Thinking about the latest twists in the Thor saga, I thought about the Silver Age Thor so I was wondering--

• when Odin deposited the newly created Don Blake in front of that medical college, did he think up a complete backstory for the guy, with paperwork and creditials? I know it was the 60s but you still had to have a college diploma to be a doctor!
  • Was it ever confirmed exactly what kind of doctor Blake was? He appeared to be a general practioner (gp) until he had to do complicated surgery.
  • Did Odin ever worry about Don Blake getting, well, killed somehow?
  • How long did it take for Thor's persona/memories to come back? In his first appearance, it was Blake transformed into Thor but soon, Thor's personality took over. It really was very similar to Bruce Banner and the Hulk.
  • Mjolnir was charmed that none but Thor could hold it but it wasn't super-heavy or else Thor would be crashing through the floor, among other things. But if he placed it inside a car, say, could you drive away with it, theoritically?
  • Did Thor truly love Jane Foster or was it Don Blake's emotions?
  • Did Thor have access to Don Blake's knowledge because sometimes the Thunder God seemed confused by technology/modern times?
  • And was Odin Thor's greatest foe or was there meaning to the All-Father's seeming madness?

Views: 1837

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

......(Continuing) That Byrne shows Thor active on 616 pdior to FF#1...........This leads me to something else about those more.or.less " Larry issuez " of JiM...........(This is from memry . No reference material handy .) Blake.s nurse in the first 10-12 ishes is Jane Foster bt another woman , who runs off between issues and is replaced by her friend and fellow nursing school student Jane Foster !      I once had an Esentials Thor Vol. 1 book - a first edition . It left the name of this first nurse non-" corrected "  - relettered - as ths seclnd printinnials volume did , re-letter hef as " Jane Foster " 
. I

Kirk G said:

OMG... what were those writers on?

First thought... is there any special significance to the the fact that each of these great resolutions come exactly 100 issues after each other?  136....236....335... (oh, alright...spot me one issue, will ya)

Second, this was only, what, two or three issues before the great revolution in Thor by Walt Simonson takes over?

Does this imply that when this arc ended... that it was two or three filler issues before Beta Ray Bill shows up and usrupts Thor's title??  Wasn't that in 337 or 338?

......(Continuing) That Byrne shows Thor active on 616 pdior to FF#1...........This leads me to something else about those more.or.less " Larry issuez " of JiM...........(This is from memry . No reference material handy .) Blake.s nurse in the first 10-12 ishes is Jane Foster bt another woman , who runs off between issues and is replaced by her friend and fellow nursing school student Jane Foster !      I once had an Esentials Thor Vol. 1 book - a first edition . It left the name of this first nurse non-" corrected "  - relettered - as ths seclnd printinnials volume did , re-letter hef as " Jane Foster " 
. I

Kirk G said:

First thought... is there any special significance to the the fact that each of these great resolutions come exactly 100 issues after each other?  136....236....335... (oh, alright...spot me one issue, will ya)

Second, this was only, what, two or three issues before the great revolution in Thor by Walt Simonson takes over?

Does this imply that when this arc ended... that it was two or three filler issues before Beta Ray Bill shows up and usrupts Thor's title??  Wasn't that in 337 or 338?

...I am writing on a smartphone , it gets hard to write at length !!!!!!!!!    Anyway , the firsst 12-ish issues of JIM feature this first nurse , and , the first printing of thr Thor Essentials reflects this , it doesn.t reletter ! I have never had thr Masterworks book , let alone the original issues .

Emerkeith Davyjack said:
......(Continuing) That Byrne shows Thor active on 616 pdior to FF#1...........This leads me to something else about those more.or.less " Larry issuez " of JiM...........(This is from memry . No reference material handy .) Blake.s nurse in the first 10-12 ishes is Jane Foster bt another woman , who runs off between issues and is replaced by her friend and fellow nursing school student Jane Foster !      I once had an Esentials Thor Vol. 1 book - a first edition . It left the name of this first nurse non-" corrected "  - relettered - as ths seclnd printinnials volume did , re-letter hef as " Jane Foster "  . I

Kirk G said:

Kirk G said:

Issue # 336 (Oct., 1983) was a filler, of sorts.  It also was something of an epilogue to the Return of Jane Foster arc.  There are two stories, both written by Alan Zelenetz (who?).  The first, drawn by Herb Trimpe, is a humourous slugfest between the Thunder God and Captain Ultra.  The second, drawn by Ernie Chan, depicts the wedding of Keith Kincaid and Jane Foster.

The two tales are linked by a sub-plot of Sif wanting to return to Asgard, but being unable to pursuade Thor to come with her.  She winds up heading back over the Rainbow Bridge by herself.

It served the purpose of clearing the decks for Walt Simonson, who took over with issue # 337.

Reference the Jane Nelson/Foster business:

She was named Jane "Nelson" in only her first two appearances---Journey Into Mystery # 84-5 (Sep. and Oct., 1962).  She was also a blonde in those two issues.  After that, she was consistently Jane Foster and a brunette.

