I thought a thread of this kind might help out our new members. If anyone has a question, just ask away.

When you're writing a post, you can make the html tags in it visible by pressing the 'html' button (the rightmost one above the reply box). This is particularly helpful if you want to put a "reply" quote at the start of your post. When you press the "reply" button immediately below a post you want to respond to, the board brings up a box with the post's text in a blockquote (at the bottom of the box). If you bring up the html, you can place your own text after the quote by placing it after the /blockquote instruction.

I sometimes write my posts in Word and then transfer them across. This can result in unwanted formatting effects, so when I do this, I switch to html format and cut out the chaff I don't want.

Views: 2021

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...Thank you .

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Not as such, no. I believe the redesign swapped it out in order to better highlight the columnists.

Anyone else not able to format, edit or delete posts? I tried refreshing the page, and signing out and back in again, but no luck.

In the past I've had posts "freeze" on me so I couldn't delete them. I never figured out what makes this happen, and it hasn't happened to me for a long time. Is it just the one post, or is it any post? I'm not having any trouble. I browse using Explorer.

I can't edit or delete any posts right now, and I have to enter italics and bold and such manually.
I could when I posted the above (I played with italics to check), but now I'm not getting the controls.
It won't let me edit or delete either. When I try the page flicks to the top of the page.
That's what happens to me, too.

Just some suggestions, Baron. Try deleting the cookies in your browser, or maybe even trying a different browser. Update your browser if you are using an older version. 

For a while there were some functions that I completely lost when using Firefox. Everything seems kosher now.

Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

Just some suggestions, Baron. Try deleting the cookies in your browser, or maybe even trying a different browser. Update your browser if you are using an older version. 

For a while there were some functions that I completely lost when using Firefox. Everything seems kosher now.

Tried deleting the cookies at the time. It didn't work then, but it seems to be functioning now.

I can think of two explanations of why the problem didn't start for us at the same time (there may be others; I'm not computer savvy). The first is that Ning was fiddling with the board's code or settings and what they were doing affected Firefox users before Explorer users. The second is that the problem was caused by a cookie and you got the cookie before me. The problem ended for me after I did a full system scan using Norton that caught a cookie, but that may be a coincidence.

Last night I received a message from Ning when I tried to access a thread that "this social network is undergoing maintenance," or words to that effect. Maybe this maintenance session messed it up. This morning I was able to post normally using the controls to change text to italic and bold. I also tried to bring in an image and it worked as far as I took it.

I still prefer Firefox but have noticed that it is constantly updating, which seems to interfere with any internet activity. I've gotten to the point where I turned off the automatic updating of Firefox in favor of doing it manually every so often before I start accessing the internet. This has improved things but I still occasionally have it freeze up completely (not just Ning) and have to kill it in Task Manager.

Now it's not working for me again.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service