Thought maybe I'd just make this an undated, running thread -- and just date the entries as the weeks turn.

3/28/2012

Of the books I've read so far, Flash 7 is my favorite -- I loved Flash running through the wormhole, the promise he made to Snart (and the resolution of that promise), an interesting wrinkle in what will likely wind up being the Golden Glider's origin, the hint at Captain Singh's love life, and more. I liked Iris going through the wormhole -- it'll give Barry some alone time with her (though I'm by no means anti-Patty). And I'm looking forward to Turbine, next issue!

All-Star Western never disappoints, either -- the lead story made good use of Hex's origins and I like the gladatorial scenario. And the backup art had a real John Severin feel to it, which I appreciated -- and I liked the look at Nighthawk's background, as well. My one quibble was that I couldn't tell if Cinnamon was wearing a mask or not -- in some places, it looked like she wasn't drawn wearing one, but the colorist might have been trying to fix that.

Aquaman, sadly, I'm thinking of dropping. It's good -- objectively a good comic, I think, well drawn and exciting in parts -- but it isn't really connecting with me. Maybe it will in trades, sometime down the road.

New Deadwardians: I was planning on waiting for the trade with this one, but I decided to give a single issue a chance. I love the mystery it sets up, and I love the low-key nature of the supernatural here. It's well worth checking out.

Legion of Super Heroes: Secret Origin wrapped up with a nice moment for Phantom Girl, in particular. That said, I'm not sorry to see it go. While it approached the formation of the Legion in a different way than I'd ever seen before, and Chris Batista delivered some nice Ernie Colon-inspired work, the book as a whole was kind of flat. I much prefer the modern-day Legion, with characters who have a long history behind them. 

Still to come: Daredevil and The Unwritten.

Views: 5947

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Foggy is the man!

So far I've only read Geoff Johns final Green Lantern issue. It was a good wrap up to nearly a decade with the character. I didn't fnd the first Lantern all that interesting but the story wasn't about that in the first place. It was about the relationship with Hal and Sinestro. I didn't like that after much hype Simon Baz took a backseat to the action. All in all though I was very satisfied with this. The comments throughout by other creators regarding Johns was nice as well.

A few highlights from me over the past few weeks:

Rocketeer: Hollywood Horror #3 & 4: A satisfactory conclusion to this story. It is the first non-Mouse Guard comic I have read by Roger Landridge. I love J. Bone's art here. It is so dissimilar from Dave Stevens' work, so it is kind of waste to compare them. I also liked the appearances of Nick & Nora, Groucho Marx, and others.

The Answer #4: Another mini ends, and there might be more questions than answers here (heheheh). A fun series that I would like to see more of. Although finding out that Jay and the Answer have been watching Devin since she was a little girl is creepy no matter how you slice it.

Archer & Armstrong #0: Which gives us a story about Armstrong and his brothers from ay back in the past. Armstrong, we learn, is the author for the epic Gilgamesh tale, since everyone concerned it to be a masterpiece he never wrote again.

The Bounce #1: Joe Casey's new superhero book, and it seems superbeings have just arrived on the world. As the Bounce fights a villain, who just knew there had to me be a hero around. The Bounce is also a pothead, and is down for new highs as well. He pays to take a knew drug which turns out to be a dude called, The Fog. You inhale him and you get a pretty wild trip. Looks to be pretty interesting. I liked David Messina's art as well. Easy to follow in the action scenes, and nice, crisp color. Not dark and murky like too many books are now, and ruin the action.

A few thoughts for this week:

Adventures of Superman #5 - So nice to have the real Superman back.  Just one question--well, two really.

Wouldn't a speeding train still derail if it ran over Superman's body instead of the tracks>

Where did Lois get her retro clothes?

Savage Wolverine #5 - Frank Cho! Amadeus Cho! Shanna the She-Devil! The Hulk!  The Hulk gets eaten by a whale!  

Yup, just plain fun.

Wolverine and the X-Men #30 - You know, sometimes I really want to see something really bad happen to Quentin Quire.

And Wolverine is quite ineffectual here.  Of course, one of the best things about this comic is how ill-suited he is for what he's doing.

The Unwritten #49 - Tommy outwits Pullman and dives deeper into Leviathan to find...the Fables?

