, born in the United States, he was not yet 10 years old when, in one night, under the approving eyes of anti-immigrant Americans, he lost his parents and his home in a terrible fire. Turning his back on his origins, Al has no choice but to live on the streets; he becomes a Bootblack, a shoe shiner. New York offers no future for the poor, Al understood that. He is therefore determined to earn more money, whatever the means. But he does not imagine, at that point, that the war which threatens will soon give him an appointment with his past.

CAT SHIT ONE OMNIBUS HC

CURSE OF THE CHOSEN VOL 1: MATTER LIFE & DEATH GN

• Reprinting Alexis Deacon's Geis Vol. I: A Matter of Life and Death and Geis Vol. 2: A Game Without Rules.

DOG BISCUITS HC

Story/Art: Alex Graham | Fantagraphics | $34.99

WINNER 2021 Cartoonist Studio Prize, Best Webcomic

Social justice, "woke" culture, social media, gender dynamics, and insouciance intersect in this pandemic-inspired graphic novel about the repercussions of making mistakes.

It's July 2020 in Seattle. Gussy struggles to keep his dog biscuit boutique afloat while a global pandemic rages unchecked. The loneliness of lockdown and social distancing drives his employee Rosie to betray her principles. Rosie's roommate Hissy is at a personal crossroads. A love triangle emerges as they find themselves tangled in a web of police brutality, protests, drugs, dating apps and Covid chaos. Taking place over the course of just a few days, this is a snapshot of humanity — okay, animals — in crisis. Alex Graham's pandemic-inspired graphic novel was initially serialized six panels at a time on Instagram during the lockdowns of 2020 and became one of the most talked about comics of the year; this hardcover edition will remain a timeless work long after the pandemic ends.

• What the what?

FICTIONAUTS TPB

Story: Mauro Mantella | Art: Leandro Rizzo | Cover: Alvaro Papagiani | Red 5 Comics-Stonebot | $14.95

Fantasy is a serious business for this team, as they scour fictional worlds to right dangerous anomalies and preserve the balance between reality and imagination. But recently, a rash of unexplained disturbances across the fictional universe has started to tear it apart, and they face the ultimate challenge when the mysterious Agent X threatens to bring down the barriers between our world and the world of stories. Dive headlong into the madcap, mind-bending world of the Fictionauts!

FROGBOY VOL 1 TPB

Story/Art: John Burgin | Lev Gleason-New Friday | $12.99

New Friday is proud to present Frogboy!

Just a simple Frogboy trying to find faith in a world that has abandoned it! Wel-come to the crazy Punk Rock world of Senter City, where the city streets belong to scavenger gangs, and after dark, it is no place for families. Street kids run the night, and the middle class retreats nightly to safe bubble zones guarded by robot forces!

Oh, and did me mention this volume also contains the original Frogboy Story Taco Tuesday! Cause it totally does! 

GENDER QUEER HC

Story: Maia Kobabe | Art: Phoebe Kobabe | Oni Press | Mature | $24.99

In 2014, Maia Kobabe, who uses e/em/eir pronouns, thought that a comic of reading statistics would be the last autobiographical comic e would ever write. At the time, it was the only thing e felt comfortable with strangers knowing about em. Then e created Gender Queer. Maia's intensely cathartic autobiography charts eir journey of self-identity, which includes the mortification and confusion of adolescent crushes, grappling with how to come out to family and society, bonding with friends over erotic gay fan fiction, and facing the trauma and fundamental violation of pap smears. Started as a way to explain to eir family what it means to be nonbinary and asexual, Gender Queer is more than a personal story: It is a useful and touching guide on gender identity — what it means and how to think about it-for advocates, friends, and humans everywhere. 

This special deluxe hardcover edition of Gender Queer features a brand-new cover, exclusive art and sketches, a foreword from ND Stevenson, Lumberjanes writer and creator of She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, and an afterword from Maia Kobabe.

