I was looking through some old comics when I thought of a new game. I call it Three of a Kind. Here's my first entry. 

Hoy

Views: 3134

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hadn't either. I especially like the Witching Hour one.

Hoy Murphy said:

Cool!  I had never seen those other two covers. 

Hoy

Peter Wrexham said:

The three "fingers" covers I've already posted form a set featuring super-heroes  That Sensation cover is part of another set I had lined up of horror covers.  Here they are.

To me, the Witching Hour cover suggests a game of Cluedo (Clue in the US, I think) gone wrong.  Certainly, three of the fingers are in the form of a gun, a dagger, and a rope, and those are standard murder weapons in Cluedo.  This may merely be a coincidence, as the remaining fingers (skull and snake) don't match this pattern.

It's probably coincidence, as they're iconic forms of murder weapons. Now, had there been a candlestick, that'd be different. And it would have been hilarious if they'd done that!

BTW, I had to look it up, and I gotta say, "Cluedo" is such an arcane play on words that it's obvious the American version makes way more sense. Just saying.

-- MSA

You reckon "Cluedo" is an arcane play on words?  I take it that the board game "Ludo" isn't well known in the US?  When I was a kid, it was one of the standard children's games in the UK, like "Snakes and Ladders", Draughts (Checkers in the US, I think) or Snap.

It's probably pretty much forgotten by kids today, playing on their electronic whatsits.  And by the way, get off my lawn!

The whole thing came full circle with Cluedo being parodied as "Lewdo," a rather silly-looking "adult" variation:

You have to determine which character did someone in which room with what, uh, accessory.

Also, Clue/do itself is available as an electronic whatsit.

Peter Wrexham said:

You reckon "Cluedo" is an arcane play on words?  I take it that the board game "Ludo" isn't well known in the US?  When I was a kid, it was one of the standard children's games in the UK, like "Snakes and Ladders", Draughts (Checkers in the US, I think) or Snap.

It's probably pretty much forgotten by kids today, playing on their electronic whatsits.  And by the way, get off my lawn!

Here's a Three of a Kind:

You reckon "Cluedo" is an arcane play on words?  I take it that the board game "Ludo" isn't well known in the US? 

I checked it out on Wikipedia, and it said "Cluedo" is a play on the combination of "Clue" and  "ludo," which is Latin for "play." Oooookay. 

But in the reference notes, it mentions that maybe the name was a takeoff on the popular game Ludo. Gee, you think?

I am apparently familiar with Ludo, but we call it Parcheesi. 

>>When I was a kid, it was one of the standard children's games in the UK, like "Snakes and Ladders", Draughts (Checkers in the US, I think) or Snap.

Snakes & Ladders is Chutes & Ladders here, we scare easily (and who wants to ride a snake down a few rows? That makes no sense. But I digress.). Checkers is called Checkers in the US. I never played Snap. I'm not sure what American standard kids' games were: C&L for sure, maybe Candyland, Life and Sorry. Then later Monopoly Stratego and Clue. It's been a while since I was a kid.

-- MSA

Oh! Parcheesi is Ludo (or vice versa)?  Well, I never knew that.  I have occasionally encountered the name "Parcheesi" in American novels, where it is obviously a game of some sort from the context.  I didn't know what sort of game, so I probably assumed it was a card game of some kind.

I believe that Checkers is what we call Draughts in the UK.

It's been quite a while since I was a kid, too!

It's more than just a sugarless gum!

Hoy

Aquaman sometimes is portrayed with a trident, but he's usually on the receiving end.

-- MSA

...and sometimes Thor's on the receiving end.

Kids grow up so fast these days. 

Hoy

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service