Captain Comics sez: Don't forget Batman Day this week, on Saturday, Sept. 18. Go here for more info.

THE TOP 5

Batman: The World HC

DC Comics | 184 pages | $24.99

Story: Various | Art: Various | Cover: Lee Bermejo

DC takes Batman’s war on crime worldwide in a new hardcover anthology, Batman: The World. This 184-page book will feature Batman stories by creative teams from across the globe, taking place in their home countries. This original Batman project launches worldwide on Tuesday, Sept. 14, 2021, and the complete anthology will be localized to North America, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, the Czech Republic, Russia, Poland, Turkey, Mexico, Brazil, China, Korea and Japan. This global collaboration is the first of its kind for DC, so join us for this phenomenon, proving that Batman is a true pop culture icon — and that the call for justice knows no borders.

Each international version of Batman: The World will also feature its own unique cover art by the local creative team.

CC sez: This is a must-buy for me. Just cast your eyes on the beautiful art below. All the best artists want to draw Batman!

UNITED STATES
“Global City”

Story: Brian Azzarello | Art: Lee Bermejo

Batman reflects on his time in Gotham, protecting his city and its inhabitants from all manner of threats. But when he looks beyond the bridges, alleys and skyscrapers, the Dark Knight realizes that the call for justice knows no borders, as there are wrongs to be righted everywhere. Their story sets off a series of tales chronicling Batman’s past and present, stories told by some of the best-known international voices in comics.

FRANCE

Story: Mathieu Gabella | Art: Thierry Martin

SPAIN

Story/Art: Paco Roca 

ITALY

Story: Alessandro Bilotta | Art: Nicola Mari

GERMANY

Story: Benjamin von Eckartsberg | Art: Thomas von Kummant

CZECH REPUBLIC

Story: Stepan Kopriva | Art: Michal Suchánek

POLAND

Story: Tomasz Kolodziejczak | Art: Piotr Kowalski, Brad Simpson

TURKEY

Story: Ertan Ergil | Art: Ethem Onur Bilgiç

MEXICO

Story: Alberto Chimal | Art: Rulo Valdés

BRAZIL

Story: Carlos Estefan | Art: Pedro Mauro

KOREA

Story: Inpyo Jeon | Art: Jae-kwang Park, Kim Jung Gi

CHINA

Story: Xu Xiaodong, Lu Xiaotong | Art: Qiu Kun, Yi Nan

RUSSIA

Story: Kirill Kutuzov, Egor Prutov | Art: Natalia Zaidova

JAPAN

Story/Art: Okadaya Yuichi

Eternals: Thanos Rises #1

Marvel | Teen+ | $3.99

Story: Kieron Gillen | Art: Dustin Weaver | Cover: Esad Ribic | Variant: Iban Coello | Variant: Ron Lim | Head Shot variant: Todd Nauck

Eternals are created, not born. They have families, but their families make no new children. It's simply not what Eternals do.  Some of them thought they could find a way to change that and believed it would be for the best. They were terribly, terribly wrong.

CC sez: Wait, this is new, right? That Eternals don't normally have children, and Thanos and Eros are unique, in that their birth was some kind of experiment? If it's a retcon, I kinda like it. It would explain a lot.

Hellboy & BPRD: 1957  Family Ties one-shot

Dark Horse | $3.99

Story: Mike Mignola, Chris Roberson | Art/Cover: Laurence Campbell

This September, Dark Horse Comics will publish Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1957 — Family Ties, the first of a series of five suspense-filled, stand-alone and interconnected one-shots that will conclude the Hellboy & The BPRD 1950s comics and set the stage for a new Hellboy & The BPRD set during the tumult of the 1960s. Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1957 — Family Ties is co-written by legendary Hellboy creator Mike Mignola and bestselling iZombie co-creator Chris Roberson, featuring art and a cover by Laurence Campbell, coloring by Eisner Award-winning colorist Dave Stewart and lettering by Clem Robins. Each of the 5 interconnected one shots will feature a different artist; each comic will feature a cover by the extraordinary Laurence Campbell:

• Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1957 —  Family Ties, featuring art by Laurence Campbell
  • Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1957 — Forgotten Lives, featuring art by Stephen Green;
  • Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1957 —  Fearful Symmetry, featuring art by Alison Sampson
  • Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1957 — Falling Sky, featuring art by Shawn Martinbrough)
  • Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1957 —  From Below, featuring art by Mike Norton

Before they can track down an errant copy of Gustav Strobl’s Witchcraft and Demonology, Hellboy and B.P.R.D. agent Susan Xiang are sidetracked by a beset housewife’s pleas for help in Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1957 — Family Ties. Unraveling the mystery of an unwanted house guest may lead the occult investigators right to where they wanted to be, but also right into demonic danger.

