I thought a thread of this kind might help out our new members. If anyone has a question, just ask away.

When you're writing a post, you can make the html tags in it visible by pressing the 'html' button (the rightmost one above the reply box). This is particularly helpful if you want to put a "reply" quote at the start of your post. When you press the "reply" button immediately below a post you want to respond to, the board brings up a box with the post's text in a blockquote (at the bottom of the box). If you bring up the html, you can place your own text after the quote by placing it after the /blockquote instruction.

I sometimes write my posts in Word and then transfer them across. This can result in unwanted formatting effects, so when I do this, I switch to html format and cut out the chaff I don't want.

Views: 1349

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No, you can move a discussion from Forum to forum without anything being lost. I moved my Adam Strange discussion into the Silver Age forum for a while, but none of them bit! D'oh!

Thanks for the advice, Figs. It's been moved and all is well.

Is anyone else having technical problems with the board? The "formatting" section is not coming up for me, I can't edit posts once I hit "add reply", and the white space where you type turns yellow when I'm tying in it (which it does not normally do). This started just this week.

Henry, it's happened to me a few times. It seems to come and go.

Been like this for day now at my end. I don't feel like posting to my NEW GODS thread if I can't use "formatting" (which includes LINKS to images.)

I've been seeing this for weeks (maybe months -- I haven't been counting).  Most of the time, the formatting buttons return if I refresh the page.  Sometimes I need to go out of the thread and come back in again.  I've never been unable to get them back at all.

Hey!  It's working again!  (Been not working for almost a week now.)

Mr. Silver Age said: (here)

Thanks for the notion that I can deal with the HTML, but I doubt I'd have any idea what I was doing. But I'm willing to take any suggestions anyone has on how they do it.

I'm no expert, but here's what I've worked out. In the HTML version of a post with images the images are positioned by the instructions "align-left", "align-right" or "align-center". If you use "align-left" or "align-right" the text following the image in the HTML appears next to the image. If you use "align-center" it appears below it.

In your post with images here the first image is set to "align-right", the second to "align-center" and the third to "align-left". If you had set both the first two images to "align-left" the second would have appeared next to the first on the same tier, with the "Dave" paragraph to the right of them. If you had set the first to "align-left" and the second to "align-right" they would have appeared on the same tier with the text between them. (If you had set the first to "align-right" and the second to "align-left" they would still have appeared on the same tier with the text between them, but the other way around.)

You should be able to prevent text from appearing next to an image by adding paragraphing (that is, hitting "enter" enough times). I had trouble getting this to work in this case, for reasons which elude me. I solved the problem by switching out of HTML mode, adding an unwanted word before the text, paragraphing enough times after the word, and then eliminating the word.

To experiment, hit the "reply" button below your own post, switch to HTML mode to make changes, and switch back to non-HTML mode to see what they've done. You can do this without hitting "Add Reply".

I posted them with those directions you note. However, I posted them in the reverse of what  you list. The one at the very bottom was the first one I posted. I posted them with the cursor next to each image as Align Left-Center-Right, and that was how they appeared in my Reply box. I'd never tried to do three in a row before, so I was skeptical they'd appear as they looked.

The problem arises only when I'm posting images alone or with a small amount of copy. There's never much problem making them come out as I plan when I'm posting images surrounded by copy. I'll try the HTML mode and see what happens. I've never gone near that, as I figured I wouldn't be able to figure it out, but it can't hurt. Thanks!

-- MSA

I don't know why the order reversed (sometimes when I try to to add a link to a post the reply box adds it at the start of the box instead of where I mean it to go, but I've never figured out why). I think one can't post an image next to an "align-center" image, so to get adjacent images you'll have to set consecutive images to "align-left" or "align-right".

I think if I set consecutive ones to Align Left, they stack. I know that if I want to post an image with a small amount of copy next to it and then do that a second time, the best way to do it is to use the Space bar and add invisible characters. Maybe I'll try that with some of the images by themselves. It seems to react to something on the page before I start typing, so maybe if I actually do type, I'd be able to control it among the existing "characters". Thanks for the suggestions.

-- MSA

All of a sudden I'm getting these "chat" links at the bottom of my screen, on this board.  WTF?  They're in the way and annoying.  Any way to make 'em go way?  (They weren't there before. I'd have noticed by now.)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service