THE BIG STUFF

Green Arrow 80th Anniversary 100-Page Super-Spectacular #1

DC Comics | 100 pages | $9.99

Writers/Art: Various| Cover: Dan Mora | 1940s variant: Michael Cho | 1950s variant: Daniel Warren Johnson | 1960s variant: Neal Adams | 1970s variant: Derrick Chew | 1980s variant: Gary Frank | 1990s variant: Howard Porter | 2000s variant: Jen Bartel | 2010s variant: Simone Di Meo

The Captain's comments: I love these anthologies, which not only trace DC's characters from the Golden Age to present in story form, but also provide "lost" adventures, sort of, from each decade. That's just fun. They also feel sort of Golden Age-y, by providing so many story pages, and so many different stories.

DC has supplied descriptions of all the stories in this anthology, a couple of previews and all the variant covers. No reason I shouldn't post it all, so here ya go:

• "Tap, Tap, Tap"

This anthology not only features a who’s who of comic book storytellers but also includes a unique and heartfelt tribute to the career of iconic DC and Green Arrow scribe Denny O’Neil. “Tap, Tap, Tap” is a silent, wordless story from Denny O’Neil’s son Larry, Jorge Fornes (Rorschach), and Dave Stewart (Superman). The story chronicles the challenges and victories in Denny’s life both in and out of comics, from his childhood, raising a family, his stellar career as a writer, until his passing in 2020.

• “The Disappearing Bandit”

Written by Mariko Tamaki, Art by Javier Rodriguez

It’s the Golden Age of Green Arrow and Speedy, brought to humorous and loving life by New York Times bestselling writer Mariko Tamaki (Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass) and acclaimed artist Javier Rodriguez (Batgirl: Year One). A lot of people attempt to affectionately show the silliness of the first age of superheroes, but few have done it as exceptionally as Mariko and Javier. Trick arrows for everyone!

• “Punching Evil”

Writer: Tom Taylor | Art: Nicola Scott | Colors: Annette Kwok

To become a more adept superhero and fighter, Green Arrow goes to train with the Golden Age superhero Wildcat at his gym. In true Wildcat fashion, he shows Ollie the hard way of what it takes to be your own hero. Tom Taylor (Nightwing, Suicide Squad, Injustice) brings this story to life, with incredible artwork from Nicola Scott (Wonder Woman 75th Anniversary Special) and Annette Kwok (Joker/Harley: Criminal Sanity).

• “Who Watches the Watchtower?”

Writer: Stephanie Phillips | Art by Chris Mooneyham | Colors by Mike Spicer

The Green Arrow is left behind on the Justice League satellite while the rest of the team goes on an important mission. Oliver is less than thrilled, and righteously indignant about the situation as usual until an alien armada invades the satellite. Can Ollie stand alone against an alien onslaught before it reaches Earth? Acclaimed writer Stephanie Phillips (Harley Quinn) captures that “Denny O’Neil Green Arrow” voice, and this story is brought to life in gorgeous fashion by Christopher Mooneyham’s (Nightwing) retro/modern bronze age aesthetic.

• “Out of the Shadows”

Writer/Art: Mike Grell | Colors by Lovern Kindzerski

Legendary Green Arrow writer and artist Mike Grell return to the 1980s era of The Longbow Hunters. The Green Arrow must team up with the legendary anti-hero Shado to stop a shipment of smuggled guns from making it into Seattle. Depicting The Emerald Archer as only he can, Grell will remind readers why his take on Ollie Queen is still a Green standard.

• “The Arrow and the Song”

Writer: Ram V | Art: Christopher Mitten | Colors by Ivan Plascencia

This tale is a beautiful meditation on the love between Green Arrow and Black Canary through the years and the found family that they’ve created. Writer Ram V (Catwoman) puts together this beautiful story of love and how life takes turns you don’t expect. Gloriously brought to life by the work of Christopher Mitten (Batman: Arkham Unhinged) and Ivan Plascencia (The Flash).

• “One”

Writer: Brandon Thomas | Art: Jorge Corona | Colors: Matheus Lopes

We go right back to the mid-'90s with this story. Oliver Queen is dead. Connor Hawke is Green Arrow and he has to save the main Queen Industries building in Star City, the home of a business and family he was never part of, from a group of terrorists. Brought to you by Infinite Frontier and Future State writer Brandon Thomas (Future State: Aquaman) and amazingly drawn by Jorge Corona (We Are Robin).

• “Green Man and Autumn Son”

Writer: Devin Grayson | Art: Max Fiumara

Catwoman writer Devin Grayson and artist Max Fiumara shine a spotlight on Roy Harper, a.k.a Red Arrow, as he continues to manage his transition from “sidekick” to adult hero, along with single parenthood and his struggles with addiction and recovery.

