Thunder Agents: The Overlooked Treasure of Wally Wood

I'm am curious how many of us are closet Thunder Agent fans.

Is there a website or a thread here that deals with all things T.H.U.N.D.E.R  related?

Where does one go to learn more about this failed Wally Wood experiment?

(I miss my childhood.))

Views: 499

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How so? Did the rights just come on the market?  Or are you implying that DC is monitoring this forum thread?

Philip Portelli said:

I just found out that IDW now has the rights to the THUNDER Agents, which is really fast movement from DC!

I have no idea, really. In 2011 DC was publishing THUNDER Agents and next year it will be IDW so that's a fast turnaround, relatively speaking.

I wonder if this is why someone though Midge and Moose had their own comic?

Craig Boldman said:

The Tippy spin-off title, 'Go Go and Animal' centered on characters who appeared to be clones of Midge and Moose

Yeah a few weeks ago I saw that IDW got the right to the Agents. Not terribly surprising that DC no longer has them since their two series failed miserably sales wise. I picked up the first series, but didn't enjoy it enough to try the second one.

Kirk G said:

How so? Did the rights just come on the market?  Or are you implying that DC is monitoring this forum thread?

Philip Portelli said:

I just found out that IDW now has the rights to the THUNDER Agents, which is really fast movement from DC!

It's very similar to DC's handling of the Archie/MLJ heroes. They promote and praise the original characters through interviews, ads and its Archive series then introduce "improved" new versions that fail because DC does not put their A or even their B talents on them. There's no crossovering with their Big Guns: Batman does not meet No Man or the Black Hood, Superman does not team up with Dynamo or the Shield. No race between the Flash, the Comet and Lightning. They they get cancelled and repackaged even worse, then dropped.

Sometimes it seems like DC wants to lease the rights of certain characters just so no one else can publish them, then they damage the brand names so any future success is unlikely. Favorite sons and all that!

For some reason Quality and Charlton characters come to mind...

And note how REAL men don't need to use guns or machine guns the right way...they swing them like bats!

They must be bullet proof also!

George Poague said:

http://www.comics.org/issue/20275/cover/4/

Here is Tower demonstrating that one G.I. can easily clobber those pesky Viet Cong.

When I finally got to read the first issue of Fight The Enemy, I expected to see the same pool of artists who contributed to THUNDER Agents, but was surprised to find non-THUNDER talent Dick Giordano and Jose Delbo there.

Back to Menthor -- IMO, there was nothing wrong with that character that some editorial focus couldn't have turned around in short order. What puzzled me about his elimination was that they didn't seem to have a better replacement idea lined up. Aside from his introductory story, the Raven didn't seem a part of the group the way Menthor was. He never appeared on a cover with the others (except for #19's montage cover), and his stories didn't share the usual T.H.U.N.D.E.R. themes or enemies. He didn't do anything of note in the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. team stories, and he only put in cameo appearances in a Dynamo story or two. Also, in the universe of super-hero concepts, was a flying character supposed to excite anybody?

I only skimmed some of the DC issues, but I gather that in this go-round, NoMan was losing his essential essence bit by bit every time he switched to a new body. That might work as a metaphor for the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. concept itself, every time it jumps to a new publisher.

Does anybody know anything about this British import from the late eighties?

http://www.comics.org/series/67112/covers/

I'm am curious how many of us are closet Thunder Agent fans.

Well, Kirk, I'm duplicating your Atlas Masterworks experience by getting excited about THUNDER Agents. Previously I had only purchased Volume 1, but seeing that most of them are available new and for much lower prices, I now have 1, 2, 3, and 5 with 4 on the way!

I went hog wild and started ordering too many of these Archives.  Someone out bid me for volume 2, and 6, but I was winning for 3, 4, 5 at last check.  I'm concerned that I've over ordered too much.  So, if you want a few from me, I'd be happy to let you have my excess.  I'm not sure how many of them I'm going to want, ultimately.  But I hear one of the most dramatic scenes are in volume 2. 

- Also too bad a '60s paperback collection was called "Dynamo, Man of High Camp."

- Whoever put those paperbacks together clearly knew nothing about the characters, and probably not much about comics.

Actually Tower put those books out. I visited their offices back then and they sold me one.

Andy

Thank god someone else wanted those volumes more than I did. They bid the level up about five bucks each and took them away from me...freeing my cash up for my desired Amazing Fantasy Omnibus that i was tracking. Unfortunately, that book sold five minutes earlier, and went for one dollar more than I had bid. So I'm very blue today...but at least I'm not "in the red".  Next time I might go a bit slower when ordering a THUNDER Agents volume #1 or #2 in the archive series.

(And be more agressive for a low priced AF Omnibus if it ever comes on the market again!)

Kirk G said:

I went hog wild and started ordering too many of these Archives.  Someone out bid me for volume 2, and 6, but I was winning for 3, 4, 5 at last check.  I'm concerned that I've over ordered too much.  So, if you want a few from me, I'd be happy to let you have my excess.  I'm not sure how many of them I'm going to want, ultimately.  But I hear one of the most dramatic scenes are in volume 2. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service