DON'T MISS:

Aquaman: King of Atlantis

"Chapter One: Dead Sea"

The three-part animated miniseries event begins with Aquaman’s first day on the job as king of Atlantis and he’s got a LOT of catching up to do. Luckily, he has his two royal advisors to back him up –– Vulko, the scholar, and Mera, the water-controlling warrior-princess. Between dealing with unscrupulous surface-dwellers, elder evils from beyond time and his own half-brother, who wants to overthrow him, Aquaman is going to have to rise to the challenge and prove to his subjects, and to himself, that he’s the right man for the trident!

Oct. 21: "Chapter Two: Primordeous" 

Oct. 28: "Chapter  Three: Tidal Shift"

CC sez: Maybe this is the origin of Bluebeard! Honestly, I have no idea what to expect.

THE TOP FIVE

Batman: The Audio Adventures Special #1 one-shot

DC Comics | $9.99

Story: Dennis McNicholas, Bobby Moynihan, Heidi Gardner, Paul Scheer, more | Art: Leonardo Romero, Juni Ba, more | Covers: Dave Johnson, Francis Manapul

Ah, you hear that beautiful racket? That’s the music of Gotham City — the largest city in the world, the big gargoyle, the treasure of the night — anyone who calls it a crime-infested hellhole is dead wrong. No way hell has such great pierogies. So join us here (hear?) as we bring you the stories behind the stories behind the hit HBO Max scripted original podcast with this sensational prequel one-shot, written by the very creators and talent who lent their voices to the show. And unless you’ve been living in a cave, you know that after years of rumors we find out not only is the Batman real, not only is he one of the good guys, turns out, he’s gonna be a cop! With special appearances by King Scimitar, Stoveplate Sullivan, Billy Wristwatch and others directly from the podcast, this oversize special brings you deeper into the mysteries behind Batman: The Audio Adventures!

CC sez: I used to listen to "suspense" radio shows in bed when I was young as I was going to sleep. (Usually around 11 or 12 p.m.). So I'm pretty nostalgic for when radio was an entertainment option. That carries over to projects like this.

Incidentally, there are two more fine Bat-options this week. (See below.)

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #9

Archie | 32 pages | $3.99

Story: Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa | Art: Robert Hack, Jack Morelli | Covers: Robert Hack

THE HIT HORROR SERIES THAT SPAWNED A MASSIVELY SUCCESSFUL NETFLIX SERIES RETURNS!

“WITCH WAR” Part 3: “The Sacrificial Lamb” –– Sabrina has brought Harvey’s body back to life (along with her father’s soul). But there is a cost to everything. Unless she wants the Gates of Hell to open, Sabrina must find a person to sacrifice in Harvey’s place. But wait ... Sabrina would never kill someone, would she?

Archie Comics is celebrating 60 years of Sabrina Spellman with two comic book series, both written by Riverdale television series creator and showrunner Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and featuring the fan-favorite teen witch. Aguirre-Sacasa will reunite with original series artist Robert Hack to continue the best-selling comic book series that started it all with CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA #9. Returning to the series’ satanic horror roots, Aguirre-Sacasa continues the terrifying “Witch War” storyline, pitting Spellman against Spellman, the dead versus the living.

“Bringing Sabrina and her family and friends to life on the screen for Netflix was a dark dream come true, and I couldn’t be prouder of our four seasons, but it all started with a comic book series that was truly a labor of love for everyone who worked on it,” said Aguirre-Sacasa. “Reuniting with Robert Hack and the entire Archie Comics team and getting to pick up where we left off has been the best homecoming I could have ever asked for.”

Aguirre-Sacasa will also open the doorway to hell with another new comic book series that picks up where the final episode of Netflix’s hugely popular television adaptation left off. Launching later this year, THE OCCULT WORLD OF SABRINA features art by Audrey Mok (ARCHIE, JOSIE & THE PUSSYCATS) and will include characters and storylines from the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina television series, on which Aguirre-Sacasa served as showrunner, writer, and executive producer. Fans of both the comics and the television series will be on the edge of their seats as they welcome back Sabrina, Nick, Harvey and the rest of the Fright Club for the first story-arc, “A World Without Sabrina.”

“Roberto coming back to the comics fold is such a special thing to experience,” said Archie Comics CEO/Publisher Jon Goldwater. “He’s done a remarkable job of creating fresh, new and captivating stories across Riverdale, Sabrina and Katy Keene. He steps right back into his comics sweet spot, and the world he has created is truly amazing.”

CC sez: The last issue of this title, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #8, came out in 2017. It became a joke for a while at my LCS that Aguirre-Sacasa was letting the comic book languish because the money and fame of the TV show was more fun, but after a while I think we all guessed the title was quietly canceled.

But no! Here is issue #9, four years later! For those who missed the first eight issues, it's a horror take on the concept, and different in many ways from the TV show. (For example, Harvey was killed and eaten in the first issue of the comic book. Yes, it is straight-up horror.) The tl;dr above is that Archie plans a second title to continue the TV show, which I just learned this week, wasn't supposed to end with Sabrina's death at the end of the fourth season. She was meant to return but the series was unexpectedly canceled.

Needless to say, the cover is an homage to Sabrina's first appearance in Archie's Mad House #22 (1962).

Immortal Hulk #50

Marvel | Teen+ | $9.99

Story: Al Ewing | Art: Joe Bennett | Covers: Alex Ross, Jen Bartel, Joe Bennett, Creees Lee, Gary Frank, Inhyuk Lee, Joe Jusko, Mr. Garcin, Carlos Pacheco, Ron Lim, Ryan Stegman, Sanford Greene, Ed McGuinness

Writer Al Ewing and artist Joe Bennett will close out their horror-infused work on Bruce Banner in IMMORTAL HULK #50, a special giant-sized issue that will present the groundbreaking conclusion to years of buildup, mystery and Gamma-powered additions to the Hulk mythology.

The final issue will find the Hulk down in the Below-Place as he searches among the ghosts of the past for the answers to all his questions. The dramatic ending will not only shed light on what’s next for Hulk but also reveal the future of the One Below All, the Green Door, the Leader, Jackie McGee, Joe Fixit and more!