• “Star City Star”

Writer/Art: Phil Hester | Inks by Ande Parks | Colors by Trish Mulvihill

Phil Hester drew nearly 50 issues of Green Arrow in the early 2000s, working with popular writers like Kevin Smith, Brad Meltzer and Judd Winnick. Here, Phil synthesizes what was so great about his run into a tremendous eight-page story. Green Arrow tries to save a young girl named Star who has been kidnapped but has to run through a gauntlet of his greatest villains and allies to get to her. Including: Onomatopoeia, Speedy (Mia Dearden), Green Lantern (Hal Jordan), Black Canary, Arsenal, Connor Hawke and Count Vertigo.

• “Happy Anniversary”

Writer: Vita Ayala | Art: Laura Braga | Colors: Adriano Lucas

This story focuses on the point in time where Green Arrow and Black Canary were married right before the New 52. On the day of their anniversary, the two are at each other’s throats and then Green Arrow gets kidnapped. Black Canary thinks the kidnapping is part of an anniversary game/present but quickly discovers that Green Arrow has REALLY been kidnapped by DEATHSTROKE and she has to save him. Vita Ayala (Future State: The Next Batman) writes a wonderful Mr. and Mrs. Smith-style action rom-com brought to life by Laura Braga (DC Comics Bombshells).

• “The Sympathy of the Woods”

Writer: Ben Percy | Art: Otto Schmidt

It’s the DC Rebirth Era, Green Arrow is feeling lost, the world is getting worse, and he doesn’t feel like he’s making enough of a difference. To cheer him up, Black Canary, Red Arrow (Emiko Queen), Diggle and Henry Fyffe try to throw him a party to remind him of the beautiful community he’s built. But what starts as a celebration will become a rescue mission as Green Arrow is hunted down by the Dark Archer known as MERLYN. From DC talents Ben Percy (Nightwing) and Otto Schmidt (Harley Quinn).

• “The Last Green Arrow Story”

Writer: Jeff Lemire | Art: Andrea Sorrentino | Colors: Jordie Bellaire

The acclaimed Green Arrow creative team from the New 52, New York Times Bestselling author Jeff Lemire (Sweet Tooth) and Andrea Sorrentino (Joker: Killer Smile) tell a transcendent final tale of Oliver Queen. In his older years, he requests to be left alone on the island where he was stranded so many decades ago. He’s gone there to connect to his own myth, his legacy, and to die in peace. But is it ever that simple for The Green Arrow?

Infinite Frontier: Secret Files #1

DC Comics | Black Label | $9.99

Writers/Art: Various | Cover: Bryan Hitch

Take a look inside Director Bones personal database for stories featuring Jade and Obsidian, the children of the original Green Lantern; Psycho-Pirate, the scourge of many a Crisis on many an Earth; President Superman, the Mutliverse’s ultimate beacon of hope; Roy Harper, back from the dead; and just who are the Totality ... ?! Featuring six stories set in DC’s Infinite Frontier!

The Captain's comments: Another anthology, starring one of my favorite characters: President Superman! That's enough for me to get excited, but it also seems to be introducing the Multiversal Justice League that I think will include Roy Harper as their archer and Barry Allen as their speedster. At least, I think that's where this is all going.

The Mighty Crusaders: The Shield #1 one-shot

Archie Comics | 32 pages | $3.99

Script: Rob Liefeld, David Gallaher | Art: Rob Liefeld, Jack Morelli | Cover A: Rob Liefeld | Cover B: Francesco Francavilla | Cover C: Aaron Lopresti | Cover D: David Mack | Cover E: Jerry Ordway | Cover F: Rob Liefeld (Top Secret) | Cover G: Sketch Variant | Cover H: Blank variant

THE SHIELD IS BACK! America’s first patriotic superhero, The Shield, has persevered through countless challenges and always manages to come out on top! But what happens when forces beyond anyone’s control threaten The Shield’s legacy of fighting for truth and justice? Follow Joe Higgins as The Shield (and get ready for some surprises!) in this new one-shot comic featuring art by Rob Liefeld and a story by David Gallaher.

The Captain's comments: This is the first in a series of four one-shots meant to Liefeldize the MLJ superheroes. I've been getting press releases on this book since last summer, so Archie seems pretty jazzed about it.

But does it surprise anybody that Liefeld, who was supposed to shepherd all four one-shots, has already quit?

Also, there's this. No idea what it is. (Except "badly drawn.") A cover? A pin-up? A splash page?

Parasomnia #1 (of 4)

Dark Horse | 32 pages | $3.99

Writer: Cullen Bunn | Art/Cover: Andrea Mutti | Variant: Rafael Albuquerque

After the disappearance of his son, one man becomes a captive in a nightmarish dreamscape in order to find him. As dreams and reality blur together in growing panic, a ruthless cult seeks to break down the barrier even further and rule the land of dreams. Can our hero and his son return to the real world, or will they be trapped forever in limbo?

The Captain's comments: Described as a "dark fantasy adventure," Parasomnia sounds interesting. But you know what sold me? Highwaymen. Dennis Moore, Dennis Moore, galloping through the sward ..."

Click here for preview at darkhorse.com.