CC sez: I've been whining in this space for a while about how dead Hellboy is. Call me slow, but it took this press release to make me understand that Hellboy's adventures are ongoing, but as continuity implants set before he was introduced in 1993. So we still have the '60s, '70s and '80s to go. That's gonna be a lot of Hellboy.

Primoridal #1

Image | $3.99

Story: Jeff Lemire | Art/Cover A: Andrea Sorrentino | Cover B: Christian Ward | Cover C by Dustin Nguyen | Cover D by Yuko Shimizu | Cover E blank | Cover F (1:25) virgin incentive copy | Cover G (1:50) raw virgin B&W incentive copy | Cover H (1:75) Moon Footprint incentive copy | Cover I (1:100) incentive copy by Lemire

Mind-bending sci-fi collides with Cold War thriller in this six-issue miniseries by the bestselling and Eisner-winning creative team behind GIDEON FALLS!

In 1957, the USSR launched the dog, Laika, into Earth's orbit. Two years later, the USA responded with two monkeys, Able and Baker. These animals never returned. But, unbeknownst to everyone, they did not die in orbit ... they were taken. And now they are coming home.

This upcoming high-intensity story is perhaps best described as 2001: A Space Odyssey meets We3.

Does Jeff Lemire ever sleep? Well, he rarely disappoints, so this one is worth a look. (Although if he hurts Laika, there will be no forgiveness. I've already read one graphic novel about that dog that wrecked me.)

Vampiverse #1

Dynamite | 32 pages | Teen+ | $3.99

Story: Tom Sniegoski, Jeannine Acheson | Art: Daniel Maine | Cover A: Adam Hughes | Cover B: Stephen Segovia | Cover C: Maria Sanapo | Cover D: Meghan Hetrick | Cover E: Cosplay | Cover F: Daniel Maine | Cover G: Robert Castro

A different Vampirella for every thread — for every kind of story — across the fabric of time and space.  A Vampirella of every conceivable notion born to protect her particular reality ... but now something — someone — is killing them and stealing away their precious life energies and growing in power.  It is up to the Vampirella of one of these universes to gather some of her special sisters to stop this growing threat and keep it from destroying the Creator of all things — the Artist — and preventing the unraveling of all reality.

CC sez: Evidently Sonjaversal was successful, because Dynamite's doing something similar with Vampirella. I don't mind a bit — seeing multiversal takes on Sonja was a lot of fun — and how can I resist an Adam Hughes cover?

OTHER ITEMS OF INTEREST

Batman ‘89 #2 (of 6)DC Comics | $3.99

Story: Sam Hamm | Art/Cover: Joe Quinones | Variant: Mitch Gerads

A showdown in Burnside leaves both Batman and the Gotham borough reeling. As the community rallies together behind Harvey Dent, can Bruce find a way forward for both Batman and the city?

CC sez: This is just tremendous fun, even if you're not old enough to have seen the 1989 Batman in the theaters (which I am, and is a memory I cherish). If nothing else, this series finally shows us what Billy Dee Williams would look like as Two-Face (sorta).

Does anyone know why Tommy Lee Jones got the role in Batman Forever instead of Williams? It felt a bit bait-and-switchy at the time, since we saw Williams as Harvey Dent first. I always wondered what Williams would have done as Two-Face; since Jones just channeled Jack Nicholson's Joker instead of doing something original, Williams certainly couldn't have done any worse.

Fantastic Four #35

Marvel | Teen | $9.99

Story: Dan Slott, Mark Waid, Jason Loo | Art: John Romita, Paul Renaud, Jason Loo | Cover: Mark Brooks | Variant: Betsy Cola | Variant: John Romita Jr. | Variant: Netease | Variant: Elizabeth Torque

A TITANIC 60TH ANNIVERSARY ISSUE!

The entire Kang bloodline is out to destroy every era of the Fantastic Four! How can Reed, Sue, Ben and Johnny hope to survive simultaneous attacks across their lifetimes by Rama Tut, the Scarlet Centurion, Kang the Conqueror and Kang's final descendant, the sinister Scion?! Join the FF and some special surprise guest stars as John Romita Jr. returns to Marvel and joins forces with writer Dan Slott for this celebratory adventure! Marvel's First Family will literally never be the same again!

