So, it begins this week...JMS is taking Kal on a hard-travelin' hero journey across the country to reconnect after losing...again!...his people.  Will it be awesome or cringe-y...or both?  Let's take the trip together!

Views: 586

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

SUPERMAN #707: As the story opens, Superman is in Des Moines, Iowa and Lois Lane is in Smallville, Kansas. Speaking via cell phone, Lois says to Clark, “Why not come back here to Kansas? You’re just across the state line from Smallville, and I know that your mom and Conner would love to see you again.” Which state line would that be, exactly? Kansas and Iowa don’t share a border. I hate when comics make mistakes like that.

I probably shouldn’t let that error in geography detract from the main point of the issue, which is environmental concerns stemming from an industrial plant outside Smallville. Lois is writing an expose and Superman forbids her to do so. Whether he does so because Smallville is his hometown is unclear, but in a voicemail message left for Lois later in the story, Superman confides, “I don’t know what to believe anymore. Everything used to be so clear. Truth. Justice. The American way. But now? Now, I’m not sure about anything.” At the end of the issue, four young people wearing modified versions of Superman’s costume arrive (apparently from the future), and introduce themselves as the “Superman Squad.”

This is the first issue scripted by Chris Roberson from J. M. Straczynski’s notes, but I must say he’s not off to a very auspicious start. That, and I’m less sure than ever of JMS ever finishing The Twelve for Marvel.
Wow...poor Superman.  He probably throws this series across the universe every month and reads All-Star again.
Jeff of Earth-J said:
Superman confides, “I don’t know what to believe anymore. Everything used to be so clear. Truth. Justice. The American way. But now? Now, I’m not sure about anything.” /div>

Excuse me, but ... wasn't part of the point of Final Crisis was that we don't need a whiny, diffident Superman, we need a strong, confident one? And wasn't the point of One Year Later that Superman went off and got his act together?

What is this?
Can I still say that I want my Superman to tell this Superman to stop commiserating and BE a hero? Please?

This would indicate a way out of this...

Chris Roberson may just be pulling this thing out of a nosedive...

It's pretty obvious he's being mind controlled.  It would be best to see how this particular story plays out before making a judgment about the direction of the series.

ClarkKent_DC said:
Jeff of Earth-J said:
Superman confides, “I don’t know what to believe anymore. Everything used to be so clear. Truth. Justice. The American way. But now? Now, I’m not sure about anything.” /div>

Excuse me, but ... wasn't part of the point of Final Crisis was that we don't need a whiny, diffident Superman, we need a strong, confident one? And wasn't the point of One Year Later that Superman went off and got his act together?

What is this?

I guess it remains to be seen whether JMS is treating the character wrong. As you said, it could be mind control, or some other extenuating circumstance. But regardless, it seems pretty clear to me (someone who was really rooting for the story at the beginning) that there's something wrong about the way they've crafted the story. At the very least, I think they've overestimated fans' patience.

They can explain Superman's behavior -- and that explanation may actually make sense in comic-book science -- but it's unlikely to go back and make these earlier issues a more enjoyable experience.

I wasn't talking about the arc in general.  I was speaking of this particular storyline where he demands Lois kill a story.

Rob Staeger said:

I guess it remains to be seen whether JMS is treating the character wrong. As you said, it could be mind control, or some other extenuating circumstance. But regardless, it seems pretty clear to me (someone who was really rooting for the story at the beginning) that there's something wrong about the way they've crafted the story. At the very least, I think they've overestimated fans' patience.

They can explain Superman's behavior -- and that explanation may actually make sense in comic-book science -- but it's unlikely to go back and make these earlier issues a more enjoyable experience.

Ah, okay -- yeah, best to let that play out.
ISSUE #708: This story turned a corner last issue (with Chris Roberson scripting over JMS’s plot), and this issue continues the direction as momentum builds. Something is starting to happen, at last! This issue follows up on ideas introduced in the #1,000,000 issues (as well as Superman #400), and reads a bit like an Alan Moore issue of Supreme. #708 also ties in with JMS’s Wonder Woman.
ISSUE #709: Superman and the Flash share a meal in a diner, while watching live coverage of a footrace between Superboy and Kid Flash (Superboy #5) in a subtle bit of cross-continuity we see all too infrequently these days. Another good effort marred by niggling little errors in script and art. On the script side, Superman wonders about the Flash “just which one of us was fastest.” On the art side, a waitress trips, dropping the tray with Barry’s dessert: a piece of pie and a cup of coffee with bowl of sugar. Barry decides to finish his meal before catching the waitress.

He snatches the pie out of the air in one panel, and in the next panel takes a bite, moving so quickly that the rest of the restaurant (save for Superman) seems frozen in place around them. A few panels later, the pie is once again in the air. He catches it a second time and sits it on the table uneaten. Then, on the way out of the restaurant he thanks the waitress and comments that “the pie was wonderful.” Other than that, Chris Roberson’s script continues the trend of getting JMS’s plot back on track.

You tell me: am I being pedantic or should I let those “niggling little errors” slide?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service