Could be good.  Could be terrible.  We shall see.

Justice League Of America #4 - I'm still trying to figure out if I like this.  Right now, I'm still unsure.  I wouldn't want to be Catwoman right now, however.

Deadpool #10 - Not much to say about this one.  I mean, it's Deadpool. Oh, and Batroc the Leaper and Paste Pot Pete--excuse me, The Trapster--show up.  It's fun, it's mindless, and Wade seems to know that Doc Ock has taken over Spider-Man's body.

Indestructible Hulk #8 - Hulk and Thor lay the smack down on some Frost Giants.  It's not terribly deep, but it's fun.

I'm really enjoying those Adventures of Superman comics, too, Randy. I've only gotten up to the third one, so far, but they're all on my list for when I make my next purchase. 

INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK #8: As Randy said above, "not terribly deep, but it's fun." The scientific explanation of how Thor’s hammer might work is worth the price of admission alone. Next issue features Daredevil (which is also written by Mark Waid and is one of the best comics currently being published by Marvel), so I think I’ll stick around a while longer.

IRON MAN #158.4: At bi-weekly frequency, this min-series passed quickly and was over far too soon. There’s a tpb of the original “Armor Wars II” (which began in issue #158 and I have never read) this series inspired me to read.

Hmmm.  Would that be highly respected creators like Mike Mignola, Osamu Tezuka, Alan Moore and Robert Kirkman? Or maybe the likes of Brian Bendis,  Mark Waid andJonathan Hickman from across town? Or are the contributors limited to those on DC's payroll, lining up to say nice things about the Cheif Creative Officer of the company they'd like to keep working for?

(I'm such a cynic!)

Jason Marconnet (Pint sized mod) said:

So far I've only read Geoff Johns final Green Lantern issue. [...] The comments throughout by other creators regarding Johns was nice as well.
Figserello said:

Hmmm.  Would that be highly respected creators like Mike Mignola, Osamu Tezuka, Alan Moore and Robert Kirkman? Or maybe the likes of Brian Bendis,  Mark Waid andJonathan Hickman from across town? Or are the contributors limited to those on DC's payroll, lining up to say nice things about the Cheif Creative Officer of the company they'd like to keep working for?

(I'm such a cynic!)

Little bit of column A, little bit of column B: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/05/23/dcs-green-lantern-20-tribute...

To tell you the truth, I found the pages of "you're great, boss and/or relative!" to be increasingly irritating, and began skimming them early on -- precisely because I was NOT seeing comments from anyone who didn't stand to gain professionally from buttering up Johns, as Figs suggested.

His wife? His brother? The people who work for him at DC or on DC movies? They may be absolutely sincere, but it's hard to read these quotes as anything but brown-nosing, and it got my nose out of joint. I'm just lucky I got a review copy, or I'd really be angry at paying for all those pages of unctuous, oleaginous toadying.

...Dude, I've been Outta Touch. There is a " real Superman " in this new title??? And a 2nd new title? I was aware that there was a new movie-ish-at least in thetitle-tittle coming outAdventures??

I liked that Mylar-Era title,so that should be good.

I guess.

Easy Des It,POPPA LOU

Randy Jackson said:

A few thoughts for this week:

Adventures of Superman #5 - So nice to have the real Superman back.  Just one question--well, two really.

Wouldn't a speeding train still derail if it ran over Superman's body instead of the tracks>

Where did Lois get her retro clothes?

Savage Wolverine #5 - Frank Cho! Amadeus Cho! Shanna the She-Devil! The Hulk!  The Hulk gets eaten by a whale!  

Yup, just plain fun.

Wolverine and the X-Men #30 - You know, sometimes I really want to see something really bad happen to Quentin Quire.

And Wolverine is quite ineffectual here.  Of course, one of the best things about this comic is how ill-suited he is for what he's doing.

The Unwritten #49 - Tommy outwits Pullman and dives deeper into Leviathan to find...the Fables?

Could be good.  Could be terrible.  We shall see.

Justice League Of America #4 - I'm still trying to figure out if I like this.  Right now, I'm still unsure.  I wouldn't want to be Catwoman right now, however.

Deadpool #10 - Not much to say about this one.  I mean, it's Deadpool. Oh, and Batroc the Leaper and Paste Pot Pete--excuse me, The Trapster--show up.  It's fun, it's mindless, and Wade seems to know that Doc Ock has taken over Spider-Man's body.