Plus: Mark Waid and Paul Renaud deliver dramatic new insights into the origin of the fabulous foursome in an all-new anniversary tale!

CC sez: Whenever Marvel briefly celebrates its First Family, I'm always grateful, but that gratitude is always tempered with sadness that "The World's Greatest Comic Magazine" has so little importance in the Marvel Universe, and is such a mediocre seller.

And I think I know why. It's the same argument I make about Superman in another thread.

What made the Silver Age Fantastic Four so great was that the FF story kept expanding — they were explorers, and kept discovering new characters and civilizations that then became supporting characters. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby introduced The Watcher, the Skrulls, the Kree, Black Panther, Silver Surfer, Dr. Doom, Galactus, Sub-Mariner, Dragon Man, Mole Man, Moloids, the Inhumans, and more — as supporting characters! They added as locales like Latveria, the Blue Area of the Moon, the Great Refuge, Kree-Lar, Skrullos, Atlantis, Wakanda, Mole Man's underground kingdom, the Microverse and more. The explosion of creativity and ambition in Fantastic Four created the background radiation of the Marvel Universe, and almost all the other books stood on that foundation in some way, as it kept widening the scope of the MU by leaps and bounds.

But then an embittered Kirby decided to not create any more characters in FF. And even after he was gone, Fantastic Four was still running in place, regurgitating the wonder years over and over. Eventually Fantastic Four's connection to other books became vestigial, and the title was no longer a must-read. It became, static, self-isolated and superfluous to the wider Marvel Universe.

It stopped growing. And in shared-universe comics, that means irrelevancy.

Sure, Isaac Perlmutter deliberately stunted the title a few years back, but Fantastic Four was already on life support. He just pulled the plug. It was years of neglect, of the FF universe shrinking instead of growing, that was the unkindest cut.

Like Superman, Fantastic Four has to keep growing its world, or it dies. Like a shark that stops swimming.

IMHO, anyway.

Harley Quinn: The Animated Series — The Eat, Bang, Kill Tour #1 (of 6)

DC Comics | $3.99

Story: Tee Franklin | Art/Cover: Max Sarin | Card Stock variant ($4.99): Michael Cho |

Harley and Ivy on the road trip of the century! Following the wedding disaster of the decade, Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy end up on the run from Commissioner Gordon and the GCPD! But as fun as all that sounds, Ivy still worries over leaving Kite Man at the altar. … Luckily, Harley’s got the perfect scheme to shake her out of her wedding-day blues!

CC sez: DC has been criticized (and I think fairly) for "straightwashing" Harley Quinn now that she's a leading character. And, heck, Poison Ivy isn't even human any more, so there's no road back. The R-rated cartoon, on the other hand, went in the opposite direction, with the Harley-Poison Ivy romantic relationship a B-plot that eventually became the A-plot by the season finale.

As you can see from the cover above, this comic book spinoff from the cartoon isn't tippy-toeing around the lead duo's sexuality, either! And since I enjoyed the heck out of the cartoon, I imagine I'll enjoy this book just as much. Maybe more, since I love comics more than cartoons anyway.

I Am Batman #1

DC Comics | $3.99

Story: John Ridley | Art/Cover: Olivier Coipel | Greg Capullo | Francesco Mattina

In the throes of Future State, the streets of Gotham City cry for justice and Jace Fox answers the call! With a new and improved Bat-Suit, Jace hits the streets to inspire and protect … as he follows the trail of the voice of misinformation and violence — the anarchistic Anti-Oracle! Can the new Dark Knight counterbalance their plan to inspire armed rebellion in the citizens of Gotham?! Can one man inspire a city?

CC sez: This didn't make the Top 5 because despite being a No. 1, it's really the second issue of this series, given last month's I Am Batman #0. If you take into account The Next Batman: Second Son, then this could be considered the sixth issue of Jace Fox's adventures. Add Future State: The Next Batman, and it's the 10th issue. Toss in the ongoing Future State: Gotham and I lose count how long Jace Fox has been swanning around as the Next Dark Knight.

So Fox's origin has been a work in progress for a while now. But this is his official start.