"IMMORTAL HULK #50 is the climax of everything we've done in this book, an 80-page crescendo that spans over a century and contains the answers to some of the biggest questions of the run,” Ewing promises. “This is how it all ends - and we think it'll be worth the wait."

These eight covers will allow readers to relive the following breathtaking moments from throughout this incredible saga:

• Ron Lim immortalizes Hulk’s discovery of the gamma-irradiated father of Del Frye from IMMORTAL HULK #2
  • Ed McGuinness immortalizes the brutal brawl between the red Absorbing Man and Hulk from IMMORTAL HULK #9
  • Gary Frank immortalizes the climactic moment of the “Hulk in Hell” arc where Devil Hulk lets Bruce know he’ll always protect him from IMMORTAL HULK #13
  • Carlos Pacheco immortalizes the debut of the Rick Jones/Abomination hybrid from IMMORTAL HULK #17
  • Creees Lee immortalizes Hulk’s initial confrontation with Betty’s new manifestation of her Red Harpy persona from IMMORTAL HULK #19
  • Sanford Greene immortalizes the glimpse of Hulk’s potential future as the Breaker of Worlds from IMMORTAL HULK #25.
  • InHyuk Lee immortalizes Hulk squaring off against his Roxxon-backed replacement, Xemnu, from IMMORTAL HULK #31
  • Jen Bartel immortalizes the reveal of the Devil Hulk’s true look from IMMORTAL HULK #38.

I'm Omnibus-waiting this one (more hoping than planning, I guess) and am more excited than I usually am by ol' Greenskin. I don't know what happens in this series, but clearly it's a lot more complicated than "Hulk smash puny human."

James Bond: Himeros #1

Dynamite | $3.99

Story: Rodney Barnes | Art: Antonio Fuso | Covers: Francesco Francavilla, Jackson Guice,

Himeros is the Greek God of sexual desire and one of the Erotes, the winged gods of love. When Aphrodite was born from the sea-foams she was greeted by the twin loves Eros and Himeros.

But when sexual desire goes too far, it takes the legendary super-spy James Bond to bring justice to the most vulnerable among us as he investigates the suspicious death of an accused sex trafficker — one whose ties run deep ... and deadly.

CC sez: If there's a Himeros, is there a Her-Eros? One would hope. Anyway, I've read most of Dynamite's James Bond miniseries, and have enjoyed them sufficiently to keep getting them. Which is a tepid recommendation, I guess, but still a recommendation.

Star Trek: Mirror War #1

Image | $3.99

Story: David Tipton, Scott Tipton | Art: Gavin Smith | Cover: J. K. Woodward | Variant: Amanda Madriaga

Return to the Mirror Universe of The Next Generation with this brand-new series from writers David & Scott Tipton, where familiar faces and exciting new surprises await around every corner!

To conquer the Mirror Universe, Captain Picard must first seize control of the ship-building planet of Faundori! The only problem? Faundori is inside Klingon-Cardassian Alliance territory!

CC sez:  I'm just glad to see an ambitious Trek project.

OTHER ITEMS OF INTEREST

Amazing Spider-Man #76

Marvel | Teen | $3.99

Story: Zeb Wells | Art: Patrick Gleason | Covers: Art Adams, Patrick Gleason, Joe Jusko (Marvel Masterpieces) | Beyond Board: Kelly Thompson, Saladin-Ahmed, Cody Ziglar, Patrick Gleason, Zeb Wells

The unthinkable has happened. Zeb Wells and Patrick Gleason will remind you why you love (and hate) comics.

CC sez: Wait, didn't Amazing Spider-Man come out last week? And the week before? Man, thrice-monthly is a blistering pace. I expect I'll get this — it seems to be the one to really end the Peter Parker era — and then I can go back to ignoring Spider-Man.

Batman ’89 #3 (of 8)

DC Comics | $3.99

Story: Sam Hamm | Art/Cover: Joe Quinones | Variant: Lee Weeks

As the fire rages at Royal Auto, Harvey Dent lies trapped inside, unconscious and in danger. Can Bruce Wayne get to Harvey in time, or will the district attorney leave burned — in more ways than one?

CC sez: Who d'ya suppose that is on the cover? Rachel Dawes? (Wrong movie!) This world's version of Barbara Gordon?

Batman: The Imposter #1 (of 3)

DC Comics | Prestige Format | $5.99

Story: Mattson Tomlin | Art/Cover: Andrea Sorrentino | Colors: Jordie Bellaire | Variants: Lee Bermejo, Kaare Andrews (1:25 retailer incentive)

Bruce Wayne’s mission as the Batman has only been underway for a year or so, but he can tell he’s making a difference. Unfortunately, he’s made some powerful enemies. All the traditional power brokers of Gotham resent the disruption the Batman has brought to town…and it seems one of them has a plan to neutralize him. There’s a second Batman haunting Gotham’s rooftops and alleys — and this one has no qualms about murdering criminals, live and on tape.

With the entire might of the Gotham City Police Department and Gotham’s rich and powerful coming down on his head, Batman must find this imposter and somehow clear his name … but how can you prove your innocence from behind a mask?

“As a lifelong Batman fan, putting my spin on Gotham City has been a dream come true,” said writer Mattson Tomlin. “Taking the question of ‘What if Batman was real?’ as far as narratively possible conjured incredible potential that hasn’t recently been explored in the comics. Batman: The Imposter treats Bruce Wayne and the people around him as tragically flawed and vividly real, with the obstacles Batman faces coming from a reality that closely mirrors our own.”

“Having been a fan of his for years, working with Andrea Sorrentino is an absolute gift,” added Tomlin. “His vividly graphic art and truly genius layouts brought this story to new heights, and Jordie Bellaire’s astounding color work has truly spoiled me for my first outing with DC.”

“I’ve worked on Batman as a supporting character in a couple of books, but this was the very first time I had the chance to work on a Batman title, and it was amazing,” added artist Andrea Sorrentino. “I’ve been a huge fan of Batman ever since I was a kid and saw Tim Burton’s Batman movie in 1989, so having the chance to work with Mattson and Jordie on this take on the Caped Crusader was like an early Christmas present!”