The United States of Captain America #1 (of 5)

Marvel Comics | 40 pages | Teen+ | $4.99

Writer: Christopher Cantwell, Josh Trujillo | Art: Dale Eaglesham, Jan Bazaldua | Cover: Alex Ross | Variant: Nick Robles | Design variant: Jan Bazaldua | Stormbreakers variant: Carmen Carnero with colors by Alejandro Sanchez | Head Shot variant: Todd Nauck

It’s the ultimate Captain America team-up for the iconic Marvel hero’s 80th anniversary in THE UNITED STATES OF CAPTAIN AMERICA! This June, writer Christopher Cantwell and artist Dale Eaglesham will bring Steve Rogers, Sam Wilson, Bucky Barnes, and John Walker on a grand adventure across the county to recover Captain America’s stolen shield. Along the way, they’ll run into heroes who have been inspired to follow in Steve Roger’s footsteps. These fascinating new shield-bearers will offer an illuminating look at the very concepts that define Captain America and the powerful impact the hero has had on the world outside your window.

The Captain's comments: So, the four Caps are going to discover at least five other people running around dressed as Captain America, protecting their neighborhoods. Probably more.

Which, I have to say, is a great way to get killed. Don't take my word for it, go re-read Captain America (first series) #178-183, where a fella named Roscoe Simons dressed up as Captain America (Steve Rogers was going by Nomad at the time) and got hisself killed real good. So, this is a really stupid idea.

But the point, it appears, is to create a bunch of ethnic/minority/diversity Captains America. We'll get Gay Captain America in the first issue (barely in time for Pride Month), and Native American Captain America in the third issue. That's all I know about so far, but I imagine most of the other boxes on the census will get checked off as well.

I'm hoping Native American Captain America's battle cry is, "When will alla you white guys just go back where you came from?"

OTHER ITEMS OF INTEREST

The Art of Arkham Horror HC

Dark Horse | 192 pages | $39.99

Writer/Art: Asmodee

Inspired by the works of H.P. Lovecraft, the bizarre and terrifying town of Arkham, Massachusetts, is peopled with courageous townsfolk, wise mystics, and curious academics who seek to understand the unknowable ancient entities that dwell at the edge of our reality. This full color hardcover collection showcases dynamic illustrations of the investigators and their allies, as well as the monsters directly inspired by the Cthulhu Mythos — even the Ancient Ones themselves! Alongside the eldritch creatures and intrepid investigators, each brooding location is beautifully rendered in a large, lush format so that readers can examine every amazing detail.

The Captain's comments: I don't normally post about "art of" books, but this one sounds kinda cool.

Barbaric #1

Vault Comics | $3.99

Writer: Michael Moreci | Art/Cover A: Nathan Gooden| Cover B: Josh Hixon | Cover C: Tim Daniel

BARBARIC follows Owen the Barbarian, who has been cursed to do good with what remains of his life. His bloodthirsty weapon, Axe, has become his moral compass with a drinking problem. Together they wander the realm, foredoomed to help any who seek assistance. But there is one thing Owen hates more than a life with rules: Witches. Welcome to the skull-cracking, blood-splattering, mayhem-loving comic brave enough to ask: How can a man sworn to do good do so much violence? Hah! F***ing with you. It’s just…BARBARIC.

The Captain's comments: I was sold on posting this by looking at the preview, so take a peek and see what you think. I suspect it will mix sword-and-sorcery derring-do with broad humor. If it's not clear from the blurb above, Axe gets drunk on blood, and he craves it like an alcoholic craves booze.

And, yes, Cover C (below) is an homage to Conan the Barbarian #1 (Oct 1970). BWS really couldn't draw legs worth a hoot back then, could he?

Batman: White Knight Presents Harley Quinn HC

DC Comics | Black Label | 160 pages | $24.99

Writer: Katana Collins | Story: Katana Collins, Sean Murphy | Art: Matteo Scalera | Cover: Sean Murphy

Two years after the events of Batman: Curse of the White Knight, Azrael has wiped out criminals in Gotham, Jack Napier (formerly The Joker) is dead, Bruce Wayne (Batman) is in prison, and Harley Quinn is adjusting to life as a single mother, raising the twins she had with Jack.

But as new villains arise, Harley is forced to dance with madness once again and confront her own past with The Joker and Batman while helping the Gotham City police and an eager young FBI agent uncover the truth behind a series of gruesome murders.

This collection includes Batman: White Knight Presents Harley Quinn #1-6 and a story from Harley Quinn Black + White + Red Digital Chapter 6

The Captain's comments: The Baron asked last week if Harley Quinn was a hero now, and in this series, I believe she is. (There are actually two of them, and the other one is the murdery one.) In fact, with Jack "White Knight" Napier dead, Bruce "Dark Knight" Wayne in jail, and things looking grim for Robin on the cover, she's just about the only hero left in Gotham.

I've read the other two "White Knight" books, and even though I think Murphy is stretching this idea past its sell-by date, I'll get this one too, which will form a nice trilogy. If he goes for a fourth, though, I'm out.

