GENRE TV

The biggest news on the small screen this week is the debut of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier on Friday, March 19. I never thought I'd say this, but can it keep up the level of quality we enjoyed in WandaVision? It doesn't seem at all the same kind of show — the previews make it look more like an actioner — but the cast is impressive. Not only do Anthony Mackie and Sebastian Stan return as the title characters, but Emily VanCamp reprises Agent 13 and Daniel Bruhl returns as Zemo. Plus, Wyatt Russell brings USAgent to the screen, and the villains are the Flag-Smashers.

Here's some fun: The rumor mill says this show will set up the Thunderbolts, so watch to see if it's true. Not a whole lot of new characters would have to be created, as the MCU already has potential members Zemo, Taskmaster, Ghost and Red Hulk (assuming 'Thunderbolt' Ross gets a gamma upgrade).

• Black Lightning, "The Book of Ruin Chapter Two" (CW, March 15)
  • Snowpiercer, "The Eternal Engineer" (TNT, March 15)
  • Debris, "Solar Winds" (NBC, March 15)
  • Superman and Lois, "The Beacon" (CW, March 16)
  • The Flash, "Mother" (CW, March 16)
  • Riverdale, "Chapter Eighty-Four: Lock & Key" (CW, March 17)
  • Resident Alien, "The End of the World as We Know It" (Syfy, March 17)
  • Falcon and Winter Soldier (Disney+, March 19)
  • Wynonna Earp, "Crazy" (Syfy, March 19)
  • For All Mankind, "The Weight" (Prime, March 19)
  • The Walking Dead, “Splinter” (AMC, March 21)
  • Pennyworth, "The Bloody Mary" (Epix, March 21)

GENRE MOVIES

Zack Snyder's Justice League (March 18, HBO Max)

I assume every fan already knows about this, so I don't need to add much. Also, I'm a bit conflicted, as I have loathed Snyder's other films in the DCEU (Man of Steel, Batman v Superman) for missing completely Superman's essential character — which is what provides his appeal. (At least to me.) And it's four hours long ... that's a lot of Zack Snyder, known more for bombast and nihilism than engaging characters and subtle writing.

Given the run time, we're going to get a lot more background on the existing Leaguers (especially Flash and Cyborg), and be introduced to a Martian Manhunter (Henry Lennix), finally justifying the "Unite the Seven" advertising from the original premiere. I haven't heard of Green Lantern making an appearance, but we will get villains DeSaad (Peter Guinness), Steppenwolf (Ciaran Hinds), Darkseid (Ray Porter), Lex Luthor (Jesse Eisenberg), Deathstroke (Ray Manganiella) and The Joker (Jared Leto), as well as brief scenes with a lot of supporting characters, such as Mera (Amber Heard), Vulko (Willem DaFoe), Lois Lane (Amy Adams), Iris West (Kiersey Clemons), Silas Stone (Joe Morton), Commission Gordon (J.K. Simmons), Queen Hippolyta (Connie Nielsen), Martha Kent (Diane Lane) and Alfred (Jeremy Irons).  

Exodus (March 19, VOD/Digital)

This straight-to-video sci-fi flick doesn't star anyone I've heard of, but I'll quote the blurb anyway: "In a post-rapture world, an enforcer who prevents defections from the struggling populace, discovers a VHS tape that proves the existence of a portal to paradise. He embarks on a journey to the door, evading vengeful pursuers along the way."

CROSSOVERS/EVENTS

Deadpool Dirty 30

Marvel continues to celebrate Deadpool's 30th anniversary (last week featured the Deadpool's Nerdy 30 one-shot) with 30 covers by DP's co-creator Rob Liefeld. Here are the ones we know about:

March 17: X-Force #18

April 7: Immortal Hulk #45

April 28: Miles Morales: Spider-Man #25

May 12: Venom #35

May 26: X-Men Legends #4

Call me cynical, but given Liefeld's notorious penchant for missing deadlines and failing to finish projects, we might expect the last few covers when Deadpool turns 40, if at all.