Most likely, these were merely scripting and colouring errors, attributable to either Stan Lee's slippery memory or poor communication between Lee and his brother, Larry Lieber, who wrote those stories from Stan's plots.

That they were simply errors is enhanced by the fact that there was no transition scene between Jane Nelson and Jane Foster.  No scene or comment along the lines of "My old nurse is gone and this is my new one."  Moreover, it is highly unlikely that, if Jane Foster were meant to be a new character, Stan or Larry would have given her the same first name, "Jane', as the old one.

Of course, one can always regard Jane Nelson and Jane Foster as two different characters, if one prefers to.

Obviously, she returned to using her real name when the FBI told her she was no longer being pursued by the Mafia.

...I don.t have the book anymore , Cmdr. , but I even thought that details in the stories backed up my narrative ! As for poor communication/Stan forgetting...Hmth , next you.ll be telling us that fairies don.t exist and not to clap for Tinker Bell......

Commander Benson said:

Reference the Jane Nelson/Foster business:

She was named Jane "Nelson" in only her first two appearances---Journey Into Mystery # 84-5 (Sep. and Oct., 1962).  She was also a blonde in those two issues.  After that, she was consistently Jane Foster and a brunette.

Most likely, these were merely scripting and colouring errors, attributable to either Stan Lee's slippery memory or poor communication between Lee and his brother, Larry Lieber, who wrote those stories from Stan's plots.

That they were simply errors is enhanced by the fact that there was no transition scene between Jane Nelson and Jane Foster.  No scene or comment along the lines of "My old nurse is gone and this is my new one."  Moreover, it is highly unlikely that, if Jane Foster were meant to be a new character, Stan or Larry would have given her the same first name, "Jane', as the old one.

Of course, one can always regard Jane Nelson and Jane Foster as two different characters, if one prefers to.

It also broke up Thor and Sif so Simonson could introduce the Enchantress' little sister, Lorelei as the Thunder God's new temptress/"love" interest. Odin was okay with that!

While Sif got tougher in the 70s, it was Simonson who made her the warrior she is now, even though Jane is back, too!

Captain Ultra!! Heh! A great candidate for a "Fan of Bronze" piece!

Commander Benson said:

Kirk G said:

Issue # 336 (Oct., 1983) was a filler, of sorts.  It also was something of an epilogue to the Return of Jane Foster arc.  There are two stories, both written by Alan Zelenetz (who?).  The first, drawn by Herb Trimpe, is a humourous slugfest between the Thunder God and Captain Ultra.  The second, drawn by Ernie Chan, depicts the wedding of Keith Kincaid and Jane Foster.

The two tales are linked by a sub-plot of Sif wanting to return to Asgard, but being unable to pursuade Thor to come with her.  She winds up heading back over the Rainbow Bridge by herself.

It served the purpose of clearing the decks for Walt Simonson, who took over with issue # 337.

Captain Ultra...  now why do I not know who that was?
Was this another of those bronze age oddities that I missed...like Sif being trapped in a cane or a sword or something??!!

Yup, Captain Ultra is definitely a Bronze Age character appearing in Fantastic Four and The Defenders. In fact you should see if you still can find the recent The Day of the Defenders one-shot reprint for his "finest" hour!

Recalling the Silver & Bronze age Thor stories I've read, which in the original comics or reprints covers nearly everything from about Journey Into Mystery #110 to just past Walt Simonson's classic run, Lee and nearly every other Thor scribe seemed to completely forget themselves that Loki was Odin's adopted child, as clearly shown in Loki's origin story from a Tales of Asgard story reprinted in full in Bring on the Bad Guys, and hence Loki was Thor's adopted brother, and not Thor's stepbrother or half-brother, as Lee and other's routinely referred to Loki pretty much interchangeably, as if unaware of the distinct differences between an adopted, step or half sibling.  There is no story I'm aware of Odin even knowing who Loki's biological mother was, never mind having ever married her after he adopted Loki (which would have made Loki Thor's step-brother) or having had an affair with her and thus becoming Loki's biological father while she was still betrothed to Laufey, which would have made Loki Thor's half-brother and explained why Laufey was ticked off at Odin! In the original myths, Loki and Odin made a pact and shared blood, thus becoming blood brothers, but otherwise Loki had no family relationship with Thor at all.  Of course, for the comics, it made good dramatic sense to make the relationship between Thor and Loki closer.

Philip Portelli said:

A better question would be Did Loki KNOW he was adopted? Thor always treated him like his brother period and Odin his son period.

Another question: Did Thor know who his real mother was? And did Frigga, Odin's wife, appear much, if at all?

And yes welcome Mr Goldin and Mr _b_dog! Always great to hear other opinions and theories!

Getting back to Jane Foster, did Thor love her as Thor? Or was it because Don Blake fell in love with her?

Since we're revisiting this (and since I can't remember), did the Vision ever lift Mjolnir?  Or was he too close to human to do so? I'm well aware that he did not attempt to do so in the Silver Age, but wondering if perpaps he'd tried at some other point.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service