Black Knight: Curse Ebony Blade #4 (of 5)

Marvel Comics | 32 pages | Teen+ | $3.99

Writer: Simon Spurrier | Art: Sergio Davila | Inks: Sean Parsons, Marc Deering | Colors: Arif Prinato, Chris Sotomayor, Andrew Crossley | Cover: Iban Coello, Jesus Aburtov | Connecting variant: Stephanie Hans

With new allies like Elsa Bloodstone and mysterious newcomer Jacks at his side, Dane is doing all he can to prevent the magical Ebony Blade from falling into his ancient foe Mordred’s hands. But Dane’s struggle for control of his destiny will force him to confront the inner darkness that fuels his powers and before the dust settles, he’ll have to face hard truths about himself, the Ebony Blade, and the entire history of the Black Knight.

The Captain's comments: Since this mini doesn't end until next month, I can only assume I was sent a press release for this issue to tout the connecting covers by Stephanie Hans, which I don't think we've seen before. The pentaptych they form can be seen below.

Cable #11

Marvel Comics | 32 pages | Teen+ | $3.99

Writer: Gerry Duggan | Art/Cover: Phil Noto

Summers End!

Some summers seem like they will never end. And some end too soon.

The Captain's comments: The practical thing to take away from that melodramatic "Summers End" line is that this iteration of Cable is coming to an end with issue #12. And it appears from the cover to that issue (above, completing a duotych), that Old Man Cable is coming back.

Which is a relief. Kid Cable never clicked with me, especially since teenage mutants are a dime a dozen. Whereas, by contrast, grizzled veteran mutants are thin on the ground. Three cheers for the grouchy, stabby Cable! Or at least one cheer. He'd probably kill you if you went all the way to three.

Department of Truth #10

Image Comics | Mature | $3.99

Writer: James Tynion IV | Art/Cover A: Martin Simmonds | Cover B: Vincenzo Riccardi | Cover C Michael Dialynas

In The Department of Truth #10, some fictions manifest in reality as dangerous, half-formed things. The Department of Truth relies on hunters to track down and contain these wild tulpas before they become too real. It's time for Cole Turner to see this side of the job firsthand. It's time for Cole Turner to join his first Bigfoot hunt.

The Captain's comments: The hunt for Bigfoot is on! (I almost said, "The game's a-big-foot," but that seemed too on the nose.) If you're wavering on Department of Truth, this two-parter, which will explain how Cryptids fit into the larger DoT mythology, is a cheap on-ramp. For my part, I'm quite enjoying the book.

EC Archives: Saddle Justice HC

Dark Horse | 208 pages | $49.99

Writer: Al Feldstein | Art: Johnny Craig, Graham Ingels, Henry Kiefer, Stan Asch, Ed Schwartz | Colors: Marie Severin, Carlos Badilla

Daring sheriffs take on the meanest outlaws and brave the roughest terrain in this collection of classic western stories, advertised as “true and terrific.”

This hardcover volume collects the complete run of Saddle Justice, recolored digitally using the original palette, featuring art by legendary comics talents Johnny Craig, Graham Ingels, Stan Asch, and more!

The Captain's comments: I know a number of us are collecting all of these — including me! Here's a heads up that we're one book closer to a complete EC library.

Everyone Is Tulip GN

Dark Horse | 184 pages | 16+ | $19.99

Writer: Dave Baker | Art/Cover: Nicole Goux

Becca’s dreams of fame seem to have come true when an internet performance-art video she stars in goes viral overnight. But she quickly discovers the allure and danger of sudden stardom. From the creative team of F*ck Off Squad comes a psychological exploration of the modern media frontier and the unique pitfalls that come with internet fame.

The Captain's comments: This was inevitable: This appears to be a complex, character-rich storyline that I should love, but couldn't care less about, because I grew up before all these online shenanigans. I'll probably read it anyway, but it won't mean as much to me as it will for These Kids Today™, for whom Internet fame is still both possible and desirable.

The Mystery of the Meanest Teacher: A Johnny Constantine Graphic Novel TPB

DC Comics | 144 pages | 5.5" x 8" | $9.99

Writer: Ryan North | Illustrations/Colors: Derek Char | Letters: Wes Abbot

After angering a number of hostile spirits in England, 13-year-old magician Johnny Constantine has to find a way out of the country. Persuading his parents to send him to America, John arrives at the Junior Success Boarding School in Salem, Massachusetts. But once there, he finds himself to be something of an outcast. And he is convinced that his homeroom teacher really has it in for him. Worse, he’s sure she’s really a witch.

Fortunately, John is able to find one kindred spirit at school with whom he’s able to form an alliance — another misfit named Anna, who also happens to have her own developing magical powers. John recruits Anna in his efforts to uncover the truth about Ms. Kayla and expose the meanest teacher’s real identity to the world. Joined by a friendly demon named Etrigan, these two amateur sleuths will uncover clues and stumble upon forces beyond their control in a humorous series of misadventures.

The Captain's comments: I confess, I'm really curious how they can clean up Constantine enough for a YA graphic novel, and for him to still be Constantine. Maybe they can't! I guess we'll find out.

