Over the years here at the Comics Cave there have been a large number of re-reading threads.  Several different Legionnaires have tackled various series, across the ages:  Golden, Silver, Bronze, modern, and current.  Many fine discussions, and links can be found here:

http://captaincomics.ning.com/forum/topics/book-gn-and-collections-...

For myself, I'm currently doing four threads, all set in the Silver Age: Avengers, Iron Man, Spider-Man, and Thor.  I have a pretty full plate but that doesn't stop me from thinking of doing other threads in the future.  However, I'm not pleased with my own pace and at this time doing additional threads is simply not going to happen (check back in a few years).  But certainly Legionnaires like Randy Jackson, Richard Mantle, The Baron, Philip Portelli, Jeff of Earth-J, Chris Fluit (just to name a few) and many more have started many great re-reading threads.  I would like to encourage these fine folks - and indeed all members of this board, even if you haven't ever started such a thread before - to consider beginning new discussions.  Since Silver Age Marvel threads are what's in my wheelhouse at the moment, I'm going to share my thoughts on threads we haven't had yet .... but hopefully may see in the future.

Views: 1072

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I do, as would anyone else who picked up Essential Strange Tales vol. 1. However, I've got a number of projects ahead of that if I wanted to do it, and as you say, there's not many who have access to the stories. Also, the stories were largely forgettable--not necessarily dull, but there wasn't enough appeal to make re-reading them very appealing.

Richard Willis said:

It pretty much would have to be. How many of us have access to the stories? I know I don't.

Richard Willis said:

John Dunbar said:

My interest in a Human Torch discussion would go up if it was done in a "so bad it's good" vein.

It pretty much would have to be. How many of us have access to the stories? I know I don't.

Obviously, not everyone would. There are 2 volumes of Human Torch Masterworks which collect the entire run, and it is also collected in one black and white Essential volume.  For myself, I subscribe to Marvel Unlimited and all the stories are on there.  Also, I suspect there are a few members of the board who have the originals!

I pity anyone who doesn't have Ben Grimm in a Beatles wig SOMEWHERE in his collection.

Not sure if anyone else would be interested, but I would like to read Astro City in its entirety during 2018. Of course, here we are at the tail-end of January and I haven't even cracked open book one yet.

I would be down with that.

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

Not sure if anyone else would be interested, but I would like to read Astro City in its entirety during 2018.

Awesome!

Randy Jackson said:

I would be down with that.

Not sure if anyone else would be interested, but I would like to read Astro City in its entirety during 2018.

Me too!

Not sure if anyone else would be interested, but I would like to read Astro City in its entirety during 2018. Of course, here we are at the tail-end of January and I haven't even cracked open book one yet.

That would be a good one. I have read all of Astro City, but I've never read a single issue more than once.

Woohooo! Did I make a decent suggestion?

It seems as if there's a fair amount of interest. Given that, it might not be a bad idea to turn it into a group led reading project, rather than one being led by a single person. I'd be more than happy to contribute, but I don't want to take it all on myself.

Woohooo! Did I make a decent suggestion?

When I posted about a possible Ant-Man re-reading thread, I added a post outlining reprint collections for the Ant-Man stories.  I forgot to do that for my other posts on Captain Marvel, Daredevil, Doctor Strange, the Fantastic Four, the Hulk, and the Human Torch, and I realized that when Richard Willis asked how many of us have access to the stories.  For the sake of completeness, here are the collections that contain the stories I suggested for these re-reading discussions:

Captain Marvel:  Marvel Super-Heroes 12 & 13, Captain Marvel 1-21

Essential Captain Marvel Vol 1 collects Marvel Super-Heroes 12 & 13, Captain Marvel 1-21, and Not Brand Echh 9.

Marvel Masterworks Captain Marvel Vol 1 collects MSH 12 & 13, CM 1-9, and NBE 9; Vol 2 collects CM 10-21.

Daredevil:  Daredevil 1-49, Daredevil Annual 1

Essential Daredevil Vol 1 collects Daredevil 1-25; Vol 2 collects DD 26-48, DD Annual 1, and FF 73.