Maw #1 (of 5)

Boom! Studios | $3.99

Story: Jude Ellison S. Doyle | Art: A.L. Kaplan | Cover: Ariela Kristantina | Variant: Megan Hutchinson-Cates | Variant: Abigail Jill Harding

What happens when one woman becomes the real monster society has always made her out to be?  Dragged by her sister Wendy to a feminist retreat on the remote island of Angitia, Marion Angela Weber hopes to gain some perspective and empowerment ... that isn't at the bottom of a bottle.  But everything is horribly derailed after an assault on their first night there. The violent encounter awakens something in Marion she never imagined, triggering warped mutations in her body, and awakening a hunger she can't bring herself to name.  When the townsfolk react with suspicion and violence, what unforgivable act will transform Marion into the very monster they've made her out to be?  A provocative five-issue horror series by award-winning journalist and opinion writer Jude Ellison S. Doyle (Dead Blondes and Bad Mothers: Monstrosity, Patriarchy, and the Fear of Female Power) and artist A.L. Kaplan (Full Spectrum Therapy) that explores the anger of women trapped by society's expectations and the reclamation of power through collective rage, perfect for readers of Redlands and Something is Killing the Children.

CC sez: This kinda puts me in mind of movies like Jennifer's Body and Midsommar — female empowerment stories that take a dark, often ironic turn. After millennia of toxic masculinity, it's only fair that toxic femininity gets a turn.

And social commentary aside, Maw looks good and creepy.

Titans United #1 (of 7)

DC Comics | $3.99

Story: Cavan Scott | Art: Jose Luis | Cover: Jamal Campbell | Kael Ngu

The Titans face their greatest challenge — their own powers! Nightwing, Donna Troy, Superboy, Starfire, Raven, Beast Boy and Red Hood kick off a thrilling new case that will lead one of their own to question not only their place on the team, but their very existence.

CC sez: As the Titans series on HBO Max has become more Bat-centric, I came to the realization that I like that approach — and always have. It dawned on me that the biggest draw to any iteration to any Titans series for me has always been Dick Grayson. (Even pre-Nightwing!) He's simply the most complex and interesting of the group, the one with the most experience and resources, the one without whom the Teen Titans have no gravitas, and really do a look a little bit like kids trying on their parents' clothes.

While the solo Nightwing title has never held much allure for me, I love Dick Grayson in a group, and especially as the internally conflicted but outwardly ultra-competent leader of the Titans.

To my delight, here's another series that focuses on Dick Grayson leading the same Titans seen on HBO. And hey, they're all still alive! What's not to love?

Unearthed: A Jessica Cruz Story TPB

DC Comics | $16.99

Story: Lilliam Rivera | Art/Cover: Steph C.

Jessica Cruz has done everything right. She's a dedicated student, popular among her classmates, and has a loving family that has done everything they can to give her a better life in the United States. Jessica usually worries for her undocumented parents, but her fears and anxiety escalate as a mayoral candidate with a strong anti-immigration stance runs for office.

As the xenophobia in Coast City increases, Jessica begins to debate if it’s worth staying in the U.S. or moving back to her home in Mexico. And despite her attempts to lean on her friends and family, she finds herself constantly visited by visions of Aztec gods, one pulling her toward hope and the other toward anger.

But when her father is detained by I.C.E., Jessica finds herself being pulled into an abyss of anxiety. Despite feeling helpless with her father, Jessica must find her way out of her fears and ultimately become a voice for her community.

CC sez: I'm pleased that DC is using some of its non-white and/or non-male characters in YA adventures that are inclusive to a fault. These teen versions of the characters may not adhere to canon — let's pretend they live on Earth-YA — but they don't really need to. The audiences who will be drawn to these books won't be old enough to be outraged about changes in continuity, and those long-neglected audiences need and deserve meaningful versions of the characters that "belong" to them.

EVENTS/CROSSOVERS

EXTREME CARNAGE

Extreme Carnage: Agony #1

Marvel | Teen+ | $3.99

Story: Alyssa Wong | Art: Fran Galan | Cover: Skan | Variant: Jeff Johnson | Variant: Skottie Young

ENTER: AGONY! As the odds (and symbiotes!) stack against our heroes, is there any way they can win against Carnage?

CC sez: Dear God, another Venom spinoff? This has become absurd.