Localized print versions of the series will also launch day and date in the following territories: Spain, Germany, Brazil, Mexico, Italy, France, Russia, the Czech Republic, Poland, Japan, South Korea, Turkey, and Argentina.

Batman: The Long Halloween Special

DC Comics | 48 pages | Prestige Format | $7.99

Story: Jeph Loeb | Art/Covers: Tim Sale

A quarter-century has passed since the release of the Eisner Award-winning Batman: The Long Halloween from the creative team of writer Jeph Loeb and artist Tim Sale. Loeb and Sale return to continue their story and show that some secrets never stay buried in Batman: The Long Halloween Special.

"Twenty-five years ago, Tim Sale and I set out to tell a mystery tale of how Gotham City went from crime to freaks,” said Jeph Loeb. “The result was Batman: The Long Halloween. We're thrilled to be back at DC revisiting some of our favorite characters all the while revealing that you may not know the whole story."

“As it has always been, working together on Batman has brought out the best of Jeph and myself as Gotham City storytellers,” added Tim Sale. “We have been blessed to have the mighty talents of Comicraft's Richard Starkings with us every step of the way, and we are very fortunate to welcome colorist, Brennan Wagner, to help shape our latest venture."

CC sez: Wow, Loeb is still milking this? I guess he needs a job now.

Batwoman Omnibus HC

DC Comics | $9.99

Story: J.H. Williams III, W. Haden Blackman, Greg Rucka, Marc Andreyko | Art: J.H. Williams III, Trevor McCarthy, Amy Reeder, Jock, others | Cover: J.H. Williams III

Acclaimed artist J.H. Williams III reveals the shocking origin of one of comics’ most prominent lesbian characters, collected for the first time ever in one epic omnibus hardcover edition!

Determined to continue serving others after her military career was cut short by bigotry, Kate Kane has taken up the identity of Batwoman, leading a one-woman war on Gotham City’s evil underbelly. Who or what is stealing children from the barrio, and for what vile purpose? How will Kate handle unsettling revelations about her father, Colonel Jacob Kane? And why is a certain government agency suddenly taking an interest in her?

J.H. Williams III’s extensive work on Batwoman saw him play both writer and illustrator. Batwoman Omnibus is a visually stunning collection that includes works from Williams and his frequent collaborators Greg Rucka and W. Haden Blackman — here in their entirety. Collects Detective Comics #854-863, Batwoman #0 (New 52), Batwoman #0-24, and Batwoman Annual #1.

CC sez: I have been actively looking forward to this, since it was announced long ago, before the pandemic. Williams' art and layouts blew me away at the time, and I've wanted the whole series in a single package to comfortably re-enjoy them.

Black Panther Legends #1 (of 4)

Marvel | Teen | $3.99

Story: Tochi Onyebuchi | Art/Cover: Setor Fiadzigbey | Variants: TBA, Brian Stelfreeze

T'Challa and Hunter are brothers growing up in the idyllic royal palace of Wakanda. Theirs goes beyond the usual sibling rivalry, though — Hunter, although older, is adopted, and T'Challa is the true heir to the throne. Both brothers wrestle with fairness and the future, readying themselves for responsibility, when tragedy strikes and takes the choice from them. This new series, ideal for young fans and loyal readers alike, will explore the moments that make T'Challa who he is, from his adventurous upbringing to his walkabout as a teen where he meets the enchanting Ororo Munroe before she becomes the legendary Storm, to when he first invites the Fantastic Four into Wakanda! Son, Brother, Warrior, King — as each chapter unfolds, new pieces of T'Challa's character will be revealed and the Black Panther will emerge.

CC sez: Will a YA monthly work? I don't know that younger readers will trek to the comic shop every month for four months. Well, maybe I'm underestimating them.

Doctor Who Missy Vol 1

Titan | Mature | $17.99

Story: Jody Houser | Art: Roberta Ingranata | Cover: Claudia Caranfa

Missy's up to her old tricks, but this time she's not alone! How will the Doctor survive this latest maniacal plot in this special story celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Master?

Collects Doctor Who: Missy #1-4, celebrating The Master's 50th year.

CC sez: Hey, Whovians: Is there a reason Missy is drawn like an evil Mary Poppins? Some inside joke I'm not getting?

And if you're missing Michelle Gomez, the actress who plays Missy, she's currently chewing up the scenery on Doom Patrol.

Eternals Forever #1

Marvel | Teen+ | $3.99

Story: Ralph Macchio | Art: Ramon Bachs | Covers: Todd Nauck, Juan Frigeri

Set at a turning point in Eternals history, ETERNALS FOREVER will serve as a perfect modern entry point into the world of the Eternals. This one-shot will reintroduce fans and newcomers to heroes such as Ikaris and Sprite, along with the Deviants who will stop at nothing but all-out war. After the Deviants capture and brainwash Ikaris into assassinating Ajak, it’s up to Gilgamesh and Sprite to stop him. Will the Eternals be able to save their fallen brother, or will Ikaris remain a sinister agent of the Deviants?

CC sez: I'm starting to suspect I should be picking up these one-shots and the ongoing series to inform me about the movie. 

Ka-Zar: Lord of the Savage Land #2 (of 5)

Marvel |  Teen+ | $3.99

Story: Zac Thompson | Art: Germán García | Colors: Matheus Lopes | Letters: VC’s Joe Caramagna | Covers: Jesús Saiz, Felipe Massafera, Germán García (Map variant)

Fans bore witness to an exciting evolution for a classic Marvel hero in KA-ZAR: LORD OF THE SAVAGE LAND #1. The Stan Lee and Jack Kirby creation is back from the dead with terrifying new powers as he and his family, Shanna the She-Devil and his son Matthew, protect their home from strange new enemies in the new limited series from writer Zac Thompson and artist Germán García, with colorist Matheus Lopes. And readers can expect even more Savage Land thrills and mesmerizing artwork when this extraordinary saga continues in KA-ZAR: LORD OF THE SAVAGE LAND #2 on October 13th!