Marvel Masterworks Daredevil Vol 1 collects DD 1-11; Vol 2 collects DD 12-21; Vol 3 collects DD 22-32 and Annual 1; Vol 4 collects DD 33-41 and FF 73; Vol 5 collects DD 42-53 and NBE 4.

Daredevil Epic Collection Vol 1 collects DD 1-21; Vol 2 collects DD 22-41, DD Annual 1 and NBE 4; Vol 3 collects DD 42-63.

Doctor Strange:  Strange Tales 147-168, Doctor Strange 169-183

Essential Doctor Strange Vol 1 collects Strange Tales 110, 111, 114-168; Vol 2 collects Doctor Strange 169-183, Avengers 61, Sub-Mariner 22, Incredible Hulk 126, Marvel Feature 1, Marvel Premiere 3-14.

Marvel Masterworks Doctor Strange Vol 1 collects ST 110, 111, 114-141; Vol 2 collects ST 142-168; Vol 3 collects DS 169-179 and AVE 61; Vol 4 collects DS 180-183, SUB 22, IH 126, MF 1, MP 3-8.

Fantastic Four:  Fantastic Four 1-102, FF Annual 1-6

Essential Fantastic Four Vol 1 collects FF 1-20 and Annual 1; Vol 2 collects FF 21-40 and Annual 2; Vol 3 collects FF 41-63 and Annual 3-4; Vol 4 collects FF 64-83 and Annual 5-6; Vol 5 collects FF 84-110 and Annual 7-8.

Marvel Masterworks Fantastic Four Vol 1 collects FF 1-10; Vol 2 collects FF 11-20 and Annual 1; Vol 3 collects FF 21-30; Vol 4 collects FF 31-40 and Annual 2; Vol 5 collects FF 41-50 and Annual 3; Vol 6 collects FF 51-60 and Annual 4; Vol 7 collects FF 61-71 and Annual 5; Vol 8 collects FF 72-81 and Annual 6; Vol 9 collects FF 82-93 and Annual 7; Vol 10 collects FF 94-104.

Fantastic Four Epic Collection Vol 1 collects FF 1-18; Vol 2 collects FF 19-32 and Annual 1-2 (no further FF Epic Collections of the Lee & Kirby run).

Hulk:  Incredible Hulk 1-6, Fantastic Four 12, Avengers 1-3, Fantastic Four 25-26, Avengers 5, Amazing Spider-Man 14, Tales To Astonish 59-101, Journey Into Mystery 112, Amazing Spider-Man Annual 3

Essential Hulk Vol 1 collects Incredible Hulk 1-6 and Tales to Astonish 60-91; Vol 2 collects TTA 92-101 and IH  102-117 and IH Annual 1.

Marvel Masterworks Hulk Vol 1 collects IH 1-6; Vol 2 collects TTA 59-79; Vol 3 collects TTA 80-101 and IH 102.

Incredible Hulk Epic Collection Vol 1 collects IH 1-6, FF 12, 25-26, AVE 1-3, 5, ASM 14, TTA 59, JIM 112; Vol 2 collects TTA 60-96 and Not Brand Echh 3 (Incredible Hulk Epic Collection Vol 3 not published yet).

Human Torch:  Strange Tales 101-134 and Annual 2

Essential Human Torch Vol 1 collects Strange Tales 101-134 and Annual 2.

Marvel Masterworks Human Torch Vol 1 collects Strange Tales 101-117 and Annual 2; Vol 2 collects ST 118-134.

One thing the Epic collections do that I enjoy - they include significant guest appearances that the Masterworks and Essentials lines didn't always cover.  Check out the Hulk Epic Collection compared to the other Hulk collections.  This is also the case for the first volume of the Silver Surfer Epic Collections, which collects Norrin Radd's guest appearances before he got his own title (mostly FF stories).  The Surfer Masterworks and Essentials start with Silver Surfer #1.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service