Shang-Chi #2

Marvel Comics | 32 pages | Teen+ $3.99

Writer: Gene Luen Yang | Art: Dike Ruan | Colors: Triona Farrell | Letters: VC's Travis Lanham | Cover: Leinil Francis Yu with colors by Sunny Gho | Variant: Michael Cho | Variant: Peach Momoko | Spider-Man Villains variant: Natacha Bustos

SHANG-CHI VS. CAPTAIN AMERICA!

There's a Cosmic Cube for sale, and everyone from Hydra to AIM to the Hand is ready to pay up for it. But Shang-Chi and his Five Weapons Society might outbid them! Unless a certain Star-Spangled Avenger has anything to say about it ...

Get your first look at LADY IRON FAN on Michael Cho’s cover for SHANG-CHI #2, debuting on June 30th! Using psychic abilities to control an arsenal of razor-sharp fan weaponry, this deadly new enemy is also in command of a powerful criminal organization of her own, the likes of which rivals those of Hydra and AIM!

The Captain's comments: As noted last month, each of the first five issues of the latest Shang-Chi series will have a major guest star. Last month was Spider-Man, this month is Captain America. That's fine with me; without MI-6 and the "games of deceit and death" of the original Master of Kung Fu series, Shang-Chi is just another Karate Kid. He needs a context to work within, and other characters to bounce off of.

For the record, Gene Luen Yang says Lady Iron Fan is based on Princess Iron Fan, a character from the 16th century Chinese novel Journey to the West.

That Texas Blood #7

Image Comics | Mature | $3.99

Writer: Chris Condon | Art/Cover: Jacob Phillips | Variant: Marc Aspinall

Fan-favorite writer Chris Condon and artist Jacob Phillips return to the popular crime series That Texas Blood for an all new story arc this June from Image Comics. That Texas Blood #7 will pick up the story after volume one’s traumatic and bloody conclusion and drop readers straight into a harrowing new chapter.

The Captain's comments: I was sent a press release to alert me to a new storyline in That Texas Blood, and I confess it worked: I'm going to give the series a try when I get a chance. It appears to be a weird Western, which I usually enjoy.

CONTINUING EVENTS

'THE CHAMELEON CONSPIRACY' PART 4

Giant-Size Amazing Spider-Man: Chameleon Conspiracy #1

Marvel Comics | 56 pages | Teen+ | $5.99

Writer: Nick Spencer | Art: Carlos Gomez | Cover: Mark Bagley | Variant: Ryan Stegman

The epic conclusion of THE CHAMELEON CONSPIRACY! If you thought the end of "King's Ransom" shook Spider-Man to the core, you better think again as this ending will level things up.

The Captain's comments: I don't know how important this story can be, since Marvel has already announced that Ben Reilly will take over as Spidey with Amazing Spider-Man #75. Maybe it's this story that convinces Parker to hang up the mask ...? Those who are reading this series, feel free to chime in.

HELLFIRE GALA WEEK 5

X-Factor #10

Marvel

Writer: Leah Williams | Art: David Baldeón | Cover: Ivan Shavrin | Connecting variant: Russell Dauterman | Cyclops Character Design variant: Russell Dauterman | Pride Month variant featuring Northstar: Phil Jimenez | Character Design variant: David Baldeón

THE LAST DANCE!

At the Hellfire Gala, SECRETS WILL BE REVEALED! VENGEANCE WILL BE HAD. And someone’s number is up. You’ll never guess whose.

The Captain's comments: The party's over. Now comes the hangover, which will probably include the nations of men becoming very annoyed by the Arrakii unilaterally relegating them to second-class status.

But there's more: Somebody's going to die in this issue, resulting in "The Trial of Magneto." Since it's not unlawful to kill a fellow mutant, it must be a human — and the implication is that it will be his faux daughter, Scarlet Witch. Would they really do that with WandaVision having made the character so popular? Beats me. Guess I'll have to read it.

INFINITE DESTINIES PART 3

Black Cat Annual #1

Marvel Comics | 40 pages | Teen+ | $4.99

Writer: Jed MacKay | Art: Joey Vazquez | Cover: C.F. Villa | Variant: Travis Charest | Connecting variant: Ron Lim

"INFINITE DESTINIES" CONTINUES!

Felicia Hardy's vacation is interrupted when a layover in South Korea turns into an insane caper. This caper is a deadly journey across Seoul, where she comes face to face with Taegukgi, White Fox and Tiger Division (from TASKMASTER #3)! And what does this have to do with the Infinity Stones? Find out this June!

ALSO IN THIS ISSUE: Part 3 (of 8) of "Infinite Fury"!

The Captain's comments: When did Black Cat become a major player? I seem to have missed all that. I've always considered her a minor Catwoman swipe.

