Replies

• Good topic, John. I'll have to give the superhero series some thought.

The independant series I frequently mention are (in no particular order) Paper Girls, Grass Kings, Stray Bullets and (now, again) Strangers in Paradise.

• Probably One-Punch ManMy Hero Academia and New Super-Man.

• Oh, and Squirrel Girl and Spider-Gwen.

The Baron said:

Probably One-Punch ManMy Hero Academia and New Super-Man.

• I'm always a sucker for good team books, so current Avengers and Justice League are books I look forward to, because they're well done. (Not so much Justice League of America, which is poorly written, IMHO.) 

Doctor Strange is probably my favorite Marvel book. I've always liked the character's look, and his Cumberbatch Personality Transplant has really made the book sparkle. The art currently is pretty mediocre, but the story carries it.

I'm way behind on Image books -- I haven't sampled any in probably a year. If I did, I'd probably have a few more favorites. I've been posting some press releases of interesting-looking Image books in hopes of some commentary from those who read them, to help me zero in on the first ones to try.

Batman, with the marriage storyline, has been very good. I told my wife that the story where Clark, Bruce, Lois and Selina go to the county fair is one that was 70 years in the making. I'm behind on Detective, but enjoyed it while I was there for its effort to erase all the "everyone's mad at everyone" theme that's dragged on for years.* I've enjoyed Aquaman -- I started reading it because it was at the top of the alphabet, and stayed with it for the world-building. 

The Archie horror books are entertaining. Vampironica is well drawn, too. (The others, not so much. I can't stand the art on Sabrina.) Archie is usually good, but they haven't put an artist on Jughead yet that I like. Needless to say, the art on Betty & Veronica is gorgeous.

Um. There's more, but I'll have to add them as I think of 'em.

* I was really disappointed in "Death of the Family," whose point was, apparently, to have everybody get mad at Batman over something relatively trivial, instead of being mad at The Joker for trying to kill them all. When Batman and Dick Grayson had a falling out 40 years ago it was shocking; now it's just tedious.

• Astro City -- because, well, Astro City.

Unbelievable Squirrel Girl -- Just fun.

Ms. Marvel -- Kamala is awesome.

• Mister Miracle.

• As for Why:

Squirrel Girl: Fun comic with a rare hero who tries to solve things non-violently.

Spider-Gwen: An interesting alternate universe.

One-Punch Man: The funniest super-hero I've ever read, and an engaging story.

My Hero Academia : A well-done take on the "Hero High School" concept.

New Super-Man and the Justice League of China: An engaging take on a Chinese super-team.

Ms.Marvel: One of the more believable "kid heroes" that I've seen.

• Ooh, yeah, Mr. Miracle. Thanks, Jeff. That one has the makings of a classic, if the ending is as good as the set-up. If not, it'll still be one to talk about for years.

• Astro City, Kill or Be Killed, and Detective Comics are three that quickly come to mind. 

Astro City is the same high quality it's always been, and I'm going to miss its monthly presence when it moves to an OGN format. 

Kill or Be Killed is the latest Brubaker/Phillips book, about an urban vigilante who is spurred on by a demon only he can see to kill criminals. Lately, he's been locked up in a sanitarium while a copycat killer is out on the streets. Every issue is terrific, and in back there's always a great essay on an old crime or horror movie I need to see. 

Detective Comics was an unexpected surprise, making me care so much about characters I'd written off as another generation's heroes -- Tim Drake, Cass Cain, Steph Brown, Azrael, and more. I'm going to be sorry when Tynion leaves in a couple months, especially because it seems like the whole team he built will come crashing down around him; whoever's up next will have a hard act to follow.   

• Speaking of Kill or Be Killed, Comixology is having an Ed Brubaker sale right now, so you can get collections of that title, as well as The Fade Out (probably my favorite), Fatale, Criminal, Scene of the Crime, and Velvet for really good prices. 

This reply was deleted.