LAST ANNIHILATION

Last Annihilation: Wakanda #1

Marvel | Teen+ | $4.99

Story: Evan Narcisse | Art: German Peralta | Cover: Philip Tan | Variant: Ernanda Souza

With the universe itself at stake, Black Panther enlists the might of the Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda to help stop the dreaded Dormammu! And leading the Wakandan forces is none other than the legendary M'Baku! Will T'Challa and M'Baku be able to defeat Dormammu's army of Mindless Ones? Don't miss this critical chapter of the LAST ANNIHILATION event as a new hero emerges!

CC sez: This event seems to be taking place in slow motion. Honestly, it's taking the heroes so long to get organized that I'm amazed Dormammu hasn't won already.

WAR OF THE BOUNTY HUNTERS

Star Wars: Darth Vader #16

Marvel | Teen | $3.99

Story: Greg Pak | Art: Raffaele Ienco | Cover: Aaron Kuder | Blueprint variant: Paolo Villanelli | LucasFilm 50th Anniversary variant: Chris Sprouse

"TARGET SKYWALKER"

All of DARTH VADER'S careful scheming and brutal power moves to claim HAN SOLO'S frozen body have one ultimate end goal: LUKE SKYWALKER, the only person who could challenge Vader's primacy at the Emperor's side. Now everything comes to a head as father closes in on son and Luke finally grasps a shocking truth ... one that will shape his destiny FOREVER!

CC sez: I've run out of things to say about this never-ending story.

Star Wars: War of the Bounty Hunters — Boushh #1

Marvel | Teen | $4.99

Story: Alyssa Wong | Art: David Baldeon | Cover: Mahmud Asrar | Variant:

Paolo Villanelli | Phil Noto

THE SECRET ORIGIN OF BOUSHH!

Before PRINCESS LEIA acquired his armor to infiltrate Jabba the Hutt's palace, BOUSHH roamed the galaxy as a bounty hunter. He and his team of lethal warriors were exiled from their homeworld; but what horrible event from Boushh's past doomed them all to wander with no hope of ever returning? Desperate to survive, Boushh takes a suspicious job from a shadowy organization to assassinate DOMINA TAGGE, the leader of the powerful Tagge Family — a galactic dynasty stretching back countless generations. But Domina is the most dangerous enemy Boushh has ever faced, and the desperate exile has the most difficult choice of his life to make! ALYSSA WONG and David Balde n'S one-shot is the third of four action-packed "War of the Bounty Hunters" tie-ins about the criminal underworld's most notorious hunters and scoundrels, all told by the best STAR WARS writers and illustrators in the galaxy.

ADVENTURES INTO THE UNKNOWN

20 Fists TPB

Source Point Press | Mature | $9.99

Story: Frankee White | Art: Kat Baumann

This is a comic about fist fights and bad romance. The No Names are new to the 20 Fists Fight League. As they begin to make a name for themselves the worst possible thing happens: Their leader, Chel, falls for Billie, the leader of their rival crew, The Big Jackets. Now, with their crews about to meet up for another battle, Chel and Billie need to decide ... to make love or war?

CC sez: So this is ... a female Fight Club meets West Side Story cum lesbian rom-com? I think? I always say there should be comics that appeal to people other than me, and this sure qualifies. Have at it, female-Fight-Club-meets-West-Side-Story-cum-lesbian-rom-com fans!

Disney Masters Vol 18: Uncle Scrooge — Pie in the Sky HC

Fantagraphics | $29.99

Story: William Van Horn, John Lustig | Art: Bill Riling

Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck battle old foes and ancient curses in wild comics adventures by fan-favorite artist William Van Horn!

Scrooge McDuck is an ace treasure hunter, but is he a flying ace? When Scrooge enters the infamous Flitterwobble Airplane Show as a stunt pilot, he ends up defending his life, his rep — and his priceless antique Sopwith Two-Seater plane from the bombastic Baron Von Strudel!

Canadian Disney Comics writer/artist William Van Horn has been a beloved Donald and Uncle Scrooge talent since 1987 — but only his DuckTales stories have been anthologized in modern times. By popular demand, this volume begins a comprehensive collection of his Uncle Scrooge and Donald adventures!

CC sez: I don't usually pay attention to the non-Carl Barks duck offerings, but Fantagraphics sent me a press release, and it's a first issue of a sort, so here's your heads-up if you're into Van Horn.

Frank Pe Little Nemo HC

Magnetic Press | $19.99

Story/Art/Cover: Frank Pe

The classic comic strip character Little Nemo, created by the legendary Windsor McCay in 1905, is given brand new life through a collection of beautiful and whimsical new adventures by celebrated author Frank Pé.

