Another month of numbered thingies:

1. Sorry to say my LCS never pulled Savage Sword #1 for me, so I now have no interest in issue #2.

2. Nice to the Crime Does Not Pay trade coming out in an affordable package. 20 bucks for over 200pgs.

3. 5 Green Lantern prequels...good luck with that DC.

4. another thing I don't get whatever momentum they get out of Action #900 they lose me with the very next issue with being a "Reign of Doomsday" tie-in.

5. Judd Winick on Batman & Robin? I'm out.

6. But that cover to Red Robin intrigues me, so I am swapping those two out essentially.

7. So long Doom Patrol, Freedom Fighters, & R.E.B.E.L.S.

8. The Brian Bolland book of his covers looks really good.

9. I barely noticed that Top Cow is fully integrated with Image proper now.

10. Ten comics for Fear Itself and its tie-ins.

11. Am I the only one who thinks "Herc" is a terrible name for a title?

12. How many Oz books has Shanower and Young done? It seems like a lot. Very admirable.

13. Ultimate Comics Avengers vs. New Ultimates is billed as the Ultimate Event of the Decade. Sorry Death of Spider-man storyline

14. It only took till issue 3 for the new Venom to lose control of the symbiote.

15. I think I will tradewait the new Moon Knight series. Even if the rest of the series is $2.99, I don't like the $3.99 first issue.

16. I may not read the series, but I really dig those Jae Lee Wolverine covers.

17. Wait DeadpoolMax is a mini again? I just checked last month's, and yes it was solicited as an ongoing then.

18. Fun to see Richie Rich is getting a new series.

19. I see a trade is coming out for Marv Wolfman's Defex series. I only remember one issue coming out.

20. Let's check in with some of Bluewater's output this month: Taylor Swift(!?), Ryan Reynolds, Ayn Rand(!) & Stephen King.

21. Oh and they have a Ronald Reagan foil edition comic.

22. Dynamite pulls me in with another dollar comic, Kirby: Genesis.

23. I haven't bought trading cards in years, so who is buying the Topps' UFC set?

24. Not surprising, but a ton of Green Lantern movie merchandise.

25. Another $2,900.00 statue for those interested. This time with a character I've never even heard of: Dark Ivory.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 5) I always thought Winick was pretty good so I'm willing to keep it.

7) Cancelled or had enough? Freedom Fighters is a great read but if it's cancelled already, they should have kept it as a mini-series!

10) I'm going to try to be selective about the tie-ins but The Fearsome Four (She-Hulk, Frankenstein's Monster, Nighthawk and Howard the Duck, plus Man-Thing) is too tempting for a Bronze Age fan to pass up on!

11) Herc? Maybe Marvel strongmen prefer monosymballic names!

• Phillip, on 7, all three of them have been canceled. The only Winick comic I really liked was his Caper mini-series

Good point on Herc, I never thought of that. Herc, Hulk, Thor.

• CRIME DOES NOT PAY: A 224 page color collection of this historically important series for 20 bucks? No-brainer.

TALES OF BATMAN (BY GENE COLAN): Interesting, but ultimately I gave it a pass. Good stuff inside, though. You Bat-fans might want to consider this one.

AQUAMAN: DEATH OF A PRINCE: You know, I own the original issues of the comics reprinted in this collection but I’ve never read them? I’ll read them now.

JACK KIRBY OMNIBUSSTARRING GREEN ARROW: I’m not so interested in the Green Arrow stuff since that’s been reprinted before (and if it were just that, I’d give this one a pass), but where else am I going to find all of the other oddball stuff he did for DC in the late ‘50s? And in a single volume? Another no-brainer.

SHOWCASE PRESENTS DOC SAVAGE: I don’t usually let sentiment dictate my purchases, but this is my version of Doc Savage. I wish there were more reprints of Marvel magazines from the ‘70s which were intended to be seen in b&w.