GOOD BOY VOL 1 TPB

Story: Garrett Gunn, Christina Blanch | Art: Kit Wallis | Cover: Alexandria Monik | Source Point Press | $11.99

Flint Sparks and his human Jon, both former mercenaries, have settled down in quiet retirement from an industry where the job is supposed to be forever. But, unlike anyone before, they found a way out. However, this new life, filled with peace and joy, is not to be. In the dead of night, some of their former "colleagues," who disagree with their decision to retire, break into their home and murder Jon, leaving Flint alive in the bloody aftermath. They killed his human. He wants revenge.

KNIGHT JANEK VOL 1 TPB

Story: Robert Sienicki, Jan Mazur | Art/Cover: Igor Wolski | Behemoth | $14.99

Things are not going well in the realm of Fancylake. The royal couple falls a victim of a fatal accident, and the fresh new Duke shows a disturbing passion for the occult. As if that were not enough, a strange wanderer arrives in the capital. ... Knight Janek will fight giant Kaiju Centipede's and many others in his journey to stop the Duke from taking over the realm of Fancylake. Time to decapitate this monster and save this Kingdom. What do you think of that Knight?

M IS FOR MONSTER GN

Story/Art: Talia Dutton | Abrams ComicArts-Surely | Mature | $17.99

When Doctor Frances Ai's younger sister Maura died in a tragic accident six months ago, Frances swore she would bring her back to life. However, the creature that rises from the slab is clearly not Maura. This girl, who chooses the name "M," doesn't remember anything about Maura's life and just wants to be her own person. However, Frances expects M to pursue the same path that Maura had been on — applying to college to become a scientist — and continue the plans she and Maura shared. Hoping to trigger Maura's memories, Frances surrounds M with the trappings of Maura's past, but M wants nothing to do with Frances' attempts to change her into something she's not. Talia Dutton's debut graphic novel takes a hard look at what it means to live up to other people's expectations — as well as our own.

OGRE GODS VOL 4: FIRST BORN GN

OGRE SPECIAL EDITION TPB

Story: Bob Salley | Art/Cover: Shawn Daley | Source PoInt Press | $14.99

Ogre is back in this new special edition re-release trade paperback collection featuring bonus content that includes a brand-new short story exclusive to this collection!

A recluse ogre escapes imprisonment from a tower during a castle siege and must work with humankind if he wants to survive. This journey sets him on an adventure he's unprepared to embark upon.

• Please. "The journey sets him on an adventure upon which he's unprepared to embark." I'm not a pedant on dangling prepositions, but some of them just hurt my ear.

OLDMAN VOL 2 GN

PARADOX OF GETTING BETTER GN

Story/Art: Raven Lyn Clemens | Silver Sprocket | Mature | $12.99

In three vignettes, a young adult named "XXXX" deals with different stages of their life, trauma, and mental illness. As their identity transforms, so does their perspective. An intense, incisive look at what it takes to keep surviving.

PURSUER TPB

Lev Gleason-New Friday | $26.99

Villal Pando has crafted a stunningly beautiful tale of love, loss, and betrayal. Set against the backdrop of the big city during the first half of the 20th century, fans of vintage comics, and noir aesthetics will be drinking up Pando's elegant illustrations in this original graphic novel.

RED LEAVES TPB

Story: Massimo Rosi | Art: Lorenzo Palombo | Art/Cover: Ivan Fiorelli | Lev Gleason-New Friday | $24.99

A time long ago, it was said that during the war, the dead walked among the people, infecting those they loved the most. They were driven only by the animalistic desire to return home. Siberia, Soviet Union, during the Winter Campaign. A mother and daughter wait shrouded in loneliness for the father's return, who was sent to the battle raging Finland. The two have been alone for months, hundreds of miles from the closest city when a terrible presence and overwhelming paranoia begin to surround their home and their daily lives.