CC sez: I don't know how good or bad this is, but I have to say that it takes either supreme confidence or staggering stupidity (or both) to step into Winsor McCay's shoes.

Mao Vol 1 GN

Viz | 192 pages | Teen+ | $9.99

Story/Art/Cover: Rumiko Takahashi

Exorcise your destiny in an era-spanning supernatural adventure from manga legend Rumiko Takahashi!

Teenage Nanoka travels back in time to early 19th-century Japan and meets teenage exorcist Mao. What is the thread of fate that connects them? Together, they seek answers ... and kick some demon butt along the way!

Nanoka passes through a portal into Taisho-era Japan, a world populated by phantom people, monstrous yokai and a surly young exorcist named Mao. When Nanoka returns to the present, she discovers she has some new, unusual abilities. So she goes back to the past looking for answers, only to get caught up in Mao's investigation of a demon crime. As her questions about herself multiply, she learns that Mao is cursed by a cat demon called Byouki-and so is his sword. If anyone but Mao attempts to wield it, they are doomed. But when Mao's life is in jeopardy, Nanoka picks up his blade and swings ...!

CC sez: Viz classifies this as "Action-Adventure, Supernatural and Fantasy," which should appeal to American superhero comic fans. In theory. 

Mullet Cop #1

Scout Comics | $ 7.99

Story/Art/Cover: Tom Lintern

After a near-death experience, a mall cop goes undercover as a manager at an all-you-can-eat buffet. With the help of his coworkers and a supercomputer/microwave called M.I.T.T. (Mall Industries Two Thousand), he takes on crime boss Robogrannie and her gang of thugs!

CC sez: Did someone watch Paul Blart: Mall Cop too many times? I barely got through it once.

Nobody's Child #1 (of 6)

Behemoth| Mature | $3.99

Story: Massimo Rosi | Art/Cover: Ramiro Borrallo | Variant: Ramiro Borrallo |

In an unspecified time in the future, it is discovered that within a special breed of albino rhinoceros there is a genetic code that holds the properties to regenerate man, that can cure all diseases, even those very serious. As a result, in a short period of time this albino rhino becomes nearly extinct, leaving just one: Sabium. Enter Bakari, a boy dealing with his own devastation, who now decides to dedicate his life to protecting this rhino.

CC sez: OK, when I become king of the world, one of the first things I'm going to do is turn all of Africa's savannahs and rainforests into a gigantic preserve, with non-intrusive, silent mag-lev tourist trams running throughout, for people to see the magnificent animals. Inhabitants of the preserve will have to move to non-preserve areas of their respective countries, which should be paid for by those countries. The money from tickets will be evenly distributed to the inhabitants of the preserve's host countries, meaning they will all have a stake in saving the animals. Every family will have a radio to contact an international Jungle Patrol (thank you, Lee Falk), also funded by tourism and organized by the UN. Bonuses will be awarded for poacher tips, which should fuel enthusiasm. The JP could literally hunt, with helicopters and high-powered rifles, anybody in the preserve, since nobody's supposed to be there. Shoe on the other hoof, eh, ivory hunters?

I should also mention this book, I guess, which has conservationism as its theme, and some really nice art.

Tex: Magnificent Outlaw HC

Epicenter Comics | $29.99

Story: Mauro Boselli | Art: Stefano Andreucci | Cover: Michele Rubini

With a self-contained, all-ages story by the main Tex writer and editor, Mauro "The Bos(s)" Boselli (whom those familiar with Epicenter Comics had already chance to meet), and stunning artwork by maestro Stefano Andreucci (Zagor: Terror from the Sea), Tex: The Magnificent Outlaw (Signature Edition) offers us a glimpse into Tex in his younger, pre-ranger days, or better, his (magnificent) outlaw days! As Tex is framed for the crime he did not commit, he will stop at nothing to clear his name, and in the process he will both, teach and learn some hard-won life lessons.

CC sez: Wait, isn't that Kid Colt's origin? Aw, who am I kidding — "trying to clear his name for a crime he didn't commit" is the origin of dozens of characters. I guess one more won't hurt!

I do like that cover art. But the interiors are done by somebody else, so caveat emptor.