Infinite Frontier

Flash #768 and Teen Titans Academy #1 were scheduled to run this week in the solicitations, but they have apparently been bumped. Here are the rest of the Infinite Frontier debuts for this week:

Catwoman #29

Writer: Ram V • Art: Fernando Blanco • Cover: Joëlle Jones • Card stock variant: Jenny Frison

DC Comics • $3.99 • 32 pages

The Feline Fatale vs. The Riddler. Doesn't excite me, but OK. Love those covers, though!

Justice League #59

Writer: Brian Michael Bendis • Art/Cover: David Marquez • Variant: Kael Ngu • Zach Snyder's Justice League variants (6): Lee Bermejo

Backup story writer: Ram V • Backup story art: Xermanico

DC Comics • $4.99 • 40 pages

The new lineup includes Superman, Batman, the Flash, Hawkgirl, Aquaman, Hippolyta and Naomi. But the real surprise is Black Adam. Here's what new writer Brian Michael Bendis had to say about it:

"The [character] DC came to me [with] early was Black Adam," Bendis told a group of journalists, including SYFY WIRE, during a roundtable event ahead of his Justice League launch. "They were like 'Hey, is that someone you think you've got a feeling for?' Because that's a character that obviously is going to be grabbing headlines for the next year or two, and I did. I really liked that idea. It immediately challenged me and made me think back to what we were doing with Doctor Doom in Iron Man. He's a very different character than Victor von Doom and I wanted to see what we could do in that regard, and how his appearance really challenges the idea of the Justice League and these teammates that have known each other for a very long time, some of which, they are ride or die teammates. And then here comes this person that does really challenge everything around them. So that got very exciting."

The backup story features Justice League Dark, which is fine by me, as it's my favorite Justice League spin-off.

Also, given the premiere of Zack Snyder's Justice League in the same week, you can't fault DC for celebrating with six related variant covers, by Lee Bermejo, Jim Lee and Liam Sharp.

Nightwing #78

Writer: Tom Taylor • Art/Cover: Bruno Redondo • Variant: Skan

DC Comics • $3.99 • 32 pages

“This is the perfect time for a Nightwing story,” said new writer Tom Taylor, who has killed Dick Grayson twice (Injustice, DCeased). “It’s the right time for a charming, entertaining, positive force for good standing with the underrepresented, and pushing back against corruption and greed.”

The new series stars Dick, Batgirl (presumably Barbara Gordon, but they don't say) and a three-legged puppy patrol Blüdhaven. There's a new mayor named Zucco to complicated things.

Superman: Red & Blue #1 (of 6)

Writers: John Ridley, Wes Craig, Brandon Easton, Dan Watters, Marguerite Bennett • Art: Clayton Henry, Wes Craig, Steve Lieber, Dani, Jill Thompson • Cover: Gary Frank • Variant: Lee Bermejo • Variant: Yoshitaka Amano

DC Comics • Prestige format • $5.99 • 40 pages

I can see the thinking at the DC offices: "Batman: Black & White has been successful with our #1 character, so let's try the same thing with our #2 character, with his signature colors."

I'm good with that. One of the reasons that Superman is #2 — instead of #1, like he used to be — is that so little has been done with him for decades. Maybe this will expand his supporting cast, story springboards and appeal. And it's only six issues, so if it doesn't work, what's the harm?

King in Black

King in Black: Spider-Man #1

Writer: Jed MacKay • Art: Michele Bandini • Cover: Carlos Gomez • Rob Liefeld • Federico Vincentini

Marvel Comics • Teen+ • $4.99

This. Will. Never. End.

Sword #4

Writer: Al Ewing • Art/Cover: Valerio Schiti

Marvel Comics • Teen+ • $3.99

I'm currently buying the X-books (out of habit, I think), so I'll have to read this one. Feh.