LI’L ABNER Vol. 3: No explanation necessary.

ARCHIE’S JOKE BOOK: I didn’t pre-order this one because this getting to be an expensive month, but if it ships on a light week and looks good, I may buy it anyway. (I’ve been buying a lot of Archie stuff lately!)

BREED III: Breed is probably my least favorite Jim Starlin property, but “bad” Starlin is still better than good ‘most anybody else. I own the Bravura material, so I’ll likely re-read it all in a sitting.

KIRBY GENESIS: ‘Nuff said.

“ATLAS ERA” VENUS: Wow!

I also pre-ordered the DVD of the first eight episodes of the 1953 “Terry and the Pirates” TV show. I’ve seen collections of this on VHS and DVD in the past, but I’ve never seen the show itself. For me it’s a win/win: either it’s good and I win, or it’s bad and I win in a completely different way.

That’s not everything I’m buying in May, of course; just the notable ones.
  • Dark Horse - No Dark Horse Presents or Usagi Yojimbo this month...so no Dark Horse.

DC - Wow...I'm buying a lot of Batman comics these days...Outsiders and Sirens are really the only ones I'm NOT buying. I'm so happy to see Xombi back and I hope the original series is collected soon. I get a bunch of the Johnny DC titles for various kids. The only monthly Vertigo I pick up is iZombie. I read Unwritten in trade. My sister is a Wonder Woman fan, so I pick that up for her.

IDW - OK, they got me on the new Rocketeer Advenutures...a great line-up of creators and the character is a big sentimental favorite of mine. I'm still enjoying Kill Shakespeare and my sister, who studied at the Shakespeare Institute in Stratford-upon-Avon, loves it. Matt Smith's Doctor seems to lend himself much better to comic adventures than Eccleston or Tennant, so I'm getting both new Who comics, the ongoing and the Fairytale Life mini.

Image - Holly likes Proof a lot...but no issue this month.

Marvel - I'm ordering Sigil and Ruse. My girls' babysitter likes the Marvel Jane Austen comics, so Emma is on the list. FF, Spider-Girl, and Amazing Spider-Man have become this mini-family of titles and, thus, I'm reading all three. The Marvel Adventure books are read and given to various kids. My secretary is a big Misty Knight and T'challa fan, so I order Heroes for Hire and Black Panther for her. I've actually, for the time being, given up on the X-books. I'll be back someday, I'm sure.

Archie - I order most of the Archie books to give away. My girls like the smaller size graphic novels and Sabrina has one this month. Life with Archie is one of my personal faves, so it's on the list.

Boom! - Any title starring a duck, minus Darkwing, I order. There is a $1 Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck issue this month. Huzzah! My neices love Mickey Mouse, so I get his book for them.

Dynamite - Kirby Genesis by Kurt Busiek earns a look and it's only a dollar.

Oni - Holly is a BIG Courtney Crumrin fan so the second issue of her mini-series is ordered.

Top Shelf - And I'm a BIG Colleen Coover and Paul Tobin fan, so Gingerbread Girl makes it.

Magazines - I've always ordered the UK Doctor Who magazine, but in April the US gets its own version, Doctor Who Insider. Both my girls and their babysitter get their own copies of that one.
  • Is this for May?  The Kirby Genesis thing - which I'd never heard of before today - looks great.  I'll be aboard!
  • What's Kirby Genesis?
  • It's being sold as Kirby's own properties being brought together and given the Ross-Busiek Marvels treatment.

Check it out

• Yeah what pretty much what Figs, said. Busiek & Ross are taking some of Kirby's lesser known creations (like Silver Star) and putting them into a comic book (universe) together.
  • Topps Comics' "Kirbyverse" turned out to be something of a let-down, but that doesn't mean this one has to be.

I'm looking forward to it. 

• I liked the creator-owned Marvel-published mini from a couple of years ago using Kirby designs and written by his daughter...I can't remember the title, though.
This reply was deleted.