RICK AND MORTY BOOK EIGHT DLX ED

SCRATCHER TPB

Story: John Ward | Art/Cover: Juan Romera | Lev Gleason-New Friday | $16.99

A tortured tattooist sets out to save her clients - who are being possessed by the tattoos she gave them  — and in the process ends up saving herself. Suspenseful and well-crafted, a flickering yellowed globe swinging on a cord between loneliness and blood.

TALES FROM THE DEAD ASTRONAUNT TPB

TAPROOT GARDENER & A GHOST TPB

Story/Art: Keezy Young | Oni Press | $15.99

Blue has been living as a ghost for a year when he meets Hamal, a beautiful and sweet gardener who has the ability to see and communicate with ghosts. Together, their friendship develops into something more, but being a ghost, Blue can never truly be connected with Hamal.

When Blue realizes Hamal's strange ability may be putting him in danger, Blue has to find a way to protect him — even if it means leaving him.

This edition features a brand-new cover, along with exclusive bonus material.

TOM THE DANCING BUG: EAT THE POOR TPB

• What a modest proposal!

TUKI VOL 2 (OF 6): FIGHT FOR FAMILY TPB

UNBORN COLLECTED ED TPB

WASH DAY DIARIES GN

Story: Jamila Rowser | Art: Robyn Smith | Chronicle Books | $19.95

The book takes its title from the wash day experience shared by Black women everywhere of setting aside all plans and responsibilities for a full day of washing, conditioning, and nourishing their hair. Each short story uses hair routines as a window into these four characters' everyday lives and how they care for each other. In expanding the story of Kim and her friends, the authors pay tribute to Black sisterhood through portraits of shared, yet deeply personal experiences of Black hair care. From self-care to spilling the tea at an hours-long salon appointment to healing family rifts, the stories are brought to life through beautifully drawn characters and different color palettes reflecting the mood in each story.

MORE MANGA

APOSIMZ VOL 9 GN

BLACK OR WHITE VOL 4 GN

CATCH THESE HANDS VOL 2 GN

CLASSMATES VOL 5: OB GN

DEADLOCK VOL 1 NEW PTG

Digital Manga Distribution | Mature | $14.95

Yuuto Lenix, a former DEA investigator convicted for the murder of his partner, claims he was framed for a murder of his partner but his attorney failed to convey his innocence in court. While in prison, an FBI agent offers him a deal — look for a particular criminal hiding in the same prison and, if he succeeds, then Lenix will go home free. Seeing this as his only hope for freedom, he agrees.

DOUGHNUTS UNDER CRESCENT MOON VOL 3 GN

DRUGSTORE IN ANOTHER WORLD VOL 5: CHEAT PHARMACIST GN

FIST OF THE NORTH STAR VOL 5 HC

GOBLIN SLAYER SIDE STORY II DAI KATANA VOL 3 GN

I’M NOT MEAT GET YOUR FILTHY PAWS OFF ME VOL 1 GN

Story/Art: Ikkado Itoh | Ghost Ship | Mature | $13.99

In this wild, new sex comedy, you've never seen cougars like this! A handsome young copywriter at an advertising agency has a problem: horny girls make him nervous. In his eyes, they look like wild beasts attacking their prey, and he's not eager to be feasted upon. In this outlandish sex comedy that explores the feral nature of sexuality, witness the world through the eyes of a man being stalked by sexy beasts — in his view, a veritable menagerie of animals all ready to pounce on him!

INTO THE DEEPEST, MOST UNKNOWABLE DUNGEON VOL 3 GN

MAID I HIRED RECENTLY IS MYSTERIOUS VOL 3 GN

MAISON IKKOKU COLLECTORS’ EDITION VOL 8 GN

OTAKU ELF VOL 4

OUTBRIDE BEAUTY & BEASTS VOL 1 GN

Story/Art: Tohko Tsukinaga | Seven Seas | $14.99

A reverse harem isekai romance of supernatural suitors and seduction! A young woman named Mashiro is reborn in a fantasy world inhabited only by men - and suddenly finds herself with four supernatural suitors! These handsome men with fur, feathers, and horns call themselves gods. She's now the sole human female in their world, so they all want her to bear their children. As if that's not enough, the air of this new realm is permeated with a poison that only a god can suppress... with a kiss.