FIRST ISSUES & HIGHLIGHTS

Bequest #1

Writer: Tim Seeley • Art/Cover: Freddie Williams II

Aftershock Comics • $4.99

"Welcome to the high fantasy world of Tangea! A land where wizards and warriors battle dragons in dark dank dungeons! Where thieves pillage ancient ruins and priests answer the au-dible words of their great gods! Welcome to Chicago, Illinois! Where the magical items from Tangea are being traded on the black market and are messing everything up. Now, a group of Tangea adventurers must go undercover in our modern world to stop artifacts and monsters from falling into the wrong hands. But how will they fare in a world without wizards and warriors? A world without heroes?"

I think they're going to discover that swords are frowned upon in Chicago.

Curse of the Ebony Blade #1 (of 5)

Writer: Simon Spurrier • Art: Sergio Davila • Iban Coello •Juan Cabal • Peach Momoko • Head Shot variant: Todd Nauck • Variant: Ron Lim

Marvel Comics • Teen+ • $3.99

I love the look of the Black Knight, but as we've discussed here before, swords are problematic for superheroes, because they're, you know, lethal. Here's what writer Simon Spurrier has to say:

“Having enjoyed myself a positively indecent amount while writing King in Black: The Black Knight, I found that I was even more fascinated by the central character — Dane Whitman — than I'd realised. The surprising new take on him which we present in the one-shot opened so many new doors. Dane and his tangled lore are a treasure trove for anyone fascinated by story, mythology, folklore and psychology — all of which are very much My Bag — not to mention the simple thrill of seeing a not-totally-well-adjusted man flying around on a winged warhorse with one of the world's most devastating magical weapons in his hand.

“I started to see endless opportunities for exploration — I started to sense that this character deserves to be a far bigger deal than he is — and my editor Tom Groneman agreed. What's emerged is a fascinating, uberdark story which drips with horror and humor in equal measure, rummaging deep into the (often maddeningly confused) threads of canon surrounding the Black Knight, to disentangle, clarify and twiiiiiiiissssttt everything you thought you knew about this hero. Along the way we're having an old riotous time with Arthurian Legend — presenting a vision of Camelot unlike any you've seen before — and throwing a whole helmetful of big marvel ideas and characters at poor old Dane, to see how far he'll go before he breaks.

“But that's sort of the point of this character, when you get right down to it. The more broken he gets, the stronger he becomes.”

B.P.R.D. The Devil You Know Omnibus HC

Writers: Mike Mignola, Scott Allie • Art: Laurence Campbell, Sebastian Fiumara, Christopher Mitten • Colorist: Dave Stewart • Cover: Mike Mignola

Dark Horse • 440 pages • 6 5/8" x 10 3/16" • $39.99

I've been waiting for this for a while. Finally, an end to the frogs story! And to B.P.R.D. as well, which is kinda sad.

Captain America Tribute #1

Writers: Joe Simon, Stan Lee, Jack Kirby • Art: Various • Cover: • Variant: Mark Brooks

Marvel Comics • Teen • $6.99

I love this idea: Current artists re-interpreting Captain America Comics #1 and Avengers #4. The cover alone are something else!

Count TPB

Writer/Art/Cover: Ibrahim Moustafa

Humanoids $19.99

This graphic novel takes The Count of Monte Cristo and puts it in a science fiction setting. Sounds interesting. I just wish I had this handy for my sixth-grade book report!

Maria Llovet's Eros/Pysche #1

Writer/Art: Maria Llovet • Cover: Mirka Andolfo

Ablaze • $3.99

Lesbians and witchery at a female boarding school. Isn't that what every 12-year-old boy suspects anyway?

I really like the cover art, so I might pick it up if the interior is similar.

The Fall TPB

Writer/Art/Cover: Jared Muralt

Image Comics • $16.99

This collects The Fall #1-6, a story of a family surviving the collapse of civilization. I didn't read The Fall and the information provided doesn't say what the apocalypse is or what caused it, which is kinda becoming the norm in post-apocalyptic stories.

