Replies

• Do you know, I don't think I've ever actually seen anyhting with him in it? One of those actors I've always heard of, but never seen. Looking at the picture of him they have up on CNN.com, my first thought is, "Wow, that's Jamie Lee's dad, alright."

• The Baron said:
    Do you know, I don't think I've ever actually seen anyhting with him in it? One of those actors I've always heard of, but never seen. Looking at the picture of him they have up on CNN.com, my first thought is, "Wow, that's Jamie Lee's dad, alright."

I just had the same discussion with a co-worker. Well that part of not seeing him in anything. I think we finally had to get to Bad News Bears Go to Japan before I said, "Okay, now I saw that." But for what he was famous for? Nope.
  • Just looking at a Wikipedia list of Curtis' movies, I've seen, off the top of my head:

Houdini
    The Black Shield of Falworth
    Sweet Smell of Success
    Some Like it Hot
    Operation Petticoat
    Spartacus
    The Great Imposter
    Taras Bulba
    The Boston Strangler

and my favorite by far: The Great Race
  • The Baron said:
    Do you know, I don't think I've ever actually seen anyhting with him in it? One of those actors I've always heard of, but never seen. Looking at the picture of him they have up on CNN.com, my first thought is, "Wow, that's Jamie Lee's dad, alright."

You haven't seen Some Like It Hot?

Well ... I haven't either.
  • Jamie Lee's dad and Carrie Fisher's dad (Eddie Fisher) gone within a week of each other. The icons of the '50s are dropping fast.

Check out "The Defiant Ones" for one of Tony Curtis' best movies.
  • My memories of Tony Curtis are, as a child, seeing him as a Flintsones character, "Stoney Curtis" that he voiced! Watching "Houdini" and being mesmerized by the legend of the great magician and, every Saturday evening, enthralled by "The Persuaders" with him and a post-Saint, pre-Bond Roger Moore.

Later I saw "Operation: Petticoat" and "Some Like It Hot".

Old Hollywood is dimmed one star today!
  • Tony Curtis mentions in Marvel Comics:

In FF No. 16 (1963, "The Micro World of Dr. Doom"), the Thing advises the Torch to "Leave the speeches to Tony Curtis!"

In Spider-Man No. 14 (1964, the first Green Goblin story), a movie producer exults: "We'll get Tony Curtis to play Spider-Man! Or one of the Beatles!"

PS: "Houdini" was one of my favorite childhood movies, too.
  • If only there had been a teaming of "Stoney Curtis" and "Ann-Margrock" ... what a Flintstones episode that would have been!

Remember, "Flintstones" was a prime-time show in the early '60s. It had adult viewers who would have gotten these references -- and might have noticed the whole thing was a riff on "The Honeymooners."

• George said:
    If only there had been a teaming of "Stoney Curtis" and "Ann-Margrock" ... what a Flintstones episode that would have been!

Remember, "Flintstones" was a prime-time show in the early '60s. It had adult viewers who would have gotten these references -- and might have noticed the whole thing was a riff on "The Honeymooners."

Speaking of, does anyone remember that yesterday was the Flintstones' 50th anniversary? NO! Not Fred and Wilma's, you goofs!!! :D :D :D

I think "The Great Race" was one of the best comedies ever... even with Tony Curtis showing a little of that "late-season-Captain-Kirk-midriff-bulge" in those topless scenes. Requiescat in pace.

xoxoxo
    x<]:o){
This reply was deleted.