PRECARIOUS WOMAN MISS BLACK GENERAL VOL 8 GN

SAYONARA FOOTBALL VOL 11 GN

SENSEI’S PIOUS LIE VOL 2 GN

SIGN OF AFFECTION VOL 5 GN

STAR WARS REBELS VOL 3 GN

SWIPA THE FOX #1

Story: De'Aaron Fox, Natashia Mcgough Clark, Nnamdi Ikeakor | Art: Paulo Sampaio | Cover: Nekotama | Eigomanga | $3.99

De'Aaron Fox accidentally ventures into a basketball video game while his video game counterpart causes havoc in the real world. De'Aaron has to harness all of his world-class basketball skills to play his way out of the digital game and return to reality.

TALE OF THE OUTCASTS VOL 5 GN

THAT TIME I GOT REINCARNATED AS A SLIME VOL 19 GN

WANDANCE VOL 1 GN

Story/Art: Coffee | Kodansha | $12.99

Kaboku has always just gone with the flow, marching in step to the drumbeat of the expectations of those around him: parents, school, plans for the future. It feels predictable, safe and ... empty. But one night, Kaboku's at school late, and he happens on a girl alone, moving wildly, turning a blank space of concrete into a canvas. This is Hikari Wanda, a member of the hip-hop dance club. Kaboku is immediately smitten, but the road to stepping out of his shell is a long one. The club is almost entirely girls, and they're all, well, way better than him. What's ahead is unknown, and that's terrifying, but it also means, for the first time in Kaboku's life a taste of freedom.

WELCOME BACK ALICE VOL 2 GN

WHY RAELIANA ENDED AT DUKE’S MANSION VOL 1 GN

Story/Art: Milcha Whale | Yen Press | $20.00

Eunha Park thought she was getting another chance at life when she awoke in the world of a novel. The only problem? Raeliana McMillan, the character she was reborn as, is fated to be killed by her fiancé! For the sake of her survival, she comes up with an idea — get into a fake marriage with a man more powerful than her groom-to-be. But when that protection comes in the form of Noah Wynknight, the duke with a warm smile and cold heart, Raeliana realizes she might be a bit in over her head. … She’s going to regret this plan, isn’t she?

MORE FOR KIDS

ADVENTURES OF ROBO KID HC

ARTEMIS FOWL VOL 3: THE ETERNITY CODE GN

CHLOE VOL 6: GREEN THUMB GN

GHOSTS OF SCIENCE PAST HC

SABERTOOTH DAN VS BRUNCH #1

SISTERS OF THE MIST GN

STAR KNIGHTS GN

WANNABES #1

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Please. "The journey sets him on an adventure upon which he's unprepared to embark." I'm not a pedant on dangling prepositions, but some of them just hurt my ear.

I feel that "The journey sets him on an adventure for which he's unprepared" flows better.

• EC PICTO-FICTION LINE: I'm happy with the Russ Cochran ones; I didn't buy the Dark Horse ones. I do have some duplication in the "New Trend/New Direction" lines, but my reasoning there is the difference between b&w and color.

THE QUESTION OMNIBUS: I did not buy this series when it was new, nor did I pre-order the omni when I saw the solicitation. But I've been reading backissues of Swamp Thing lately and Dick Giordano's "Meanwhile" column promoting it is still fresh in my mind. Also, by this point I've read all the originals, which is something I couldn't say in the '80s. 

"femmes fatale" - THANK you!

"Most artists gave up on the underpants-on-the-outside look by the Silver Age, but Jack Kirby never did, did he?"