"The response to KA-ZAR: LORD OF THE SAVAGE LAND #1 blew me away! Thank you to everyone who's picked up the book, talking about the awe-inspiring art, and getting excited about this bold new era for Marvel's mighty jungle lord!,” Thompson said. “This is just the beginning! In the coming months we'll be taking readers to many different environments within the Savage Land and meeting the people who call these places home! There's a massive adventure ahead filled with HUGE fights, painful evolution, family drama and ... the truth about the mysterious Weaver ... and his horrific Polyscion creations that could destroy the Savage Land forever.

CC sez: Marvel sent a press release and preview, and I'm passing it on.

Life Is Strange: Settling Dust #1 (of 4)

Titan | $3.99

Story: Emma Vieceli | Art: Andrea Izzo, Claudia Leonardi | Cover: Gabriel Picolo

THE HEART-WRENCHING CONCLUSION TO THE BEST-SELLING LIFE IS STRANGE COMIC SERIES.

Max finally believes that she has found a way to cross the timelines and return to the woman she loves, Chloe Price. Features the comic debut of fan favorite characters Steph Gingrich and Victoria Chase from the original game.

LIFE IS STRANGE FCBD LEADS INTO THIS NEW ARC!

CC sez: I hear that this miniseries is the final Life Is Strange installment.

Monster Kill Squad #2 (of 4)

Bad Idea | 32 pages | No Ads | $6.99

Story: Christos Gage | Art: Tomas Giorello | Colors: Diego Rodriguez | Cover: Lewis Larosa, Diego Rodriguez

PLUS: An All-New BAD IDEA B-SIDE

Once upon a time, monster attacks were rare. A forest witch might murder a few hikers, a killer clown might eat a few children, or a malevolent ghost might drive a young couple insane just for the hell of it. But these events were scarce, easily covered up, and soon faded into campfire stories good for a laugh.

But no one’s laughing now. Over the past 90 days, cryptozoological attacks have increased a hundredfold, and the arcane has become everyday. Monsters of every shape and size strike at will, and the good, taxpaying folks of the US of A have had enough of this nonsense.

Enter: THE MONSTER KILL SQUAD. A Government Unit of the most dangerous motherfuckers on the planet, the deadliest folks alive are here to put a bullet in the brain of everything that walks, crawls, flies, or hides in shadows. And if it doesn’t have a brain, all the better — we’ve got a gun for that, too.

Witches and wraiths. Demons and deadites. Goblins and ghosts. There have always been monsters. Now there are monster killers, and the MKS will kill it, and kill it good.

CC sez: Is anybody on this board reading any Bad Idea books? Since you can only get them at a "location store," I've never seen one.

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic #102

IDW | $5.99

Story: Jeremy Whitley | Art/Cover: Andy Price | Variant: JustaSuta, Roopsha Mandal (retailer incentive)

An oversized adventure caps off over 100 issues of Pony fun! Don't miss this thrilling conclusion to the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic comic!

Since its very inception in 2012, the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic monthly comic book series from IDW has captured the hearts and minds of filly fans everywhere. Now, after almost a decade of publication, we bid a fond farewell to Friendship is Magic with issue #102, the oversized conclusion of the official “Season 10” storyline that picked up where the beloved animated series left off.

“Having worked on every issue of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic comics since 2012, I can honestly say it has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my career at Hasbro,” says Michael Kelly, VP of Global Publishing at Hasbro. “To everyone at IDW, to the incredibly talented creative teams, to our amazing fans, my sincere thanks; it’s been such a great time.”

“I am so grateful to IDW and Hasbro for allowing me to tell this fun, spirited story that brings part of my childhood into the present day,” says Gilly. “As much as I loved writing it, the best part has been seeing Michela’s incredible art breathe life into it — every single page is so vibrant, so charming, and just exploding with talent. I hope all My Little Pony fans can reconnect with characters from their past, enjoy the Mane 6 on another wild adventure, and fall in love with a couple of sassy, powerful, teenage witches the way that I have.”

“It's exciting to work with the characters that I grew up with, and to have the chance to create new characters... especially the bad guys. Everyone loves the bad guys!” says Cacciatore.

“We’re so unbelievably grateful that fans have followed us along for 100-plus issues of magic, fun, and, most importantly, friendship — and this isn’t the end!” says editor Megan Brown. “Starting with My Little Pony: Generations — an absolutely amazing crossover brought to life by the fabulous team of Casey Gilly and Michela Cacciatore, bringing old classics and new favorites together at last — we have many more adventures in store.”

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #102, by longtime contributors Jeremy Whitley and Andy Price, delivers the long-awaited climax of the “Season 10” story arc. With the Knights of Order launching an all-out assault on Equestria, the Mane 6 must face a foe singularly focused on capturing the Elements of Harmony. It’s a good thing that they have a lot of friends, old and new, upon whom they can rely!

CC sez: I'm still amazed that this book lasted as long as Jack Kirby on Fantastic Four.

Nexus Newspaper Strips Vol 1 TPB

Dark Horse | $29.99

Story: Mike Baron | Art/Cover: Steve Rude

Something long dormant beneath the surface of Ylum comes alive, triggering a visit from the planet-devouring Gourmando and his mysterious ally. With powers far beyond those of even Nexus himself, this unstoppable being banishes Nexus to an unknown realm-and the only way out is to face one's worst fears! Mike Baron and Steve Rude deliver a new Nexus adventure in this special collection that also includes the newly remastered "Nexus: The Origin" comic and the classic Rude hand-painted Sundra story, "When She was Young."

CC sez: Steverude.com informs me that to turn Nexus into a comic strip, Rude created/published his own 8-page "newspaper." That's one way to do it, I guess.

Rick and Morty: Mr. Nimbus #1

Oni Press | $4.99

Story: Alex Firer | Art/Cover: Ryan Lee

Straight out of the Rick and Morty Season Five premiere comes Mr. Nimbus! The origins of Rick's mightiest foe are revealed in this very special issue of Rick and Morty Presents. Love, war, fish, and friendship undergo the battering sea of time and tide.

CC sez: I think this is the third Ricky and Morty miniseries to launch in as many weeks. Has Oni  finally found its moneymaker?