PRIDE MONTH VARIANT COVERS

Star Wars: Doctor Aphra #11

Pride variant: Jan Bazaldua with colors by Rachelle Rosenberg

Star Wars: The High Republic #6

Pride variant: Javier Garron

STAR WARS: WAR OF THE BOUNTY HUNTERS WEEK 9

Marvel Comics | $3.99

Writer: Alyssa Wong | Art: Minkyu Jung | Cover: Sara Pichelli | Pride variant: Jan Bazaldua with colors by Rachelle Rosenberg

MYSTERIES ABOUND ABOARD A DURGE-ANGED SHIP! 

DOCTOR APHRA and SANA STARROS discover an eerie abandoned ship while on a new mission from DOMINA TAGGE. But on board they will come face-to-face with a nightmarish horror not seen in the galaxy for untold eons. And then there's ...THE FEARSOME BOUNTY HUNTER DURGE!

The Captain's comments: This story is like the Energizer Bunny. It never stops!

WHAT TH--?

Another History of Art HC

Fantagraphics | $24.99

Writer/Art: Anita Kunz

The award-winning artist Anita Kunz's depicts the most iconic paintings in the history of art — as if they had been painted by women. Conceived with delicious wit, and an eye for the telling detail, Kunz's re-creations are not only stunning paintings in their own right but a sly, social commentary on the male-dominated history of Western civilization. Included, on each page opposite the painting, is a single paragraph biography of each woman artist. Another History of Art is a brilliantly satirical counterfactual history of art conceived, written and painted by one of our most accomplished contemporary artists.

The Captain's comments: I got an early look at this, and I think the PR overplays the gender angle. Gender really isn't much of an issue, aside from the feminizing of male names ("Thomasina Gainsborough"). Mainly, it's just straight up silliness, with (for example) Gainsborough's "The Blue Boy" having Dopey's face, Botticelli's "Three Graces" re-painted as "Three Gibbons" (although it's actually two gibbons and a woman) and Olive Oyl and Popeye replacing Mary and Jesus in Michelangelo's "Pieta." In fact, cartoon figures like Mickey Mouse and monkeys play a big role in most of the paintings.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Tea Time #1

BOOM! | $7.99

The Captain's comments: A one-shot special starring Giles. I never even finished the TV show, but maybe it's your jam.

Click here for a preview.

Chibi-Usagi: Attack of the Heebie Chibis

IDW | 120 pages | $12.99

Writers: Stan Sakai, Julie Fujii Sakai | Art/Cover: Julie Fujii Sakai

The rich world of Usagi Yojimbo, now more accessible to readers of all ages in this chibi-style original graphic novel.

Stan Sakai's beloved rabbit samurai has won countless fans (and awards!) over his 35-year history, thanks to a clever blend of thrilling action, heartwarming characters, and a realistic portrayal of Japanese culture. Chibi-Usagi brings these fun and thoughtful stories to middle-grade readers as an original graphic novel packed with adorable art and captivating energy.

While fishing for freshwater eels, Chibi-Usagi, Tomoe, and Gen rescue a Dogu, a clay creature from Japan's prehistory. The Dogu's village has been enslaved by the Salamander King and his Heebie-Chibi minions and forced to work in their mines. Chibi-Usagi and his friends must rescue the Dogu people and eliminate the threat of the Salamander King forever in this feature-length story of adventure, humor, and slippery eels.

The Captain's comments: So, a samurai story is told using anthropomorphic animals, and then becomes a samurai story told using anthropomorphic animals who are chibis. The title, of course, is a play on "heebie-jeebies." Although "Heebie" comes way too close to an ethnic slur for comfort.

But I think we've passed the point where cognitive analysis is useful.

Factory Summers HC

Drawn & Quarterly | $22.95

The Captain's comments: A memoir about working a summer job at a paper mill as a teenager. A factory? Are they trying to be boring? Even The Guardian review trying to convince me it's worth reading admits Factory Summers "could not be less exotic if it tried." Seriously, I have much better summer job stories of my own. Pass.

Jack Kirby Fantastic Four Artisan Edition TPB

IDW | $39.99

The Captain's comments: Late '60s stories from the King, if you need them in yet another format.

Jungle Fantasy Fauna #1The Captain's comments: This book has 17 covers at Diamond, roughly half of which they won't show (because they're nude variants). Frankly, I wouldn't feel comfortable posting most of the non-nude covers, because they definitely slide over the line to the porny side of the road. The one above, despite the crotch shot, is one of the milder covers.

Sigh. Not only am I embarrassed that this business model exists in our small niche hobby, but I'm a little baffled that it works — can't These Kids Today™ get all the nekkid ladeez they want on the Internet?

Kane & Able TPB

Image Comics | 72 pages | $12.99

Writers/Art/Cover: Shaky Kane, Krent Able

Comic book wise guys Shaky Kane (The Beef) and Krent Able (Vice), serve up a summer dump cake of genre-busting mischief and masked mayhem in this oversized anthology of never-before-published strips.

"This one had to happen! In the tradition of Godzilla and Kong, and Siegfried and Roy. Kane and Able have finally teamed up to ride the Action Park white-knuckle-head flume of comic book kulture! Only a book this big could do it justice!" said Kane.