Freaks of the Heartland TPB (Second Edition)

Writer: Steve Niles • Art/Cover: Greg Ruth

Dark Horse • 160 pages • 6 5/8" x 10 3/16" • $19.99

Steve Niles tells the story of a kid who has to keep his monstrous brother hidden in the barn. Niles wrote Thirty Days of Night, so I trust him to scare the bejeezus out of me.

Invincible #1 re-release

Writer: Robert Kirkman • Art: Cory Walker, Bill Crabtree • Cover: Ryan Ottley, Nathan Fairbairn

Image Comics • $3.99

The animated adaptation arrives in a couple of weeks, which is why I assume this re-release has happened. The first issue doesn't really tell you where this series is going to go — there's a huge twist about six issues in — but it does give us Rex Plode and Atom Eve, two of the many punny names in the series.

Orphan and the Five Beasts #1 (of 4)

Writer/Art/Cover: James Stokoe

Dark Horse • 32 pages • $3.99

I'd hoped to have read this already so I could tell you more, but I lost the weekend due to unexpected circumstances. It's by James Stokoe, whose Aliens: Dead Orbit I rather enjoyed. The ending was telegraphed, but I like this sort of hyper-detailed artwork.

Revolver TPB

Writer/Art/Cover: Matt Kindt

DC Comics Black Label • 192 pages • Ages 17+ • $19.99

I thought this looked familiar, and sure enough, the hardback is on my shelf from some years ago. I can't really recommend it, because while the premise is good (a guy keeps shifting back and forth from his world to a parallel world), the artwork is in the "primitive" style that turns me off.

Sabrina: Something Wicked TPB

Writer: Kelly Thompson • Art: Veronica Fish, Andy Fish, Jack Morelli • Cover: Veronica Fish

Archie Comics • 6  x 9” • 144 pages • $14.99

Honestly, Sabrina is the most interesting character in the whole Archie line.

The Sheriff of Babylon TPB

Writer: Tom King • Ar: Mitch Gerads • Cover: John Paul Leon

DC Comics Black Label • 304 pages • Ages 17+ • $29.99

I started reading this when it first came out and was really enjoying it. I have no idea why I stopped reading it, but it wasn't because of story or art.

Written by Tom King, of whom you may have heard since, this story is set in 2003 Baghdad where a former cop, now a military consultant, is tasked with training law enforcement officers in the middle of the war. Obviously, it is not going to go smoothly.

Superman vs. Shazam TPB

Writers: Jerry Ordway, Mark Waid, Judd Winick, Gerry Conway, Roy Thomas, Paul Kubberberg • Art: Jerry Ordway, Alex Ross, Ian Churchill, Rich Buckler, Gil Kane and others • Cover: Andy Kubert

DC Comics • 256 pages • $24.99

I've read all these stories, but like the Superman vs. Flash races, it'll be nice to have them all in one place.

Tales from the Umbrella Academy: You Look Like Death Volume 1 TPB

Writers: Gerard Way, Shaun Simon • Artist/Colorist: Ian Culbard • Letterer: Nate Piekos • Cover Artist: Gabriel Ba

Dark Horse • 176 pages • 6 5/8" x 10 3/16" • $19.99

A miniseries starring Klaus "The Seance" Hargreeves. But it's the straight comics version, not the gay TV version.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Last Ronin #1 Director's Cut

Writers: Kevin Eastman, Peter Laird, Tom Waltz •Art/Cover: Kevin Eastman, Esau and Isaac Escorza

IDW Publishing • 64 pages • $10.99 • 7” x 11”

I'm no TMNT fan, but this looks like something special for those who are.

The Trials of Ultraman #1 (of 5)

Writers: Kyle Higgins, Mat Groom • Art: Francesco Manna, Eduardo Ferigato, Gurihiru • Colors Espen Grundetjern • Cover: Arthur Adams • Variant: Kia Asamiya • Variant: Matt Frank • Variant: Francesco Manna • Variant: Peach Momoko

Marvel Comics • Teen+ • $4.99

The kaiju have escaped their vault! Now Ultraman must recapture them all, which sounds like fun.