The  Six  Sidekicks  of Trigger Keaton #5

Image | $3.99

Story: Kyle Starks | Art/Cover: Chris Schweizer | Variant: Francesco Francavilla

“All I can say is that if you're not reading this book, you are missing out on a great time.” — AIPT 

Look, we don’t want to waste your time — you read comics, you love comics and so you’re already skipping past these words to see the first look at The Six Sidekicks of Trigger Keaton #5 from Image/Skybound. That means you also know that Eisner Award nominees Kyle Starks (Sex Castle) and Chris Schweizer (Crogan Adventures) are delivering an issue so good that it needed a cover from acclaimed artist Francesco Francavilla to improve upon the perfection that’s assured.

So, when I tell you this issue has TWENTY FULL PAGES — that's right, FULL PAGES — of massive kung fu action from our six former sidekicks going toe to toe with a tidal wave of angry stuntmen looking for revenge and for blood, you know that ain’t something we say lightly, right? These Stuntmen aren’t friends, now they’re family, and they’re also completely effed, so you’re going to have a good time seeing people get punched and kicked in places it should never happen.

CC sez: Another issue, another press release/preview. Thanks, Image!

Star Wars High Republic: Trail of Shadows #1 (of 5)

Marvel | Teen | $3.99

Story: Daniel José Older | Art: David Wachter | Covers: David López, Ario Anindito & Rachelle Rosenberg

The noir-style mystery will unfold after the shocking events of the Republic Fair and introduce new key HIGH REPUBLIC players such as Sian Holt and Jedi Emerick Caphtor, two detectives tasked with uncovering the source of a strange new threat that could bring darkness to the Jedi Order’s golden age. The story will directly tie into the events of other HIGH REPUBLIC sagas, including the upcoming new Cavan Scott novel The Rising Storm.

“There are so many weird and terrifying threads to unravel here, and David Wachter’s excellent art fits the mood, urgency, and depth of this story perfectly,” Older told StarWars.com. “I am beyond excited to be working on this thrilling, creepy, delightful story.”

CC sez: That's pretty bland cover art, but the blurb promises Star Wars noir. Which works for me.

Transformers: Wreckers — Tread & Circuits #1 (of 4)

IDW | $3.99

Story: David Mariotte | Art/Cover: Jack Lawrence | Variants: Anna Malkova, Nick Roche (retailer incentive)

The Tread & Circuits storyline provides a glimpse of life on distant colony worlds, far from the Cybertron war, where good entertainment is hard to find! Fortunately, there’s always the Wreckers, a fearless team of daredevils who broadcast death-defying stunts and action … all as a cover for undercover operations! When the security of the Speedia 500 — a literal race for governmental control of a whole world — is threatened, the Wreckers have a new challenge: they must save the most widely-broadcasted event in the galaxy, without getting exposed!

“The Wreckers are an idea that comes from the comics — a team of Autobots willing to do what other Autobots wouldn't, and look cool as heck while doing it," says Mariotte. "Every iteration has been a bit different, and with Jack and Candice on art, this one's going to be a gorgeous new take on who the Wreckers are and how they do what they do best.”

“I was collecting the UK Transformers comic when the first Wreckers story was published in 1986, and it’s so awesome to actually contribute to their legend,” says Lawrence. “The Wreckers have always felt like a pulp adventure team, and I'm excited to bring some of that feeling to these pages.”

“We’re really excited to bring the Wreckers into the IDW Transformers universe. We hope that fans will enjoy taking a break from the war on Cybertron to experience a new mini with spying, racing, wrecking, ruling, and many other fun things,” says editor Riley Farmer.

CC sez: Heads up, Transformer fans.

Umbrella Academy: You Look Like Death

Dark Horse | Deluxe Edition HC, $79.99; Library Edition HC, $39.99

Story: Gerard Way, Shaun Simon | Art: I.N.J. Culbard | Covers: Tony Ong

When 18-year-old Klaus gets himself kicked out of the Umbrella Academy and his allowance discontinued, he heads to a place where his ghoulish talents will be appreciated –– Hollywood. But after a magical high on a stash stolen from a vampire drug lord, Klaus needs help, and doesn’t have his siblings there to save him.

This oversized hardcover collects issues #1-6 of You Look Like Death, a brand new eight-page Seance story exclusive to the hardcovers, and a foreword by Robert Sheehan, portrayer of Klaus in the hit Netflix show!

The You Look Like Death: Tales from the Umbrella Academy Deluxe Edition includes a slipcase designed by Tony Ong, and an exclusive print by I.N.J. Cubard!

Praise for The Umbrella Academy Volume 3: Hotel Oblivion:

"Way’s name on any comic is a call to attention, but combined with Bá on the revival of Umbrella Academy, this issue is the very definition of Required Reading." — Paste Magazine

“It’s been a long time coming. For years we eagerly awaited the arrival of a proper new Umbrella Academy series and now that day has come. Was it worth the wait? Hell yes it was.” — Nerdist

“A Way and Bá collaboration is always a cause for celebration, so you definitely need to check into the Hotel Oblivion.” — Monkeys Fighting Robots

CC sez: I have the regular series in, I think, Library format. So I guess I'm obliged to get this one, too. It's a good series.

EVENTS/CROSSOVERS

DARKHOLD

The Darkhold: Iron Man one-shot

Marvel | Teen+ | $3.99

Story: Ryan North | Art: Guillermo Sanna | Covers: Valerio Giangiordano, Giuseppe Camuncoli, Josemaria Casanovas (interconnecting)

Ryan North turns his talents to a brand-new genre! Called forth to face the dread god Chthon, Iron Man reads from the ancient ill-fated text the Darkhold ... and it changes the course of his entire life. The armor that has saved him countless times is about to become a prison - one whose only escape is a fate worse than death. The brilliant comedic mind behind The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl and Dinosaur Comics brings you the body-horror tale of the century!!

CC sez: This series is going to be published in one-shots. An "Alpha" issue, an "Omega" issue, and five one-shots starring the five heroes Scarlet Witch has picked as her team, in full Darkhold mode. Iron Man is the first, and the other four are Black Bolt, Blade, Spider-Man and Wasp.

