Replies

• Ah, Shame.

• Aw, no.

• I turned on the TV to the "news mix" channel today, and CNN, Fox, MSNBC and BBC were all doing the same story.

The Acid Queen.

• She really seemed eternal, didn't she? Evidently, she had been ill for some time, but the cause hasn't been named anywhere that I've seen.

• The Daily Mail reports Tina Turner died of natural causes. She had had a bout with intestinal cancer back in 2016, and also had high blood pressure for a long time that led to her kidneys failing, so her husband donated one of his to her in 2017.

• I was going to comment earlier but was taken aback by her likely suffering at the end.

Now we know that Tina had a kidney replacement in the past, I am inclined to think that kidney failure and its effects may have been what caused her death.

My mother used to annoy me by saying that the older movies were better than the movies of the 60s and 70s. Having belatedly become a fan of movies from the 30s, 40s and 50s I have been enjoying a mixed bag of them over the last few years. I find myself looking up some of the actors biographies on IMDB. I'm happy if they lived long lives and bummed out if they died too young or died of something easier to cure today.

I haven't seen much of her work (there isn't much), but Jean Harlow was very popular and should have had a long career. Sadly, kidney failure ended her life at 26 before there was any such thing as a kidney transplant. I'm grateful that we had Tina Turner all these years and grateful that medical science continues to advance.

• People look at Tina Turner as a survivor because she escaped years of domestic abuse at the hands of Ike, started over with nothing but 39 cents and a Mobil gas credit card -- willfully left behind everything she and he accomplished during those years: the money, the publishing rights to their music, their Grammy -- and reinvented herself into being the biggest star in the music universe. And looked damn good doing it, too!

But I've seen another appellation for her: Warrior. It's somehow become a thing to say "Rest in Power" instead of "Rest in Peace," but for her, both terms fit. 

• Our pal Figserello mentioned on Facebook that Tina Turner has become an essential part of Australian culture. Her song "Nutbush City Limits" was always used as a line dance to close out disco nights, and became so ubiquitous that you can get any Australian up and dancing just by dropping the needle.* In 2018, more than 4000 people gathered in the outback to set the world's record for the world's biggest Nutbush dance.  

*when I went to play the song on YouTube, I saw this comment: "warning: do not play this song around an australian in a confined space"

This reply was deleted.