In addition to the ones you mentioned (and speaking of Jack Kirby), he carried that look over into the New Gods (Orion, Lightray). I never did think of the "underwear" being "on the outside"; to me it was all one ensemble (perhaps because I used to play with Captain Action dolls as a kid). 

BACK ISSUE #136: This is the one I've been waiting for (but didn't #135 ship just last week?).

"Any guesses on what W.O.R.L.D.E. stands for?" - "Weapons Of Real Loud Destruction and Explosions"?

"What the what?" - It's like Maus but without the talent.

FICTIONAUTS TPB: I really enjoyed this series. Anyone reading this might want to give the tpb a look.

• I agree, that's better.

The Baron said:

• Please. "The journey sets him on an adventure upon which he's unprepared to embark." I'm not a pedant on dangling prepositions, but some of them just hurt my ear.

I feel that "The journey sets him on an adventure for which he's unprepared" flows better.

• Jeff of Earth-J said:

"Most artists gave up on the underpants-on-the-outside look by the Silver Age, but Jack Kirby never did, did he?"

In addition to the ones you mentioned (and speaking of Jack Kirby), he carried that look over into the New Gods (Orion, Lightray). I never did think of the "underwear" being "on the outside"; to me it was all one ensemble (perhaps because I used to play with Captain Action dolls as a kid). 

I shouldn't have used the "underpants" line, since it's inaccurate -- it's just what everybody says. I actually used to think of those briefs as part of the outfit of a circus strongman, since that was the inspiration for Superman's garb. But as I got older -- and especially after reading Daredevil #1 -- I considered that it was probably more likely that many male artists were basing that aspect of the costume on boxing or wrestling trunks. Evidently boxing gyms were commonplace in New York in the '40s, '50s and into the '60s (and probably elsewhere), and they would be familiar venues to New York artists. As for leotards, they were part of many a wrestler's ensemble, and might have been considered just as macho as the trunks.

I don't have much to base these opinions on, except for Daredevil #1, where Matt Murdock got everything he needed to create a familiar super-suit from a boxing gym, including the trunks that were so ubiquitous in the Golden Age. As to Superman, we have the creators' own words that they based his suit on a circus strongman outfit.

Anyway, instead of being something to snigger at, those trunks probably have historical precedent that many of us today just aren't that familiar with, as boxing gyms have morphed into places where people do yoga, pilates and Pelotron. I don't actually frequent gyms myself, but I don't imagine the old boxing trunks show up very often.

• Jeff of Earth-J said:

BACK ISSUE #136: This is the one I've been waiting for (but didn't #135 ship just last week?).

"Any guesses on what W.O.R.L.D.E. stands for?" - "Weapons Of Real Loud Destruction and Explosions"

I don't buy Back Issue (or any TwoMorrows magazines), so your guess as to why Diamond is listing two issues on successive weeks is as good as mine.

And your W.O.R.L.D.E. guess not only made me chuckle, but for all I know, that's really what it is!

• First rule of writing: "Omit needless words."

Captain Comics said:

I agree, that's better.

The Baron said:

• Now that DC editorial has "solved" the problem-that-didn't-exist of superman's trucks, every time I see him I get the feeling he left home without his pants. 

• Captain Comics said:

I don't buy Back Issue (or any TwoMorrows magazines), so your guess as to why Diamond is listing two issues on successive weeks is as good as mine.

I started getting Alter Ego from Two Morrows when it needed more subscribers to save it from going away.

I have only bought one copy of Back Issue (#133 spotlighting the various Starman characters). I think the issues are close together because they experienced a major delay because of a paper shortage. I guess the paper came through and both are being printed.

• Now instead of asking about his perceived underwear, the public is probably asking why he has a weird belt.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Now that DC editorial has "solved" the problem-that-didn't-exist of superman's trucks, every time I see him I get the feeling he left home without his pants. 

• For a while, he had a weird collar (and so did Green Lantern).

This reply was deleted.