WAR OF THE BOUNTY HUNTERS

Star Wars: Doctor Aphra #1

Marvel | Teen | $3.99

Story: Alyssa Wong | Art: Minkyu Jung | Cover: Sara Pichelli, Chris Sprouse (LucasFilm 50th Anniversary), Sara Pichelli (Carbonite variant), Ron Frenz

"PARTY FAVORS"

CRIMSON DAWN is back, and DOCTOR APHRA is trapped aboard their ship! What treasures lie aboard the VERMILLION? And what price will Aphra have to pay to obtain them?

Star Wars: War of the Bounty Hunters #5 (of 5)

Marvel | Teen | $4.99

Story: Charles Soule | Art: Luke Ross | Covers: Steve McNiven, Ron Frenz, John Tyler Christopher (Action Figure variant), Chris Sprouse (LucasFilm 50th Anniversary), Steve McNiven (Carbonite variant), Carlo Pagulayan

THE ULTIMATE FINALE! THE BIGGEST EVENT OF THE YEAR CHANGES THE FACE OF THE GALAXY!

Everything and everyone in the galaxy is against bounty hunter BOBA FETT, from Sith Lords to Hutt rulers to the mysterious CRIMSON DAWN. He can't succeed. There's no way he can regain HAN SOLO, escape the bounties on his head, and survive to get his prize to JABBA THE HUTT and get paid. But HAN SOLO belongs to him, and no one will take him away. With a shocker of an ending that sets up a revolutionary new status quo for STAR WARS COMICS!

CC sez: It's over! It's over! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sorry. That's not a comment on the quality of the series, just my relief that I don't have to post these previews every week any more. For the record, "War of the Bounty Hunters" ran through 34 issues, beginning on May 5 and ending on Oct. 13.

WONDER WOMAN 80TH ANNIVERSARY

Wonder Woman #780

DC Comics | $4.99

Story: Becky Cloonan, Michael W. Conrad | Art/Cover: Travis Moore | Variant: Becky Cloonan

The iconic Super Hero returns in the ongoing Wonder Woman series featuring writers Becky Cloonan and Michael W. Conrad and art by Travis Moore. After the events of Death Metal, Diana finally makes it back from her unforgettable odyssey through the Sphere of the Gods! Has the world moved on without her? This special oversize story paves the way into an exciting new future for the greatest hero of them all.

CC sez: Is it cheating to include the regular monthly book as part of the "80th anniversary celebration"? Can't hurt, I guess.

Wonder Woman by George Perez Vol 6 TPB

DC Comics | $29.99

Story/Cover: George Perez | Art: George Perez, Jill Thompson, Cynthia Martin

FINAL VOLUME! In 1987, writer and artist George Pérez reinvented Wonder Woman from the ground up, helping to shape the pop culture icon as fans know her today. This collection includes the final stories of Pérez’s five-year Wonder Woman run from Wonder Woman #58-62 and War of the Gods #1-4.

CC sez: Is it cheating to include the regular reprint books as part of the "80th anniversary celebration"? Can't hurt, I guess.

Wonder Woman: The Adventures of Young Diana Special #1 one-shot

DC Comics | $9.99

Story: Jordie Bellaire | Art/Cover: Paulina Ganucheau

The world may know her as Wonder Woman, but once upon a time she was Diana, the young princess of Themyscira. Back then, she struggled to find her place on an island deemed paradise by many, but which was, to her, a prison. Trapped in her role as a royal and shielded from the harsh realities of Man’s World, Diana yearned for adventure, or at least a purpose. So when ancient texts portraying her home’s history go missing, she gets both. How far will our hero go to find the texts and the truths they’re hiding? Find out in this exciting story that promises to be a classic for for years to come! Collected together for the first time, these backup stories by Eisner Award-winner Jordie Bellaire and rising star Paulina Ganucheau provide an intimate look into Wonder Woman’s upbringing and dangerous secrets of her past you’ll never forget!

CC sez: I read the whole GN when it first came out (and reviewed, I bet), and what I remember is that it was charming. Check out this excerpt to see for yourself.

ADVENTURES INTO THE UNKNOWN

Electric Black Dark Caravan #1

Scout | $3.99

Story: Joseph Schmalke, Rich Woodall | Art: Rich Woodall | Ar/Cover: Joseph Schmalke

Halloween is upon us and it's the perfect time of year to revisit the employees at our eerie emporium. The Yellow Stranger guides June and Jack through the origin tale of The Electric Black itself. Questions will be answered, mysteries will be uncovered and grisly murders will occur in this very special issue that bridges the events of The Electric Black and The Electric Black Presents.

CC sez: "The Electric Black" is a great name for a band.

Et-Er Oneshot #1

AWA | $3.99

Story: Jeff McComsey, Dan Panosian | Art: Javier Pulido, Shawn Crystal | Cover: Andrew Robinson

Intergalactic virus liquefy one of your heads? Feeling a bit "off" ever since you drove through that black hole? Then visit the ET-ER, the galaxy's leading medical facility. This interplanetary crew of doctors, nurses, paramedics and technicians is uniquely qualified to cure what ails you. There's no planet too far, no asteroid too small, no patient too, well alien –– and they accept most forms of insurance. This super-sized debut special includes two stories of medical madness that are out of this world.

CC sez: M*A*S*H-type humor in space? That makes me tired just thinking about it.

Midnight Sky TPB

Scout | $24.99

Story: James Pruett | Art/Cover: Scott Van Domelen

What would you do if you discovered your son wasn't really your son? He may look like him, act like him, but deep down in your soul, you just know ... that he's been replaced. Then your worst fears are realized when the light hits his face just right and you accidentally see his true appearance for yourself. But he isn't the only one you discover –– your neighbor, your friend, even your husband. Do you scream? Do you run? Or do you fight back? Enter the dystopian world of the Midnight Sky where the sunlight has long since faded behind an impenetrable atmosphere leaving only the eternal darkness behind and your best hope for survival is to trust no one.

CC sez: I already trust no one! But this does sound interesting.

Night Fisher 15th Anniversary Edition HC

Fantagraphics | $19.99

Story/Art/Cover: R. Kikuo Johnson

Two Maui high school students, Loren and Shane, get mixed up in a petty crime, and their friendship is put to the test. One of the most critically lauded graphic novel debuts in the medium's history is now in hardcover for the first time!