Readers will slip in and out of subconsciousness with the “Astonishing Shield Bug”, surf the Fleshwave with Black Fur in “Who Fears The Deathroach?”, journey into the sub-basement in the gasoline-tinged “Dustmites,” and ride into the Creepzone with Nightmare and Sleepy in the aptly named “Creepzone”!

"This book is everything I look for in a comic reading experience — cool art and original and unique stories."  — Geoff Darrow 

The Captain's comments: This collection is named for the creators. Have we ever seen that before? I can think of books with the creators' names included in the title (Outcast by Kirkman & Azaceta, Mirk Andolfo's Mercy), but I can't think of a title offhand where it's just the creators' names alone.

Anyway, given the preview below, I assume all four stories will be pretty out there. If that's your jam, here ya go.

Knights Of The Dinner Table #284

The Captain's comments: I did a double-take at this homage to Flash #184 (Dec 1968). That's a pretty deep dive!

Nightmares of Providence #1 one-shot

The Captain's comments: This 64-pager is evidently all splash pages — maybe pin-ups is a better word — by the artists Daniel Gete, Gabriel Andrade, Ivan Rodriguez and Christian Zanier, all pertaining to Alan Moore's Providence series. As far as I can tell, Moore has no involvement in this project. B&W, $6.99.

Red Room #2

The Captain's comments: Yep, another homage to Love and Rockets #1 (Sep 1982). Collect 'em all!

Walking Dead Deluxe #7-12 2nd Ptg

Image Comics | Mature | $3.99 each

Writer: Robert Kirkman | Art: Charlie Adlard | Covers: David Finch, Dave McCaig | 1:25 "raw" incentive variants: David Finch

The Captain's comments: I don't usually list second printings any more, but this is such an elaborate (and well-done) series of variant covers that I thought they were worth posting. At the same time, I feel a little used, because this is a second printing of a reprint! To paraphrase Jeff of Earth-J, how many versions of a given comic book do we need?

THE FULL LIST

BOOM! STUDIOS

Buffy The Vampire Slayer: Tea Time #1

Dune: House Atreides #8 (of 12)

Mega Man: Fully Charged TPB

Power Rangers Unlted: Edge of Darkness #1

Specter Inspectors #5 (of 5)

We Only Find Them When They’re Dead #7

DARK HORSE COMICS

Art of Arkham Horror HC

EC Archives Saddle Justice HC

Everyone Is Tulip TPB

Far Cry: Rite of Passage #2 (of 3)               

Witcher: Witch’s Lament #2 (of 4)

DC COMICS

Batman & Scooby-Doo Mysteries Extravaganza #1

Batman by John Ridley the Deluxe Edition HC

Batman: White Knight Presents Harley Quinn HC

Catwoman 2021 Annual #1

Flash by Mark Waid Book 8 TPB

Future State Superman TPB

Green Arrow 80th Anniversary 100-Page Super-Spectacular #1

Infinite Frontier Secret Files #1

Mystery of the Meanest Teacher: A Johnny Constantine Graphic Novel TPB

Space Jam: A New Legacy TPB

Suicide Squad: Casualties of War TPB

Teen Titans Academy 2021 Yearbook #1

DYNAMITE

Vampirella #21

IDW PUBLISHING

Canto & the City of Giants #3 (of 3)          

Chained to the Grave #4 (of 5)

Dungeons & Dragons: Fell’s Five TPB

Godzilla Rivals vs Hedorah

Jack Kirby Fantastic Four Artisan Edition TPB

Marvel Action Captain Marvel #4

Marvel Action Spider-Man #3

My Little Pony/Transformers II #3 (of 4)

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW Collection Vol 1 HC Vol 1

Star Trek Year Five #21  

Star Wars Adventures: Weapon of a Jedi #2 (of 2)

TMNT: Urban Legends Vol 2 TPB

Transformers: Beast Wars #5

Usagi Yojimbo: Dragon Bellow Conspiracy #1 (of 6)

IMAGE COMICS

Crossover #7

Department of Truth #10

Kane & Able TPB

Made in Korea #2 (of 6)

Monstress #35

Outcast by Kirkman & Azaceta Book 4 HC

Spawn #319

That Texas Blood #7

Two Moons #5

Walking Dead Deluxe #10 2nd Ptg

Walking Dead Dlx #11 2nd Ptg

Walking Dead Dlx #12 2nd Ptg

Walking Dead Dlx #7 2nd Ptg

Walking Dead Dlx #8 2nd Ptg

Walking Dead Dlx #9 2nd Ptg

MARVEL COMICS

Avengers by Jason Aaron Vol 8: Enter the Phoenix TPB

Avengers Mech Strike #4 (of 5)

Beta Ray Bill #4 (of 5)

Black Cat Annual #1

Black Knight: Curse Ebony Blade #4 (of 5)              $3.99

Black Widow #8

Cable #11

Daredevil #31

Eternals #5

Giant-Size Amazing Spider-Man Chameleon Conspiracy #1

King in Black TPB

MODOK: Head Games TPB

Reign of X Vol 1 TPB

Shang-Chi #2

Star Wars: High Republic #6

The Marvels #3

United States of Captain America #1 (of 5)

