So, it begins this week...JMS is taking Kal on a hard-travelin' hero journey across the country to reconnect after losing...again!...his people.  Will it be awesome or cringe-y...or both?  Let's take the trip together!

Views: 585

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Clark's status is addressed in the early pages of issue 701:

Lois: What do I tell Perry about Clark?
Superman: Tell him I'm covering me the length of the trip.
Lois: Won't the other reporters notice that Clark was never among them?
Superman: They'll lose interest. You'll see.

It's also pretty clear that Lois doesn't quite know what the deal is, either, and the walk is a surprise to her as much as anybody.
Since I'm no longer a regular reader or even peruser of the Super-Titles, I have to ask:

Does Lois talk about "Clark" in the 3rd person all the time? Is she of the "I married Superman, Clark isn't "real" mentality?
I don't think so. I think in this case, she's specifically addressing the secret ID problem our Clark brought up, so she's using that name explicity. (For the reader's benefit, as much as for the clarity of their own conversation.)
OK.

If this were the Silver Age, I'd suspect that she got conked on the head or was under a witch's spell or something, and lost the ability to say the word "you."

"Good morning, Clark. How is Clark today? Would Clark like some tobasco on Clark's omelet?"
Rob Staeger said:
Clark's status is addressed in the early pages of issue 701:
Lois: What do I tell Perry about Clark? Superman: Tell him I'm covering me the length of the trip. Lois: Won't the other reporters notice that Clark was never among them?
Superman: They'll lose interest. You'll see.

It's also pretty clear that Lois doesn't quite know what the deal is, either, and the walk is a surprise to her as much as anybody.

"What do I tell Perry about Clark?"

What, you mean Clark gave this assignment to himself?

And what if Perry wants Clark to cover the local candidate for the House, up to and after the election? Or how the oil spill is affecting Metropolis Harbor? Or how the Metropolis school system is faring now that No Child Left Behind is another fad on its way out? Or just plain thinks he can't afford to have a reporter follow Superman walking across the U.S. for the next few months because he needs him close at hand more and Clark isn't going to get anything those other reporters won't get?
Well, it if was the Silver Age, she'd think Superman and Clark were different people, anyway! ;)
Hey, wasn't that Peter Parker outside the diner?

I don't know if I'm in for the long haul ... it didn't help that the first Black people we see in this story, six pages in, were drug dealers ...
Of course, if this happened in real life, a guy leaving his young, beautiful wife alone for long stretches of time is just asking for a divorce!
Hopefully, Superman will get a chance to watch some NASCAR and YouTube. I feel this trip is a preemptive attempt to keep Sally Floyd off his case.
ClarkKent_DC said:
Hey, wasn't that Peter Parker outside the diner?
Good eye!
ClarkKent_DC said:
I don't know if I'm in for the long haul ... it didn't help that the first Black people we see in this story, six pages in, were drug dealers ...

Yeah, that bugged me, too.

Another thing that disappointed me is that we'd already seen a scene between Superman and a jumper recently, in All-Star Superman -- one of my favorite Superman scenes ever, as a matter of fact. Not saying that this one didn't make it a little dusty in the room, but I couldn't help but compare.
Rich Lane said:
Hopefully, Superman will get a chance to watch some NASCAR and YouTube. I feel this trip is a preemptive attempt to keep Sally Floyd off his case.

I see your point -- but at the same time, I've seen Superman fight the Parasite enough for now. Whether or not he's in touch with the country, his stories have been out of touch with me. Seeing Superman tell that man to go see his doctor mattered to me in a way that Superman comics normally don't.
No, don't get me wrong; I actually enjoyed this issue a good deal. I just always worry about ham-fisted moralizing creeping into these kinds of stories.

Rob Staeger said:
Rich Lane said:

I see your point -- but at the same time, I've seen Superman fight the Parasite enough for now. Whether or not he's in touch with the country, his stories have been out of touch with me. Seeing Superman tell that man to go see his doctor mattered to me in a way that Superman comics normally don't.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service