First-rate prep school, SUV, and a dream house in the heights –– an island paradise was handed to Loren Foster when he moved to Hawaii with his father six years ago. Now, with the end of high school just around the corner, his best friend, Shane, has grown distant. Rumors abound. Loren suspects that Shane has left him behind for a new group of friends. Their friendship is put to the test when they get mixed up in a petty crime. Johnson has a naturalistic ease in exploring these relationships, which sets this drama apart. This graphic novel debut is at once an unsentimental portrait of that most awkward period between adolescence and young adulthood and that rarest of things –– a mature depiction of immature lives. His lush-yet-unsentimental-depiction of Maui creates an immersive, visceral sense of place.

In 2006, critics heralded R. Kikuo Johnson's Night Fisher as one of the most exciting debuts in the medium's history. Johnson won the prestigious Russ Manning Newcomer Award at the 2006 Eisner Awards, the Harvey Award for Best New Talent and a Harvey Award nomination for Best Graphic Novel.

CC sez: I've never heard of this, but it apparently won some awards.

Painted TPB

Humanoids | Mature |$19.99

Story: Helen Mullane | Art: Katia Vecchio

Selene and Sophie are typical high-school girls. One day, when Selene's period is used to make her the target of schoolwide humiliation, she realizes it's time for a revolution. Inspired by the Celtic face-painted warriors of her ancestry, Selene sets out with her friends to challenge the patriarchy. But when the ferocity of the real world comes crashing in, the girls' identities are shattered, and they are left to pick up the pieces all on their own.

Painted deals unapologetically with bullying, violence, language, drug use, death, the bonds of sisterhood and –– above all –– the power of friendship.

CC sez: The art says "YA," but the blurb says "Mature."

Recidivist IV TPB

Secret Acres | $19.95

Story/Art/Cover: Zak Sally

A man searches for his lost teeth to complete his masterwork. Another embraces ghosts in an act of vengeance. Children escape from a ruined house to find a revelation. A wanderer leaves everything behind and discovers the infinite. Part resignation letter, part manifesto, the stories in Zak Sally's Recidivist IV comprise a medium-defying visual experience of the freedom in obscurity. Recidivist IV, Best American Comics Notable Comic, is his masterpiece.

CC sez: What Th--?

Rise of the Djinn #1 (of 3)

Zenescope | 36 pages | $5.99

Story: Kevin Grevioux Cover: Paolo Pantalena

Things couldn't be worse for Tamara Brazile.  A highly decorated and venerable police detective with almost fifteen years of experience on the job, her world comes crashing down around her when her husband is murdered at the hands of a serial killer she had been pursuing.  And to make matters worse, she is diagnosed with Stage IV for breast cancer before she has a chance to bring the killer to justice.  But as fate would have it, she is given a second chance at life when she discovers that she is a descendant of an ancient race of DJINN (genies), with the power to cure herself and others.  However, there is a catch:  She can only keep the power so long as she aids a pair of evil djinn bring an ancient djinn named Arghan back to life to aid them in a coming war amongst the other djinn of the world.

A war which could usher in an age of misery and strife for mankind.

CC sez: Evidently Zenescope realized that all of their sexy, top-heavy heroines were white. So now they have a sexy, top-heavy heroine of color.

Salt Magic GN

Margaret Ferguson Books | $14.99

Story: Hope Larson | Art: Rebecca Mock

When Vonceil's older brother, Elber, comes home to their family's Oklahoma farm after serving on the front lines of World War I, things aren't what she expects. His experiences have changed him into a serious and responsible man who doesn't have time for Vonceil anymore. He even marries the girl he had left behind. Then a mysterious and captivating woman shows up at the farm and confronts Elber for leaving her in France. When he refuses to leave his wife, she puts a curse on the family well, turning the entire town's water supply into saltwater. Who is this lady dressed all in white, what has she done to the farm, and what does Vonceil's old uncle Dell know about her? Available in softcover and hardcover editions.

CC sez: Hell hath no fury, amirite? Seriously, that's a trope that needs to go away. But the book could be interesting anyway, just because of the post-WWI setting.

Some Strange Disturbances: Cold Winter’s Eve one-shot

Headless Shakespeare Press | Mature | $7.99

Story: Craig Hurd-McKenny, David Aguado, various | Art: Peter Gross, Vince Locke, Various | Cover: Tyler Smith Owings

With a break in the action, Prescott, Delilah and The Comtesse share in the tradition of sharing Victorian ghost stories on Christmas Eve. As the stories unfold, each crafted by a different comic book creator, the night builds to the biggest shock of all ... a ghastly visitor!

CC sez: I'm just amazed to discover that there is a publisher named "Headless Shakespeare Press."

World of Darkness #1

Vault Comics | $3.99

Story: Tini Howard, Blake Howard, Jim Zub, Tim Seeley, Danny Lore | Art: Julius Ohta | Colors: Addison Duke | Letters: Deron Bennett | Design: Ti Daniel | Covers: Aaron Campbel, Joshua Hixson

Vault Comics is thrilled to announce World of Darkness: Crimson Thaw, a multi-property World of Darkness event that spins out of Vault’s smash hit Vampire: The Masquerade comic book series. In World of Darkness, there is more lurking in the shadows than just vampires, and this event will shine a light on just what else hides in the night. 

In World of Darkness: Crimson Thaw, Cecily Bain has become everything she never wanted as The Prince of the Twin Cities. But her rule over a fractured, backbiting vampire court is interrupted by an intruder — something big, hairy, and full of teeth. For over a century, werewolves of the Twin Cities have protected their blessed places from threats both physical and spiritual. When vampires under Cecily rule move in on one of these precious sites, it’s a declaration of war, one that Tyrell ‘the Stainless’ Stinar and his ferocious pack will avenge at any cost.

Making the series even tastier for fans of Vampire: The Masquerade, each issue of World of Darkness: Crimson Thaw will include exclusive gaming material for Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition of the tabletop RPG from Renegade Game Studios, allowing players to actually play the events of the series in their own games. 

"The World of Darkness has ignited my imagination for a long time and working with our incredible team to write this Kindred-Garou throwdown brought all those feelings back in such a wild way,” said Jim Zub. “Crimson Thaw is big, bloody and oh so memorable, and I can't wait for readers to see what we have in store."