Ultramega #1

Writer: James Harren • Art: James Harren, Dave Stewart • Cover A: James Harren
Cover B: Tradd Moore  • Cover C: Blank cover • Cover D: Raw (1:5 Copy Incentive) by Moore • Cover E Raw (1:10 Copy Incentive) by Harren

Image Comics • $7.99

Wait, didn't we just see this book? Rats, it's another one I'd hoped to read before today, so I could tell you the difference between Ultraman and Ultramega. If any.

THE FULL LIST

20th Century Boys Vol 11: Perfect Ed Urasawa TPB

Abbott 1973 #3 (of 5)

Air War Stories #3

American Ronin TPB

The Art of Keyforge HC

Ascencia #3

Avengers by Jason Aaron Vol 1 HC

Batman Beyond Vol 8: The Eradication Agenda TPB

Batman vs. Ra’s al Ghul #5

Beast Complex GN

Beastars  Vol 11 GN

Bequest #1

Bill & Ted Are Doomed TPB

Black Knight: Curse of the Ebony Blade #1 (of 5)

Bloodshot: Rising Spirit TPB

BPRD: The Devil You Know Omnibus HC

Breathers #5

Captain America Anniversary Tribute #1

Captain Marvel #27

Caste Heaven Vol 5 GN

Children of the Grave #3

Catwoman #29

Champions #5

Complete Artist Sponsorship Campaign Artbook SC

Count TPB

Curtiss Hill TPB

Cyberpunk 2077: Trauma Team TPB

Cycle of the Red Moon Vol 2 TPB

Danganronpa: Another Episode Vol 3: Ultra Despair Girls TPB

Daredevil by Chip Zdarsky Vol 1: To Heaven Through Hell HC

Dark Wing #4 (of 10)

Dawn of X Vol 14 TPB

Dead Day Vol 1 TPB

Disney Pixar Monsters Inc & University: The Story of the Movie In Comics HC

Dose #2

El Ciclo De Luna Roja  Vol 2 TPB

E Ratic #4

Everything Vol 2 TPB

The Expanse #4 (of 4)

Fall Vol 1 TPB

Flash Crossover Crisis Vol 3: Legends of Forever HC (prose)

Fly Me to the Moon Vol 4 GN

Fox & Little Tanuki Vol 3 GN

Freaks of the Heartland 2nd Edition TPB

Gert & The Sacred Stones TPB

GI Joe: Castle Fall

Gold Digger #279

Goon Vol 3: Fishy Men Witchy Women & Bitter Beer TPB

Happy Hour #5

Hawkeye: Go West TPB

Head Lopper #15

Hell’s Paradise Jigokuraku Vol 7 GN

Hero Hourly one-shot

Horror Comics Black and White #1 (of 3)

Hotline Miami Wildlife #7 (of 8)

Hot Valley Days & Cocaine Nights #3 (of 3)

H.P. Lovecraft: The Case of Charles Dexter Ward GN

H.P. Lovecraft: The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath GN

H.P. Lovecraft: The Shadow Out of Time GN

I’m Standing on Million of Lives Vol 9 GN

Invader Zim Quarterly: Zim’s Greatest Plan #1

Invincible #1 Amazon Prime Video Edition

Iron Fist: Heart of the Dragon #3 (of 6)

Iron Man #7

Iron Man Vol 1: Big Iron TPB

I Walk with Monsters #4

Jim Henson’s Storyteller: Tricksters #1

Johnny Boo Vol 12: Silly Blizzard HC

Judge Dredd: End of Days TPB

Juggernaut: No Stopping Now TPB

Justice League #59

Kick-Ass vs Hit-Girl #5 (of 5)

