Spider-Woman #1
Star Trek/Green Lantern: The Spectrum War #5

Ultraman, vol. 2, by Eiichi Shimizu & Tomohiro Shimoguchi

DC Comics Bombshells #5

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur #1

Starfire #6
The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #2

I bought DKIII #1 today and I loved it!

Yes, I had the day off today, so unlike the last five or six weeks' worth of comics, I have actually read it already. And yes, I fully expect to be hated around here for enjoying it. But nonetheless, I loved it.

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

And yes, I fully expect to be hated around here for enjoying it.

YOU'RE HISTORY'S GREATEST MONSTER!

Well, no, not really.

All-New, All-Different Avengers #2

Doctor Who: The Twelfth Doctor #14

Yesterday I  picked up the first volume of an interesting new manga, School-Live!, by Norimitsu Kaihou (Nitroplus), with art by Sadoru Chiba. The story is set at Megurigaoka Academy, an elite high school that emphasizes self-sufficiency, to the point of having a roof-top garden, and large on-site stores of supplies. There are four main characters - the three members of the School Living Club, and their faculty advisor. The three girls are Yuuri Wakasa, a big-sister type, Kurumi Ebisuzawa, who always carries a shovel, and Yuki Takeya, a good-natured, somewhat naive little sister type. Their faculty advisor is Megumi Sakura, a somewhat ineffectual but concerned woman, of a sort common in many high school highjinks manga. To this point, the book resembles any number of manga that revolve around odd high school clubs, which are a common subject in these stories. However, the story quickly takes an unexpected twist. The end of the first section gives the reveal that the girls are in fact that last survivors (at their school, at least) of an outbreak of the living dead. The light-hearted atmosphere swiftly becomes dark - the reason Kurumi carries a shovel everywhere is as a zombie-fighting weapon. We also begin to realize that Yuki is living in a fantasy world of total denial, imagining that she and her friends are camping out at the school as a club activity. Her two friends humor her, making a big game of it all. The big reveal of this first volume is that "Megumi" is a figment of Yuki's imagination. This is built up to carefully, you don't even notice at first that only Yuki actually sees Megumi, and it's only when we see Yuuri tending a rooftop grave that we understand. In the end, we see that Yuki saw Megumi killed right in front of her, at which point her mind snapped, and she retreated into a dream world. There's not a lot of blood and gore in it. Zack isn't the incessant theat that he is in things like High School of the Dead, just more of a constant (mostly) off-screen presence, making things like going to the ladies' room late at night life-threatening events. The girls are well-developed characters, capable but not perfect. The situation is well-developed, too. They happen to be in an optimal place to survive, but the book does address the fact that even the best-laid store of supplies will start to run out. This first volume ends with the reveal that they may not be the only survivors after all. Very good stuff, an interesting mix of genres, as though the girls from Azumanga Daioh had somehow fallen into a Romero movie. The art is good, too, really suiting the story.

DC Comics Bombshells #6

Doctor Who: The Twelfth Doctor #16

Hercules #2
Radioactive Spider-Gwen #3
Secret Wars #8
Starfire #7
Star Trek/Green lantern: The Spectrum War  #6
The Ultimates #2

Not even a bit curious about Scarlet Witch? Not even the novelty of it?

Or Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

The Baron said:

DC Comics Bombshells #6

Doctor Who: The Twelfth Doctor #16

Hercules #2
Radioactive Spider-Gwen #3
Secret Wars #8
Starfire #7
Star Trek/Green lantern: The Spectrum War  #6
The Ultimates #2

Philip Portelli said:

Not even a bit curious about Scarlet Witch? Not even the novelty of it?

Or Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

Nope.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service