Tart: Demons and Demagogues one-shot

Scout Comics | $5.99

Story: Kevin Joseph | Art: Ludovic Salle

Tart Acid is used to working alone. However, when she finds herself sneaking past Nazi guards at the1936 Berlin Olympics, or facing off against the first-born son of The King of Hell, she realizes how important it is to have a team around her!

CC sez: Is "misadventures of a female demon" a genre now? Thinking of Mirka Andolfo's Sweet Paprika. And although the lead is a witch, Zombillenium might fall into the same category. Also a lot of hentai. Or so I'm told.

Trailer Park Boys: Bagged & Boarded one-shot

Devil's Due | Mature | $7.99

Story: Josh Blaylock, Travis Hymel, Shawn DePasquale, various | Art: Various | Cover: Travis Hymel

The Boys are back in another anthology special! This time, journey back in time to witness Ricky, Julian and Bubbles as kids, or even farther back to see them as cavemen! They also decide to steal some garden gnomes, and the Green Bastard makes an appearance. Pretty Deee-cent!

CC sez: Six months ago, I had never heard of Trailer Park Boys, which I have since learned has been a Canadian TV and movie franchise for, like, two decades. Now it looks like they're going to become a thing in U.S. comics, as this is the third TPB book I've seen.

And yes, that cover is an homage to DC's Hot Wheels #6 (1970-71). The first five issues of that series were drawn by Alex Toth, with the sixth drawn by Neal Adams. All six issues were written by the late, great Len Wein. Not too shabby for a licensed property.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Batman: The World looks interesting, but not for twenty-five bucks.

• Thanos is really slimming down. Pilates must be working for him. Regarding his parentage, I always supposed he had some Deviant blood in him (that Mentor was just as happy to ignore). 

• Batman: The World HC - This seems really gimmicky to me, not that has stopped me in the past. In this case, I'm with The Baron. I can easily wait for the softcover on this.

Eternals: Thanos Rises #1 - Eternals this week, Ka-zar last week, symbiotes every week. There are just so many Marvel properties I don't care for. I've never tried to figure out why though.

WAR OF THE BOUNTY HUNTERS - CC sez: I've run out of things to say about this never-ending story. - Come on just about a month and a half to go!

• I have decided to continue to use "What Comics Have You Read Today?" to comment on the comics I have read, and I will use "This Week in comics" to comment on those I haven't

ETERNALS: I had been planning to try this one... until I read the premise. (Yes, it's a retcon.)

FANTASTIC FOUR: 60 years but only 35 issues. I have finally become Irwin Donenfeld's anecdotal "smart kid."

HARLEY QUINN: I was speaking tongue-in-cheek last week when I pretended not to know anything about Harley Quinn since Mad Love, but swear I never heard of her "R-rated cartoon."

LITTLE NEMO:

"I have to say that it takes either supreme confidence or staggering stupidity (or both) to step into Windsor McCay's shoes."

Man, you said it! I flipped through this thing, and it is absolutely nothing like Windsor McCay's Little Nemo in Slumberland. Then again, if it tried to be it would fall far short of the mark, so why even bother either way? It's a lose/lose proposition. 

TEX:

"Wait, isn't that Kid Colt's origin?"

This looks like an updated version of the Italian comic book by Claudio Nizzi and Joe Kubert. (Yes, that Joe Kubert.) My advice is don't you dare buy the new one until and unless you've read the original. (Dark Horse  published a hardcover "archive" edition subtitled "The Lonesome Rider" in 2015.)

• Some responses, all ganged together:

On Batman: The World: I was already going to get it, but the preview issue on "Batman Day" really cemented the decision. It is now ordered.

On Thanos: I read somewhere, some time ago, that Thanos was, in fact, a Deviant -- some kind of recessive gene surfaced or something. His mother was so horrified, she tried to kill him just after his birth, but was restrained by the doctors. She also went insane, I think.

But the idea that A'Lars and Sui-San were the only Eternals to have children, through some sort of scientific intervention, is new to me.

On Harley Quinn: The Animated Series: It's on HBO Max, Jeff. If you have that streaming service, treat yourself. The first season was 13 episodes, with some great voice talent: Kaley Cuoco (Big Bang Theory) as Harley, Alan Tudyk (Resident Alien) as Clayface, Ron Funches (A.P. Bio, Powerless) as King Shark and Jason Alexander (Seinfeld) as Sy Borgman! It's been renewed for a second season.

On Tex: Thanks for the recommendation!

This reply was deleted.