King in Black: Spider-Man #1

King in Yellow GN

Kingdom of Z Vol 3 GN

Knights of the Golden Sun #11

The Land That Time Forgot: Fearless #2

Leave on the Light TPB

Looney Tunes #259

Love Me, Love Me Not Vol 07 GN

Magical Angel Creamy Mami & Spoiled Princess Vol 1 GN

Maison Ikkoku Collectors Edition Vol 3 TPB

Maniac of New York #1 2nd Printing

Maria Llovet’s Eros Psyche #1

Martian Ghost Centaur SC

Marvel #6 (of 6)

Midnight Western Theatre #1 (of 5)

Miranda in Maelstrom #4

Monster Art of Basil Gogos SC (book)

Muhammad Ali Kinshasa 1974 HC

Mushoku Tensei Roxy Gets Serious Vol 5 GN

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic #95

Nightwing #78

No Guns Life Vol 9 GN

Norse Mythology Vol 1 HC

Oblivion Song by Kirkman & De Felici Vol 5 TPB

Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition Omnibus HC

One Soul 10th Anniversary HC

Orcs #2 (of 6)

Origins #5 (of 6)

Orphan & Five Beasts #1 (of 4)

Otaku Elf Vol 1 GN

Our Teachers Are Dating Vol 3 GN

Perfect World Vol 5 GN

Perhapanauts: First Blood TPB

Power Rangers: Drakkon — New Dawn TPB

Radiant Black #2

Ragnarok Vol 3: The Breaking of Helheim HC

Rainbow & Black Vol 2 GN

Red Atlantis #5

Revolver GN

Robyn Hood: Cult of the Spider one-shot

RWBY Official Manga Vol 2 Beacon Arc GN

Sabrina: Something Wicked TPB

The Sandman: The Deluxe Edition Book Two

Sasquatch in Love #4 (of 4)

Savage (2020) #2

Science Comics Digestive System GN

Sensational Wonder Woman #11 (digital)

The Sheriff of Babylon GN

Species Domain Vol 9 GN

Spider-Woman #10

Star Trek: Year Five #19

Star Wars Adventures (2020) #4

Star Wars: Age Resistance Official Collector’s Edition (magazine)

Star Wars: Bounty Hunters #10

Star Wars: High Republic #1 4th Printing

Steambound #2

Stillwater by Zdarsky & Perez Vol 1 TPB

Superman: Red & Blue #1

Superman vs. Shazam GN

Sword #4

Tales from the Umbrella Academy Vol 1: You Look Like Death TPB

Tartarus #10

That Time I Reincarnated as a Slime Trinity Vol 3 GN

They Fell from the Sky #2

Thor #13

TMNT #115

TMNT: The Last Ronin Directors Cut #1

Tony Stark: Iron Man by Dan Slott Omnibus HC

Toritan Birds of a Feather Vol 2 GN

Transformers: Back to the Future #3 (of 4)

Trials of Ultraman #1 (of 5)

Ultraman Vol 1: Rise of Ultraman TPB

Ultramega by James Harren #1

Usagi Yojimbo Saga 2nd Edition Vol 1 TPB/Limited Edition HC

X-Force #18

Vampblade Season 4 #12 (#49)

Vampirella: Dark Powers #4

The Walking Dead Deluxe #11

Wallace the Brave Vol 3: Wicked Epic Adventure YA GN

Walt Disney’s Uncle Scrooge Vol 5: Islands In The Sky HC

Wild Bull & Chipper #1

With Dog and Cat Everyday Is Fun Vol 03 GN

World of Archie Jumbo Comics Digest #107

World of Betty & Veronica Jumbo Comics Digest #3

Young Leonardo HC

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I still haven't seen Man of Steel, every time I think about it, I decide I don't want to watch a 2 1/2 hour Superman origin movie.

I am picking up Nightwing for the first time in years. I've generally enjoyed Tom Taylor's work, so I'm hoping for the best here.

This reply was deleted.