One of the most noteworthy threads here at the Comics Round Table is the What Comic Books Have You Read Today? thread.  It was started over 10 years ago and as of today has over 5400 posts!  Safe to say a popular and active thread.  Created by Wandering Sensei, it was started with a simple yet obviously very effective premise:

Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

I would like to start what I consider to be a companion thread, allowing people to ask about comics they are curious about.  Just like Sensei's thread, it can be about any comic book from any era.  Ask about a single issue, a storyline, a run by a particular creator, or an entire series.  Go wild folks!

Views: 364

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It was revealed after I stopped reading Marvel comprehensively (2010) that Sue Richards had been an agent of SHIELD either in the past or in the present. I don't know, because I didn't read it. So help me with this:

• When and were was it revealed that Sue was a SHIELD agent?
  • Where did those stories get told?
  • Is this new series connected to that idea, or something else entirely?

An invisible SHIELD agent seems like a natural.

I haven't read any of the comics, but I used the old google-fu to come up with these answers, so take the accuracy with a grain of salt.

Captain Comics said:

It was revealed after I stopped reading Marvel comprehensively (2010) that Sue Richards had been an agent of SHIELD either in the past or in the present. I don't know, because I didn't read it. So help me with this:

When and were was it revealed that Sue was a SHIELD agent? Where did those stories get told?
- S.H.I.E.L.D. (2014 series) #4
Is this new series connected to that idea, or something else entirely?
- I'm going to go with connected, as Mark Waid wrote both!

Also, she'd be a terrific assassin. She could sit down in the same cafe as her assassin, form a small force field in his brain, and kill him with an aneurysm. Then she pays her bill and leaves.

Richard Willis said:

An invisible SHIELD agent seems like a natural.

Has anyone read Coffin Bound from Image?

Over the past couple years, I have been a growing fan of indie horror titles. Image isn't "indie" enough for me to consider this one of those, but I was still intrigued after perusing it in the LCS. The art is gorgeous (reminded me of Mignola at first, but then R.M. Guerra). The story isn't bad. I've read the first two issues, but I honestly cannot say that I want to read any more of it. It would be good, I think, if you have never dipped your toe into the horror comics world. But I've been reading so much good stuff from Creepy, Eerie, and the indie world in the past two years that this doesn't feel all that special to me.

If anyone has read it, please let me know your thoughts.

Thoughts on 100 Bullets? I've never read the series, but understand it ran for a hundred issues.

Is it a decent crime comic or does it veer too much into fantasy/fantastical? I'm not crazy for its art, but could probably tolerate it.

Jonan Jello said:

Thoughts on 100 Bullets? I've never read the series, but understand it ran for a hundred issues.

Is it a decent crime comic or does it veer too much into fantasy/fantastical? I'm not crazy for its art, but could probably tolerate it.

I thoroughly enjoyed 100 Bullets. I was introduced to the series with the trade collection Six Feet Under the Gun, and read it over and over until it practically fell apart ... and for a guy who's been reading comics as long as I have, it takes a lot to enthrall me to that degree.

Eventually, I went looking for the rest of the series, and wasn't disappointed. It helped that Six Feet Under the Gun, which comprised issues #37 to #42, was a change of pace; the six issues were standalone stories about key players in the overall narrative.

About the overall narrative, I don't know how much you know already, and I don't wan't to spoil too much, but it's deeper than the initial business about the mysterious Agent Graves giving people the means to get no-consequences revenge against somebody who as done them wrong. As you find why he's handing out these briefcases -- each with irrefutable proof of what dirt was done to the recipient, who did it, an automatic pistol and 100 bullets -- and why these particular people get them, you'll be drawn in.

100 Bullets is a crime comic, period. It doesn't veer into fantasy, although at one point it takes a bit of liberty with a little-known facet of American history to set up how things work in the here and now.

And I loved loved loved the art by Eduardo Risso. I loved his placement of blacks, the slightly cartoony edge to his figures, and most of all, how he kept the camera moving. Part of the reason I kept reading Six Feet Under the Gun over and over and over (and over and over) was how he had lots of bits of business happening in the background, even in scenes of people just sitting around talking. If you don't like his art, it'll be a slog, because he draws all 100 issues. (There is one issue where guest artists do several pin-up pages.) 

So, yeah, 100 Bullets comes with the highest recommendation, at least from me!

Wow, man. Thanks for your insight and time. After reading your recommend,  I tried reading some issues online and will give the series some more attention.

I also checked out Risso and Trillo's Borderline.  I'm finding the stark b&w artwork very approachable here and the pages flow more fluid for me, too.

Thanks for your reply!

ClarkKent_DC said:

Jonan Jello said:

I thoroughly enjoyed 100 Bullets. I was introduced to the series with the trade collection Six Feet Under the Gun, and read it over and over until it practically fell apart ... and for a guy who's been reading comics as long as I have, it takes a lot to enthrall me to that degree.

Eventually, I went looking for the rest of the series, and wasn't disappointed. It helped that Six Feet Under the Gun, which comprised issues #37 to #42, was a change of pace; the six issues were standalone stories about key players in the overall narrative.

About the overall narrative, I don't know how much you know already, and I don't wan't to spoil too much, but it's deeper than the initial business about the mysterious Agent Graves giving people the means to get no-consequences revenge against somebody who as done them wrong. As you find why he's handing out these briefcases -- each with irrefutable proof of what dirt was done to the recipient, who did it, an automatic pistol and 100 bullets -- and why these particular people get them, you'll be drawn in.

100 Bullets is a crime comic, period. It doesn't veer into fantasy, although at one point it takes a bit of liberty with a little-known facet of American history to set up how things work in the here and now.

And I loved loved loved the art by Eduardo Risso. I loved his placement of blacks, the slightly cartoony edge to his figures, and most of all, how he kept the camera moving. Part of the reason I kept reading Six Feet Under the Gun over and over and over (and over and over) was how he had lots of bits of business happening in the background, even in scenes of people just sitting around talking. If you don't like his art, it'll be a slog, because he draws all 100 issues. (There is one issue where guest artists do several pin-up pages.) 

So, yeah, 100 Bullets comes with the highest recommendation, at least from me!

I love 100 Bullets as well. In fact, it's high on my list of Vertigo series to reread. Say the word and we can read through it together and discuss!

I liked 100 Bullets as well... though I never got to the end of it, as somewhere in buying the TPBs I lost momentum...and then lost track of which ones I owned. 

I love that all the trade paperback titles are references to their number in the series, like Six Feet Under the Gun (six) and Samurai (seven). I thought that was a clever touch, and a nod to all those mystery series that have a gimmick in their title, the way Sue Grafton used letters or John D. MacDonald used colors.

Anyway, I've definitely got to dive back in to 100 Bullets... and at this point, I should just start at the beginning again.

Say, I like that suggestion. Thanks!

I'm eyeing some BIN TPB lots on eBay. I prefer reading in print, but could also read the first few issues online. Are you also in then, Rob?

Mark Sullivan (Vertiginous Mod) said:

I love 100 Bullets as well. In fact, it's high on my list of Vertigo series to reread. Say the word and we can read through it together and discuss!

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Anyway, I've definitely got to dive back in to 100 Bullets... and at this point, I should just start at the beginning again.

If you start a discussion on 100 Bullets, count me in!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service