Indestructible Hulk #8 - Hulk and Thor lay the smack down on some Frost Giants.  It's not terribly deep, but it's fun.

Same.

In fact, you wouldn't have thought it would be hard to get words from his contemporaries: Brubaker, Rucka, Morrison, Aaron, Casey, Parker, etc. Surely he has friends at the other companies, or are they under orders to professionally ignore anything from DC?

Captain Comics said:

To tell you the truth, I found the pages of "you're great, boss and/or relative!" to be increasingly irritating, and began skimming them early on -- precisely because I was NOT seeing comments from anyone who didn't stand to gain professionally from buttering up Johns, as Figs suggested.

His wife? His brother? The people who work for him at DC or on DC movies? They may be absolutely sincere, but it's hard to read these quotes as anything but brown-nosing, and it got my nose out of joint. I'm just lucky I got a review copy, or I'd really be angry at paying for all those pages of unctuous, oleaginous toadying.

I'm beginning to think I've been doing this wrong. I've been doing single-issue reviews in the reviews area along with reviews of collections, but it seems like this is where people go for comments about single issues. So, OK, I'll play:

Green Lantern #20: I mentioned above that I found the many pages of Geoff Johns' relatives and employees saying great things about him to be not only a waste of space (and the readers' money) but in really bad taste. I didn't say much about the story, because I didn't have much to say. Like others in this thread I found "Wrath of the First Lantern" to be pretty dull, and my only real joy in reading it was seeing it finally end. Otherwise, Johns pretty much set the pieces of the mythos back where he found them, with a mild, unconvincing twist on the Hal/Sinestro relationship. Also, the Guardians were replaced at the head of the GL Corps by one of the members (guess who), but don't worry -- there are some spare Guardians waiting in the wings to step in and restore the status quo somewhere down the line. One other thing -- and this really annoyed me -- is that Johns couldn't seem to help mandating the path for future Green Lantern writers by doing a "how the main characters will end up" bit set in the future. Let's call this the "Adult Legion Error," shall we? Not only does this unnecessarily restrict future storylines -- and rob them of any drama -- but it once again stresses that Hal Jordan is the "greatest Green Lantern of them all." Look, I'm wild about how Johns made the character more interesting, but seriously, at this point does anyone outside the editorial staff think he deserves that title? He's been a hot mess the last few years, and nothing -- NOTHING -- can whitewash Parallax. It's kind-of an insult, really, to keep feeding us that line when the stories themselves show the opposite.

Earth 2 Annual #1: I was really looking forward to this, because it introduces the new Batman of Earth 2. (The old one, as we all know, was killed in the Apocalypse War along with Superman and Wonder Woman.) But wow, what a disappointment. For one thing, the bulk of the book is about Al Pratt, the new Atom, whose powers are silly and visually goofy (he grows really big and his hands glow), and whose personality is "I'm a soldier and I follow orders." Boring. He does have a central mystery (how did he survive an atomic bomb, and why did he get super-powers from it?), which this story does mention constantly -- without moving an inch toward solving the mystery. Then there's the Batman, who comes in for the last third of the story, but whose M.O. is indistinguishable from our Batman and about whom we learn virtually nothing. Honestly, this book reads like padding between two issues of the regular series. Aren't annuals supposed to be special? Aren't they supposed to stand alone? This book fails on both counts.

Batman The Dark Knight Annual #1: This is a cute little story about Penguin, Scarecrow and Mad Hatter having a really bad Halloween night, funny enough that you can almost forgive a major character acting waaaay out of character to set it up.

Catwoman Annual #1: I suspect I'd have enjoyed this much more if I was a regular reader of Catwoman, because most of the references here I didn't get. Not that it matters, because all this annual did was set up a Catwoman/Penguin "war" to be carried on in the regular title, so once again a special, stand-alone annual is neither. Maybe I'm just cranky because writer Ann Nocenti introduced the hoariest, boringest, stupidest superhero cliche of all: The cop determined to arrest the titular character no matter what -- even though the "no matter what" is overwhelming evidence that the titular character is a good guy, and that she saved the cop's life once already. That's not determination, that's brain damage.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service