"The best part of working on Vampire: The Masquerade has been collaborating with all the other creators and editors, almost like playing the greatest monthly RPG session ever,'' added Tim Seeley. “Adding my old friend Jim Zub, awesome new talent Danny Lore, and a ton of werewolves just makes the game that much more engrossing, scary, and fun."

CC sez: Well, they sure had a lot to say! I did find the Vampire: The Masquerade FCBD issue well done.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• CC sez: Hey, Whovians: Is there a reason Missy is drawn like an evil Mary Poppins? Some inside joke I'm not getting?

No,the whole "Scary Poppins" thing is just part of her character. It's deliberate.  There's even a scene in "Death in Heaven" where she descends from the sky via umbrella.

• I can see why she's popular. That's a hoot.

• Immortal Hulk #50 - I'm Omnibus-waiting this one (more hoping than planning, I guess) and am more excited than I usually am by ol' Greenskin. I don't know what happens in this series, but clearly it's a lot more complicated than "Hulk smash puny human." - I really hope you dig this series, Cap. This is honestly the first time I've ever stuck with a Hulk comic for any length of time. So, even if you hate it, lie to me. :P

Batman: The Long Halloween Special - For me this was the best thing Jeph Loeb has done. I'll be getting this.

CC sez: Will a YA monthly work? I don't know that younger readers will trek to the comic shop every month for four months. Well, maybe I'm underestimating them. - Doesn't that depend on if there parents are willing to take them?

CC sez: Is anybody on this board reading any Bad Idea books? Since you can only get them at a "location store," I've never seen one. - Not me! I've never seen on either.

CC sez: I'm still amazed that this book lasted as long as Jack Kirby on Fantastic Four. - That's funny.

Star Wars: Bounty Hunter Wars - CC sez: It's over! It's over! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! - I have some bad news,Cap. Apparently the Bounty Hunter Wars if the first part of a planned trilogy of crossovers. I dunno, if I can do two more. I will at least be cutting down my purchases.

• IMMORTAL HULK: "I'm Omnibus-waiting this one (more hoping than planning, I guess)"

I think you'll be pleased. And I'll bet there'llbe an omnibus as well.

THE MIRROR WAR: "I'm just glad to see an ambitious Trek project."

The recently-completed (25 issue) Star Trek: Year Five was pretty ambitious. 

SPIDER-MAN #76: "...and then I can go back to ignoring Spider-Man."

I, too, have been ignoring Spider-Man (since "One More Day" for me), but I look at it differently. Spider-Man has been unreadable for so long that, if they want to "undo" what has come before, I'm in favor of it. That's the same way I looked at the original "Ben Reilly" era, come to think of it.

BATMAN '89 #3: "Who d'ya suppose that is on the cover?... This world's version of Barbara Gordon?"

It is. Police Commissioner Barbara Gordon. 

DOCTOR WHO: MISSY #1: "...And if you're missing Michelle Gomez..."

If anyone's missing her as Missy, check out Big Finish.

ETERNALS: "I'm starting to suspect I should be picking up these one-shots and the ongoing series to inform me about the movie."

That's exactly why I'll be giving them as pass. 

KA-ZAR #2: I read #1, decided that was enough.

NEXUS: Originally solicited for April 2020 in two formats (tpb and full tabloid size). It was resolicited for late summer (August, I think), but the entire Rude household came down with COVID (according to Rude's newsletter). 

BAD IDEA: "Is anybody on this board reading any Bad Idea books?"

My LCS carries them but, no, I've never read one. (Decided to take them at their word, I guess.) 

• Travis, how was "War of the Bounty Hunters"? Was it worth the commitment, or was it a time- and money-suck, or somewhere in between? Would you recommend the omnibus, should one appear?

Sorry to hear Ka-Zar wasn't your cup of tea, Jeff. I'm enjoying your Ka-Zar thread.

I didn't realize Star Trek: Year Five was an event. I thought it was just a title, used as shorthand to let potential readers know it was TOS. Did you read it, Jeff? And is it worth buying in collected form?

• "I didn't realize Star Trek: Year Five was an event."

It's raison d'etre was to tell the entire final year of the "five year mission"  so, yes, I'd classify it as an "event." In 2007, IDW released Star Trek: Year Four, but it lasted only six issues; at 25 issues, Year Five at least makes a stab at covering 12 consecutive months. 

"Did you read it, Jeff? And is it worth buying in collected form?"

Yes, I read it, but your second question is more difficult to answer than your first. I'm not as enthusiastic about it as I was John Byrne photo-novel series, but Year Five got off to a strong start, then kind of tapered off for me toward the end. If you think of the entire series as an arc, then that arc comprises several interconnected storylines. One thing about the series that I found increasingly annoying was how anachronistic it was, that is, it's very 21st century, sometimes annoyingly so. Other than that, it's "wordy" in a good sense (in other words, each issue takes longer than five minutes to read), and all of the characters speak in the "voice" we remember from TV. I would recommend trying the first tpb collection, then decide whether or not to continue. 

• Captain Comics said:

Travis, how was "War of the Bounty Hunters"? Was it worth the commitment, or was it a time- and money-suck, or somewhere in between? Would you recommend the omnibus, should one appear?

Let me preface this by saying crossovers usually disappoint me. Also, I haven't finished it yet. Unless the ending really dazzles me, it was okay. There were definitely some great scenes, which I won't spoil for anyone interested.

It did feel like some series were shoehorned into it. I don't know a ton about Dr. Aphra, but I have no idea what she was doing here. Even Dart Vader, which I'm reading, seemed like we had to drop or quickly wrap-up the current storyline to get to WotBH. I did enjoy some of the one-shots, which kind of surprised me honestly.

The outfit behind the whole thing, their motivation kind of left me scratching my head. Finally, I as I mentioned before, finding out this is the first part of a trilogy kind of killed some of my enthusiasm for it. Does this mean we have a year plus of crossovers to look forward to? I sure hope not.

• "I would recommend trying the first tpb collection, then decide whether or not to continue."

I should have said "suggest" rather than "recommend." 

This reply was deleted.