X-Factor #10

X-Men: Age of Apocalypse Omnibus HC

OTHER COMICS & GRAPHIC NOVELS

20 Fists #3 (of 3)

After School Bitchcraft Vol 2 GN

Another History of Art HC

Archie 80th Anniversary Jumbo Comics Digest #3

Ascendance of A Bookworm Vol 6 Part 1 GN

Athena: Goddess of Wisdom and War

Autumnal #8

Barbaric #1 Cvr D Seeley Polybag Var       $5.99

Blade Runner 2029 #5

Blowtorch #2 (of 5)

Boston Metaphysical Society Scourge Mechanical Men one-shot

Broken Gargoyes Sin and Virtue #1

Burt the Beetle Doesn`t Bite GN

By the Horns #3 (of 7)

Carpenter Tales of Sci-Fi Hell #3 (of 8)

Certain Magical Index Vol 23 GN

Chess #2 (of 5)

Cult of Dracula #4 (of 6)

Darling #1

Dear Noman Vol 2 GN

Detective Is Already Dead Vol 1 GN

Divine Retribution one-shot

Duplicant #2 (of 5)

Factory Summers HC

Farewell to My Alter GN

Freak Snow #2

Girls of Dimension 13 #3

Gung Ho: Anger #2

Heterogenia Linguistico Vol 3 GN

High School Prodigies Have It Easy Another World Vol 10 GN

Honor and Curse #12

Honor Student at Magic High School Vol 11 GN

I Cannot Reach You Vol 2 GN

I Shall Survive Using Potions Vol 4 GN

If the RPG World Had Social Media Vol 1 GN

I’ve Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years Maxed Out Vol 6 GN

Jop and Blip Wanna Know: Can You Hear a Penguin Fart on Mars GN

Jungle Fantasy Fauna #1

Kaijumax Season 6 #2

Kakegurui Twin Vol 10 GN

Knights Of The Dinner Table #284

La Muerta Retailiation one-shot

Love At Fourteen Vol 10 GN

Machine Girl Vol 1 TPB

Midnight Western Theatre #2 (of 5)

Mieruko-Chan Gn Vol 3

Mighty Crusaders: The Shield one-shot

Money Shot #12

Monstrous Heartbreak Blood Loss #2 (of 3)

Nightmares of Providence #1

Ninjas & Robots #8

Oz Annual Patchwork Girl one-shot

Play It Cool Guys Vol 2 GN

Rebecca And Lucie GN

Red Room #2

Redemption #5

Royal Tutor Vol 15 GN

Sacrificial Princess & King Beasts Vol 13 GN

Seis Cuerdas Defender of Mexico #2 (of 3)

Strangers in Cerebus one-shot

Strawberry Fields Once Again Vol 3 GN

Street Fighter 2021 Sci-Fi Fantasy Special #1

Sword Art Online Project Alicization Vol 3 GN

Swords of Cerebus in Hell Vol 3 TPB

Tarot Witch of the Black Rose #128

They Fell From the Sky #5

Toilet Bound Hanako Kun Vol 9 GN

Trinity Seven 7 Magicians Vol 23 GN

Under the Air GN

Under the Cottonwood Tree GN

Undone by Blood Other Side of Eden #4

Vampire the Masquerade #9

White #1

White Lily #5

Witch Part 8 Teach 2b Witch Vol 2 GN

Witchblood #4

World of Betty & Veronica Jumbo Comics Digest #6

X-Venture Xplorers Vol 3: Fish Of Fury HC

You Promised Me Darkness #3

Youth Romantic Comedy Wrong Expected Vol 15 GN

Yuki Vs Panda #2

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• But does it surprise anybody that Liefeld, who was supposed to shepherd all four one-shots, has already quit?

He quit before I even knew he was there.

The United States of Captain America #1 (of 5) - I'm picking this up. Now a friend of mine, who will speculate on comics, pre-paid for 50 copies of the first issue.

Barbaric #1 - I was intrigued enough by this to pre-order it. The only other Vault series I bought was Engine Ward, and I liked that well enough.

Batman: White Knight Presents Harley Quinn - I actually skipped the second White Knight series, but got this one. For me personally, I liked this better than the first series.

That Texas Blood #7 - I would say this is more Western crime than weird Western. Think No Country for Old Men or Hell and High Water. It is great though. Its kind of neat seeing Jacob Phillips follow in his father's crime art footsteps.

Giant-Size Amazing Spider-Man: Chameleon Conspiracy #1 - Well I've been reading this, and just found out Spider-man has a sister. I don't think I'll be of much help. I am gone after this storyline though, too much of the Osborne's for me.

• Yeah, I learned about the sister from the blurbs myself. I thought Parker had a sister for a little while but it turned out to be fake, like that time his parents showed up. I guess she turned out to not be fake. *shrug* "Not My Spider-Man."

Thanks for all the other recommendations. You were wise to skip the second "White Knight"series -- I thought it was boring.

This reply was deleted.